How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:57 pm

I started commuting this week on my new fixie, which is my old track bike converted. I'm running 77.1" and haven't struck any hills of concern what so ever. I'm sure that will change come time.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:15 pm

The numbers that have been coming back ontothe PSP in the last fortnight were a little down this morning but still respectable.

While drizzly the conditions were quire good. In fact, I had to leave the mitts and beanie off. I had to fix a puncture last night and I'm glad I did.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:05 am

Wind :roll: If it wasn't for the people speaking english you'd swear I was in Perth. :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:41 am

What a morning in Perth! Where was everyone? A touch crisp, river like a mirror, no rain, light fluffy clouds.

My only regret is that I didn't get up a little earlier and ride the whole distance. If it looks like this later maybe I'll do it on the way home instead.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:21 pm

What a morning in Perth! Where was everyone? A touch crisp, river like a mirror, no rain, light fluffy clouds.

I was on the roads / paths this morning!

What a great morning, aided by a light tail wind to blow me to the City! :wink: (Sorry Andrew!)

Cheers,

Gary

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:22 pm

gdl_gdl wrote:What a great morning, aided by a light tail wind to blow me to the City! :wink: (Sorry Andrew!)
I was off the bike this morning. Had to go to the Mount for "tests" (should that read bankruptcy?) and got dressed to ride the bike and then remembered that I hadn't fixed the rear flat. No time to fix it, so took the car instead.

Andrew

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:49 am

'Twas a luvverly night for a spin in, train was OT :shock: plenty of time to take the long way from Footscray to the CBD.
Then a bloody spoke twanged on me front wheel. Say What :x Damn 5mm wobble.
Had to walk back to Footscray and train the rest of the way :(

Gives me an excuse to suss the new LBS in the morning before snooze I s'pose.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:29 am

The forecast today said mainly fine and that prediction was proved wrong after only 5 minutes on my ride.

I got a lashing from Clarkson to Ocean Reef and then intermittent rain at Warwick to Stirling. No real problems other than being cold for the rest of the ride when the rain did clear up.

The bike now looks like it's been through a sand dune! :wink:

Cheers,

Gary

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:52 am

It was near on perfect in Canberra this morning. No wind, damp roads & paths from a little rain yesterday. Cool, but not sub zero cold. A fairly easy 45 minute pedal into the city.
Man, I should have done this years ago. :roll:

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:15 pm

Not the best yesterday - some P Plater decided that sitting on his horn whilst he followed me turning right at a roundabout, then cutting in front of me and slamming his brakes on, was a good way to start his day. Of course, I sailed past him as he sat waiting at the next set of lights and I got onto the cycle path. :roll:

Today on the other hand was great - a few degrees warmer than it has been, which always helps.

One day last week was so windy I had to admit defeat going up Gladesville Bridge and get off and walk. It wasn't that the wind was in my face and slowing me down, it was a side wind which (particularly as buses whooshed past) was driving me into the fence a little too aggressively for comfort.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:21 pm

G'day

Not my commute, but velopilot (Twitter) has posted a bit of a vid showing some of his commute here in Perth. Might bore you or interest you; who knows :)

Andrew

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:19 pm

HTFU ride home tonight! 40km of strong headwind and a nice rain shower half way into the ride!

Normal average speed for the commute home is between 27 - 29 km/h, tonight it was 24.5km/h and I was trying hard! :oops:

Cheers,

Gary

MitchMitchellson

Postby MitchMitchellson » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:21 am

Hi guys,

Been lurking for a while, thought I might finally post.

I'm not sure how many of you have ridden along the bike path Beaconsfield Parade, near St Kilda Melbourne. But I'm getting pretty sick of cyclists ignore the red lights on the bike path. I know these cyclists see the lights, but they flat out ignore them, even when people are preparing to cross.
Anyone experience this with other cyclists being ignorant bastards?

Anyway, Ride today was fun with the obvious note above aside. Riding my roadie is so much more fun than my Wet Weather MTB. The roadie glides along the road. I just need the Melbourne weather to be a little less wet so I can ride my roadie more often.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:02 pm

MitchMitchellson wrote:I just need the Melbourne weather to be a little less wet so I can ride my roadie more often.
This morning was a great morning for it (coming in from north west), though a tad nippy.

leximack

Postby leximack » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:05 pm

sweet commute home today, 29km commute including about 18km in the bush on the mtb.
tackling single track, boulders, rocks, logs and whatever else the bush through at me.
Was a different and fun commute

Don

Tale

Postby Tale » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:01 pm

Crashed this morning, lost some bark and bruised my finger. Tried to keep momentum up an incredibly steep, narrow, curved incline that joins a road to a cycleway, failed to get down gears fast enough and before I knew it I was falling, clipped in :) Got back on the bike right away, Tour de France style, rode to work fast and checked out my injuries! Not too bad, glad nobody saw :)
Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 - Trek 520 1998 - Touring videos - Commute

2WheelsGood

Postby 2WheelsGood » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:15 pm

Tale wrote:Crashed this morning, lost some bark and bruised my finger. Tried to keep momentum up an incredibly steep, narrow, curved incline that joins a road to a cycleway, failed to get down gears fast enough and before I knew it I was falling, clipped in :) Got back on the bike right away, Tour de France style, rode to work fast and checked out my injuries! Not too bad, glad nobody saw :)
Hope your Fuji is OK! On the positive side if you crash a lot, you could get sponsorship with Rabobank like Denis Menchov!
2004 Giant OCR Touring
2009 Fuji Roubaix Pro
2009 Merida Crossway Sport TFS 300V

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:39 am

2WheelsGood wrote:
Tale wrote:Crashed this morning, lost some bark and bruised my finger. Tried to keep momentum up an incredibly steep, narrow, curved incline that joins a road to a cycleway, failed to get down gears fast enough and before I knew it I was falling, clipped in :) Got back on the bike right away, Tour de France style, rode to work fast and checked out my injuries! Not too bad, glad nobody saw :)
Hope your Fuji is OK! On the positive side if you crash a lot, you could get sponsorship with Rabobank like Denis Menchov!
:lol: to 2WheelsGood.

Hope you're OK Tale. Good effort being hard enough to ride off and check injuries later :-).

Where did you crash?
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:09 am

To parody the Clash song "I Fought The Law", this morning was "I Fought The Rain" (But I won!). I headed off at 6.15am and knew there was a NW front coming in with showers just behind me. (Lots of green patches on the weather site.)

I reckon I was about 15 minutes ahead of the front when I set off and it was creeping up on me. After 90 mins of hard riding, I just about got to the CBD when the first drops arrived. Success for a change! :wink:

Cheers,

Gary

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:11 pm

gdl_gdl wrote:To parody the Clash song "I Fought The Law" ...
Errr... wasn't that Buddy Holly & the Crickets?? :lol:

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:04 pm

Errr... wasn't that Buddy Holly & the Crickets??

Apparently it was Sonny Curtis & The Crickets (post Buddy!). I had to google it! I only know the 70's Clash punk version. :wink:

Cheers,

Gary

eucryphia

Postby eucryphia » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:44 pm

Had a week skiing last week, up where there are no lifts.

My legs were fine with the walk in with a heavy pack, shoulders were sore for a couple of days, the legs were fine all week, but the walk out steep downhill with a slightly lighter but still heavy pack resulted in a lot of late-onset muscle soreness in the legs over the weekend.

Got me in the Rectus femoris (quads?), the Vastus medialis (just above the knee) and the top part of the Gastrocnemius (calfs)
(got the names from here)

But a coupe of days of commuting fixed all that. I was even looking forward to it. :D

whitestivo

Postby whitestivo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:55 pm

i'm new to this forum, been watching for some time

today was the first day in brisbane i commuted into town without my warmers (legs and arms) and a second jersey on.

lets hope it stays around

for commuters, a top tip is to wear clear glasses in the winter. i always wore sunglasses, since swapping to safety glasses with clear lenses, my trip home is so much easier

whitestivo

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:17 am

I'm very new to commuting. It hasn't even been a fortnight yet, but I'm seriously enjoying it. I've got a pretty nice bike, and I'm slowly getting bits of gear week by week. This week it will be apparel. I sweat so much that old t shirts don't cut it. Moisture wicking base layer is priority.
This morning's ride was great, sun was shining and traffic wasn't too heavy. I pushed it on the way home last night and there wasn't much left in the tank this morning(happens when you're unfit).
However, I gots me first puncture on the new bike. Rear wheel. Bugger. Now I just gotta work out how to release the brakes so I can get the wheel off & replace the tube.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:14 pm

Road or MTB/Hybrid Fletch?

Roadies have a small "lever" thingy at the cable pinch bolt, flip it up.
MTBs or hybrids with V Brakes, squeeze the arms together and you should be able to unhook the curved metal cable tube from the link that ties it to the brake arm.

Hope this helps.

Shaun

PS Most important thing is to remember to do it back up afterwards, :shock: times otherwise.

S
London Boy 29/12/2011