How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

bychosis

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby bychosis » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:49 pm

Took a chance on the way in and got 'red sky at morning'. Managed a good 45km with a special for the last 6-7km. Rear shifter stopped working leaving me in the biggest cog. Fine for up hill, but not much fun when the remainder of the route was downhill and flat.

Then on the way home the heavens had opened up (cyclist didn't get the warning from the red sky) and I was still stuck in the big cog trying to fight a strong southerly (headwind for half the way) and get home as quickly as possible.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Shred11

Postby Shred11 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:15 pm

Riding home on Tuesday, down a steep zigzag section of shared path and came up behind a young bloke on a skateboard. He was going like the clappers down the hill and around the curves. I hung back and matched his speed for a bit. Once we reached the bottom, he slowed and I pulled up along side him. I said "you were doing 35ks down that hill!". He was way chuffed.

Tonight - same hill, same dude on the skateboard. He was held up a bit by another cyclist. "Did I go faster tonight?". I think he's aiming to get to 40km/h. Pretty amazing skills on the skateboard.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:14 am

commute post ex-TC Debbie was fine - some debris. two trees down - one required a diversion, the other I could duck under

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:15 pm

jasonc wrote:commute post ex-TC Debbie was fine - some debris. two trees down - one required a diversion, the other I could duck under
Did you have a decent tailwind?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:18 pm

adam0bmx0 wrote:
jasonc wrote:commute post ex-TC Debbie was fine - some debris. two trees down - one required a diversion, the other I could duck under
Did you have a decent tailwind?
I was too busy making sure I didn't run over everything. Average speed was slow because of it. Not looking forward to the headwind home.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:22 pm

A tale of two councils mowing along the path today.

Whittlesea has the grass/crap thrown away from the path.

Darebin manages to throw the grass/crap onto the path.

?????? Turn the mower around Darebin!! I'm starting to think this is deliberate......

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:46 pm

Last month was my first month since moving to NZ that I have not been hit by a car.... first riding day of the new month and a car cut in front of me turning into a side street... hard to stop at 40km/hr and ended up clipping the back of his car... no damage and he apologised but getting a bit tired of it.... at least I have the whole month to go now before I have to worry about being hit again
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:45 am

First proper wet commute yesty. Three hours in constant rain. And it kept getting colder. However....nothing compared to this morning. Ooof.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:24 am

Autumn is def. here now. I like it.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:14 am

fat and old wrote:Autumn is def. here now. I like it.
Yep arrived last night in Sydney too - had to get out the arm warmers for the first time.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:22 am

Debris everywhere yesterday, weaving around tree branches galore, oh, and a property "for sale" sign blown over too, quite a big one! Some serious wind gusts needed to blow that over. Very cold too.

Cold again today, but not quite as bad. At least it isn't so dark in the morning at the moment, but the flip side is that it is dark in the evenings when I get home.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:10 pm

Donned long sleeves this morning, but probably shouldn't have - it's not that cold yet, just a shock to the system after a hot summer.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:24 am

Arm warmers for the first time this year

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:18 am

Booties and rain jacket yesty for first time. It was 7 degrees when I got home. And wet. Very wet. My new shoes got all skanky :( . Actually, they're really cold too.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:40 am

Twas cold this morning here too. 13 degrees, so not that cold, but a shock to the system.

Not sure if I made it to work though, the GPS stopped about half way and it's not on Strava.

ChrisR24

Postby ChrisR24 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:26 pm

Well, today was interesting. The police pulled over a bike in ahead of me as we were crossing into Sylvan Rd from the western bikeway. I suspect they were narky about him not crossing at the designated point near Milton Rd junction and doing more of a "jaywalk" style crossing. Since I did almost the same as him, I was lucky I wasn't picked up as well.

If that was his transgression, it's very lame for the police. It's actually safer to move further away from Milton Rd before crossing the street as the cars that right turn from Milton Rd are more difficult to see/handle when you're closer to the intersection.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:37 pm

Chris - actual fine is $97 for riding the wrong way. I go down to the intersection now and then cross.
of course we could all ride over the coot-tha bridge and then go on milton rd and turn right into sylvan rd. that may create some traffic mayhem :D

ChrisR24

Postby ChrisR24 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:12 pm

jasonc wrote:Chris - actual fine is $97 for riding the wrong way. I go down to the intersection now and then cross.
of course we could all ride over the coot-tha bridge and then go on milton rd and turn right into sylvan rd. that may create some traffic mayhem :D
You cross at the first T junction away from Milton Rd - is that what you mean?

My aim is to have as few interactions with cars as I can... although I appreciate the idea. :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:03 pm

ChrisR24 wrote:
You cross at the first T junction away from Milton Rd - is that what you mean?
yes

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:36 am

I saw them there both days that I rode that way the other week when I was over... I presume it is for our safety that they are revenue raising... dont miss living in the police state sometimes
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:44 am

cycleshame (n) : the feeling you have when you decide to take the train to work because it's too cold and wet and the neighbourhood teenagers ride past you in summer uniform and a flimsy rain jacket on the way to school

I took the last two days off in Melbourne due to massive morning downpours (including hail). It didn't stop the kids though. Back on the bike this morning, with winter boots for the first time...although they weren't needed as it was much warmer than expected.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:15 pm

4000kms commuting ytd. cold this morning. had arm warmers and toe covers on.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:26 pm

It's getting dark earlier. Copped a pinch flat not far from work and while that isn't normally a problem I didn't have a front light fitted and got home after dark. Fortunately the vast majority of my ride is not on the road and I had a rear light flashing brightly away.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon May 01, 2017 11:31 am

Winter socks just doing the job atm. Still getting used to the new shoes....I've taped up all of the air things in the soles.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Tue May 02, 2017 11:18 am

Got the Gabba out this morning for the first time this year in Melbourne. I thought it was about 7 degrees but evidently the BoM app hadn't refreshed as it warmed up quite rapidly and was probably about 12 when I got to work. Because of my choice of baselayer and leg warmers I ended up overheated.

1st world problems. Lovely autumn morning though.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0