How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

kb

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby kb » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:56 am

Tacks on the Boulevard apparently :-(. Never seen so many upside down bicycles...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:03 pm

kb wrote:Tacks on the Boulevard apparently :-(. Never seen so many upside down bicycles...
helps to know which state, which suburb etc

alternative, here's a picture of hollywood boulevard in california

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:05 pm

jasonc wrote:
kb wrote:Tacks on the Boulevard apparently :-(. Never seen so many upside down bicycles...

alternative, here's a picture of hollywood boulevard in california

He said tacks, not tacky ;-)

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:58 pm

Sounds like blatant violation of rule #49 :D

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:59 pm

michael_w wrote:
Sounds like blatant violation of rule #49 :D
maybe that's the way it's done stateside

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:54 pm

Gorgeous mild weather in the mornings at the moment, loving it - in the thick of a really hectic and annoying episode at work, and I think the riding is the only thing between me and total rage blackout.

Found myself so deep in thought near Mt Henry that I had to brake hard not to go up a jogger's butt - focus, Lizzy ... :/

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:02 pm

Not too bad on the MTB heading back home yesterday afternoon - opted for a shorter route though. Feel naked without the camera...
Headwind this morning, lots more wind resistance on this bike. At least the wind direction has remained constant, so I should have the wind in my sails for the ride back.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

kb

Postby kb » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:41 pm

jasonc wrote:
I was going to reply "which is why the information is in my profile"

But.. whoops! Could have sworn I filled that in. Just be careful on all the Boulevards :-)

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:35 pm

Not well at the moment, no work today was trying to recreate that seen from the poltigist last night! Feeling a little better, have to see how I go tomorrow

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:10 pm

DaveOZ wrote:Big rain storm blew through about 1/2 hour before my ride home but it cleared up enough for me to dash home. Rain is headed for the coast now.
in Sydney? was odd, just before I left work I couldn't see the street below the office window for rain, by the time I left there was only a couple of minutes of light rain and by the time I got home it looked like it never rained at all

alexander

Postby alexander » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:08 am

Melburn: 13º, Winds west to southwesterly 15 to 25 km/h, Dark & Overcast. Footscray to CBD, 7:25am

Amazing what a brooding dark sky can do to commuter numbers. It was actually dark when the alarm went off at 6:45am this morning. Looks like the Ayups are going to be the next purchase. I put on arm warmers, long finger gloves and gabba jersey over my usual kit, and switched to clear photochromic glasses. I was nice and warm, and didn't feel overheated. Happy Friday.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:09 am

My rear light that was clipped onto the light holder on the beam rack bag absconded during the ride home yesterday afternoon. Not sure if it was due to me bouncing all over the place on the duallie MTB, or if someone nicked it when I stopped off at the shops for a few minutes. It was a brand new Moon, only the second time I had used it due to being one of the spare bikes :( .
Headwind for the ride into the Melbs CBD, but it should still be southerly for the ride back, giving me a bit of tailwind-assist. :mrgreen:

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:46 am

TailWind wrote:It was a brand new Moon...
I've been looking at the Gem rear lights, are they a good thing? I've seen one on a mate's bike and it looks bright enough and nice and small...

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:54 am

TonyMax wrote:
TailWind wrote:It was a brand new Moon...
I've been looking at the Gem rear lights, are they a good thing? I've seen one on a mate's bike and it looks bright enough and nice and small...
I've had a Moon x300 front light for 3 years, in use pretty much all year round for the morning commutes, rain or shine, and never had a single issue. I was hoping the rear, a Moon Shield would be as reliable, but I guess I won't find out now :(. It certainly was bright enough and USB rechargeable, which I was happy with.

Haven't seen the gem in action.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:21 am

73kms this morning. I hurt all over

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:32 am

jasonc wrote:73kms this morning. I hurt all over
Nice work!
Now you need to do another 58km during your afternoon commute to beat poohkies' 130km for a day's commute :wink:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:38 am

Despite drinking lots of water in the few hours after hopping off the bike yesterday I didn't feel much better for the whole day and tried not to move around too much. The only time I did feel better was when I went for a walk at lunch. Got back to work and... blah.

Felt a bit better just before heading home (although I could tell my temperature was up). The ride home was average and I don't think I was completely on the ball. No crazies though, which was good.

Crashed on the couch and watched trash TV at home. The partner thinks it might be stress and being over tired as I've been working late. Maybe I'm allergic to work? :lol:

This morning was a fine ride in. No dizzy spell during my drizzly run prior to the ride or my drizzly ride in. There was a cyclist fixing a puncture on the Boulevard (Kew, Victoria, Australia, Earth, Milky Way, Universe) which may have been tack related.

Cars completely blocked the Hoddle Street/Albert/Elizabeth St intersection so I couldn't help but smile as all the cars couldn't cross but the bikes could this morning. Sayonara cars!

A truck on Collins St decided to be lazy with his road positioning and cut into the gutter bike lane beside the tram superstop between Exhibition and Russell Streets, necessitating me, who was beside him prior to it turning into the gutter bike lane, realising he was going to squeeze me if I didn't stop. Which I did just before he would have made the squeeze connect. :roll:

kb

Postby kb » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:45 am

Day off today but I need to pick up some stuff from work. Time for some "tacks evasion".

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:46 am

I came home from out west a day early as the reds are playing tonight...had a leisurely bayside cruise followed by a detour home to grab the laptop and good commute to Brisbane...Traffic down Wynnum Rd was pretty good for a late morning run...59.1km although I only have a 200mtr ride this afternoon to the wifes car..chuck the bike in the back and off to the game.
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:12 am

All a bit tired on the ride in this morning, not sure what is going on but at least there was a complete absence of homicidal drivers - not sure I could have coped with that today
Anything you can do, I can do slower

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:17 am

Someone blasted past me on the commute home yesterday northbound on Canning St with one of those all-terrain electric bikes doing about 50 km/hr.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:19 am

TailWind wrote:
Nice work!
Now you need to do another 58km during your afternoon commute to beat poohkies' 130km for a day's commute :wink:
I'll do that when he beats my xmas eve effort last year:
128.09kms with 2541m of climbing.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:24 am

jasonc wrote:
TailWind wrote:
Nice work!
I'll do that when he beats my xmas eve effort last year:
128.09kms with 2541m of climbing.
:mrgreen: Fair enough...that's certifiable :shock: . Think poohkies mentioned he's not much of a mountain goat....

AndreB1972

Postby AndreB1972 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:06 pm

TailWind wrote:
Nice work!
Tailwind - don't encourage him...I see he is creeping up behind me in the challenge - I had a nice gap at the beginning of the week.

Jason, if you hurt all over you should probably go for a massage and take a week recovery ;-)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:08 pm

massage sounds good. week recovery won't happen :D