How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

cancan64

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby cancan64 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:30 am

Cant complain about the weather here... I found my arm warmers on the weekend but overheated yesterday so left them behind today... we did drop down to 9c ... and the rain stopped before I left so has been perfect cycling conditions
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue May 22, 2018 1:01 pm

Apparently the latest danger for cyclists riding along Melbourne's Nepean Highway is runaway horses (going faster than the cyclists). And yes, the horses don't wear helmets or pay any form of road tax.
The article is behind the paywall of Melbourne's Feral Hun newspaper, so I haven't read it, but it's probably just there for anti-cyclist clickbait, as per this paper's usual modus operandi.

It is on Youtube, however: https://youtu.be/c7ZqxmBDumQ

I don't know if they were commuting, or just out for a ride, but just thought I'd post it here, anyway.

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:56 am

Another commute for me today! - Struggled to get out of bed with these cold mornings. Brisbane should not be this cold and especially not in Autumn! But chucked on the wind jacket, some skins and long fingered gloves and off I went.

got 2km down the road and realised I left my water bottle at home.....couldn't go without that, so turned around and rode home. But I guess its more km under my belt!

Didn't seem to be as many people out this morning so a pretty uneventful ride, which was actually a good thing to just tune out and knock off the KM's

Arrived at work and straight in the shower only to realise I forgot to grab a towel, so a near bare a$$ed run to the towel racks was quite the sight I imagine!

Now just waiting for my Wiggle order to arrive with some more Commuting goodies for future rides :)

Enjoy your day everyone!

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:32 am

cancan64 wrote: has been perfect cycling conditions
famous last words... down to 7c this morning with a cold head wind but I thought I would still go a longer loop at which point it started raining so got to work wet and cold... looking forward to putting on the wet kit this arvo.

Yesterday when I got to work the shower/handicap toilet was being used so I went a floor up but also busy so down to the lobby shower which was also busy.. after going up and down a few times I set up camp outside the shower on my floor...another cyclists came in so he went up stairs... waiting ...waiting...waiting... 30min after I had arrived still waiting and then the other cyclists went passed all showered so up stairs I went.... end of day, being 7pm, I went to get changed and someone else was in the shower... thought that was strange as few people here so knocked on the door and no answer ... then wondered if someone this morning had slipped and knocked themselves out or worse so fetched a screw driver and with trepidation opened the door.... to an empty shower... someone somehow locked it from the outside somehow but glad I didnt discover a body
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed May 23, 2018 12:13 pm

Copped a flat yesterday arvo so hoofed it the last km or so instead of attempting a roadside repAir.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Tequestra

Postby Tequestra » Wed May 23, 2018 1:45 pm

Another short ride (<5km) this morning was quite uneventful for the most part. Only two cars passed on the dual-carriageway with the Big Hill, and both were so graciously courteous and changed from the left to the right lane before passing me, which is common sense not to buzz other vehicles if you can avoid it. This year Perth traffic is noticably friendlier than when I began these commutes last September.

Possibly the time of day. I didn't start today's ride until twenty past ten which is the latest all year, so that might explain the fewer than normal road users, but not necessarily the increased courtesy.

There was one fun moment with a mean looking lowered dark-blue VN Commodore with tinted windows and a loud, smoky exhaust. It started when I was doing a 270 at a roundabout and he stopped for me as I passed the 180 mark and that put me in front of him up the narrow hill with cars (and an 8' wide articulated semi-trailer) parked along the side with a break of around 40m right at the start. I trusted this bearded bogan to know what to do when I pulled over to the left in that short 40m space before the semi-trailer. He floored it! Wise move, mate. He just made it past in time for me to pull in behind him and get by that truck. It was a close one, but I'd rather have drivers around with that heightened degree of situational awareness that I witnessed today by the bogan in the dark blue lowered Commodore.

Riding more than once a week does seem to have its benefits to the cardio-vascular system. Today was not a race, and I was happy dropping to 26.5km/h at the slowest point up that Big Hill, but it was more of an old feeling all the way there and back on the dual-carriageways, (always anxious metres whether there is traffic around or not - habit), of the legs feeling like a train. No pain, no conscious thought, just legs that pump without getting tired for that long 5km ;-) I guess that this old man's stamina is improving with practice.

I think today's ride was a pretty nice one, and the timing with the weather made it seem like the right thing to do today when it's 27*C. Google tells me this extended summer is here for a good time, not a long time. Enjoy it while it lasts, fellow Sandgropers.
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed May 23, 2018 1:52 pm

cancan64 wrote: Yesterday when I got to work the shower/handicap toilet was being used so I went a floor up but also busy so down to the lobby shower which was also busy.. after going up and down a few times I set up camp outside the shower on my floor...another cyclists came in so he went up stairs... waiting ...waiting...waiting... 30min after I had arrived still waiting and then the other cyclists went passed all showered so up stairs I went.... end of day, being 7pm, I went to get changed and someone else was in the shower... thought that was strange as few people here so knocked on the door and no answer ... then wondered if someone this morning had slipped and knocked themselves out or worse so fetched a screw driver and with trepidation opened the door.... to an empty shower... someone somehow locked it from the outside somehow but glad I didnt discover a body
That would be a concern. Handy way to keep it available for yourself if you know what I mean....

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu May 24, 2018 10:22 am

jasonc wrote:That would be a concern. Handy way to keep it available for yourself if you know what I mean....
Yeh I wondered that

All good this morning except I left my phone at home and had packed partners knickers... didnt realise female knickers were so so comfortable

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu May 24, 2018 10:59 am

cancan64 wrote:
jasonc wrote:That would be a concern. Handy way to keep it available for yourself if you know what I mean....
Yeh I wondered that

All good this morning except I left my phone at home and had packed partners knickers... didnt realise female knickers were so so comfortable
Haha. Where's Lizzy when you need her?
Edit: woke up at 3:30. Gave up and got up at 4. After exercises, I was still on the bike by 4:45. I got 40kms done and at work before sunrise

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu May 24, 2018 11:00 am

Cancan, so many comments, anyone of which would result in me having to ban myself

I ran out of motivation

Shred11

Postby Shred11 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:52 pm

I've had a pretty good run lately with motorised vehicles, but all good things come to an end.

On Monday morning, I had an SRT Logistics truck turn across my path, forcing me to brake to avoid a collision. It's the third time one of these trucks (presumably the same driver) has done this to me at the same intersection over some months. Pretty sure I have the first incident (and now the third) on camera.

On Tuesday morning, on the same road, I had a high-vis wearing moron tailgating very closely in a 4wd. Garmin Connect tells me that I was doing 53km/h at the time (steep downhill) and the rear Mobius camera shows a 0.9 second gap. Far too close. The next set of lights were red anyway and always stay red for ages, so he wasn't being held up at all, but moron chose to stop only 1.5m from my back tyre. I wonder what goes through the tiny little minds of these steering wheel attendants? Guess they see a cyclist and the red mist descends... and then the primitive ape brain takes charge.
Last edited by Shred11 on Fri May 25, 2018 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

commute

Postby commute » Thu May 24, 2018 9:08 pm

It was a nice warm ride home this afternoon in Perth. So many clouds of midgies by the river though.

Tequestra

Postby Tequestra » Fri May 25, 2018 4:10 pm

commute wrote:It was a nice warm ride home this afternoon in Perth.
Look at it now! I wimped out and drove the Big Truck into town this morning, so I can't really justify a post here, except that I would have ridden the bike if I was not so gutless. This is the result of my commute this morning: It did not happen with a bicycle because I was scared by the weather.

I have wet-weather gear and could have done it if I had to, but what would have been the benefit? Just a whole lot of pain and extra laundry to prove I am macho? Well, I am also officially an old man now, so macho is not that much of an imperative that one would want to get wet without good reason. I'll ride again next week when the weather clears up and overall life will be smoother.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri May 25, 2018 5:43 pm

bychosis wrote:Copped a flat yesterday arvo so hoofed it the last km or so instead of attempting a roadside repAir.
Lucky I didn’t attempt the roadside repair. When I grabbed the spare tube out of my pack to fix the flat this morning I ended up fixing two tubes. Would have been a futile attempt replacing the tube roadside.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Tequestra

Postby Tequestra » Fri May 25, 2018 5:50 pm

bychosis wrote:When I grabbed the spare tube out of my pack to fix the flat this morning I ended up fixing two tubes.
Please excuse me for this interruption, Bychosis, but would you have any idea what a LBS usually charges for labour to replace a typical 700c tube?

On Tuesday afternoon a mate of mine dropped by on his nice little fixie with super-aero Shimano rims and a visitor from South-Africa - Mr GG. A flat back tyre with a double-gee puncture. He's fifteen years younger than I am and if his papa never taught him how to use a tyre lever it is not my blimmen' fault! He wants me to fix his tyre for him. His bike has been sitting on its handlebars and seat on my persian rug since Tuesday while I wait for him to bring me a replacement tube, and he has offered to pay me for my time. What is the usual rate for labour only to replace a tube and wash my hands after?

Ed.: Not to worry. He wouldn't know either. You can't say I didn't try. :wink:

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sat May 26, 2018 3:46 pm

Riding home the other day, the bike felt a bit funny. Thought I copped a rear tyre puncture as it felt as though the bike was wobbling when you get those slow punctures. Nope tyre was all good, the left hand crank had become loose! Only held in by the plastic tension cap for the last 1-2 kms home.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon May 28, 2018 3:26 pm

jasonc wrote:
cancan64 wrote:
Yeh I wondered that

Haha. Where's Lizzy when you need her?
Don't mind me, I was just trying on BF's Calvin Kleins again ... grass on the other side, & all that :shock:

Cold, dark start this morning. Slow end of normal range time due to post-storm debris everywhere, or at least that's my excuse today. A couple of light dustings of rain, seemed to keep a lot of people away.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 29, 2018 6:38 pm

Cool this morning (average 8ºC) and quite a lot of smoke from bush fires (hazard reduction burning), and lovely on the way home tonight with beautiful warm temperature (20ºC). I may have accidently did another 10 or so kilometres extra. :lol:
tez001 wrote:Nope tyre was all good, the left hand crank had become loose! Only held in by the plastic tension cap for the last 1-2 kms home.
Woah.... :shock:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue May 29, 2018 9:05 pm

Legs were complaining after proper cramping from the Port to Port Sunday and not even a numbskull driver spoiled the vibe.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue May 29, 2018 9:06 pm

tez001 wrote:Riding home the other day, the bike felt a bit funny. Thought I copped a rear tyre puncture as it felt as though the bike was wobbling when you get those slow punctures. Nope tyre was all good, the left hand crank had become loose! Only held in by the plastic tension cap for the last 1-2 kms home.
I know the feeling, one of my bikes has a left crank which constantly coming loose. Replacement on the way but I need to tighten it a couple of times on the way to work.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:33 am

A bit fresh here as it dropped below zero this morning... slowly finding the winter gear

AndreB1972

Postby AndreB1972 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:59 am

DavidS wrote:
tez001 wrote:Riding home the other day, the bike felt a bit funny. Thought I copped a rear tyre puncture as it felt as though the bike was wobbling when you get those slow punctures. Nope tyre was all good, the left hand crank had become loose! Only held in by the plastic tension cap for the last 1-2 kms home.
I know the feeling, one of my bikes has a left crank which constantly coming loose. Replacement on the way but I need to tighten it a couple of times on the way to work.

DS
I've used Loctite on the bolt of a square taper crank bolt, and also on Hollowtech style with 2 bolts, both with good success. Cheaper than new crankarms. I'm not sure this will work if you ride them loose a few times, because the crank arm may get damaged.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:51 pm

Yeah I have never had them come loose again. However, this bike was bought from a shop and I don't recall I ever checked the crank bolts etc. It appears fine, just need to wait for a new security pin for the crank

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed May 30, 2018 7:46 pm

It damned well rained quite badly on the way home. :x I tried riding as fast as I could but I still got rained on. Not too bad though.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed May 30, 2018 9:46 pm

AndreB1972 wrote:
DavidS wrote:

DS
I've used Loctite on the bolt of a square taper crank bolt, and also on Hollowtech style with 2 bolts, both with good success. Cheaper than new crankarms. I'm not sure this will work if you ride them loose a few times, because the crank arm may get damaged.
That set of cranks has always been a bit noisy and the bike has done almost 14,000Kms so I'm quite happy to replace it all. Loctite was one of my first thoughts though.

My commute was fine tonight as I managed to make it home before it really started raining.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)