How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

gretaboy

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Wed May 01, 2013 10:38 am

rheicel wrote:
gretaboy wrote:I get to see roo's on my ride too, the only issue is that they are usually splattered across the highway or on the edge and they stink to high heaven. Had refreshing change yesterday riding home....saw a huge bloated cow on the side..poor thing...and it stunk too. Just wondered if it was a car or semi which hit it. Either would have some serious damage I reckon as it was a big critter
Nah, not those dead roos, lol!I want to see the jumping ones :lol:
haha but thats where they went wrong, they jumped right instead of left :)

Walst

Postby Walst » Wed May 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Lost a cleat bolt on the way to work this morning. Might have to make a trip to the LBS on my lunch break and beg for a spare. Do hardware stores stock the right size?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed May 01, 2013 12:28 pm

gretaboy wrote:
Xplora wrote:COmmute was a slaughterhouse... rode 110kms after work yesterday, so very worn out.... hoping I don't come down with a bad cold lol

why lol...did the wife move house during the day and not tell you about it???
Did a huge run down the M7 straight after the commute from work.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed May 01, 2013 12:53 pm

Xplora wrote:

Did a huge run down the M7 straight after the commute from work.
kudos then...thats a big ride after a day at work

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed May 01, 2013 2:04 pm

rheicel wrote:^^^nice to see those roos while riding. We have to go to the zoo to see them here!
Here you go...the closest one was no more than 5m away, although the Contour Roam makes its seem further...

Edit: spelling
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed May 01, 2013 6:36 pm

I made an effort to breathe extra deep on ride home last night to use that extra bit in lungs that casually isn't used.

Over-did it apparently and had stabbing pain on deep breath by time I got home, more on ride in this morning, and after a 'walk it off' at lunch it is worse to all breathing shallow and short of breath now. Self diagnosed by internet to sound like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costochondritis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
unsympathetic wife suggested this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypochondriasis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Edit: rode fine on the he bike taking 10% slower average and testing all the gears finding cable adjustment was hub issue, but stabbing pains returned at home, carrying clingy 11kg toddler didn't help

So I'll be doing a tourist ride home tonight. First day out on the winter bike too, didn't get the new fenders on but the Alfine 8 IGH was very smooth and off to a relatively good start, some gears dropped out/in under different circumstances. Not sure on how much is break in versus cable adjustment (edit: was the cable, adjusted while rolling and jagged a sweet spot), but I had similar on a new Nexus8 red line previous to the Alfine 8 so am not alarmed just yet. Looking forward to fenders and putting 32c tyres on it.

Was a nice change of pace, taking it easy on the way home, some nice storm clouds rolling in, appreciating being dry as it's just coming down now here.
Last edited by eldavo on Wed May 01, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed May 01, 2013 7:59 pm

Take it easy there eldavo :?

Got home this arvo in the calm before the storm in Perth it seems, solid NWer with a big tide overflowing into the Canning bridge underpass and the first few droplets as I pulled in the drive.

Heading out through one of the campus access roads I experienced a near left-hook from a black hatchback - armed and delivered my very best weapons-grade stink-eye, of course it was a higher-up. D'oh ... fortunately the point was made without me opening my mouth but I might be about to discover how recognisable I am in my riding gear :oops:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed May 01, 2013 9:23 pm

Perth:

I have been on leave for nearly a week and, while I have not been slouching, not having to go to and from work certainly does have an effect.

However this morning I left home respectably early, got to my coffee stop, meandered around a fair bit and got home. I haven't checked the log yet but it was quite substantial and well in excess of my usual daily commute.

Pleasing.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Thu May 02, 2013 7:14 am

Rained on heavily on the way home yesterday. Crisp this morning at 4C with apparent temp of 1C. the battery in my speed/cadence sensor did not like the cold as it was cutting out. Time for a new one after 3 years.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu May 02, 2013 9:18 am

This mornings ride was lovely..thought my legs would be ok after a day off the bike but they seemed to struggle more than usual. Strong headwind the entire way didnt help. Got to work and the radar was showing southerly winds around the 40 kilometre mark.

Just got told my new wheels arrived this morning so am a happy chappy.

Kudos go to Deon and his team at Prolite. Ordered/paid for the wheels on Tuesday, got them Thursday. Thats good service. Now just got to see if these wheels last for 20 thousand k's or so :)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu May 02, 2013 10:07 am

Mixed weather commute yesterday afternoon, some rain then blue skies, then rain again...ultimately, I was damper on the inside from stewing in the rain jacket than from the rain on the outside...oh well, Melbourne as we know and love it.
Chilly 6C start at 4.30am this morning. Roads were damp and there were a few drops, but nothing serious.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu May 02, 2013 10:30 am

Horrid ride home last night directly into the wind for the entire trip :x , no rain though. Absolutely shattered by the time I got home. This mornings ride in was faster (tailwind :lol: ) but solidly wet which was much more pleasant than the headwind. Lake Monger looks a lot less inviting today Eldavo.

Of course I have a new wet weather jacket in the mail that will likely arrive today!!!

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu May 02, 2013 11:20 am

lower back is killing me :(
but slow ride in

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu May 02, 2013 12:11 pm

CXCommuter I used the radar and prevailing ailment as an excuse to wait 30min for the front to pass.
I took a dirty bike to not get the new one grimey before getting the fenders on, I only got wet/covered in road grime from the front tyre throwing it up.

A while back I dawdled leaving before a storm and ended up in a solid hour of downpour, in same travel path as me. I was thinking "what's that salty taste" when it was an hour solid downpour and I didn't think I should be sweating to get the salt... I realised it was the road grime I was tasting from mouth open breathing. I've tried to keep my mouth closed closed since then =D

The bike rack I park at with half dozen other bikes was limited to just me and a fellow all seasons commuter. Understandable, riding in the dark on wet roads isn't fun. I noticed more people with flats earlier in the week, wondering if it's broken glass from it beign school holidays, with more graffiti around the PSP's too.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Thu May 02, 2013 12:19 pm

eldavo wrote: A while back I dawdled leaving before a storm and ended up in a solid hour of downpour, in same travel path as me. I was thinking "what's that salty taste" when it was an hour solid downpour and I didn't think I should be sweating to get the salt... I realised it was the road grime I was tasting from mouth open breathing. I've tried to keep my mouth closed closed since then =D
Are you sure it wasn't your helmet spongy bits dripping re-hydrated soaked up sweat? I know mine does that in the rain.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu May 02, 2013 12:27 pm

Haaha, well there was the crunchiness of the sand in my mouth, but the salt from helmet liner sounds right!
Grimey filfthy thing it would have been too as it was first big storm since the prolonged summer in autumn, and hadn't been washed over summer. I've got 3 of the same helmet with same liner pieces and have just changed helmets before, only just now got around to washing the first two liners onto the 3rd helmet. The first two were green so you could visibly see as well as smell the overdue time to change, but this 3rd has black liner pieces, just checked and it passes the smell test after first week's use =D

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu May 02, 2013 1:16 pm

Eww to licking up the road grime. I road home once behind someone without mudguards on a rainy day (I wasn't even that close to them) and had to spend a while when at home wiping the grease and muck off my face, arms and legs. Won't be doing that again.

Last night I ended up doing sprint intervals on the way home with all the red lights. There was a cyclist who I think was trying to draft behind me for one or two bits. They couldn't keep up. :mrgreen: I don't think that is because I'm very fast, just faster than them on their fatter MTB tyres. :)

A beautiful (cold) morning this morning. Had the bright orange and rainbow armwarmers on although they look strange when wearing a sleeveless top. But the cooling effect of the little bit of exposed skin on the bicep was so much better than heating up too much in the full sleeved windproof jacket.

Had a nice chat to a man riding an electric scooter (like the child ones that you stand on but with a skateboard type standing area and the small handlebars sticking up from the front) in the bicycle lane who stopped beside me at the lights . Not sure whether it was electric or petrol as I asked him how fast it could go and he said 35kph. :shock: That's fast for a scooter, IMO.

He praised my pink horn and wanted me to press it. Second person to praise my pink horn in a week (it is mounted on my chest strap so maybe there is an ulterior motive to commenting on that area? :twisted: ). :D

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Thu May 02, 2013 1:33 pm

Summernight wrote:
He praised my pink horn and wanted me to press it. Second person to praise my pink horn in a week (it is mounted on my chest strap so maybe there is an ulterior motive to commenting on that area? :twisted: ). :D
Are there pictures of this horn?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu May 02, 2013 1:50 pm

thomashouseman wrote:
Summernight wrote:
in position of course.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu May 02, 2013 3:01 pm

jasonc wrote:
thomashouseman wrote:
Summernight wrote:
in position of course.
:lol:

I took some photos after the office worker wanted to touch it. Not in position, sadly (for you, not for me :P). I don't think my chest area is big enough to warrant a squiz. :lol:

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu May 02, 2013 3:05 pm

Summernight wrote:

I took some photos after the office worker wanted to touch it. Not in position, sadly (for you, not for me :P). I don't think my chest area is big enough to warrant a squiz. :lol:

Being 100% politically incorrect ....now now you must let us decide whether your chest area is big enough or not......for a horn to be placed

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu May 02, 2013 3:11 pm

gretaboy wrote:
Summernight wrote:

Being 100% politically incorrect ....now now you must let us decide whether your chest area is big enough or not......for a horn to be placed
agreed. btw - nice horn bag.

sorry.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu May 02, 2013 3:16 pm

Summernight wrote:

it is refreshing summernight that you are willing to have a joke and not be upset by us males....you come across as an alright lady

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu May 02, 2013 3:39 pm

Honk honk :lol: :lol:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu May 02, 2013 3:47 pm

Horn bag. Good one Jasonc. You should get points for that. Will CCR points do? :lol:
gretaboy wrote:it is refreshing summernight that you are willing to have a joke and not be upset by us males....you come across as an alright lady
Ahh, but I'm not a lady... According to all those articles I've been reading that have been linked here that is. Since I ride on the road, claim my lane, wear lycra (ish), act assertively in traffic, most likely would swear at an idiot who was being stupid around me and whatever else. Therefore not a lady.

I think I'll go cultivate my beard now: