How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Usernoname

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Usernoname » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:56 am

Dry yesterday down the road at Gold Coast, nice breakie at Bundall for ride to work day. Real coffee, B&E sangers, mini muffins, fruit and juice. Win allround.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:12 am

Usernoname wrote:Dry yesterday down the road at Gold Coast, nice breakie at Bundall for ride to work day. Real coffee, B&E sangers, mini muffins, fruit and juice. Win allround.
Brisbane ride to work was postponed due to the weather. Unfortunately, the weather was good yesterday and rainy again today.

caneye

Postby caneye » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:08 am

i'm getting frustrated navigating around a particular round-a-bout during my morning commute. seems to be worse when leaving home earlier.
at 0630, i think most car users around Pennant Hills-Carlingford don't expect any other vehicles to be on the road so they just plough through round-a-bouts without stopping.
i've had a number of close calls from vehicle entering from the left not stopping (when i'm going straight through) and already midway through the round-about.

i'm taking it really slow riding through the round-a-bout but i believe this only reinforces some drivers' poor behaviour - "oh it's a slow cyclist. let me get ahead of him before he comes any closer .. ".

far too many close shaves. giving me the hibbie jibbies each morning.

alternative route by-passing the rounad-a-bout means taking the lane on a much busier road ..

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:39 am

Fire up the photon torpedoes and load the sonic cannon...(or lights and air-zound - your choice)

Cheers,

Cameron

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:39 pm

caneye wrote:i'm getting frustrated navigating around a particular round-a-bout during my morning commute. seems to be worse when leaving home earlier.
at 0630, i think most car users around Pennant Hills-Carlingford don't expect any other vehicles to be on the road so they just plough through round-a-bouts without stopping.
i've had a number of close calls from vehicle entering from the left not stopping (when i'm going straight through) and already midway through the round-about.

i'm taking it really slow riding through the round-a-bout but i believe this only reinforces some drivers' poor behaviour - "oh it's a slow cyclist. let me get ahead of him before he comes any closer .. ".

far too many close shaves. giving me the hibbie jibbies each morning.

alternative route by-passing the rounad-a-bout means taking the lane on a much busier road ..
put a speed bump there, contact the council

As for me, seems funny

This week, met other cyclists more than I used too, even on the Parramatta rd and Punchbowl rd which many deem dangerous. Also love seeing kids on their bikes too. Magpies seem to stop attacking. On macaulay st, saw a pair of kids confused as the footpath was being repaired and being poured wet cement and the workers forgot to provide a path.

Had one of those aggresive drivers behind (the tradies are the culprit as usual) in Summer hill, so had to take the lane.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:24 pm

Found the only wet road in Brisbane. Joy

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:32 pm

I found my 312km / week (with 3750m climbing) commute was pretty good training for 29 consecutive days of Pyrénées cycling (I rode from Sep 6 to Oct 4), and this, oddly enough, is perfect training for my commute! :P

Hills? What hills?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:37 am

Decent storm in Brisbane yesterday afternoon so I had to do some CX to get over a fallen tree. Blue skies once the fog cleared

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:12 am

commuting battery woes.

VIRB battery #1 dies at 50% now.
Battery #2 (back-up) was working fine till last week's wet commute. i discovered water inside the battery case, despite the waterproof seal.
the camera works fine but battery #2 now does not charge AT ALL. grumble, grumble ...

picked up a new battery from fleabay in the mean time ..

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:09 am

Left a Ferrari in my wake this morning. Yes traffic was heavy, why do you ask ? :)

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:27 am

find_bruce wrote:Left a Ferrari in my wake this morning. Yes traffic was heavy, why do you ask ? :)
Nice one.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:45 am

First commute of the season above 30 yesterday Arvo

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:06 am

Had a nice extended commute through the drizzle to work today. Its nice to get in a different route to break up the monotony of the usual every day.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:44 pm

The roadworks for the Chandler Highway bridge (Melbourne, for those not local to this area) are clearly managed by someone who cares nothing for pedestrians and cyclists. Today, I made the mistake of riding this way on my ride home, only to find that not only is the path under the bridge completely blocked, but the pedestrian crossing near the bridge is also gone. Myself and several other cyclists waited patiently, then impatiently, for quite a while, watching the endless lines of cars going by in both directions, with not a single motorist willing to stop even for a few seconds to let anyone cross. Eventually, I just forced my way across, by waiting until a slightly larger gap presented itself, then riding halfway across, then doing the other half when finally a motorist decided to stop and wave me through (so not all of them were selfish). Naturally, when I rode across the first half of the road, the oncoming motorist used his horn at me, for daring to try to cross his road.

What moron runs this show?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:31 pm

60km commute this afternoon, just brilliant. :D

Rode 440km last week too - some of it commutes, some of it extra add-on kms to the commute rides, weekend rides. Nice.

kb

Postby kb » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:55 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:The roadworks for the Chandler Highway bridge (Melbourne, for those not local to this area) are clearly managed by someone who cares nothing for pedestrians and cyclists.

What moron runs this show?
Was going to reply I don’t know what you’re talking about, go that way all the time. Must’ve got there too early - trip home yesterday and in today was moderately unpleasant. Drivers were reasonably considerate for a change though..,

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:27 pm

caneye wrote:commuting battery woes.

VIRB battery #1 dies at 50% now.
Battery #2 (back-up) was working fine till last week's wet commute. i discovered water inside the battery case, despite the waterproof seal.
the camera works fine but battery #2 now does not charge AT ALL. grumble, grumble ...

picked up a new battery from fleabay in the mean time ..

And I left the Garmin on all day. :( Charged it up to 16% and that was enough for 51km ride home with about 3% left. It was a quite fast ride back.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:37 am

jasonc wrote:First commute of the season above 30 yesterday Arvo

Still under 10 in the morning here
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:52 am

No conflict with motorists or pedestrians this morning. Instead I just got some rude cyclists. Sometimes I think cyclists in Australia don't need any opposition from motorists or pedestrians, because they're their own worst enemies.
Last edited by Cyclophiliac on Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:23 pm

really hot this morning in Sydney, felt the hot winds, usually it;s chilly

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:57 am

hit 11k commuting for the year

splash_dad

Postby splash_dad » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:08 am

Only one attempt to hit me.

And the predicted 2pm rain waiting until 6pm for me.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:35 pm

I hate this country. Several times a week I get abused and treated with contempt by motorists, pedestrians, and sometimes even other cyclists. I can't afford to leave Australia permanently now, because age and finances are no longer on my side, so I'm stuck in a country that hates me, with only one way out, and I'm too bloody gutless and weak to take it.

4xsama

Postby 4xsama » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:12 am

Riding to work this morning from the Inner West. Approaching T intersection from the right (I had right of way) and a black Rav 4 rolled up to the junction. I watched the drivers eyes - saw he was only looking left so I threw out the picks just as he edged out. If I didn't stop I reckon there was a good chance he would have hit me - albeit gently.

I'd like to think you develop a sixth sense for this stuff. Either that or a heightened sense of awareness - or both.

Otherwise the ride was awesome. Beautiful and crisp morning. Dry roads and early so not too much traffic - what was there was moving slowly as usual. Gotta love a morning ride.

Cheers
Last edited by 4xsama on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
CANYON Inflite AL SLX 8.0 Pro Race. Pivot Mach 429 Trail

4xsama

Postby 4xsama » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:12 am

Last edited by 4xsama on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
CANYON Inflite AL SLX 8.0 Pro Race. Pivot Mach 429 Trail