How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Xplora

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Xplora » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:33 pm

gretaboy wrote:
Xplora wrote:5 commutes this week so far. Yesterday managed to average 30.1kmh over the 42kms, including some storming efforts along the Parramatta Cycleway (38-39 on the flat the whole way).

Really need a Garmin to grab some segments, and track the rides better.
see someone posted that garmin 500's were going for $269 or such at the moment...a special
I'm really in the secondhand market in a big way... :(

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:53 pm

Nice little commute via Redcliffe this morning :)

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:09 pm

extra 14 km's added to my ride home, I really need to sort my eating out during the day, was great for the first 1 hour, but after that i was phsycally stuffed :) managed a few pb's along some segments

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:15 pm

You guys are so fast. I only have to ride 9km and it takes me half an hour. Mind you there is lots of slowing down to cross little side streets, and a couple of traffic lights that can be a long wait, and a tram line to get off and cross. My work colleagues all told me not to ride today as it was forecast 42 in Adelaide. Well that's a red rag to a bull isn't it, telling me I shouldn't do it. The ride in was nice.
It was 43 on the way home and not very pleasant but when they ask me tomorrow I will tell them all it was very nice thanks :mrgreen: There were plenty of other cyclists and two mad joggers jogging with no shirt on in the sun.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:33 pm

TigerFilly wrote:You guys are so fast.
this will make you feel better then. recovery ride home. averaged 23.3km/h. small crank only.
that better?

Marto

Postby Marto » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:14 pm

jasonc wrote:
TigerFilly wrote:You guys are so fast.
this will make you feel better then. recovery ride home. averaged 23.3km/h. small crank only.
that better?
Even better, I averaged 21.7 km/h today. I was coming off a 3 week break, so I was in recovery mode. Got to have a good look around.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:20 pm

non-descript commute home this arvo, except when I got home there was noone there and I didnt have keys. Oh well, ditch the work gear and ride off into the ... headwind as it turned out.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:24 pm

Xplora wrote:
gretaboy wrote:
Xplora wrote:5 commutes this week so far. Yesterday managed to average 30.1kmh over the 42kms, including some storming efforts along the Parramatta Cycleway (38-39 on the flat the whole way).

Really need a Garmin to grab some segments, and track the rides better.
see someone posted that garmin 500's were going for $269 or such at the moment...a special
I'm really in the secondhand market in a big way... :(
I got a basic smart phone, $200ish, mix with android app and away. I'm sure a Garmin is more accurate, but phone was a necessary upgrade (unrealiable one replaced). I dont have a data allowance, so it uploads via wi-fi when home. Lasts for a good few hours too - at least four with enough battery left to make a call or two
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

98octane

Postby 98octane » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:30 am

Yesterday was 40C in Melbourne, but that didn't stop me riding flat at as usual. Morning and evening rides were both within seconds of my PBs. 38kph+ on flats. Lots of ped and bike traffic on the MYT, but I probably picked up a few CCR scalps on route. Riding home after 7pm meant there were less people all over the path between Fed Square and the tennis precinct.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:38 am

Yep, Melbourne was sweltering hot yesterday afternoon. I left just before 3pm, when the temp was nudging 49C, and 30km later at my place the weather station showed 42C. Took it easy, but for some reason felt it more yesterday than I did for the previous couple of 40C+ days we have had, maybe because the hot northerly headwind was fairly intense.
When I left at 4:30am this morning, we were still at just over 30C. Crazy.

Edit: pix from yesterday afternoon:
This guy shot through the lights a couple of seconds after they turned red for him as I'm starting to turn into Collins St. The red car has already stopped and you can just see him coming into view.
One of those pesky trail bikes that wreck the peace on the Darebin Creek Trail
Last edited by TailWind on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:45 am

TigerFilly wrote:You guys are so fast. I only have to ride 9km and it takes me half an hour. Mind you there is lots of slowing down to cross little side streets, and a couple of traffic lights that can be a long wait, and a tram line to get off and cross.
The speed isnt the key part as far as I am concerned when it comes to commuting. Yes it is nice to say I do this speed and so forth, but it is way more important that you make it from point A to point B in one piece and alive.

I was trying for an average of 30k this morning but just missed out, 29.9. But I was happy with that given this is my first ever full 5 day week of commuting and I have achieved 484 k's in total for the week so far and I have the ride home to go yet. This is the most ever k's I have done in a single week. It was a warm ride too and supposedly the ride home will be in the 40+ temps so will be taking it nice and easy in the small front chain ring all the way home.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:41 am

TigerFilly wrote:You guys are so fast. I only have to ride 9km and it takes me half an hour. Mind you there is lots of slowing down to cross little side streets, and a couple of traffic lights that can be a long wait, and a tram line to get off and cross.
gretaboy wrote:The speed isnt the key part as far as I am concerned when it comes to commuting. Yes it is nice to say I do this speed and so forth, but it is way more important that you make it from point A to point B in one piece and alive.

I was trying for an average of 30k this morning but just missed out, 29.9. But I was happy with that given this is my first ever full 5 day week of commuting and I have achieved 484 k's in total for the week so far and I have the ride home to go yet. This is the most ever k's I have done in a single week. It was a warm ride too and supposedly the ride home will be in the 40+ temps so will be taking it nice and easy in the small front chain ring all the way home.
& I am happy with my 150 ks commuting for the week. The thing is that for pretty much everyone, there will be someone out there who rides faster or further, or in my case, both. There are no sheep stations up for grabs, so ride at your own pace. You are right about the road conditions slowing you down - I am at least 5 kp/h slower on my commute than on weeked rides, mainly because on the weekend I choose to ride where I can keep a good pace up.

Its all good

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:08 am

Nice 40km's before work hopefully do another 40 this afternoon with a bit of casual fun at the velodrome after work!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:09 am

knackered. rode with a new group this morning. we went up to brookfield and then it's a smashfest on the way back. "recovery" via half a riverloop. 78kms. body is in meltdown.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:10 am

jasonc wrote:knackered. rode with a new group this morning. we went up to brookfield and then it's a smashfest on the way back. "recovery" via half a riverloop. 78kms. body is in meltdown.
big ride for a morning commute...congrats...now to do that each day :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:17 am

gretaboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:knackered. rode with a new group this morning. we went up to brookfield and then it's a smashfest on the way back. "recovery" via half a riverloop. 78kms. body is in meltdown.
big ride for a morning commute...congrats...now to do that each day :)
no thanks. this week has been hard enough:
monday - std commute in/out
tuesday - full on riverloop in, std out
wednesday - std commute in, std out
thursday - riverloop in, recovery out
friday - stupid ride in, crawl home

am still coming back from injury remember!

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:27 am

jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:
...now to do that each day :)
said in jest...damm black and white text lol

no thanks. this week has been hard enough:
monday - std commute in/out
tuesday - full on riverloop in, std out
wednesday - std commute in, std out
thursday - riverloop in, recovery out
friday - stupid ride in, crawl home

am still coming back from injury remember!
wasnt that injury last years :mrgreen: :roll: this is a new year

but it is a huge ride injury or no injury and especially on the last day of a five day commute. I was personally really feeling it myself this morning and if current conditions continue I am in the hurt locker all the way home http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR043.loop.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the one near cessnock is most relevant to me and that arrow will be pointing into my face all the way :(

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:18 pm

Was being stalked by a car this morning, joined the Jim Sorley bike path and the car was forced to do a U turn as it's a dead end street only to find out that it was the Police. I stopped waiting to be questioned and I had a witty retort to the expected "What are you doing riding around at 4.20 in the morning" the response "I ask myself every day" Very witty indeed. However KonaCommuter was denied :lol:
2012 Oppy A4

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:27 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:Was being stalked by a car this morning, joined the Jim Sorley bike path and the car was forced to do a U turn as it's a dead end street only to find out that it was the Police. I stopped waiting to be questioned and I had a witty retort to the expected "What are you doing riding around at 4.20 in the morning" the response "I ask myself every day" Very witty indeed. However KonaCommuter was denied :lol:
sounds similar to my wife this morning. "what the hell are you doing getting up at 4am in the morning?"

got 100kms for the day commuting. did a recover ride on the way home (small crank). now I hear I may have to do an airport run on monday (no commuting). grrrr

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:49 pm

90% Tailwind coming home :D

That is all. :D :D 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:52 am

Good work Jason!

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:40 am

My ride home friday was a hot one...little electric sign on a building stated the temp was 44. The headwind was pure furnace type stuff and did not help in any way, stopped me from even dripping a drop of sweat. I had put a drink bottle in the freezer at work, 3/4 filled, and when I left work it was solid. I think by the first 15 k's it was total liquid and hot. Made sure I had plenty of stops along the way.

Ended up only doing 37 of my normal 45 k's as I txted the recovery vehicle to come and pick me up. I didnt think I could do my little hill right near the end of my commute in that heat.

This morning was a hurtful one, my legs were really hurting for some strange reason. Apart from that it was an ok ride.

Had one idiot cyclist though...I was stopped at a set of traffic lights, fully sic red, and on my left this cyclist just blows right through the red. I couldnt believe it. He had plenty of time to stop as I had a foot down and was standing myself. All I could do was shake my head, think what a tool and hopefully the stack of cars on either side could see that I wasnt impressed. I am sure this cyclist would go off his head if a car did something wrong which affected him.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:11 am

Forgot to mention...had my biggest week ever last commuting...total of 521 k's for the week.

It was strange, my legs actually felt like they were getting stronger as the week went on...I thought they would be totally shagged by Thurs/Fri

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:20 am

gretaboy wrote:Forgot to mention...had my biggest week ever last commuting...total of 521 k's for the week.
Congrats on the big week!

Though
gretaboy wrote:It was strange, my legs actually felt like they were getting stronger as the week went on...I thought they would be totally shagged by Thurs/Fri
might be related to...
gretaboy wrote:This morning was a hurtful one, my legs were really hurting for some strange reason. Apart from that it was an ok ride.
:mrgreen:

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:41 am

Ozkaban wrote: Though
gretaboy wrote:It was strange, my legs actually felt like they were getting stronger as the week went on...I thought they would be totally shagged by Thurs/Fri
might be related to...
gretaboy wrote:This morning was a hurtful one, my legs were really hurting for some strange reason. Apart from that it was an ok ride.
:mrgreen:
yeah it may be..but I also did a session of "boxercise" on saturday morning for an hour and a half and that had leg stuff too...so maybe a combination of both. My calf muscles are very sore and normally I dont get soreness there so am thinking it is sat morning related

have got "boxercise" again tonite...after I get home from my commute...am I stoopid or what hahahaha