How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jasonc

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:19 am

had an argument on the way home with a father and son. son turned onto the bikepath in front of me (there's a give way sign he went through) whilst I was coming past
yes, he stayed very left but it doesn't change the fact that he just went
seeing him coming (and not looking) I went all the way to the right
they caught up at the moggil rd lights and the father accused me of going too fast. yup. me speed was the problem IDIOT.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:04 pm

jasonc wrote:had an argument on the way home with a father and son. son turned onto the bikepath in front of me (there's a give way sign he went through) whilst I was coming past
yes, he stayed very left but it doesn't change the fact that he just went
seeing him coming (and not looking) I went all the way to the right
they caught up at the moggil rd lights and the father accused me of going too fast. yup. me speed was the problem IDIOT.
Don't you understand the problem is you were going too fast because his son is an idiot and everyone around him should be aware they have to be extra careful and ride very slowly :)
No signature

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:36 pm

Thanks bentnose. That made me giggle. Nowhere in my common sense metre could I find a situation where I'd let my daughter go through an intersection without me looking first. I think the father was the idiot. What chance does the son have with him for guidance?

tapatalk for Windows Phone. For when you want it done right

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:53 am

warm in brisbane this morning (expecting 39 at my place this arvo)
I noticed a few meburnians in the excuses thread this morning. I wonder if my arch nemisis rode.....

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:30 am

Dunno about TW, but I did :D Got lucky though, there was a break in the rain between 0450 and 0600 8) Meh, woulda just got wet :lol:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:00 pm

No excuses for me... :P

I went for the usual morning run this morning, prior to the ride to work. The first 10 minutes I saw only one cyclist on the Walmer Street and Kew Boulevard area. It wasn't raining and I'd dressed to get drenched. I thought to myself "Ha! All the fairweather people have decided to stay home and it is lovely outside"... Then the deluge and lightning and thunder came back... :shock:

I'm glad I wear triathlon shoes that are made to get a bit wet, because they were sopping. I was running (more like swimming) through rivers there on the MYT near the Children's Farm, trying to make sure I was near trees or things that were larger than me and watching out for things turning blue (an apparent sign they are about to get hit by lightning). I saw only about 3 cyclists in total in what is usually a very busy area. And only one other walker and two or so people out to walk their dogs.

Got home after the run, stripped the sopping wet running gear off, had a great warm shower (that didn't feel that much different to the run) and prepared for the wet ride in on the bike. And an extremely wet ride in it was too. The brakes weren't responding as fast as I'd like until they finally started gripping down the hill on Collins Street, the sunglasses probably should have stayed off and I was bemoaning the fact that I ride when I could have used the PT excuse to take a day off work. :P

It was count the cars day today too what with the PT woes. The ones who use Elizabeth Street, Richmond to cross Hoddle Street were backed all the way back to Church Street. The trusty ol' bike sails past them all!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:03 pm

My legs are still feeling sore for some reason, despite taking it easy & not doing a lot of cycling lately.

Had a wannabe hipster with a MGIF attitude on the way in today - pulls in front of me at the lights with a wibbly wobbly trackstand, ready for the Cat 6 KOM up the hill. Lights turn green & he is off, standing on the pedals & going as hard as he could up the hill. Sadly for him though, he was no quicker than an old fat slow bloke, but at least I had a smile on my face. :D

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:29 pm

I got doored by a women swinging open the car door while attempting to leave her parked car on my way home this afternoon. :(

Fortunately no injuries although my front SKS Longboard mudguard did take a pasting.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:20 pm

hope she was apologetic and you got money to replace it top_bhoy

I left work early and missed the storm by about 10 minutes. a few of my riding buddies copped it less than 10 minutes from home.

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:04 pm

jasonc wrote:hope she was apologetic and you got money to replace it top_bhoy

I left work early and missed the storm by about 10 minutes. a few of my riding buddies copped it less than 10 minutes from home.
Haha, I copped the Melbourne storm on the way in this morning. This afternoon was beautiful.

I'm not confident they'll pay up because although the woman was apologetic, she has an arse for a husband and he stopped just short of calling me a liar when I said I'd let them know of any costs for damages once I assessed if I could straighten it out once I got home. I dropped into the bike shop on the way home and they'll send me out a quote. The Longboard mudguards are about $100 so they are in for a shock. I'm not even going to spend my time to try and save them cash now.

Today I got very lucky and on reflection, the worst that happens is that I have to get new mudguards.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:36 pm

Holy moly that was nuts in Sydney today.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:49 pm

top_bhoy. go to the police and make a report. that'll sort him out

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:15 pm

jasonc wrote:top_bhoy. go to the police and make a report. that'll sort him out
Unfortunately it won't. The woman and I did swap contact details but the husband was still very suspicious that the damage wasn't existing damage. I was concerned he may persuade his wife not to pay out for damage hence I popped into the police station near the house to at least have the incident recorded. Although there are dooring laws in Victoria, they are only valid if the police are called to the incident. Further, although damage was caused to the bike, I was uninjured therefore the police are not interested and its now a civil matter. The best advice the Victorian police can offer if they don't pay up is to claim on insurance (not possible - I've 3rd party only) or take her to court. I can't say I am in any way impressed by the Victorian road laws and yet again, the victim is left without any sense of justice.

That said, best not to look too far ahead and think of the worst When I find out the cost, the woman may agree to pay up, I get the mudguard replaced and I am still happy to walk away in one piece.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:43 pm

Looked out this morning and thought: this is a day to take the train. I don't normally ride in insane weather when going to work. Coming home is fine but not on the way in. Listening to the radio I hear the trains are barely functioning. Oh well, time to get wet. Took the bike in and got soaked. Not many bikes around today and perfectly understandable, terrible weather.

Hopefully the trains are ok tomorrow as I have an interview for my supposedly ongoing job so it's suit time and no bike.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:42 am

I got wetter on the way home than on he way in :? Got to the M80 underpass to find the creek had spilled onto the path. Not one to worry about a little water (read I'm a moron) I plough straight in. Straight into 8 inches of slosh, on 25mm tyres :roll: Yep, slid out in the slime and side stacked into the abutment wall then bounced back up and kept going :lol: Got the feet soaked, and the arm all grazed up. Good thing....as I put on the still wet shoes whining about it this morning, the wife sees it and reckons I oughta have a spare pair 8) :lol: Problem solved. :D

RedlandSteve

Postby RedlandSteve » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:24 am

Thought I had ample time to get home before yesterday afternoon's thunderstorm but it travelled quicker than expected and caught me. Had a lightning bolt fly overhead and impacted a kilometre or two behind me. Enough to spook me to proceed to the nearest bus shelter to wait the rest out.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:39 am

In my commute last night I came across my first experience of an incessant bell ringer (IBR). This IBR had the bell almost on constant ding. I thought it was attached to his wheel it was so regular. He dinged it about a billion times when the taxi in front of him was reversing into a car park. I might add that the taxi had parked across the non-bike lane in Collins Street and was as close to the parked cars as possible so this rider could have easily just gone around to the right of the parking taxi (like I did) instead of deciding to ring his bell. Even after he went around this taxi he kept ringing his bell, I'm not sure whether it was to say to the taxis further along in the taxi rank (on Collins approaching Spring Street) to keep their doors closed (because he was riding right in the door zone) or something else like "I'm really pissed off for no reason at all".

After I passed him heading to the tight bike lane to the traffic lights at Spring Street he was still ringing and ringing his bell. It was very very annoying and completely unnecessary. He only stopped when he hopped off the bike and walked around the corner on the footpath into Spring Street.

Then, just in MacArthur Street there was a brace of about 12-13 ducks - I think some were adolescent, no ducklings, all trying to cross from Treasury to Parliament Gardens. The cars and tram on the other side had stopped to let them through. I went past and then watched in my rear vision mirror as they all waddled slowly across the rest of the road, with cars stopping for them. It was very cute. :)

This morning I saw the undertaker bicycle rider with the Knog sling bag and the really wobbly rear wheel again (the guy who undertook me and a left-turning car at speed last week). This morning he proceeded to run every red light he could (barring Hoddle Street). He was also coming too close to cyclists he was then overtaking and not giving enough room. Somehow I don't think telling him off would do anything as it looks like he clearly doesn't care. :roll:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:43 am

Summernight wrote:Somehow I don't think telling him off would do anything as it looks like he clearly doesn't care. :roll:
he's saving the environment yo!

on sylvan rd toowong, had a ute coming the other way start turning right in front of me this morning. driver finally saw me and stopped.
then on the road to the uni I had a close shave or two. nice.

very warm and humid in brissy this morning. probably another storm this arvo

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:09 am

A herd of cops on my commute today, 2 bicycle & 2 motorbike at the corner of [urlhttps://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Pyrmont+NS ... 18d8968278]Saunders St & Quarrymaster Drive, Pyrmont[/url] - strange as they were highly visible and it is unusual to any flagrant breaking of the law there in the morning - occasional illegally stopped vehicle, couple of motorised scooters, but that is about it. Another motorcycle cop just before the corner of Miller St & Harris St - a set of lights that almost all cyclist obey.

Oh well, maybe they were there for show following the buffoon's comments to the fish & chip wrapper on Saturday

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:48 am

Nice ride home last night. Came across old mate with the strong Austrian accent (think Swarzenegger) again, and again he gives me the big bellow let's go in his Arnie accent and lets rip :lol: I reckon he must peddle along looking for people to crush on the path :lol: Fit old dude tho 8)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:32 am

had a puncture on the commute in. warm again here in Brissy

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:00 am

Last night as I was waiting at the lights a fellow cyclist came up beside me and pointed at my Fly6 and went "Is that...?" To which I said yes, it was a camera. Then he asked whether the footage was displaying in real time on my sunglasses, to which I had to unfortunately tell him that no, I wasn't that space age. I mean, I do have a rear vision mirror anyway, but having the rear footage on a heads up display would be kind of cool too. :)

This morning a collision had just happened on the corner of Russell and Collins Street - a car was smashed into a wall on the Regent Theatre side, blocking the whole footpath. I have no idea what happened and I couldn't quite work out how the car got into the position it did. Hope no peds or cyclists were hurt.

and another photo:

and the duckies from Monday's commute:

and another photo:

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:41 pm

Summernight wrote:Last night as I was waiting at the lights a fellow cyclist came up beside me and pointed at my Fly6 and went "Is that...?" To which I said yes, it was a camera. Then he asked whether the footage was displaying in real time on my sunglasses, to which I had to unfortunately tell him that no, I wasn't that space age. I mean, I do have a rear vision mirror anyway, but having the rear footage on a heads up display would be kind of cool too. :)
Are those pics taken from the fly6 video? If so, impressive quality.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:35 pm

Top_Bhoy wrote:
Summernight wrote:Last night as I was waiting at the lights a fellow cyclist came up beside me and pointed at my Fly6 and went "Is that...?" To which I said yes, it was a camera. Then he asked whether the footage was displaying in real time on my sunglasses, to which I had to unfortunately tell him that no, I wasn't that space age. I mean, I do have a rear vision mirror anyway, but having the rear footage on a heads up display would be kind of cool too. :)
Are those pics taken from the fly6 video? If so, impressive quality.
No, those are stills taken from the handlebar mounted GoPro video. Markedly better quality than the Fly6, but hey, it is THE Action Cam, whereas the Fly6 is just for incident recording .:)

I'm having a spate of dumb/inconsiderate/impatient cyclists at the moment on my commutes. No MMs of note, just impatient cyclists. Last night and this morning I had a cyclist ride up from behind me and go in front at the lights when I was at the front of the bike box. I don't mind if people ride to the bike box, come alongside me and stay there or go in front if they are faster, but don't do it if you aren't.

Last night's one was just a guy coming up and parking himself pretty much completely over the pedestrian crossing when it was clear there was a perfectly good and useable bike box just behind. Maybe his brakes failed as he came to the intersection... :roll:

I thought he was going left, but turned out he wasn't. Didn't really bother me, but just thought it was a bit inconsiderate to the peds and needless.

This morning I was shaking my head as to why this cyclist did this:

Very small bike lane (which actually isn't a bike lane, FYI), no cars on either side and he pushes up on my left and then moves directly in front of me, really really close to me and my front wheel. He has earphones in and everything and did not acknowledge me whatsoever. I then had to go around him when the light changed and I must admit I let out a few words... :oops:

Stills: Before: Image Approaching: Image
Objects are closer than they appear... Argh! MY EYES!!

From the helmet, showing how close he was (that is my pink and black glove in the left bottom corner with the brifter and look at my wheel and his foot!):

What was the point???

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:50 pm

Had a deliverance encounter this morning - Union St Pyrmont - numpty in a range rover stops for the red light & red left turn arrow & then slowly half turns left to block the cycleway. I ride up to the open passenger window & conversation ensues - apparently he is allowed to drive through red lights because he has rego. He has a number of other "arguments" to justify his behaviour, including cyclists ride on the footpath when it suits them, and that I am fat (true but I am still 1/2 his weight) & he could knock me down with one hit. He declined my invitation to try it & then said he would run me down. As you can tell, like most bullies he was all talk no action. Banker :roll: