How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

DavidS

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby DavidS » Thu May 26, 2016 10:20 pm

First day back at work after leave, bucketing rain and wind. I preferred the weather overseas, but still back on the bike to get to work. Sure beats public transport, or worse, driving, but I was soaking when I got to work.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri May 27, 2016 11:06 am

Chilly this morning, but only because I'm not acclimatised yet. Westerly wind didn't seem to worry the swans though.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon May 30, 2016 10:03 am

garmin got down to 3 degrees this morning. was 5 degrees warmer at the top of coot-tha thankfully.
bizarre moment this morning - going along the western fwy just after waverley rd overpass where the retaining wall is - there was a dog along the top barking at me. don't know if there was a human with the dog or not

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon May 30, 2016 1:59 pm

Yeah, 3 or 4 here too. My winter gloves don't seem to be as effective as they have been the last two years :?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon May 30, 2016 2:45 pm

fat and old wrote:Yeah, 3 or 4 here too. My winter gloves don't seem to be as effective as they have been the last two years :?
blame weightloss skinny and old ;)

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon May 30, 2016 4:30 pm

First day back at work after 2 weeks off, good to be back on the bike (holiday weather kept me off it more than I wanted). Bit chilly but enough light to see by by the time I got ready, although it was pitch black as I was eating my breakfast just before the sun started to say hello :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon May 30, 2016 11:12 pm

It was a beautiful morning out my way. I guess starting my ride a bit later (8:30) than others helps. My only concession to the cold was a pair of longs. I certainly didn't feel the need for long gloves today, let alone the gillets, jackets, under helmet caps, booties, mask etc.

Just terrific weather today.

Cheers,

Cameron

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue May 31, 2016 7:26 am

-1 and frosty bits along the path. Bibs are still ok, gloves are not :lol:

Just ordered some better? gloves and warmer socks. I'm getting softer by the day. Good thing I don't live in Canberra. :lol:

RyanA

Postby RyanA » Tue May 31, 2016 9:24 am

fat and old wrote:-1 and frosty bits along the path. Bibs are still ok, gloves are not :lol:

Just ordered some better? gloves and warmer socks. I'm getting softer by the day. Good thing I don't live in Canberra. :lol:
I was feeling it this morning too. My GPS doesn't display anything below 1 (just get a line), so I'm guessing i got into the negatives. It was pretty bad for the first 5 km's, but then I lost feeling in my hands or feet, so it was all good from then on. If the pain receptors stop firing, then there's nothing to complain about.

Last week I only rode in three days due to working at home, so I had some legs left for the weekend. It was a nice change to get out on the mountain bike, but boy was it slippery and muddy.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue May 31, 2016 9:36 am

Saw your submission to the passing inquiry yesty Ryan. Good work :D

RyanA

Postby RyanA » Tue May 31, 2016 9:54 am

fat and old wrote:Saw your submission to the passing inquiry yesty Ryan. Good work :D
Just doing my bit where I can!

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Tue May 31, 2016 6:00 pm

So I put the SPD pedals from my inactive Cell MTB (needs a new rear hub) onto Cecil Walker on Tuesday for my first 'clipped in' ride on that bike for the year. I had ridden regularly to work during March with flat pedals. In fact I rode it yesterday around Northcote with my son yesterday for some CX training for him.

Anyway, I gave it a bit of stick up the 'hill' on the Capital City trail merge under Royal Parade and it felt a bit squirrelly. I thought it might be the pedals, but inspections showed them to still be fully threaded in. But a few kms later I thought the front felt a bit more flexy than normal (bear in mind it's an old quill stem with 1" threaded headset).

It turns out there is a big crack where the downtube meets the head tube lug. The crack does open and close a bit when you push on the frame. In fact the whole bottom bracket felt a bit more flexy than normal.

So I rolled the last few km to work at under 15 km/hr.

Took it to Cecil Walker at lunchtime. Top tube and down tube would need replacing. The original frame builder is retired but still does repairs.

Anthony guess-timated at $250 per tube + paint ~= $800 to get it back on the road. I think I'll pass for now.

And so ends a beautiful relationship. I think I'll hang it in my garage for now and maybe I'll repair it in a few years time. Most of the componentry is still in good nick.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue May 31, 2016 7:11 pm

Bugger!
Anything you can do, I can do slower

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue May 31, 2016 7:29 pm

3 degrees on the ride home. WT? Clear skies say a cold morning coming up. At least the northerlies are gone.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue May 31, 2016 10:52 pm

Another beautiful day for riding.

I had an appointment with VicRoads to get a new licence, so I wasn't riding until 9:00 to get there, and from 9:45 to get to work. I did wear a gillet this morning, but with one layer less to compensate.

Apart from perfect weather I had well behaved traffic, and apart from watching one truck take a turn too tight and 'graze' a power pole it was just a delight to be out.

I've had a good run with busses too recently. Yesterday I had one bus conspicuously waiting and giving me more space than I've come to expect in the morning. In the afternoon, a driver jumped out at a set of lights to ask me about Titanium bikes.

Cheers,

Cameron

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:37 am

Minus 2 at Bunny Park. The gloves, they do nothing... :lol:
Frost was pretty sparkling under my 3billion lumen light tho.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:43 am

cloud cover in Brisbane this morning (rain expected the next couple of days) so it was warmer this morning.

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:10 pm

Cold and wet and miserable in Sydney last night. With the rain, spray thrown up from traffic, and headlight glare, it was hard to see where I was going. Not pleasant. To top it off, I was very nearly cleaned up by an inattentive driver who pulled out from a side road with just the most cursory glance in my direction.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:22 am

Predicted rain didn't appear this morning so I fixed the commute, very pleasant. Calm, cool but not cold.

Was cruising along at a steady but not hurried rate when I spied a rider a fair way ahead. There goes the cruise mode and into pursuit mode (well, upped tempo maybe not full pursuit), CCR points await. I suspect the 80's 10 speed stem shifted roadie being piloted by a joggers, jeans and 80s sans-lycra foam bucketted bloke doesn't rank higher than fixed gear in cycling kit. Sigh. Still much better than waiting for the windows to clear and the heater to kick in.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:58 am

wet roads for the first 5-odd kms then dry. no one turned up for the lazy group ride on time. so i did a half-assed loop to work.

the endomondo commuting challenge is getting interesting at the pointy end.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:21 pm

Coming out of the shopping area, I was I dunno how you put it?....ignored and almost driven over by a car? She saw me, went through the stop sign, looked at me while I was yelling, looked at me while I was putting fist size dents in the doors (this is while riding next to her), all the while claiming the road? WT? Maybe she didn't see me.....she was wearing the full head covering with the little mesh covered slot for her eyes. Now.....I've had this discussion years ago about the impact on visibility these have, and tried one out for myself, for a few days whilst driving. Yes, it's a distraction, yes it limits your field of vision, yes I figure you could get used to it. So I dunno what it was. Not once did she register surprise, or care, or anything. I just wasn't supposed to be there I guess :lol:

Oh yeah, minus 1 this morning. 3 negatives running, I think that's a record for me.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:18 pm

fat and old wrote:-1 and frosty bits along the path. Bibs are still ok, gloves are not :lol:

Socks from 1 order arrived today. Excellent quality. Work socks. 40 dollar work socks :shock: :roll: :lol: I really need to think things through a bit better. :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:29 pm

Wet roads and drizzle for the commute home. There was a rainbow in the sky

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:37 pm

Foggy . . . and even more fog on the way home. Amazing, couldn't even see the lights in the middle of the bay.

This morning:

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:07 am

saw rain on the radar coming. so got on the bike and rode straight in. checked the radar, rain gone.