How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

WarbyD

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby WarbyD » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:43 am

Pleasant enough commute in this morning although the bike isn't feeling 100%.

All the wet weather over the last few weeks has DESTROYED my brake pads - to the extent that grabbing big handfulls of both brakes (pulling the lever right back to full travel) was barely able to slow me down, let alone bring me to a stop in a reasonable distance (as soon as the LBS across the road from my office opened this morning I dropped it in to have them replace the pads for me) and the whole bike feels "sluggish" - It feels like I'm pushing a higher gear or riding against the brakes (which, given my lack of brakes.. is obviously not the case haha).. thinking perhaps all the water and grit over the past few weeks has worked into bottom bracket perhaps so is introducing resistance through the crank? As a result, planning to do a good deep clean and regrease everything this weekend.. Anything that moves, if I can work out how to pull it off/apart, will get pulled off, cleaned and greased.

Got new wheels from another forum member yesterday, very happy with them.. Look much sexier than what they replaced :D

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:33 pm

jasonc wrote:hope it's not a crack too luke
feeling terrible but still rode to work. TW is too close
That's no good, Jason...don't mind me, I'm just plodding along...hope you feel better!

My last two commutes were, by and large, characterised by two things: howling northerly winds and unleashed dogs on the PSPs; owners oblivious, with bovine stares in response to my admonishments about leash laws.
Other than that, all good.

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:48 pm

find_bruce wrote:I am sure you are polite enough to ensure all fingers were pointing in the same direction :D
Of course. It was a see-you-later-but-you-might-actually-know-me-so-be-more-careful-who-you-honk wave as I rolled by... Full-fingered. :P

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:06 pm

Cleaned up by a Ninja Hipster this evening just south of Karrinyup Rd- he pulled out in front me and I hit him almost head on, he was going quite slow but I was doing ~25km/h. Went over the tp but managed to land okay (MTBing sometimes has it's benefits). Regardless scraped knee, elbow, sore thigh (corked) and twisted thumb. Bike appears okay, checked front wheel/frame/fork and all in good nick ust had to reseat the front wheel as it had come loose (skewer undone).

His bike is a write off, frame cracked at head tube and front wheel completely buckled. He was also hobbling quite bad but didn't want any help. BTW he also stank- must be allergic to oxidised hydrogen (too many free radicals or something).

Hope I wake not too stiff as have group ride I would like to attend

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:28 pm

Good thing he came off second best.

Cracked 30k ave on the commute today which was great. Wind assist or not I'll take it.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:04 am

CXCommuter wrote:Cleaned up by a Ninja Hipster this evening just south of Karrinyup Rd- he pulled out in front me and I hit him almost head on, he was going quite slow but I was doing ~25km/h. Went over the tp but managed to land okay (MTBing sometimes has it's benefits). Regardless scraped knee, elbow, sore thigh (corked) and twisted thumb. Bike appears okay, checked front wheel/frame/fork and all in good nick ust had to reseat the front wheel as it had come loose (skewer undone).

His bike is a write off, frame cracked at head tube and front wheel completely buckled. He was also hobbling quite bad but didn't want any help. BTW he also stank- must be allergic to oxidised hydrogen (too many free radicals or something).

should have called the cops (in QLD at the moment, he'd get the death penalty)
hope you pull up ok

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:34 am

A much warmer commute to work this morning. I only had to wear arm warmers and a vest over the standard commuting gear. The roads were wet but I didn't get rained on. Woohoo.

kb

Postby kb » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:10 am

Only one way for me yesterday. BB30 issues and I need to wait for the loctite to cure. Probably just as well as my cough is being very stubborn. Never want to ride more than when I'm baulked :-)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:15 pm

Part of my route had dry roads this morn. :shock:
First time in about a week and a half :x
I hate winter but I'm loving the chromoplastics and neoprene shoe covers. Go the aldi ski gloves too. :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

cyclebee

Postby cyclebee » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:27 am

First puncture in a little while today. No tyre is puncture-proof (had Conti GP4000s)!

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:15 am

What a beauteous morning for a ride. During my run I had the regular cyclist who wears the old school Telstra jersey (you know, the orange and blue version) ride past me up the Boulevard hill towards Walmer St... And then do his morning leak on the side of the path... I mean, okay you seem to have made it a routine to stop and have a pitstop there as, if our paths cross at that point (which they regularly do), you always stop and leak it out into the trees, but why can't you stop just two minutes earlier at the CCF public toilets and do it there? I don't get it. Is it some 'back to nature' thing that peeing into the bushes on the side of the path is a 'must do'?

Holiday traffic seems to be calm and polite. As I started my ride I had a nice cyclist bid me a good morning, which was a great way to begin. And then I was trailing a fellow forumer pretty much up the whole of Albert St and down Collins St, not that he or I knew that until he recognised me at the lights. Lovely to meet you, Nezumi. :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:22 am

After two weeks off work and sunning ourselves in Fiji for a fair proportion of it, it was back on the bike to work this morning. Crikey it was cold, not used to it at all.

On a side note it was interesting that I didn't see very many bicycles in Fiji. It appears that the locals either walk, car or bus everywhere. Not being widely travelled (UK, India) but having seen plenty of lower socio economic areas on the telly I was a little surprised the locals haven't embraced the bicycle.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:23 am

not 100% yet, but on the mend

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:57 am

Abominable northerly for the way home on Friday, really took it out of me.
This morning, however, was calm and pleasant at around 10C, and I treated myself to a cruisy ride to shake off the effects of the weekend.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:00 am

CXCommuter wrote:Cleaned up by a Ninja Hipster this evening just south of Karrinyup Rd- he pulled out in front me and I hit him almost head on, he was going quite slow but I was doing ~25km/h. Went over the tp but managed to land okay (MTBing sometimes has it's benefits). Regardless scraped knee, elbow, sore thigh (corked) and twisted thumb. Bike appears okay, checked front wheel/frame/fork and all in good nick ust had to reseat the front wheel as it had come loose (skewer undone).

Pulled up okay- sore thumb, hip, thigh, knee and elbow but all operational. Bike was checked over and may have a dead front wheel- quite a shudder going on- not concerned at all as the rim is on it's last legs anyway (no braking track). May get a new rim and rebuild (need to think about it).

This mornings ride in was dry, but wild and windy- hold onto the handlebars for the crosswind ride from hell

98octane

Postby 98octane » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:58 pm

cyclebee wrote:First puncture in a little while today. No tyre is puncture-proof (had Conti GP4000s)!
Same thing for me today, same tyres. Luckily puncture was at the very end, so arrived with air still in the tyre.

Fast ride to work, but lots of people on the PSP, particularly groups of cyclists.

Large groups of (slow) recreational cyclists should wait until after peak commuting periods to use main commuting paths. It's inconsiderate of them to effectively block hundreds of metres of PSP with limited overtaking opportunities. I understand that they are shared paths, but others should also be aware that commuters need to get to work!

When I overtook one such group this morning, on a straight flat wide and clear (sight distance and no oncoming traffic) path, I was called a maniac. I'm guessing the name caller expected me to sit behind his group dawdling along at 20-25kph.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:29 pm

98octane wrote:When I overtook one such group this morning, on a straight flat wide and clear (sight distance and no oncoming traffic) path, I was called a maniac. I'm guessing the name caller expected me to sit behind his group dawdling along at 20-25kph.
a maniac would have had headphones on and wouldn't have heard anything ;)

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:32 pm

Lovely day to ride today: no wind in the morning and a nice northerly on the way home. Doesn't quite make up for the persistent SW winds which turn up every afternoon in spring and summer but nice nonetheless.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:03 am

Crazy crosswinds and rain (even some small hail) in Perth last night. Picked a few segments to have a go and and more top 10's but no KOMs. This morning- woke to 30-40km/h headwinds and sore legs from monday's efforts- very slow ride in (took it at recovery pace), no rain though today

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:06 am

Not a bad ride in this morning.. chose the 29er as I expected there would be a fair bit of debris on the PSP after yesterday's weather and was right about that.. A little bit of rain and some pretty strong crosswinds, otherwise entirely pleasant albeit far from speedy :)

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:25 am

Uneventful commutes last night and this morning, apart from the wind blowing me around. Holiday traffic has left all the considerate motorists on the roads this time, it seems. :D

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:05 am

Summernight wrote:Uneventful commutes last night and this morning, apart from the wind blowing me around. Holiday traffic has left all the considerate motorists on the roads this time, it seems. :D
Got it in one. It could be like that all the time if so many parents didn't drive their kids to school

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:07 am

find_bruce wrote:
Summernight wrote:Uneventful commutes last night and this morning, apart from the wind blowing me around. Holiday traffic has left all the considerate motorists on the roads this time, it seems. :D
Got it in one. It could be like that all the time if so many parents didn't drive their kids to school
a solution to the traffic problems our cities have: forced inclusion of a public transport card with the school fees. might make parents say "meh, I've paid for it. you can catch the bus/train/tram"

if only.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:34 pm

jasonc wrote:
find_bruce wrote:
a solution to the traffic problems our cities have: forced inclusion of a public transport card with the school fees. might make parents say "meh, I've paid for it. you can catch the bus/train/tram"

if only.
You're dreaming mate, but I like it

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:53 pm

Perth - Brrrr.

Strengthwise not as windy as yesterday but I swear that it got significantly colder as I neared journey's end.

Ihave been favouring my knee for a few weeks now and walking over the spiral footbridge detour. This morning I gave it a try. I had forgotten how hard it is to push up any sort of incline on a unicycle, and especially on a turn. The knees feel a little stiffer as a result.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle