How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

TailWind

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:52 am

Multi-hop commute for me on Friday for a catch-up session at my brother's place.

Warm this morning, and on the Darebin Creek Trail I encountered the dreaded spiderweb, complete with rather large occupant, strung across the middle of the path. The light picked it up quite late, and I had to yank the bike to the right while simultaneously dropping my left shoulder in an attempt to at least miss the beastie. I still snagged the web, but not in the center. Filled with terror, I slapped and brushed myself down, but didn't find the spider on me.
I kept on imagining that the web had wrapped around my back, and that I was piggy-backing the spider into the CBD ...my skin was crawling for the next few kms!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:54 am

hahaha.. I can just imagine the spiders getting up in the morning to start their day, one of them chuckling to himself as he goes "Hey.. check this out.. Watch these cyclists freak out when they see my web across the path"

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:18 am

WarbyD wrote:hahaha.. I can just imagine the spiders getting up in the morning to start their day, one of them chuckling to himself as he goes "Hey.. check this out.. Watch these cyclists freak out when they see my web across the path"
*shudder* At least I'm not the only arachnophobe on this forum...although I don't mind them, even close up, but the thought of them crawling over me makes me freak out :mrgreen:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:28 am

I had a shocker of a night last night trying to sleep in this heat. The fan was too loud and I just couldn't get to sleep. Woke up this morning with a headache and felt sticky and ick. First thing I did was have a cold shower prior to going for my run (which wasn't that bad as the sweat + running = cooling wind).

Then another shower then the ride into work (yay for air conditioning at work at least!). So much broken glass and debris still in the bike lane. Must not have been cleaned for a week or so.

Lots of people riding to work too, which was nice to see. :)

Oh, and the ABC News 24 this morning said that Melbourne has the highest ratio of female cyclists who commute to work as compared to all the other Australian cities (I think it was the major cities). Well done Melbourne ladies!

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:31 am

My ride in this morning was completely routine. I did see the aftermath of a fall, a heap of people standing around and a guy hobbling about saying that he was ok. There was nothing that I could contribute so I just continued on my way.

The path along Kingsford-Smith Drive from Brett’s Wharf to Breakfast Creek is possibly the worst piece of transport infrastructure in not just Brisbane but possibly the entire civilized world. It’s incredibly narrow, rough and with various obstacles like light poles stuck in the middle of it.

It is only a short stretch and the people using it realize how seriously sub-standard it is so I’ve not experienced any actual problems.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:48 am

WarbyD wrote:Really enjoyed my ride in this morning.. No issues at all! Trying to play around a bit with wheelies and bunny hops (figure I've got 30km to kill.. may as well have some fun) so if you happen to be on the Kwinana PSP and wonder "WT? is that fat guy up ahead doing on that 29er?" .. Thats what :P (and dont worry - I only do it when I know that I've got noone near by that I might cause problems for.. always check behind and ahead before i .
Glad I'm not the only one who has fun while commuting on 29'rs,
TailWind wrote:Warm this morning, and on the Darebin Creek Trail I encountered the dreaded spiderweb, complete with rather large occupant, strung across the middle of the path. The light picked it up quite late, and I had to yank the bike to the right while simultaneously dropping my left shoulder in an attempt to at least miss the beastie. I still snagged the web, but not in the center. Filled with terror, I slapped and brushed myself down, but didn't find the spider on me.
I kept on imagining that the web had wrapped around my back, and that I was piggy-backing the spider into the CBD ...my skin was crawling for the next few kms!
Now you have brought back all my terror from last week doing exactly that!

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:49 am

Hamster wrote:My ride in this morning was completely routine. I did see the aftermath of a fall, a heap of people standing around and a guy hobbling about saying that he was ok. There was nothing that I could contribute so I just continued on my way.

The path along Kingsford-Smith Drive from Brett’s Wharf to Breakfast Creek is possibly the worst piece of transport infrastructure in not just Brisbane but possibly the entire civilized world. It’s incredibly narrow, rough and with various obstacles like light poles stuck in the middle of it.

It is only a short stretch and the people using it realize how seriously sub-standard it is so I’ve not experienced any actual problems.

Don't forget the short pole with the tap on it in the middle of the path, sometimes I think the road would be safer :(

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:49 pm

TailWind wrote:Warm this morning, and on the Darebin Creek Trail I encountered the dreaded spiderweb, complete with rather large occupant, strung across the middle of the path. The light picked it up quite late, and I had to yank the bike to the right while simultaneously dropping my left shoulder in an attempt to at least miss the beastie. I still snagged the web, but not in the center. Filled with terror, I slapped and brushed myself down, but didn't find the spider on me.
lol, i hate that :) you must be leaving early!

today's commute was slow and boring, after the weekend's adrenaline rush of crit racing. still, it's better than the train!

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:40 pm

jules21 wrote:
TailWind wrote:......and that I was piggy-backing the spider into the CBD ...my skin was crawling for the next few kms!
lol, i hate that :) you must be leaving early!
Yep, well before 5am...I get to (involuntarily) clear the paths of these little menaces for everyone else that follows. Feel free to pay me in beers for this valuable service! :mrgreen:

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:51 pm

poohkies wrote:Now you have brought back all my terror from last week doing exactly that!
Sorry poohkies...I share your terror in this respect...the joys of riding at unusual hours - never know what manner of critters you are going to encounter, be it 8-, 4-, or two-legged.

alexander

Postby alexander » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:19 pm

Melbourne: Warm, 25º SE Light wind 5-10km per hour. 6:45 am Footscray to CBD

Man, it's always tough when it's early and it should be cool, but no, it's already hot. Not sure why but if it's been hot overnight, the morning ride is a struggle, conversely, same heat in the afternoon, and I'm ok. But morning heat seems weird and wrong. To add to this I had a strange upset stomach today and I didn't feel to great, but ignored it, probably just ate too much the night before.

I had one turkey jumping reds, I kept catching him. Typical, none of his red light jumping was even worth it.

The minor hills I'm attacking out of the saddle the whole duration. Which feels good, feels like I'm getting better. I drop a lot of people going east on latrobe from Docklands over the train yard.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:50 pm

Couldn't ride home due to bushfire - suburb been evacuated.. Caught train out to near the in-laws in maddington and rode to their house. Glad I don't live here. Would be a crap area for cycling.. No shoulders, no bike path, poor condition footpath.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:33 am

back on the bike, sort of. I've been suffering from a sinus infection which is still inhibiting me

saw 2 bikes with broken spokes this morning. one of them was a giant (shock horror - those p-sl wheels are shockers). I think the other one was a specialized.

alexander

Postby alexander » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:52 am

3/2/14 Melbourne: Cool, 22º SW Strong wind 30+km per hour. 5:15 pm CBD to Footscray

Last nights ride was epic, the wind was blowing a gale and all over the shop, my 50mm deep rims acted like sails, and I was holding the handlebars tight to make sure the bike didn't get away from me. I was pedalling like a demon to beat the rain home. And I did. There is nothing like beating the rain.

4/2/14 Melbourne: Cool, 15.5º SE Medium wind 15-20km per hour. 7:15 am Footscray to CBD

Obviously the colder weather and wind kept a few people from riding today, a lot less riders out and about. I had the arm warmers on today, and was even thinking of a long sleeve jersey and cap. Madness this weather. Even with the wind I kept a good cadence, was 10-1 CCR, and the ride was entirely uneventful.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:19 am

alexander wrote:Obviously the colder weather and wind kept a few people from riding today, a lot less riders out and about. I had the arm warmers on today, and was even thinking of a long sleeve jersey and cap. Madness this weather. Even with the wind I kept a good cadence, was 10-1 CCR, and the ride was entirely uneventful.
It might have kept people from riding from your way - I was riding in from Fitzroy North to the CBD via Wellington St, and I passed about 30 cyclists making their merry way to work/school/whatever by bike.

A lovely sight - but the traffic there is becoming too much! :P
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

alexander

Postby alexander » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:52 am

nezumi wrote:
alexander wrote:Obviously the colder weather and wind kept a few people from riding today, a lot less riders out and about. I had the arm warmers on today, and was even thinking of a long sleeve jersey and cap. Madness this weather. Even with the wind I kept a good cadence, was 10-1 CCR, and the ride was entirely uneventful.
It might have kept people from riding from your way - I was riding in from Fitzroy North to the CBD via Wellington St, and I passed about 30 cyclists making their merry way to work/school/whatever by bike.

Your commute route would be considered one of melbourne's busier ones, only passing 30 seems low to me (maybe you were going slow? :P )
But yeah you're right good to see so many riding.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:07 am

Homeward bound commute via MYT/Darebin Creek Trail was assisted by a cool, but blustery south-westerly. Can't believe the north bank of the MYT is closed again. Back to the rodeo like riding conditions on the south bank.
Cool this morning, and the southerly was still going strong for the ride into the CBD. No spiders today.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:39 am

alexander wrote:
nezumi wrote:

Your commute route would be considered one of melbourne's busier ones, only passing 30 seems low to me (maybe you were going slow? :P )
But yeah you're right good to see so many riding.
Too many cars - unlike one rider I saw, I don't favour drafting behind hatchbacks in stop-start traffic. :shock:
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:10 pm

alexander wrote:3/2/14 Melbourne: Cool, 22º SW Strong wind 30+km per hour. 5:15 pm CBD to Footscray

Last nights ride was epic, the wind was blowing a gale and all over the shop, my 50mm deep rims acted like sails, and I was holding the handlebars tight to make sure the bike didn't get away from me. I was pedalling like a demon to beat the rain home. And I did. There is nothing like beating the rain.

4/2/14 Melbourne: Cool, 15.5º SE Medium wind 15-20km per hour. 7:15 am Footscray to CBD

Obviously the colder weather and wind kept a few people from riding today, a lot less riders out and about. I had the arm warmers on today, and was even thinking of a long sleeve jersey and cap. Madness this weather. Even with the wind I kept a good cadence, was 10-1 CCR, and the ride was entirely uneventful.
Why would you commute on 50mm deep wheels?

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:29 pm

Really pleasant morning this morning, still a bit of a breeze around but nothing like yesterdays wind.

Slow ride for me today. I was commuting a couple of times a week and decided this year to make an effort to move the frequency up to more often. I realised this morning I am feeling like I need to take today slow, quick look at Strava and I realised I hadnt taken my car since Wednesday last week. This means I havent used the car at all since Wednesday as weekends I never use the car anyway. No wonder I need to take things a bit slowly today.

Anyway got meetings tomorrow and Thursday will need the car, although Thursday are all around home so might bike instead will see.

alexander

Postby alexander » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:37 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
alexander wrote:3/2/14 Melbourne: Cool, 22º SW Strong wind 30+km per hour. 5:15 pm CBD to Footscray

Why would you commute on 50mm deep wheels?
Because they're specific CX disc carbon rims. And to add to this, I quote, "why do dogs lick their balls? because they can." :mrgreen:

Here they are in all their glory. (small thumbs as to not hijack this thread.)

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:47 pm

alexander wrote:
Because they're specific CX disc carbon rims. And to add to this, I quote, "why do dogs lick their balls? because they can." :mrgreen:

Here they are in all their glory. (small thumbs as to not hijack this thread.)
very nice ride, looking at getting a kona snake i think the model is

well as all ready to commute to work yesterday as i put my back pack on i put my hand into the fan going flat out, split the skin on the back of my hand (that doesn't bother me) but have baddly brused it and unable to hold anything with it :( no commuting for me for a while, still in alot of pain today! stupid fan stupid being tall, or just don't put your hand in a fan

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:51 pm

poohkies wrote:stupid fan stupid being tall, or just don't put your hand in a fan
i spilt my water everywhere reading that. I put my hand in fans on purpose, all the time

alexander

Postby alexander » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:58 pm

poohkies wrote:
very nice ride, looking at getting a kona snake i think the model is

well as all ready to commute to work yesterday as i put my back pack on i put my hand into the fan going flat out, split the skin on the back of my hand (that doesn't bother me) but have baddly brused it and unable to hold anything with it :( no commuting for me for a while, still in alot of pain today! stupid fan stupid being tall, or just don't put your hand in a fan
thanks, she's a beauty, the mrs said "if you're getting a new one make it a great one, because this one will be the last one for a while."

Stupid fans and stupid tall, yeah feel your pain, done that a few times myself, gives you a hell of a fright, and hurts if you've got decent fans.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:19 pm

Ow dang, poohkies ... you're not alone, my BF is also stupid-tall and we have brick archways out the front. If he walks in at the wrong angle he brains himself, fortunately though he rides to work too so usually has his helmet on when this happens.

As for me - I felt good this morning and got one of my best times over the new commute so far :)
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle