How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

alexander

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby alexander » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:23 pm

Summernight wrote:Despite drinking lots of water in the few hours after hopping off the bike yesterday I didn't feel much better for the whole day and tried not to move around too much. The only time I did feel better was when I went for a walk at lunch. Got back to work and... blah.

Felt a bit better just before heading home (although I could tell my temperature was up). The ride home was average and I don't think I was completely on the ball. No crazies though, which was good.

Crashed on the couch and watched trash TV at home. The partner thinks it might be stress and being over tired as I've been working late. Maybe I'm allergic to work? :lol: ...
Sounds like you had dehydration, be careful with that, because as soon as you feel thirsty you already are dehydrated. Drink plenty of water before, during and after. Plus make sure you aren't too hot either, prickly skin, dry skin when you should be sweating, headaches, dizziness, lack of concentration, cramping. stress and depression can also affect you, but cycling should help with that, and the sleeping too. Listen to your body and if it says "hey easy today ok, I'm not feeling 100%" then take it easy.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:37 pm

TailWind wrote:
:mrgreen: Fair enough...that's certifiable :shock: . Think poohkies mentioned he's not much of a mountain goat....

i do more climbing in a day here than i did in a week in darwin, but all in time Tailwind all in time next year hopefully will be a more a mountain goat, currently at mountain ox!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:43 pm

poohkies wrote:
TailWind wrote:
:mrgreen: Fair enough...that's certifiable :shock: . Think poohkies mentioned he's not much of a mountain goat....

i do more climbing in a day here than i did in a week in darwin, but all in time Tailwind all in time next year hopefully will be a more a mountain goat, currently at mountain ox!
It should be noted I am no light weight either. Feeling better poohkies?

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:06 pm

poohkies wrote:
TailWind wrote:

That's the spirit, poohkies...all in good time, not too keen on the topography for my commute here in Melbs either - I do it because I have to :mrgreen:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:14 pm

AndreB1972 wrote:
TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote:73kms this morning. I hurt all over
Nice work!
Now you need to do another 58km during your afternoon commute to beat poohkies' 130km for a day's commute :wink:
Tailwind - don't encourage him...I see he is creeping up behind me in the challenge - I had a nice gap at the beginning of the week.

Jason, if you hurt all over you should probably go for a massage and take a week recovery ;-)
Trying not to encourage Jason, I'm eating a lot of dust in P3 :wink:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Whorl

Postby Whorl » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:15 pm

Made my first ever work commute by bike this morning in Brisbane. Was great weather for the ride (18km) and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Just waiting to see how I fare on the ride home! :)

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:16 pm

Congrats Whorl :) You won't look back!

I have only been commuting by bike for a bit over a month now, and hate days when I can't ride for whatever reason.

Whorl

Postby Whorl » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:18 pm

Thanks mate! I need to organise my gear and stuff a bit better, backpack was a bit too heavy. Some research this weekend methinks!

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:35 pm

Yup.. If you want to keep using a backpack then get one which is comfortable and reduce the amount you carry! I leave my Ipad at work most days and drive in to the office on the weekend to drop off clothes for the week.. This means my bag tends to only have the bike stuff (tubes pump etc) and any incidentals for the day.. I also have an ortlieb "briefcase" pannier which is awesome and carries more than I will ever need for my daily commute (using backpack atm though because I took the rack off last weekend and have been too lazy to put it back on so far)

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:37 pm

well done whorl
+1 to being organised - shoes at work, belt at work, toiletries, towel/pants change over weekly
just need shirt/jocks/socks and FOOD

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:49 pm

Plus another Whorl. I find organising some heavy days and light days works well too. Carry extra shirts/socks etc in one hit, then travel light(er) for the rest of the week. But definitely organising leaving some stuff at work is a good plan.

Perfect weather this time of year for commuting, at least in the mornings. Quite a few bikes out this morning too. I rode with someone else according to Strava this morning, my guess it was the guy on MTB that was closing the gap behind me. I had toasted two other riders by then and had backed off, but had to keep the pace a bit lest he got too close.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:52 pm

bychosis wrote:I find organising some heavy days and light days works well too. Carry extra shirts/socks etc in one hit, then travel light(er) for the rest of the week.
I do this.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:55 pm

Whorl wrote:Made my first ever work commute by bike this morning in Brisbane. Was great weather for the ride (18km) and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Just waiting to see how I fare on the ride home! :)
Good stuff Whorl, welcome to your new addiction! Keep at it!

Krellon

Postby Krellon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:59 am

Today's commute was not bad! It was dry for a change! :-D

Had a nice white Van give me a wide birth which is a bit unusual around these parts! Shame he nearly took out the oncoming car!

http://youtu.be/qV6o3FxKe_s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And on the same stretch I was overtaken on the wrong side of a traffic island by an impatient driver! Other than that fairly eventless.

http://youtu.be/tLZK6fpZyd0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Br

Life is Full of Surprises
https://www.youtube.com/user/krellon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life is Full of Surprises
https://www.youtube.com/user/krellon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:03 pm

Lol (AT) almost causing a head on, I know it's not funny but it confuses me how people think that putting themselves in risky situations is better than slowing down for 2 seconds. .

Well I've been having great commutes for a while, no real headwinds, rain etc. Anyway, friday comes along so a mate and I drop into the local for a beer and when we came out this greeted me..

One thing that really annoys me is people locking my bike to theirs. Locking your bike up is not rocket science! Lucky I was too far away from home to go get the grinder, so had to walk around a pub full of people to find out who it was. Gah, at least his mates were going to give him a good ribbing when he went back in.

Whorl

Postby Whorl » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:08 am

A little damp in Bris this morning. Almost didn't ride after looking out the front door, but glad I decided to brave it anyway! Lesson? I need mudguards on my commuter!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:10 am

a little damp? I got drenched.

Whorl

Postby Whorl » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:28 am

jasonc wrote:a little damp? I got drenched.
I didn't get rained on, but quick peak out the window at work after showering etc showed it raining. Must have had good timing!!

AndreB1972

Postby AndreB1972 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:38 am

I was the same as Whorl - just got to work before the rain started. Yesterday I was not that lucky - was wet the whole way :-(

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:42 am

first commute in a week, was nice to have normal feeling legs for a few days,

dropped kids to day care bit of a mtb in the middle, no wheelie practice while riding with the wife for a bit, she's definatly alot faster than last time i rode, and me with the single gear front just don't have time to muck about,managed to wheelie the whole of jack bower oval climb segment very chuffed, that's 700mt and the front wheel had stopped spinning :)

very wet but o wells get that, have to drop my car into the airport so my brother can get home this arvo, so weee eearly hour commute home tomorrow

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:57 pm

I loved riding past all the banked up traffic this morning - and I think there was more than usual. Grand Prix closing all the through streets, maybe?

I rode past the colourful F-1 cars placed outside the Regent Theatre on Collins St as well - I think they were setting up for an event. I had to turn and look as I went by. Noice. :P

westab

Postby westab » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:04 pm

Loved my commute this morning - just so nice. Great weather, peds were all considerate, even some kids riding to school with mum in tow.The legs felt good - I didn't have to rush; but still found good speed (for me at least). March is usually the month that I feel my best - ride home tonight I am hoping is just as good.

Guys and girls its time to get out there and go riding before the cold sets in - so lets enjoy :mrgreen:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:46 am

No commute on Monday due to Labour Day in Vic, no commute on Tuesday due to a very poor night's sleep, was still tossing and turning by the time I normally get up, so I wrote off going to the office and worked from home.
Back at it this morning, with a new derailleur at the back and a new SMP 700x25 on the front, yay!. The Durano Plus that came off the front seems to have experienced some sort of delamination judging by the ripples and bubbles on the inside of the tyre. Headwind all the way into the CBD, but not too bad a ride overall.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:17 am

Another glorious morning for riding, spoilt by having to arrive at work at start time (lunch time would have been much better). Bit of CCR fun for a change. Caught and passed four riders in a group, then later caught another riderjust before I turned off so there was no point passing.

Need to work out a system where I can leave a lot earlier to up the kms. 6.7km just isn't enough for upcoming endurance events.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Whorl

Postby Whorl » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:46 am

Lovely morning in Bris for the commute today. First time doing consecutive days with the bike, legs didn't complain as much as I thought they would
Took a little but to get used to the feeling of the bike after installing a rack last night and riding with pannier bags. Good though, upper body felt a lot better!