How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

DavidS

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby DavidS » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:58 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:34 to 35°C for the entire 27.5km ride home. I'm just glad I took one of the shorter routes.
Same again this afternoon, except it went up to 35.8 just on the last (and toughest) hill climb (I live in Ringwood North, which is NOT flat). Then I looked at a thermometer a little while ago, and thought "how did it suddenly get that low?", and realised the temperature had dropped 6° in 30 minutes: hellooo, cool change! Now I just have to get the snorkel ready for tomorrow's commutes.
Haha, yeah, tomorrow looks like fun, at least a relief from the heat.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:16 am

After yesterday morning's encounter with a construction site I altered my return route to suit. Managed to get to a small hole in the fence and was contemplating the difficult climb through when I look back and saw an easier solution! The route was really gravelling and difficult to ride. We need some decent rain to bed in all the trails again.

This morning, after 'dirt month' had concluded I hopped back on the road bike. Was a different experience having not ridden it for a month, much quieter and seemingly faster. Nice morning out too.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

kb

Postby kb » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:15 pm

Commute not as wet as expected. Will be watching the radar assiduously this afternoon:-)
bychosis wrote: This morning, after 'dirt month' had concluded I hopped back on the road bike. Was a different experience having not ridden it for a month, much quieter and seemingly faster. Nice morning out too.
“Seemingly”? There are ways of measuring speed these days ;-)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:37 pm

kb wrote:
bychosis wrote: This morning, after 'dirt month' had concluded I hopped back on the road bike. Was a different experience having not ridden it for a month, much quieter and seemingly faster. Nice morning out too.
“Seemingly”? There are ways of measuring speed these days ;-)
Ha Ha Ha. Yes, considering last month I averaged around 15km/h and today was at 24km/h so it is a bit faster!

Forgot to mention this mornings grim sight: Smashed bike helmet at an intersection, one that always has me very alert for left hooks.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:30 pm

What was going to be a nice ride became a little problematic today.

More heat than planned for and some discomforting change in technique forced on me by circumstance.

=======================================================================

First off I left about 45 minutes later than I intended so that meant that I missed the relative cool later on.

My pedal came apart. that is, the plastic that contains the bearings cracked wide open. I had to thereafter walk up slopes and anywhere else I would have to put extra weight on. Plus I had to ensure that most of the weight of the right foot was on the inside ball.

And then my seat post clamp proved to be insufficiently tight so the seat kept on rotating clockwise in the seat tube. Which meant that I had to be VERY careful on mounting. (I had reassembled the unicycle after I flew back from Melbourne a couple of weeks ago.

I've fixed the seat post clamp (I think) but I'll have to get a new pair of pedals tomorrow.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:08 am

Honourable reasons thread for me today. Sick daughter

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:47 pm

After Friday and Saturday, today seems dry! :lol:

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:39 am

Not the best commute yesterday... I have had a bike fit for my bikepacking bike so thought best to use it as much as possible, so took the wheels off commuter and fitted to bikepacking bike but I had to leave it with fitter over the weekend so with Commuter out of action I grabbed the roadie... A common occurrence here is for cars to pull out of side streets/ car parks/ driveways and try to push into the on coming traffic jam, but they need the traffic jam to move so they just block the cycle lane or street or intersection until that time..so that leaves me with no where to go apart from hitting the brakes which locked the rear which took the final layer of rubber off the tyre and bang went the tube... lucky it was only a 7km walk in the carbon soled road shoes to work although at least it was dry and I stopped in time, last thursday it was wet and I hit the car in the same scenario... I think Auckland has the worst drivers in the world ... Sunday having lunch with partner and we saw a car try and do an illegal u-turn in front of a cyclist who ended up face planting the road... cant let her know how many times i get hit let alone all the very near misses everyday... she only finds out when there is blood or skin removed
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:25 am

After a crap week of Weather, this morning was perfect. Blue skies and not hot

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:04 am

had an odd one this morning.. stopped at the lights, a bus driver two lanes over calls out and asks me what brand my shoes are.

pagey

Postby pagey » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:13 pm

Bloody hot!
cheers
Pagey

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:40 pm

pagey wrote:Bloody hot!
Certainly was.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:15 am

Pretty good, went the long way on the new ride but feeling very flat now. Luckily it's birthday morning tea at work so plenty of carbs/sugar to recover.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:24 am

Pity you didn't have someone with a video to record you jumping the bike up onto the picnic table :wink:
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:13 am

find_bruce wrote:Pity you didn't have someone with a video to record you jumping the bike up onto the picnic table :wink:
As I arrived, so did another bloke. Said G'day, but he rode on to look over the other direction about 15m away. Then when I left after taking the pic he moved back to the table. I was pretty sweaty, so maybe he just needed to stay upwind and the camera couldn't focus.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:32 am

Have been having brake issues recently... well only an issue when I got to use them and find there is no rear brake... had the caliper changed to a spare that i had and then the issue was the brifter.. dont have the money this time of year for a new brifter so tried a fix but 2nd time braking this morning no rear brakes... We also had some overnight rain so roads were wet in patches and going around a roundabout I must have hit an oil patch and hello bitumen.. lucky I was going slow and regrazed all the normal spots that keep getting grazed ... took bike to a different bike shop to see if they had a brake solution, fortunately they had a used brifter so hoping that fixes the brakes... only 1 day to test it before I pack up the bike for holiday in Brisbane. ...Also noticed while it was in the shop that I had tubeless goo all up the back of the bike...I must have punctured and hadnt noticed... lucky I changed the rear wheel last night to the tubeless one
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:06 pm

Had no energy in the legs this morning despite having a good night's sleep.
I've found my rhythm lately balancing my skinny body, mediocre immune system and my "itchy feet" inability to be inactive for too long. 2-3 commutes during the working week, and a Saturday morning group ride seems to be my sweet spot.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:58 pm

Pretty hot yesterday arvo. Like over 35 still at 5pm. Took it pretty easy, but still decided up and over was necessary - because MTB. Slow walking or granny gear grinding for the up and slow controlled coasting under brakes on the descent. All followed by a dip in the pool once home. Might have topped up the pool level a bit with all the sweat though.

This morning was still pretty warm, but overcast and a southerly blowing to cool things down to the Fixie got a trip after gather dust for a couple of months. Tailwind from half way was appreciated.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:44 pm

Radar was clear, storm had passed, didn't bother with seat post fender. Tail/crowss wind all dandy, until I got to the city this morning. Nekminut...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-18/p ... ch/9268560

Soaked city to airport along the river. Went through the emotions re-acquainting with the all-winter riding, self-entertaining humour about it, then back to tunes selection.

Still less than impressed about a pair of work pants/belt disappearing in the office from Wed evening to Thursday AM. Again self-entertaining humour is pending with a David Thorne inspired poster near the exit.

Chopper

Postby Chopper » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:02 am

First commute in about 8 months, the first 20km weren't too bad but the last 6km seemed to drag on. Still, already looking forward to the ride home. Nice southerly on my back on the way in and that's expected to swing to a nor easter for the ride home ... win/win!!
Giant Defy
Cannondale Quick 4

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:26 am

Back to work, after 2 weeks off. :(
As always, I enjoyed the commute. In early December, it increased in distance and climbing, so I now do 31km / 290m to work, and 31km / 450m from work, which should have me riding off those Christmas fruit mince pies shortly. This should see me topping 15,000km in commuting this year, if all goes well.

HenryCharlie

Postby HenryCharlie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:13 pm

On my commute home last night on the Capital City Trail I managed to rip a hole in the sidewall of my rear GP4000s. A BIG thank you to a guy called David he stopped and offered assistance (after about 30 cycles went past without even checking!) He found a plastic wrapper which I put inside the tyre to cover the hole and he gave me a co2 cannister (I had used both of mine up) and that got me home without further issues.
I overtook some people going uphill once.

Chopper

Postby Chopper » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:00 am

Another nice morning in Sydney for my 26km commute. Probably not the best idea to commute after visiting the gym last night and hitting some pretty heavy squats. Kept reminding myself that the ride in was nothing more than an active recovery session - feeling it now though. Almost ran over a pedestrian with her head buried in her phone but other than that fairly uneventful.
Giant Defy
Cannondale Quick 4

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:38 pm

Always brings an ironic smile when I see a speed sign knocked over, except this one was on a bike path which yells at you to slow down if you exceed all of 10 km/h or get passed by a jogger.

Given the size of the pole, I'm guessing its demise was not accidental
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:00 pm

Super duper damp over in the west, loved it :) Consistent light-medium drizzle and light/no wind, probably my favourite kind of summer day.

Not so much with my brake pads though - they fell short of expectations multiple times - once due to a eucalypt blossom getting sucked up into my mudguard and coming to rest right in the calipers, unbeknownst to me - apologies to the fellow at the hairpin turn in W Leedy for my squawking and swearing while I overcooked the bend :oops: Even after finding that issue and flushing it out with my bottle I was still really not happy with the pads (its the first time I've ridden with them in the wet).

Everything got saturated, I was wetter out of the shower than in it and now blasting the aircon to try and get some of me and my stuff dry ... boss caught me wringing my socks out into my potplant! And sheesh, trying to find newspapers for my shoes in the digital age - what are we to do :shock:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle