How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

RobertL

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby RobertL » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:32 pm

Saw a woman today in Brisbane CBD with a Ferrari folding bike. I'm really not sure whether I like these collaborations between car and bike manufacturers, but she looked very stylish on it.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:33 pm

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:50 pm

Oooh - it "isn't hopeless". High praise indeed! LOL.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:35 am

Another angry taxi driver who can't see the traffic for the cars. Upset that if I wasn't in front of him he would have been stuck behind the same 4wd in front, which was stuck behind a truck. As usual on King St I had the last laugh as he remained stuck in traffic while I rode off. I am old & fat & slow but I'm still quicker than him.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:15 am

Not the nicest commuting conditions at the moment... big winds which are rarely behind me... worse they are mostly side wind and getting blown around the place... deep wheels are not helping and this morning got caught in the last part of last nights storm... less wind but a fair bit of rain..
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

kb

Postby kb » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:49 pm

Nice fast trip in today. I was pretty happy with under an hour elapsed time for the 28km 5mins of traffic lights. A friend managed 38km same speed but only 17 seconds not moving! Dream commute...

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:30 am

I love this time of the year. Prevailing southerlies at the end of the day, crispy mornings, nice arvos. :D

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:10 am

woke up to a magic morning...no wind or rain... should be taking it easy as I have a bikepacking gravel grind tomorrow but ended up KOM hunting and then CCR, so much for resting.

If anyone is interested re my ride this weekend, below is a link to the Live event tracking. The ride starts 8am Friday (NZ time so add 2hrs for East Coast and 3hrs for Qld). I presume live tracking will start just before then… (when the dots start moving). I am hoping to be commuting to work on Monday, gingerly at a guess.

https://megagrind2017.maprogress.com/?id=12061

Organisers spiel about the ride:

‘The ride itself is 780km of bikepacking goodness including the Waikato River Trail, the Timber Trail, out to the coast and heading north through Marakopa and Kawhia, then back inland to Ngaruawahia, Hamilton and Cambridge, then back to Rotorua via Putaruru and through the forest to Mamaku. As much singletrack, gravel road and quiet backcountry roads as we can muster.

There are not too many rules.
Do it all yourself, no outside support, commercial services only, no staying in private homes. No entry fee, no podium at the finish, and you must ride 100% of the course.

The fast riders should be able to complete the ride in three days, but there are no cutoff times so you can take it as long as you want.’
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:51 am

Caught the bus today, as I have a function after work. Just missed one bus, so had to wait 10 minutes. Normal morning traffic; 6 km journey. The trip door to door took almost exactly an hour.

When I ride, the journey is about 9.5km and it takes me about 30 minutes.

And my public transport is pretty good!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:50 am

Beautiful weather this morning in Perth. Pity about the idiots texting on their mobile phones while driving. No incidents or close calls, just makes me angry.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:53 am

6kms? I would have walked if i couldn't ride. It was perfect in Brisbane this morning

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:01 pm

After declaring Nov to be 'dirt month' and having the heavens open up, this morning's ride was to be more of a mud ride. Added a DIY marsh guard and ass saver to the MTB and didn't end up with too much splatter. I knew it was going to be wet/muddy, but was determined to enjoy it, and did.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

kb

Postby kb » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:43 pm

fat and old wrote:I love this time of the year. Prevailing southerlies at the end of the day, crispy mornings, nice arvos. :D
Down to 3.5° in Warrandyte but I like a bit of chill if it’s sunny.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:53 pm

jasonc wrote:6kms? I would have walked if i couldn't ride. It was perfect in Brisbane this morning
Yeah - I've never really considered walking to work. Perhaps I should. (I used to walk home occasionally - for the exercise - before I started commuting by bike.)

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:11 pm

For some reason I felt REALLY good on the ride home today. I didn't smash a whole bunch of PRs or anything, I just felt great. Climbed up the road out of work out of the saddle and felt good, where I normally spin my way up. It's great to be fit and healthy enough to enjoy riding a bike :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:08 am

Cyclist vs taxi outside my work this morning. His bike, a pinarello, is a writeoff. He went to hospital for a check up. Taxi driver was "assisting police with their enquiries"

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:43 pm

One of my kids was not well and was up repeatedly overnight, so I didn't exactly feel full of beans this morning. Still managed a couple of PRs though, surprisingly.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:19 am

An oncoming cyclist this morning just made an excellent case for mandatory cycle-training, riding on the far right of a shared path, and refusing to move left as he approached me. :roll:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:27 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:An oncoming cyclist this morning just made an excellent case for mandatory cycle-training, riding on the far right of a shared path, and refusing to move left as he approached me.
That's where you stop on the left and wait. It's ok, they will get back to driving soon :roll:
Another perfect morning in Brisbane this morning

HenryCharlie

Postby HenryCharlie » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:16 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:An oncoming cyclist this morning just made an excellent case for mandatory cycle-training, riding on the far right of a shared path, and refusing to move left as he approached me. :roll:
He will probably have an article published on News.com.au soon, complaining about why he's always copping abuse from male cyclists and their poor attitude.
I overtook some people going uphill once.

kb

Postby kb » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:49 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:An oncoming cyclist this morning just made an excellent case for mandatory cycle-training, riding on the far right of a shared path, and refusing to move left as he approached me. :roll:
Had someone do that to me last night. Only it wasn’t a shared path, it was a segregated bike lane with nowhere to go between intersections!

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:21 am

Well I had the surprise of yet more cars today that don't understand that they must give way to cyclists on the road to enter an intersection. I also had to enjoy another four wheel drive that could not care less to check their mirrors before pulling out of a car park.

Both got a blast of my "air horn." Both probably think I'm yet another "angry cyclist..." If the shoe was on the other foot... Problem is you would get charged if you kicked their door in, so I wont be doing that any time soon.

I pedaled around town today at 40km/hr. Most motorists are still surprised when a cyclist can keep up with the flow of traffic. Most motorists still don't seem to think they have to indicate when they're parking for cyclists either :roll:

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:20 pm

Kronos wrote: Most motorists still don't seem to think they have to indicate when they're parking for cyclists either :roll:
I work in the Brisbane CBD. We have some drop off/clearway parking in front of our building. Whenever I leave the building to cross the road (on foot) cars will pull out of those parking spots without indicating. You can see them checking behind to make sure that no vehicles are coming, and then pulling out.

My theory is that they believe that they only have to indicate for other motor vehicles. They just don't see cyclists or pedestrians as worth the effort.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:58 pm

Some people need a subtle reminder that bicycles are vehicles also :roll: As to pedestrians that's even worse.

kb

Postby kb » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:41 pm

Wet last night. Wet this morning. No doubt wet this afternoon.