How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

TonyMax

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TonyMax » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:53 am

For $100?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:30 pm

Last night I headed to my partner's work footy match (which I also play in) along Swanston Street and St Kilda Road. Is there ALWAYS a headwind heading that way on a Monday afternoon? I swear every time I've ridden that way to head to the match there has been a headwind.

There was a man with his two little children all riding bikes along Swanston Street. Very cute.

We played footy and then had a barbecue in Fawkner Park with the team. It was a beautiful night. After eating a few too many sausages, I handed my commuting backpack over to my partner to take home in the car and rode home feeling very light (sans backpack feels that way) and pleasantly full. Haven't done a barbecue in the park in forever - it was great!

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:44 pm

jasonc wrote:
TonyMax wrote:Looking at a set of RS21s this weekend.
so not strong or cheap. really?

if you are under 80kgs (with backpack), awesome. otherwise, run away
I have no idea of the comparative quality or value of Ksyriums, but the set on my bike have done maybe 7k so far, me starting at 99kg. Ridden over all sorts of horrible bike paths, dirt roads and smooth hotmix. Have no broken spokes, run true, smooth and fast (to me anyway when the skewers done up proper :oops: ). With a pack I would have been nudging 102-5kg at times.

Like I said, I have nothing to compare to, but I don't break spokes.....so I'm happy.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:19 pm

left work with my boss. we then go slightly different ways. i thought i was in front of him as I had a good run so waited.
ran into cancan (cheers for the chat mate)
called my boss. turns out he was ahead of me.
turbo mode on. caught him just before where we normally split about 10kms up the road

am50em

Postby am50em » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:44 pm

Waited for rain to ease before heading into work this morning and then about 1km after leaving I could not get front derailleur to change properly. Cable looks like it has slipped so rode back home and got out the road bike. I noticed that its seat seemed slightly low but nothing to worry about and rode to work in light traffic given it was after 9:15 and school holidays. Since I had the road bike and the weather had cleared decided to ride home via Bobbin Head and get some extra kms in. Feeling pretty good - nice sunshine not too warm but bit of a head breeze. About 25 minutes into ride realized why the seat felt a bit low - I was not wearing padded knicks. On the commuting bike have a Selle Italia gel seat so just wear what are basically unpadded knicks under mountain bike shorts. The road bike has a Selle SMP Pro which I always found very comfortable. I think it was just as comfortable wearing the upadded knicks - maybe even more comfortable. 37 PRs on the trip so a great commute home :D

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:24 am

Put the new disk brake pads in last night. Was a little worried they might be grabby on the wet surfaces this morning, but they've bedded in nicely and we're pulling up quickly and predictably again. The originals were down to bare metal in two places so now I have a rough estimate of how long the new ones should last: 1 year / 4,000 km.

bmk1068

Postby bmk1068 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:50 am

Melbourne had brilliant weather for this mornings run into work, even stopped and took a picture of the Kerferd road pier. Off to Sydney for work tomorrow and Friday so no more commutes for this week.

markyrocks

Postby markyrocks » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:51 am

RonK wrote:
Lizzy wrote:Whilst grateful to have a job/income I am inconsolably distraught to be back from leave today, x-speshly considering my time off was spent in part doing the Alps2Ocean trail in NZ in outrageously rude style.

But I felt stronger than expected and made good time, so managed to start as I aim to continue. Full house in the nice shower blocks, had to go and use the geos' mould bunker ... Ah well. Back to the bazillion Outlook red flags, le sigh ...
Well, here's a little something to remember it by.

OMGosh that is amazing.... thanks for sharing

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:55 am

Great shot, thanks RonK. I had the best time, you guys.

Back in reality: hot in the city. 34 on my way in apparently.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:40 pm

After a month of glorious holidays with narry a concern, sadly it seems the morons have returned - 3 in one commute this morning.

Nothing spectacular - #1 who looked for all the world like he wasn't going to brake at a give way sign before a last second emergency braking saw him stop just after the give way sign, #2 who turned right at a T junction, neither slowing nor looking to his or her left, forcing me to brake to avoid a collision & #3 who turned left at a T junction, slowing down but not looking to his right, again forcing me to brake heavily to avoid a collision. While he may be blind, it seems he is not deaf as appeared surprised at the results of his audible character assessment.

Wonder if the time off has re-sensitised me to morons. At least I wasn't completely detuned as none of the took me by surprise.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:55 pm

This screen stretching with the panoramic (and very lovely) shot of New Zealand is doing my head in. :P

Speaking of NZ we're going there this year too - couple of weeks motorhoming around both islands as part of our honeymoon. Looking forward to it! :)

Lovely ride in this morning. Roadworks are also being done on Albert St/Elizabeth Street at the intersection of Hoddle Street. The paint markings on the turn into Hoddle Street appear to indicate they will be painting a bike sharrow sign and also may be narrowing the left hand vehicle lane (maybe to allow the bikes an easier merge? who knows). Would be great if they removed the left lane and created a bike only lane and finished the separated bike lane all the way up Albert Street from Hoddle.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:32 am

Leaving work I had a flat. Very worn back tyre, sidewall failing, but I was hoping it would make it to the end of the week. When I got another puncture near home I accepted that the new tyre had to go on tonight. Still, first punctures for about 18 months and I knew the cause.

This morning I had a car just go straight through a stop sign, slowly, right in front of me. He didn't see me becasue he wasn't looking in that direction. If there was a car there he wouldn't have seen that either. Really, how can someone drive like that? He simply did not look, his head was facing the wrong way. What an idiot.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:19 am

Another beautiful day today. The works on Albert/Elizabeth are progressing. They had blocked off the second vehicle lane and the bike lane for the works this morning (beside the car cleaning place). I'm really interested in what the end result is going to be.

Last night I got a couple of honks from the driver of a Subaru at the top end of Collins Street as I was claiming the lane near the super stop at Spring. I ignored him which seemed to work well (just a few more honks after that but he kept his distance). As we went around the corner into Macarthur Street I moved into the bike lane and indicated he could now safely pass... Which he did by driving in the tram lane instead of the vehicle lane... Pretty sure that's not an area that is useable for car drivers, but he seemed happy to zoom past in that and at least he wasn't anywhere near me when he did so.

I almost forgot about the two e-bike riders who zoomed past me and the cyclist behind me as we pushed off from a set of lights this morning. I couldn't help but laugh after being surprised by their quickness. The first e-bike rider I recognised as he is a regular and distinctive in his upright posture and ease pushing the pedals as he zooms along at 35kph. The second right behind the first was a new one for me, but the telltale whirring of the front hub motor gave him away. I didn't feel as bad as they disappeared into the distance because I knew they were on e-bikes. :P

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:01 pm

Went to work over the hills, put in some effort to try and get a PB. After recovering on the way back down the other side noticed my garmin sitting on zero. Forgot to press start when I left.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm

wet roads for the group ride this morning on the commute. there were only 2 of us so we did a lazy look.
there's rain coming this afternoon but i should get home before it

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:15 pm

On the way home shortcut-ted a corner, heard a banging and a clanging, looked behind me and saw a rock flying into the air and the sound of my tyre rapidly deinflating. Fixed it with a formerly repaired tube and 500M later, hmm, feels a bit squishy, previous repair, no good. Put a new tube in and thoroughly inspected the tyre, still 22km to go. Later had a driver decide to pull out of a driveway right in front of me with my arm out to the right and on the right side of the road, he had to get to the stop signed intersection before me and I had to swerve and put my arm back down to grab the brake. Later on he was coming back the other way through a roundabout and I was able to gives him the eyes signal "V" or up yours, whichever way you look at it, so I had some restitution.
No signature

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:09 am

excuses thread for me today. it's seriously wet

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:38 am

Saw one of those treadle scooter things rocketing down the Kent street bike path this morning. Either the people who ride them are a very select breed, or the treadles must be very efficient because they always seem to be going very fast despite standing bolt upright and presumably having the aerodynamics of a wheelie bin.

jools

Postby jools » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:06 am

I regularly see a lady on one of those elliptigo strider things on the cooks river path, she gets along pretty well. Yesterday I overtook a guy on a unicycle with a wheel the size of a mountain bike's while the lady on the elliptigo was approaching from the other direction. I felt a bit normal amongst all the odd contraptions!

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:26 am

jools wrote:I regularly see a lady on one of those elliptigo strider things on the cooks river path, she gets along pretty well. Yesterday I overtook a guy on a unicycle with a wheel the size of a mountain bike's while the lady on the elliptigo was approaching from the other direction. I felt a bit normal amongst all the odd contraptions!
:lol:

Nice ride home last night, except for on the corner of Elizabeth and Collins where a car decided to turn left and put its indicator on AS it started turning left. Me in the gutter-non-bike-lane bike lane beside him had my spidey senses going and took the turn with him until he heard my shout and stopped to let me correct my course. If he had indicated early like he is supposed to do I would have gone past on the right. Clearly indicators are optional (although I shouldn't talk, I need to get one of my indicator lights replaced as it has blown - will do so shortly - but I am hopefully more aware of cyclists when driving my car than that driver was).

Lovely ride in this morning, even with the wind. The legs on the morning run were screaming, but the ride was nice. :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:39 am

Another post, trying to get to the next page and away from the huge image :)

Seemingly nice conditions this morning, but very humid. Couldn't get out of bed early enough for a long commute, so opted for a hill climb addition. Struggled up it this morning a bit. Back onto the share path and I got an angry arm wave from an oncoming cyclist as I overtook another rider. It was touch and go wether to slow to wait or use the gap, I think I chose the wrong option and had to cut back in a bit quick. Sorry hybrid rider ;)

'Twas very busy this morning, I passed at least 6 riders when I would normally only see the occasional oncomer. There were heaps of peds around too including a young couple that were wandering along the centre and then decided to go right. After hearing the bell. I was well back so it was no biggie, they did however stroll back to the centre once I passed.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:31 pm

bychosis wrote:Another post, trying to get to the next page and away from the huge image :)

Seemingly nice conditions this morning, but very humid. Couldn't get out of bed early enough for a long commute, so opted for a hill climb addition. Struggled up it this morning a bit. Back onto the share path and I got an angry arm wave from an oncoming cyclist as I overtook another rider. It was touch and go wether to slow to wait or use the gap, I think I chose the wrong option and had to cut back in a bit quick. Sorry hybrid rider ;)

'Twas very busy this morning, I passed at least 6 riders when I would normally only see the occasional oncomer. There were heaps of peds around too including a young couple that were wandering along the centre and then decided to go right. After hearing the bell. I was well back so it was no biggie, they did however stroll back to the centre once I passed.
Will one more post bring up the next page ? I am not sure which troubles me more - the huge image or the fact that I would rather be there than commuting to Sydney CBD.

Nice that you are open to acknowledge you chose the wrong option.

Dropped in to the cop shop on the way home the other night to lodge a complaint about the moron parking on the bike path & then trying to hit me with the car door. The constables seemed ok with it so will wait and see what is happening.

The humidity this morning was sapping, but on the plus side, commuting to work meant I wasn't hanging around at home with a long honey do list. :)
Anything you can do, I can do slower

geoff_tewierik

Postby geoff_tewierik » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:48 pm

I had to side with jasonc today - way to wet to be riding in Brisbane today if you had the opportunity to get to work another way. Bus and train for me.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:55 pm

Next page yet- perfect weather over here in Boganland

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:55 pm

Now?