How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

cancan64

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby cancan64 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:57 am

Cold here this morning.... wore my warmest jacket plus a thermal... sweated a bit climbing but rest of ride was snug...snow dumps down south and slowly filtering up here... guessing below zero in places... was to cold to go to gym so i had a sleep in
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:13 pm

After a night of cloud cover I thought it would be a bit warmer. In my disorganised start to the day, partially caused by having gear in unusual locations while drying out, left in the wrong gloves and forgot my shoe covers. Turned out to be pretty darn cold.

As I entered the sharepath I saw another rider about to enter from the next intersection along. He turned in behind me a short distance back then slowly gained. I'm not sure if I had also slowed a little to see if he would catch/pass, but may have. Anyway he then caught me napping by asking if I had a dropper post on my flat bar commuter, twice becuase I didn't catch it the first time. I replied it was a suspension post and I hate it. he then pulled in front and continued at what seemed to be a slower pace, possibly because of the draft. After a while I pulled alongside and asked which way he was heading, then continued to overtake and leave him well behind. At the end of all that I'm still not sure wether either of us was riding to our own pace, but suspect he MGIF (like I would) and couldn't hold it or the draft/rest was enough that I had some extra lace when I passed.

Cycling clears the head, but does make one ponder the small things at times.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:55 am

Had a weedy bloke try shoulder bumping me - I laughed. Sure its been a couple of decades since I was a rugby prop, but it was never going to happen
Anything you can do, I can do slower

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:02 pm

honourable reason for me today - half way through the ride got told to come home to a sick child. oh well

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:40 pm

My partner is sick (years of living in Brisbane has made her soft) so no Gym this week so have been having a sleep in and then a nice cruise to work... weather has been good but comes to an end today... 50km winds and rain as i look out my window with 30min to go... lucky i bought the wet weather gear but forecast is not good for the next week
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:48 pm

cancan64 wrote: forecast is not good for the next week
Shall i send you the Brisbane forecast?

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:37 am

jasonc wrote:Shall i send you the Brisbane forecast?
No... talking to my parents the other day who are complaining about the cold minimum which is still warmer than my maximum

I didnt think it was that bad yesterday, 12mm of rain fell during my commute, which is not that much but the wind was a shocker blowing me all over the place... this morning the wind had dropped to 44km but was mostly a head wind... only 3 of us for the shop ride and then they didnt want to stop for a coffee... mostly dry with a few downpours so i decided to keep riding but took a wrong turn and ended up on the road to work so decided on an early shower... after which it hailed... glad to have missed that

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:32 am

Down to 2 degrees on the ride this morning. First morning I've worn the base layer. Was thankful i did

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:24 am

I find I have to pick the right time to leave home in the mornings to avoid traffic. If I leave home at 6.30am this coincides with tradie rush hour, so heaps of utes and vans and trucks driven by fluoro outfitted guys, often that still have frosted up windscreens. If I leave home half and hour earlier or later then I avoid the tradies.

I am quite enjoying commuting on my new CX bike. It has the advantage of wider tyres (700 x 32) that provide better comfort and also feel much more stable of sketchy road shoulders, gravel, potholes and shared paths with sticks, rocks and tree roots. Loving the disc brakes too that still have great stopping power even in damp conditions and not grinding the braking surface of the rims into oblivion like rims brakes can do. Will definitely consider disc brakes for my next roadbike. CX bike aso allows me to choose more interesting alternate routes (ie off-road), away from traffic and to see nature. Downside is having to clean cow poop off the bike, but worth the trade-off I reckon.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:36 pm

Ross wrote:I find I have to pick the right time to leave home in the mornings to avoid traffic. If I leave home at 6.30am this coincides with tradie rush hour, so heaps of utes and vans and trucks driven by fluoro outfitted guys, often that still have frosted up windscreens. If I leave home half and hour earlier or later then I avoid the tradies.
I leave home at 0430 every weekday for that exact reason. Yes, it's 'ridiculous-o'clock' in the 'morning', but it works, because I have the roads mostly to myself.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:27 am

Got down to 1 degree on the ride in. Yup. Cold
Edit: Had a bloke ask if he could sit on my wheel which i said yes. I going hard trying to warm up. He gave me kudos, he got a pr

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:22 am

Thats to cold to be cycling in Brisbane...everyone in Brissie should have winter off from Commuting

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:27 pm

cancan64 wrote:Thats to cold to be cycling in Brisbane...everyone in Brissie should have winter off from Commuting
Auckland is even colder isn't it? Have winter off mate, you know you want to :P

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:47 am

Wind season has well and truly hit :|

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:26 am

Is it just me, or do garbage truck drivers generally show less regard for the road rules than motorists in general? One turned left into the road I was on this morning***, even though I was already fairly close to the intersection, and was completely unapologetic about it.

*** I use 'morning' loosely: my bicycle commute has me arriving at work while it's still completely dark.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:07 am

Ready to head off this morning...checked the weather forecast for the day..no rain and 10c which means 7c ... so kitted up, headed off and it buckets down... got to work and all the showers/handicap toilets are being used... I normally keep checking between 3 floors until 1 is free and finally found an empty one but someone had used the toilet and it was a shocker... texted my partner and told her I might not survive but it cleared quickly enough... then noticed my shirt smelt... been wet for a few weeks so clothes dont get aired that well...then noticed my lunch had leaked...then found my pair of socks was just a single sock but worse, went to get a coffee and there were no cups....tragic morning

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:24 pm

I rode my 'new' steed to work yesterday for the first time. Disc brakes I like, sitting that upright I do not. My legs have been lazy so they couldn't cope with passing and getting away from an MTB. It took a lot of effort just to stay in front of him. Hurry up and bring on the summer conditioning.

Last night I inverted the stem and moved all the spacers to on top to improve the riding position. Has helped the position a bit, but I need to adjust the saddle. I don't want to do too much though as the new frame has been ordered.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:53 am

had a bit of a stack on Friday morning...coming to T intersection off a downhill decent and I noticed a school kid about to step out in front of me so changed line to give more space which put me onto the white painted turn arrow and down I went... light bruising and grazes and on my left hand side for a change but when I went to get changed into cycling kit after work I could hardly lift my leg... thinking I have strained the groin unclipping the feet as I was going down... and in the end the kid did see me and stopped before stepping out... one of the few.
This morning was also eventful with another puncture... fun part was using the gas in 2c ... changing tyres tonight, expensive tubeless tyres are not lasting

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:03 am

cancan64 wrote:This morning was also eventful with another puncture... fun part was using the gas in 2c ... changing tyres tonight, expensive tubeless tyres are not lasting
Which tyres?
Are you using tubeless tyres, but still using tubes?

Also - cold here in Perth this morning. Layers layers layers.

When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:20 am

Mububban wrote:Which tyres?
Are you using tubeless tyres, but still using tubes?
Sworks tubeless tyre is the one that punctured this week and last week (had to put a tube in them early in there life)... but I am passing a lot of cyclists repairing punctures lately.

I havent changed the tyre yet...sick at the moment so by the time I get home I am wrecked... can wait until the weekend.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:20 am

Normal day commuting in Auckland... go to indicate that I am turning right and a car hits my hand as they turn left in front of me clipping my front wheel... later I have a green light so pick up the pace in case it goes red but then hit the brakes as a truck goes through a massive red light... then another car skims past me by cm to get to the red light before me... gave them a mouthful... then have a car stop in the middle of the road.. no indicators no nothing then a passenger gets out... then a car drifts into my lane heading straight for me ...lucky they looked up from there phone and went back to there side of the road (have had to get out of the way of 3 cars driving on the wrong side of the road this week) another close pass by a truck... a just missed dooring and then another close shave from a car racing to the red light who also then blocked my line... wonder why so many people dont cycle

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:59 pm

cancan64 wrote:Normal day commuting in Auckland... go to indicate that I am turning right and a car hits my hand as they turn left in front of me clipping my front wheel... later I have a green light so pick up the pace in case it goes red but then hit the brakes as a truck goes through a massive red light... then another car skims past me by cm to get to the red light before me... gave them a mouthful... then have a car stop in the middle of the road.. no indicators no nothing then a passenger gets out... then a car drifts into my lane heading straight for me ...lucky they looked up from there phone and went back to there side of the road (have had to get out of the way of 3 cars driving on the wrong side of the road this week) another close pass by a truck... a just missed dooring and then another close shave from a car racing to the red light who also then blocked my line... wonder why so many people dont cycle
Maaate, too dangerous down there in the shaky isles, time to take a break and stay safe.

Bloody cold here, 9 degrees and raining as I left work this evening, didn't get to 10 today.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:31 am

Was pleasant, if cool, yesterday. I'd been thinking the rear of my 'new' and temporary commuter frame felt a bit heavy in the rear compared to my last ride. Turns out I was right, copping a pinch flat 1km from home yesterday arvo. Walked the remainder and rode my fixie this morning to express my contempt with the new steed. I haven't ridden fixed for a while and suffered for it.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:40 pm

Wet roads this morning. No arm warmers, leg warmers or gilet required today. Amazing weather in Brisbane. Middle of august!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:05 am

Had a week off to go skiing & was welcomed back last night by (1) a bus overtaking me so that he could try & left hook me, (2) some moron yelling out the window, it was a bit hard to hear but it was something about his feelings of inadequacy & (3) the iPlod who spread his wings to prevent me from riding on the correct side of a shared path. I stopped & he then proceeded to yell at me about how I needed to be in the bike lane, while pointing at the shared path road marking on the other side of the path with a direction arrow pointing the way he was going & standing on the shared path road marking with the direction arrow pointing the way I was going. I don't have a photo, but the shared path road marking looked like this. I could have & should have handled it better.
Welcome back indeed
Anything you can do, I can do slower