How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

kx315

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby kx315 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:49 pm

Fantastic ride to work this morning............attempted trip home not so flash :roll: Jumped on bike flat front :shock: no worries install spare tube......pump up spare tube.....blow valve off spare (cheap piece of crap) taxi ride home :evil: Oh well tomorrow is a new day!
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:37 am

Left a bit later than planned yesterday afternoon, but decided to check out MYT and Darebin Creek Trail anyway. All rideable again, just the steep section of the underpass at Dunne St is still being patched.
Looked at the BoM radar this morning and resigned myself to a very wet ride. Left at 4am, thinking I'd beat at least most of the rain front, but a few kms in it started coming down. Decided to take the shorter way in and headed across to Reservoir and on towards St Georges Rd. Rain intensity increased all the way into the Melbourne CBD. When I arrived, I literally poured water out of my boots. Stuffed with paper now and the rest of the kit is drying out in front of a fan. Naturally, the rain eased up an hour later.

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:31 am

@Tailwind...dont you hate that soaked feeling...boots full of water and clothes drenched

Well I treated myself this morning, after feeling crap all week I gave myself a morning off....only did 45 k's instead of the normal 50. Just couldnt be bothered. Plus sky was dark with clouds, roads were wet with early morning drizzle (which I missed luckily) and it is friday.

Got issues with one of the mudguard nuts, its not tight enough and causing an annoying rattle. Tried fixing it last night but this mornings ride showed that my efforts were a failure, back to the drawing board tonite.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:18 am

gretaboy wrote:@Tailwind...dont you hate that soaked feeling...boots full of water and clothes drenched
Yep, that squishy, squelchy feeling with every pedalstroke does suck indeed. Any rain ride longer than 45 mins guarantees soaked shoes/boots for me, nevermind what I try.
I don't mind getting the rest wet, dries out quickly.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:31 am

TailWind wrote:
gretaboy wrote:@Tailwind...dont you hate that soaked feeling...boots full of water and clothes drenched
Yep, that squishy, squelchy feeling with every pedalstroke does suck indeed. Any rain ride longer than 45 mins guarantees soaked shoes/boots for me, nevermind what I try.
I don't mind getting the rest wet, dries out quickly.
anything longer than about 20 minutes gets you in that state up here. honourable reasons thread for me today, again...

lammy

Postby lammy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:44 am

rheicel wrote:Great afternoon ride. I took the long way home, ended up with 66km on the clock vs 5.5km, :D
Took this photo with just 5km to go while having a banana break...
love your bike man.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:30 am

TailWind: The heavy, heavy rain woke me up and I was like "carp, I do NOT want to ride in that today". I got up for my morning run and all that was left were puddles and some areas were slightly waterlogged. It started spitting lightly just as I left home but then nothing. Very happy about that. :)

One of the big garbage trucks caught fire on Victoria St, near Burnley St (and the Walmer St Bridge section of the MYT) this morning at around 8AM. Probably a lit cigarette or something else flammable was collected by the truck, compressed into the truck's innards as they do and then happily caught the rest of the rubbish on fire. No photos though as I don't carry a camera or camera-equipped phone on my morning run.

Victoria St was blocked heading outbound and the truck had lifted its rear section and dumped the rubbish on the road to allow the firefighters access to the smoking remains. It was billowing smoke (and left a bad taste in my mouth).

My 'arch nemesis' passed me on the hill on the way to work today. I just didn't have any energy and the legs were tired and the tailbone was aching something fierce. I knew she beats me up the hill so I tried to push a bit more on the flat after the hill, the lights aided me (but didn't slow her down just in case you were wondering as she caught all greens!) and I got her on the next little hill as she took a drink thinking she'd done enough. Took a few minutes but I did reel her in. CCR win!!!

Gretaboy: Is that the Crud Roadracer mudguards you're having issues with?

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:02 am

Summernight wrote:
Gretaboy: Is that the Crud Roadracer mudguards you're having issues with?

No, the new ones I got. They have a threaded bolt with a hole in it. The stay goes through the hole, then you tighten the nut onto the bolt which then should keep the stay at the right length. 3 out of 4 are good, just got this one that wont tighten up.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:08 am

lammy wrote: love your bike man.
Thanks mate. I don't do any race or big group ride, and therefore have decided that my main commuting bike should be the most expensive bike I have. I know many will agree how much pleasure we get riding in a bike we put up together. My commuting bike with pannier is now a spare commuting bike, lol.
This bike now adds lots of pleasure to my daily commute.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:50 am

rheicel wrote:
lammy wrote: love your bike man.
Thanks mate. I don't do any race or big group ride, and therefore have decided that my main commuting bike should be the most expensive bike I have. I know many will agree how much pleasure we get riding in a bike we put up together. My commuting bike with pannier is now a spare commuting bike, lol.
This bike now adds lots of pleasure to my daily commute.

I'd prefer to keep my good bike for when I don't have the backpack and the weather is good, so it hasn't been ridden often lately. But kudos to you.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:10 pm

jasonc wrote: Image

I'd prefer to keep my good bike for when I don't have the backpack and the weather is good, so it hasn't been ridden often lately. But kudos to you.
Spot on JasonC. Why suffer riding a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! bike when you have a nice shiny one!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Hahaha so true. Although it sucks when your garage/shed turns into a makeshift bike repair shop with parts hanging off multiple bikes everywhere. I was on the bus yesterday and I just kept timing the bus vs how I do the same section of road on a bike. FYI its 16 minutes on a bus vs 10.13 mins on a roadie :twisted:

Dropbear20

Postby Dropbear20 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:26 pm

Another Friday, another commute. My bus takes 1 hour to get to work. I do get a seat so that's one good thing, but it's really wasted time. Today my commute was 32 minutes - I was hitting the lights on some tricky intersections at just the right time. I miss riding every day but my new office in Singapore does not have all the facilities I used to have in Sydney.

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:27 pm

Did my two rides this week, with the longer distance. I haven't quite worked out the best route still. There are a lot of traffic lights in the last 4km, eventually I'll work out where it's best to stay on the bike path and cross with the bike light, and where it's best to switch to the road and go through with the traffic light.
It was raining when I left work on Thursday, so my rain jacket got it's proper christening at last.
I was feeling very smug because I bought a $2.50 esky bag in Coles last week, which fits nicely into my basket to stop things falling out and keep them dry. It's an interim measure until I buy some panniers to replace the basket, but it was just in time to keep my work stuff dry this week.
Some little reflective ankle bands I bought off ebay arrived today. On my to-buy list I still have panniers, mudguards, more lights, shoe covers (maybe). Maybe waterproof pants, it depends how enthusiastic I get about riding in the rain, although I didn't mind it at all the other day. Plus I have a kids' to-buy list - the two younger ones want new helmets, and gloves.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:00 am

Average ride in this morning, wet roads but clear skies and relatively warm. Was a bit overdressed but was okay in the end. Lots of people out and about commuting with no real CCR silliness occurring but still a good pace being set. Feeling better after setting a record pace for myself on saturday after our group ride (70km with the ride in) I then headed over to work (Malaga to Subiaco) to meet the missus, averaged 36km/h in light traffic and felt good.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:31 am

[quote="CXCommuter" averaged 36km/h[/quote]

36? and only felt good? :shock:

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:15 pm

Forgot to mention the coma I was in for the rest of saturday and the junk food feeding frenzy (recovery?) on Sunday (3 ice-creams, chips, chocolate, apple pie etc) did have vegetarian indian though for lunch which helped with the Karma. Don't worry I pulled over to check if someone hadn't added a 2nd magnet to the front wheel (been done before) as that average was ay above anything I am used to

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:18 pm

CXCommuter wrote:Don't worry I pulled over to check if someone hadn't added a 2nd magnet to the front wheel (been done before)
I like your thinking.... :twisted:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:18 am

wet roads commute in. but I've now done 20000kms on the flat bar!

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:33 am

Straight home on Friday for the the long weekend.
Had one ride yesterday - jumped onto the Bakfiets to swap out two gas cylinders at the local Bunnings. Some young blokes in a car yelled at me along the way - something to the effect of "..that's fantastic mate!!". Maybe the cargo bike has some sort of ute appeal, but anyway, I was pleasantly surprised...not everyone on Melbourne's northern fringe is bike friendly...
Lazy ride into the Melbourne CBD along the Darebin Creek Trail, but through the magic of a northerly tailwind, I made it in with a reasonable time.
Had a fox dash across the path from left to right, then changed his mind and headed back the other way - way too close to my front wheel for comfort.

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:40 am

The cycling Gods were kind this morning! After spending almost the entire long weekend in the car to visit a sick, elderly relative, I was thrilled to look out the window this morning and find no fog. Enjoyed a lovely ride in, hitting every light on green, courteous, considerate drivers and even a wallaby who sat up and watched as I pedaled past.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:58 am

Finally getting over my cold. This mornings ride felt like magic, seemed everything was clicking and it just felt like a good ride. Didnt hit any speed records but wasnt after any also.

Weather was brilliant, not as cold as what I thought it might have been and no rain, even though the roads were wet.

newie

Postby newie » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:57 am

Managed to combine the commute with a bit of whale watching.
A couple of whales were breaching not far off shore up here in Newcastle.
Stunning morning too.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:13 am

TraceyG wrote:The cycling Gods were kind this morning! After spending almost the entire long weekend in the car to visit a sick, elderly relative, I was thrilled to look out the window this morning and find no fog. Enjoyed a lovely ride in, hitting every light on green, courteous, considerate drivers and even a wallaby who sat up and watched as I pedaled past.
Glad the Cycling Gods were looking after you TraceyG! They must have been distracted making sure you had a good time, because my ride in was a bit average - had a SMIDSY enter my road from a intersection on the right (it is a T intersection and I was on the through road) - he waited for the ped to cross the zebra crossing on his road and then waited for the car in front of me to turn right (which is also what I was doing) but then completely failed to see me, despite me being in the middle of the road, indicating and waving my hand like a loony to get his attention that he was to give-way to me. Which he didn't and he pulled out in front of me. I wasn't going fast so there weren't any issues but I think his face went all shocked when he actually did see me 3 metres away from his car.

Also had an almost left hook on Macarthur St where a car indicated to turn left into a street (and here the cycling lane clearly goes completely through the intersection so cars do have to give way to cyclists on their left when turning). The only reason there was no near left hook is because the car ended up having to give-way to a pedestrian crossing the side road.

Then, I did a silly thing when I was about 3 blocks from work. I decided to pass a slower cyclist on the left (why? why?). She, of course knowing my luck, was hopping off onto the pavement further up between parked cars and didn't indicate as she closed the left hand side gap that was there. No problems and no near crashes but it was stupid of me and I was shaking my head going 'Why did I even think I could do that??? I know better'.

Then I'm a block away from work, riding along Collins St and my rear vision mirror shows me that there is a tram coming up on my right and I need to turn right further up. It also shows there is a truck further back but should be no problems if I indicate and claim the lane early. I indicate and then, not wanting to stress out the tram driver, I don't move fully across and the next thing I know the truck starts gunning it and in my rear-vision mirror is bearing down on me with scary speed. Emergency left wobble-turn to get out of his way as he zooms past me on my right. It was an MGIF moment. I'm pretty sure he was plenty far enough away to see me and his gunning it caused the tram to have to slow down too. Needless. I should have claimed the lane from the start of the intersection but didn't want the abuse that follows when I do that.

I refuse to be roadkill after having a lovely long weekend.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:29 am

Sort of like a foggy weather this morning is very nice.

Here is the video. Good to see that at some point, I am faster than some cars.

Last edited by rheicel on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.