How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

bychosis

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby bychosis » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:24 am

Rounded the two lane roundabout turning right from King St to The Esplanade at Warners Bay this morning so in the inner lane. Car was in the outer lane going straight on. I stayed in he he middle lane as I wasn't sure if he would slow to let me in, or speed to pass. There are speed humps that slow some drivers along that section so it's anyone's guess. I kept my pace as I don't need to slow for the humps. Car sort of came up, backed off, came up, backed off, probably due to the humps. Eventually after the next roundabout my arm went out and I moved left. Should have stayed there in the right lane, the car did change lanes and pass me, but then slowed for the last big hump (like everyone does) and I caught him up. Nothing dangerous, just disconcerting as a vulnerable road user up against a morning commuter in a BMW.

Otherwise nice and cool again this morning temp at work was around 3.5 on arrival but it is a nice day and there was only a whiff of wind to cause ripples on there lake.
Last edited by bychosis on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:29 am

Remote connection to work PC did not work this morning so I have to rush to work :) My earliest commute to work this week so far. Going up hill is a struggle - I think I am gaining some weight lately :D

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:57 pm

Grrr, legs were frozen on my commute to home. Not sure why it feels so cold this evening.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:31 pm

Had to rush home this arvo. First arvo headwind in ages, only light but Mother Nature sometimes doesn't help out! Sweated my way through the parent teacher interview, sorry teacher.
Last edited by bychosis on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:32 pm

bychosis wrote:Had to rush home this arvo. First arvo headwind in ages. Mother Nature sometimes doesn't help out!
Usually head wind is there when you are speeding :)

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:45 pm

Drizzle on the way in, drizzle going between campuses, drizzle on the way home. Geez, it's like the weather when I was kid, drizzle almost seems uncommon in Melbourne these days.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:25 am

Last commute for a week as I am off skiing, so I celebrated by jumping on the roadie instead of the flat bar commuter. Was only a few minutes quicker but it felt fast :D
Anything you can do, I can do slower

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:31 am

find_bruce wrote:Last commute for a week as I am off skiing, so I celebrated by jumping on the roadie instead of the flat bar commuter. Was only a few minutes quicker but it felt fast :D
and spd cleats on ski too? :mrgreen:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:01 am

find_bruce wrote:Last commute for a week as I am off skiing, so I celebrated by jumping on the roadie instead of the flat bar commuter. Was only a few minutes quicker but it felt fast :D
Have an awesome week of skiing. It'll be good for the cycling muscles! Muchos jealous! :P

I felt like I was going to sneeze for half the ride into work this morning. Then finally I did sneeze about four times in a row when I got to the bike racks at work. Darn cold.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:11 am

jasonc wrote:bruce - a few weeks off is what he needs. i
Happy to oblige :mrgreen:. Worked from home yesterday too - so that's two days this week already.
Good ride into the CBD this morning, damp roads from yesterday's rain.

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:21 am

back at work today. daughter still sick but she wanted to go to school. big ride tomorrow with the ACF weekend wanderers so i cruised in

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:41 am

I was going to give myself the whole week off after ripping myself a new one last week, then heard there was a train outage. And if the trains are out there's no way I'm driving.

Had a maddening wheel/brake/mudguard noise suddenly develop on the front lawn - thought I'd just picked up a twig and it would work itself loose but no - stopped twice to try and diagnose/fix and nothing worked and it kept up the whole way. Sigh, how embarrassment :oops:

Coming over the narrows, couldn't see the city at all. Curiously though, the traffic was moving better than I'd ever seen it. Further south I found the reason - apparent Falcon vs Echo vs Tree vs Fence between Canning and Mt Henry. Hopefully no injuries, but there was a crew cutting up a tree that had gone down across the PSP.

TFIF!
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Orion

Postby Orion » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:25 pm

Pleasant ride in this morning. Today is the only day I've ridden. It's POETS Day so I'm about to head home. :D
Avagoodweegend.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:55 pm

Brr. 3.5C + headwind + rain in a couple of places. Cruisy ride as befits a Monday morning.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:59 pm

My lovely daughter has given me what she had. twas a slow commute this morning. off to the doctors tonight to get some drugs. will be asking for peptides and epo. any other suggestions?

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:09 pm

jasonc wrote:My lovely daughter has given me what she had. twas a slow commute this morning. off to the doctors tonight to get some drugs. will be asking for peptides and epo. any other suggestions?
Testosterone for recovery and take some blood for a future boost

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:41 pm

Friday night I went down in the lift to the change rooms in the basement level... Only to turn around and make a hasty exit when I opened the door to a flooded downstairs area... And not with water but with sewage. :oops:

Only problem was my bike was in the car park on the floor below the change rooms. After changing back in the office where it was safe from streams of sewage, I tentatively took the lifts further down... Luckily the lift lobby was clear of sewage but from behind a closed door was the ominous sound of flowing 'water'... And in the car park there were showers of sewage with massive puddles. I tried to take photos but the smell overwhelmed me and after grabbing my bike I dashed out of there... On the way out I warned a young family with baby who were walking towards the sewage showers that it wasn't water.

I had to go back near the sounds of gushing water due to needing to use the emergency exit (since they've removed the inside garage door opener meaning people without remotes like me can't get out that way) and I was anticipating a disgusting view when I opened the door, but luckily the way was clear.

The whole ride home I couldn't get the smell out of my head. Yuck.

This morning was cold, but quite pleasant. :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:53 pm

Summernight wrote:The whole ride home I couldn't get the smell out of my head. Yuck.
I understand how you feel. For months after the 2011 floods in Brissy, I'd ride past pockets where you could distinctly smell the flood water (wife described it as muddy fish). It would have taken over 12 months for those pockets to disappear.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:53 am

This morning didn't seem as cold as yesterday and my legs felt pretty good. Cars once again completely blocked the Albert/Hoddle St intersection and I couldn't help the smile on my face as all the cars couldn't get through and were venting their frustration with loud toots at the cars blocking the intersection. Not so us cyclists!

Poor job by the water people to have their truck and trailer blocking the bike lane in Albert Street beside Fitzroy Gardens without allowance for us bikes to get around them - it's not pleasant having to try and merge with the cars.

Chatted to a fellow cyclist at the lights about the Fly6, GoPros and handlebar mounts. 'Twas nice. :)

And the changerooms where the sewer flooding happened now smell like Gummi Bears due to the cleaning product they've used. Whenever I walk in there it makes me want Gummi Bears... Mmm... Yummy.

I saw a cyclist riding in the non-bike lane on Elizabeth Street, Melbourne about 30cms away from the car doors. I shuddered as I went past her. Accident waiting to happen!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:59 am

went to the doctors last night to confirm the obvious - flu. "take it easy. it will last a few days". sure, yeah right

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:18 am

Summernight wrote:And the changerooms where the sewer flooding happened now smell like Gummi Bears due to the cleaning product they've used. Whenever I walk in there it makes me want Gummi Bears... Mmm... Yummy.
Darn you - my son played this on endless loop & I have only just managed to purge it

http://youtu.be/astISOttCQ0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anything you can do, I can do slower

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:14 pm

jasonc wrote:went to the doctors last night to confirm the obvious - flu. "take it easy. it will last a few days". sure, yeah right
Listen to your doctor! Fluids & lotsa rest :)

Lovely conditions in Melbourne yesterday afternoon, some sunshine, 12C or so, dry. Wind mostly in my favour.
Warmer than yesterday this morning, around 5C with some patchy rain. Cautious ride along wet paths.....

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:17 pm

Summernight wrote: Poor job by the water people to have their truck and trailer blocking the bike lane in Albert Street beside Fitzroy Gardens without allowance for us bikes to get around them - it's not pleasant having to try and merge with the cars.
I see the pipes laid out along the footpath, but at 5am it's all quiet otherwise - bit mucky on on the bike lane though...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:23 pm

TailWind wrote:Listen to your doctor! Fluids & lotsa rest :)
he's not my doctor. just some bloke who says he's a doctor at a medical clinic. Tomorrow is a public holiday in Brisbane (royal show day - you'd remember that one TW before it got Jeff'd) so i have a day of rest anyway

kb

How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby kb » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:40 pm

My last visit to the Show was pretty much when I realised I was no longer a little kid. The most exciting part was the cheese show bag :-)

Left a bit late today, but a great run in until traffic stalled coming into Richmond.