How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

TailWind

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:56 am

Pleasant ride back via MYT yesterday afternoon, wind in my favour for a change.
Bit of a headwind into the Melb CBD this morning, but nothing too dramatic.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:35 am

The bike is making an intermittent creaking noise on revolution of the cranks under pressure. I'm not happy about that but I can't work out where it is coming from (which isn't a surprise).

Nice ride in this morning... Apart from me being and feeling really slow... oh and the smoke that billowed into the office building's basement carpark from The Australian Club fire which started minutes before I got to work. Someone said the smoke was toxic. I hope not because I inhaled a bit of it. :roll:
The Age wrote: Image

One of Melbourne's most exclusive venues, the Australian Club, is on fire.

Thick black smoke was pouring out of the opulent building on the corner of William and Little Collins streets on Wednesday morning.

Four units from the Metropolitan Fire Brigade were on the scene and it is understood the fire began in a chimney within the club.

The Australian Club is one of Melbourne's most exclusive venues. Photo: Ben Patrick

Established in 1878, The Australian Club was founded by a group of "Melbourne gentlemen" who found it difficult to make the journey in bad weather (due to flooding) to the ultra-exclusive Melbourne Club on Collins Street.

A near-perfect example of late Victorian gold-rush era architecture, the grand and highly decorative building holds an Australian Heritage Listing.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:47 am

Summernight wrote:The bike is making an intermittent creaking noise on revolution of the cranks under pressure. I'm not happy about that but I can't work out where it is coming from (which isn't a surprise).
bottom bracket.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:13 am

jasonc wrote:
Summernight wrote:The bike is making an intermittent creaking noise on revolution of the cranks under pressure. I'm not happy about that but I can't work out where it is coming from (which isn't a surprise).
bottom bracket.
Not again.... :|

(I had to replace the previous BB in November last year. This new one was installed in late January (had a loaner for those few months in between) - that's barely 6 months of use!)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:16 am

How many kms?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:26 am

Summernight wrote:
jasonc wrote:
bottom bracket.
Not again.... :|

(I had to replace the previous BB in November last year. This new one was installed in late January (had a loaner for those few months in between) - that's barely 6 months of use!)
you ride in all weather?

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:45 am

Yesterdays EXTREMELY rare strong northerly was simply bliss.
No easier than normal... 36.8km/hr average for 26km's was tough. A couple of Strava KOM's and PB's :)

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:49 am

jasonc wrote:you ride in all weather?
Yes, all weather. It does get an intermittent wipe-down every now and again to remove dirt and grit around the BB. :wink:
It is an external hollowtech BB. I have a spare ready in case this one packs it in as badly as the other FSA one did (cranks seized up), although this current creak only started yesterday.

How many kms... Um... The Garmin says just over 1100kms for this year which should correspond with how many kms this BB has done.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:20 pm

[quote="Rex"]Yesterdays EXTREMELY rare strong northerly was simply bliss.
No easier than normal... 36.8km/hr average for 26km's was tough. A couple of Strava KOM's and PB's :)[/quo

Corrected below
Yesterdays extremely strong northerly was simply hell (for those NOR), did manage a PB and top 5 position on a segment by riding past home and turning around to head south for a km or so, with the commuter I run out gears around 50km/h (46x12)- would love a compact but funding is an issue and with the 53 cr I tend to cross chain too much. Will be getting a 26-11 cassette when the current one is replaced.
Last edited by CXCommuter on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dajackal

Postby dajackal » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:22 pm

was riding my usual route this morning. quiet suburban backroad, single lane, came up to a narrow bend with a median strip so i 'took' the lane by going about 1/3 of the way into the lane.

halfway into the bend i hear a car right next to me. i turn my head and realise the car was trying to pass. just as i gave him the finger and he just accelerated to overtake me on a single lane, with me 1/3 already in the lane. almost clipped me. he kept driving without batting a eye.

ridiculous

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:01 am

Well summer must be coming...temp was 2 degrees when I left, not 1 degrees like the other mornings.

Uneventful ride all up. Sun has disappeared and got some serious cloud cover, just got to hope it doesnt rain on the way home.

alkhoo

Postby alkhoo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:05 am

Monday's ride home from Port Melbourne to Blackburn North was great. I took a mixture of paths and roads along the Main Yarra Trail, Yarra Blvd, Kilby, Bulleen and then back onto the Koonung Creek Trail.

Tuesday, took the car.

Wednesday, back to the Southern Cross - Port Melbourne - Southern Cross train/bike commute. It's only 4km-ish each way and feeling good, I hammered it both ways. I paid for it last night and so just a gentle ride in this morning. Saving my legs for this arvo. I'm meeting up with another train/bike commuter. We're going to get off at Gisborne and ride home to Kyneton. I'm hoping Mt. Macedon southside is not on the menu today...

Dropbear20

Postby Dropbear20 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:29 am

There is a bloggist here in Singapore who says rain is not an issue when commuting because it hardly ever rains in the morning. Well today was one of those "hardly ever" days as the heavens opened up for 15 minutes. That was enough. I was soaked and had to pull over under shelter. The tiny holes in the side of the road they call drains on this stretch of road couldn't cope, resulting in some flash flooding. Even after the rain I still got wet. There's no point carrying a rain jacket - you sweat just as much and still end up wet.

vortex1018

Postby vortex1018 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:22 pm

Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.... the smell.... and feel of grass in my nose :(

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:55 pm

Fairly speedy ride back via the Darebin Creek Trail yesterday afternoon.
Cold this morning, but also done at a good clip. It'll be a mad dash this afternoon to be back in time for a telecon, and it's the hilly MYT ride too...
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:14 pm

Throwing Prolink at the pedals and BB seems to have shut the creak up (temporarily at least), although I didn't think it would given that when I did it at lunch yesterday and rode it around the office basement it was still creaking whenever the drive side pedal just reached the top of the revolution. I couldn't hear anything last night (not surprising as riding in the city and then at 40kph down Albert St doesn't allow me to hear little creaks over the wind and noise). This morning though there wasn't a peep. :)

I was thinking I may have been a bit underdressed this morning, but it turned out fine. The feet and fingers stayed warm so that was good.

Passed a few riders on the flat stretch of road after Albert St, East Melbourne turns into Elizabeth, Richmond last night. There were a few more than normal! I definitely like riding at my own pace and not behind someone else (unless they are going the same speed as me, of course, which would be nice to draft. :P)

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:29 pm

I had an awful wheelsucker on my commute home a few nights ago, blinding me with his overly-bright flashing light which was aligned perfectly with my mirror.

Cold this morning...my eyes were tearing up a few times.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:02 pm

__PG__ wrote:I had an awful wheelsucker on my commute home a few nights ago, blinding me with his overly-bright flashing light which was aligned perfectly with my mirror.

Cold this morning...my eyes were tearing up a few times.
The sucking of wheel is OK imo but the flashing light really is the real sucks.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:35 pm

Seen on Gardiners Creek bike path (Melb) this morning; bloke on triathlon bike with disc rear and teardrop helmet.
.... I will leave you, dear reader, to supply adjectives

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:44 pm

Arvo commute was quite uncomfortable.
-Two cyclist taking both lanes on the shared path, worst is one of them have this super powerful blinky while cruising in fully lit shared path.
-Pedestrian walking along the middle lane of the bike path. My bell is not effective as this lady is wearing a headset, probably with her iPod in full volume.
-Another cyclist with 1800 lumens of LED pointing horizontally blinding all cyclist and pedestrians in opposite direction
-Dumb jogger who couldn't decide which lane to take. FFS, there is a lane for bike, and a dedicated lane for pedestrians, why take all three of them?
O, and by the way, all these happens along Epping Road Bike Path.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:35 pm

rheicel wrote:Arvo commute was quite uncomfortable.
-Two cyclist taking both lanes on the shared path, worst is one of them have this super powerful blinky while cruising in fully lit shared path.
-Pedestrian walking along the middle lane of the bike path. My bell is not effective as this lady is wearing a headset, probably with her iPod in full volume.
-Another cyclist with 1800 lumens of LED pointing horizontally blinding all cyclist and pedestrians in opposite direction
-Dumb jogger who couldn't decide which lane to take. FFS, there is a lane for bike, and a dedicated lane for pedestrians, why take all three of them?
O, and by the way, all these happens along Epping Road Bike Path.
Hey what time and what direction were you riding this arvo?

Cheers, Simon
Sent from my mApple myPad using Tapatalk HD
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:39 pm

Boognoss wrote:Hey what time and what direction were you riding this arvo?
Hi Simon,
I think that was around 6PM. I was only riding from Lane Cove West to North Ryde.
http://app.strava.com/activities/69652957

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:42 pm

rheicel wrote:
Hi Simon,
I think that was around 6PM. I was only riding from Lane Cove West to North Ryde.
Phew wasn't me then, I was heading the same way super early with "only" 1400 lumens flashing. ;-)

http://app.strava.com/activities/69648854

Cheers, Simon
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:48 pm

Boognoss wrote:
rheicel wrote:
Hi Simon,
Phew wasn't me then, I was heading the same way super early with "only" 1400 lumens flashing. ;-)

Cheers, Simon
:lol: , great commuting distance there Simon.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:37 pm

rheicel wrote:
Boognoss wrote:
rheicel wrote: Hi Simon,

Cheers, Simon
:lol: , great commuting distance there Simon.
Thanks, a combination of necessity (preferring cycling to buses) and not bothering to put on cycling gear for sub-45 min rides makes a difference for me :-D

Cheers, Simon