How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jasonc

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Wed May 14, 2014 8:39 am

down the front of coot-tha. i was rolling, not pedalling.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Wed May 14, 2014 8:41 am

jasonc wrote:got done for speeding on the commute this morning, yes on my bicycle
You da man!
Something I've always wanted to happen to me. Worth framing the ticket!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed May 14, 2014 8:50 am

everyone want to put in a few bucks and pay it for me then?

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed May 14, 2014 10:04 am

DavidS wrote:Glorious weather in Melbourne last couple of days. Very little wind and so much easier to get a decent average speed.
Who'd want to be shut up in a car or squeezed on to a train?
DS
Yep, lovely conditions even for those of us not equipped with polar bear genetics.
Chilly mornings, sunny and warm afternoons with a light northerly (headwind), but that can be forgiven :) .

Very bright full moon this morning, but no werewolves encountered. However, I did encounter a zombie-like asian chap that was shuffling up the bike lane on Macarthur St, just next to the Treasury. Blank stare and no reaction when I called out to him.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed May 14, 2014 10:06 am

jasonc wrote:got done for speeding on the commute this morning, yes on my bicycle
So what's the low-down on your speed? 70 in a 60 zone? 80, 90...? :mrgreen:
And which bike?
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed May 14, 2014 10:12 am

on my flat bar, with a backpack on

63 in a 50 zone

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed May 14, 2014 10:19 am

jasonc wrote:on my flat bar, with a backpack on

63 in a 50 zone
Impressive!
Edit - meant to ask, does this earn you a fine only, or are demerit points involved too?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed May 14, 2014 10:27 am

TailWind wrote:

63 in a 50 zone
Impressive!
Edit - meant to ask, does this earn you a fine only, or are demerit points involved too?
fine only

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed May 14, 2014 10:31 am

63 in a 50 zone
So where were they.....I admit I struggle to stay under 70km/hr let alone 50km/hr going down there
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

AndreB1972

Postby AndreB1972 » Wed May 14, 2014 10:33 am

jasonc wrote: fine only
They should've suspended you from riding for 3 weeks :wink:

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed May 14, 2014 10:39 am

AndreB1972 wrote:
jasonc wrote: fine only
They should've suspended you from riding for 3 weeks :wink:
Haha, making Jason catch PT would qualify as cruel and unsual punishment :mrgreen:. Would have helped me in the challenge though...

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Wed May 14, 2014 10:56 am

Hooray for hypocrisy...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed May 14, 2014 10:57 am

cancan64 wrote:

63 in a 50 zone
So where were they.....I admit I struggle to stay under 70km/hr let alone 50km/hr going down there
Half way down the front, there's a gravel off road carpark

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed May 14, 2014 11:44 am

Did you have a speedo/computer on? tucked down in aero position? Trying to go 'real fast'? Unless you'd just overtaken a car or something I'd be trying to argue that I wasn't aware of my actual speed and I'll try not to go that fast next time.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed May 14, 2014 11:52 am

bychosis wrote:Did you have a speedo/computer on? tucked down in aero position? Trying to go 'real fast'? Unless you'd just overtaken a car or something I'd be trying to argue that I wasn't aware of my actual speed and I'll try not to go that fast next time.
I was sitting up, not pedalling. speedo was only showing cadence time and distance

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed May 14, 2014 1:37 pm

63 in a 50 zone
Well, you were speeding, so fair enough. I had wondered about the demerit points or not.

My old MTB has never gone above 52kph (the biggest downhill on my commute is in a 70 zone anyway) so I'm safe. I think my hubs would burst into flames before I broke any speed rules :D
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed May 14, 2014 1:41 pm

Did my good deed for the day on my way home yesterday. Ran over/through a broken glass bottle on the bike path between Beach Rd and the Warwick Rd exit (Perth), and after swearing and luckily not getting a puncture (yay MTB tyres), I turned around and knocked on the door of the nearest house, borrowed their broom and dustpan and brush, and swept it all up. Got a few appreciative nods from other cyclists heading past.

My wife heard from a friend that the bike path in Kingsley had a bunch of nails spread across it recently. Idiots abound.

And I copped a bee sting in the arm shortly after getting back on the bike. Off my face (luckily) before stinging my arm. At least I don’t have a huge puffy head!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed May 14, 2014 1:44 pm

Naughty boy, jasonc! :P

Good couple of rides this week so far, warm and muggy this morning and could easily have done without the long sleeve jersey I put on. Going to have to take a detour by the LBS on way home as my headlight has taken to giving me the low-battery alert nowhere near its supposed "up to 8 hour" runtime. Well I guess 45 mins after a full charge technically counts as part of "up to", but fffft :roll: Have been experimenting with it for the past few weeks - a few times I've turned it to flash or off for a few minutes then started it up again, it has behaved itself for another hour or so. But now that it's proper dark for much of my commute I think I'm going to stop pushing my luck and replace the battery, as I don't want it to really go on the turps on a dark & stormy night. Le sigh ...
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed May 14, 2014 2:24 pm

Out of curiosity, what was the offence code you got booked for? In NSW I don't believe there is a box code for speeding whilst on a bicycle. I wonder if QLD is the same? Did you get booked as a motor vehicle?

The ticket would make a good meme too...."cyclists too slow? Booked for speeding!"
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed May 14, 2014 2:36 pm

queequeg wrote:
Out of curiosity, what was the offence code you got booked for? In NSW I don't believe there is a box code for speeding whilst on a bicycle. I wonder if QLD is the same? Did you get booked as a motor vehicle?

The ticket would make a good meme too...."cyclists too slow? Booked for speeding!"

"3336"

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu May 15, 2014 11:34 am

Spring-like conditions in Melbourne for the commute home yesterday...21C and sunny.
Warm this morning too, back into double figures with just over 15C at 4am - back into short kit....

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu May 15, 2014 11:41 am

Thanks to the ****head in the Isuzu truck this morning who pulled out of his side street without looking and would have wiped me out if I hadn't slammed on the brakes. No company logo or I would have called them up to say hello. Apparently a fluoro jersey and 2 flashing front lights aren't enough to make me visible.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Thu May 15, 2014 11:43 am

Not a bad commute this morning - nice and cool, but not cold. Got some voodoo going on in the BB/crank area though - about 20km in noticed what felt like the chain skipping on the front ring, stopped, checked it out, couldn't see any issues (thought it may have been a twig flicked up or similar) but by the time I had ridden the additional 10km to my office it had progressed to visible play on the drive side, occasional unhappy grinding/scraping noises and regular clicking. Something definitely not right!

Thankfully, my office is right next door to Cycle Center (great little LBS - prices can be a little hit & miss [more often hit than miss] but the service is always top notch and they're always happy to order in whatever you're after if its not on the shelves, and being right next to my office makes the convenience worth the additional cost at times), so the bike is now sitting with them to check out and get back to me about the damage.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu May 15, 2014 5:28 pm

*finally pulls herself out of the pile of work and stress that has been dragging her under for the past week*

Fwee. What a week (Thursday-Thursday). Very late nights at work, no lunch breaks, almost ruined my weekend having to do work (luckily I said 'stuff it', I'm actually having a weekend). Tuesday was D-day and stuff happened and now the rest of the next two weeks are free when they may have been filled with me drowning under oodles of work.

Thursday last week was the police officer and the car on the corner of Collins and Elizabeth. The Police were doing their mandatory traffic light training that they do at that intersection every couple of weeks and had stopped traffic in Collins St. The motorist at the front of the queue had stopped completely over the bike box. One of the police officers whose job it was to direct ped flow was standing right beside the car. I come up alongside the car in the non-bike-lane-that-is-a-bike-lane and move slightly in front so as to be seen by the motorist because he's completely blocking where I should be.

Said car starts inching even further forward starting to enter even further into the intersection and the ped crossing area. The police officer tells him to stop (in a completely non-authoritative way). I make a too-subtle comment to the police officer about there being no point to a bike box if a car completely obscures it, but obviously the offence regarding a motorist passing the line and entering the bike box area hasn't been in any of the police officer's road rule training to date. The car inches forwards even more and the officer once again tells him to stop (with a little bit more authority but still with a pleading tone). And now the motorist is pretty much brushing my body with his mirror. I make some mention of the motorist being a bit too close and not leaving much room.

Mr Trainee Plod's comment back to me was a polite "Are you able to move back behind the car so he doesn't hit you when he's allowed to drive off?", completely ignoring the fact I'm sitting in the bike area in the gutter and that the car should be 2 metres behind me behind the first stop line. To which I'm like "nah, it's all good". I then wish him a lovely evening, shake my mental head that he didn't up his ticket quota by ticketing or at least giving a stern talking to this motorist blatantly breaking road rules right in front of him and off I go. Ah well.

Friday morning last week had the black and pink Rapha wearing cyclist in front of me almost be t-boned by a right turning car who failed to give way to him at the intersection of Little Bourke and Elizabeth. Lucky for the cyclist that he was also turning left into the same street the car turned right into. The cyclist was right at the passenger door. Mr Cyclist didn't retaliate as he's probably used to that. Unfortunately (or fortunately, really) for the motorist he happened to park in the exact building I park my bike so I politely explained to him that he'd almost cleaned up a cyclist. He thought I was referring to just outside the building we park in, to which I told him "No, you remember you turned right from Elizabeth into Little Bourke?" "Yes" "Well there was a cyclist that you failed to give way to there". To which he apologised. I think that is a good outcome. If you are that Rapha wearing cyclist, the motorist got his karma. :D

Friday night/Saturday morning I left work at just past midnight. It was rainy and someone had sprinkled gravel on the intersection of Queen and Bourke. Since they block Queen Street from Bourke to Collins on Friday and Saturday nights for the drunken revellers, I had to turn into Bourke St. I haven't had issues with gravel before, but I had a bit of a tense moment there. And took the right turn into Elizabeth St very tentatively when crossing all those wet tram lines.

Late night rides in the city are really good and quite enjoyable; no traffic and I can claim the middle of the single lane on Collins St and cruise at a good speed. Not to mention there has been a lack of wind too. I mean, I don't like being at work to ridiculous hours, but at least the ride home helps get rid of the cobwebs and you don't have to fight with gridlocked cars.

One of the springy bollards on Albert St, East Melbourne had been snapped on Monday night and was laying almost completely over the bike lane. I saw it in time and was able to go around it as I'm not going to test the efficacy of my bunny-hopping skills (said skills never having been adequately practiced and me not wanting to lay my bike over when it all goes horribly wrong, which it would have).

I replaced my front brake pads on the weekend as they were wearing down. One side was wearing faster than the other and the brake pad on that side was contacting the rim more than the other side. I needed to try readjusting the brakes and where the pads sit on the rim. Previous on-the-go attempts at moving the pads so the one on the other side is closer caused that brake pad's tail end (the part that is meant to remove dirt and debris before contacting the braking section) to rub the rim all the time and the brake pad still wasn't contacting fully on application of the brakes. Plus it was squealing at low speeds and the slight shudder at the end weren't acceptable.

So this lunch I got my multi-tool out and moved things around and I think I've solved the problem. Only the ride home tonight will tell but if I have evenly applied brakes and no squealing or shuddering then I'll be happy. :D

Whorl

Postby Whorl » Thu May 15, 2014 6:58 pm

Got overtaken by jasonc tonight on the way home talking about his ticket. Tried to keep up, but was too slow! ;)