How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jasonc

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Wed May 29, 2013 7:52 am

damp roads with a bit of drizzle. neck and shoulder are a bit stiff and i can't change down gears using my right thumb :(
anyway, cruised in. didn't crash

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed May 29, 2013 8:06 am

Summernight wrote: This morning it was cold. TailWind, I was wearing short sleeves on the top (although with a thermal underlayer, jersey and vest and long tights and the cycling skirt on the bottom) and I was thinking I may have under-dressed. Wearing only shorts is certainly pushing the cold barrier at bit too far for me when it is 4 degrees but apparently feels like 2. :P
DavidS wrote: I ride in shorts all winter so I have no idea what your talking about. I've decided that it is the sleeveless top unless the thermometer in the shed goes under 7, then the full jacket. It's not really that cold in Melbourne.
:mrgreen: Yeah, I'm soft when it comes to the cold...
At 12C and below it's time for longs and shell, and for every 4C drop I add another layer underneath. Nice and cozy, although I do need to fiddle with the ventilation a bit during the ride as I ride through various pockets of cool to chilly air. A bit it like this morning, 8.5C start = one base layer + shell. Gets cold along the creek, so zip right up to chin...the digital clock/temperature display at Alphington was at 5C.
Gets warm has I hit inner city suburbs, so all vents open...
Pleasant ride back yesterday afternoon via MYT/Banyule/Bundoora ...
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed May 29, 2013 9:00 am

@Jasonc - good to hear your still capable of riding and doing so

The ride yesterday morning in the cold wet rain has brought on the flu for me. It started coming on during the day yesterday and has only got worse. Ride in this morning was sluggish, body just didnt have it in it to do anything other than sluggish.

After a couple of event free rides this morning was a wakeup. First incident was a medium sized truck with his backhoe in the back. I was heading straight, he was on a side street on the left wanting to turn right. He looks left and immediately starts turning across my front. There was a distance of 5-10 metres between us so I was able to brake and go behind him, but not before I gave him an absolute gobful. The dumb look I got back said it all as to his intelligence levels.

The second incident was going down a major road, no shoulder markings at all, so I am staying to the left but not in the gutter. The lane is certainly big enough for vehicles and trucks to get by without scraping me and most do give me space on this section of road. Not one semi this morning tho, I think he belonged to Cement Australia. He skimmed me, to the point that if I had lifted my right elbow outwards whilst keeping my hands on the bars, it would have most likely touched the truck or trailer. I couldnt believe it and all I could do was shake my head and hope he saw me doing that.

Otherwise it was a good ride, weather was so much nicer than yesterday.

I was stupid this morning too, couldnt believe I had done this once I thought about it. As I said before, I was sluggish in my ride this morning so was taking it relatively easy. Am about 8 k's from the office when I get over taken by a female. Being overtaken is not an issue for me. I sped up a little as a result of being overtaken and sat behind this woman for a little bit. At this point I will be sexist and say that ..wow did she have a great butt and body. I was really enjoying the view. And no I dont have any pictures unfortunately. Here is my act of stupidity - I then overtook her. I am still trying to come to an understanding of why I didnt just stay behind her and enjoy the view.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed May 29, 2013 10:09 am

Bit warmer this morning, no base layer or shoe covers. Decided I'd put in a bit of effort and pushed all the way to work. Came up with 4s off PB for commuting to work. Petty happy considering the PB had a good tailwind and this morning it was calm. Not sure if it was the bike or the legs that made the difference, I'm assuming a good dose of bike with a sprinkle of legs.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Wed May 29, 2013 11:37 am

I think he belonged to Cement Australia. He skimmed me, to the point that if I had lifted my right elbow outwards whilst keeping my hands on the bars, it would have most likely touched the truck or trailer. I couldnt believe it and all I could do was shake my head and hope he saw me doing that.
If it was a Cement Australia Semi, the have a pretty strong safety culture. It would be worth dropping a note to the company informing them of this incident - they'd be more than likely to follow up with some sort of safety notice, if not actually chatting the driver if they could identify him.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed May 29, 2013 11:47 am

My commute wasn't that great yesterday. It was cold in the house and looked cold outside, so I donned my winter gear and sweated it out all the way to work - warmer than I thought. It was also warm on the way home so I had hot rides both ways #firstworldproblems

Back to shorts today so a nice brisk ride in... not too cold at all! 8)
<removed by request>

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed May 29, 2013 11:53 am

Nice commute in from Redcliffe today for me. :)

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed May 29, 2013 12:19 pm

oxonabike wrote:
I think he belonged to Cement Australia. He skimmed me, to the point that if I had lifted my right elbow outwards whilst keeping my hands on the bars, it would have most likely touched the truck or trailer. I couldnt believe it and all I could do was shake my head and hope he saw me doing that.
If it was a Cement Australia Semi, the have a pretty strong safety culture. It would be worth dropping a note to the company informing them of this incident - they'd be more than likely to follow up with some sort of safety notice, if not actually chatting the driver if they could identify him.
I didnt get licence plates or such so needle in a haystack if I report it. I am somewhat used to it, but doesnt excuse it. And to the credit of Cement Australia, most times their drivers do give a wide berth

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed May 29, 2013 1:41 pm

jasonc wrote:damp roads with a bit of drizzle. neck and shoulder are a bit stiff and i can't change down gears using my right thumb :(
Good on ya...back on the horse that threw you!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed May 29, 2013 2:03 pm

TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote:damp roads with a bit of drizzle. neck and shoulder are a bit stiff and i can't change down gears using my right thumb :(
Good on ya...back on the horse that threw you!
the list of phone calls in the last 24 hours:
dad - doesn't want me to call him anymore. he panics every time i do
mum - called me again today to see how I was. told her I rode. she flipped. stated "this is not the right way to get a new bike"
wife - knows it's like talking to a brick wall
father-in-law - freaked out last night when he heard about the bike vs 2 bikes crash in toowong last night (i was already home - anyone know the details?)
brother - also rides. just asked "what did you do this time? you ok? bike ok?
I'll keep riding. I keep telling them I don't want to fall off and it's definitely not something I do on purpose

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed May 29, 2013 2:45 pm

If you keep falling off on purpose, Jasonc, then you would need to become a stuntman as that is clearly your calling. :|

Must be spoke breaking week at the BNA club, DavidS - I broke a front wheel spoke on the way into work today. It snapped when I hopped out of the saddle to accelerate after sauntering up to a red light trying not to have to unclip. You could hear me for miles as I kept riding and it kept hitting the mudguard and fork and making a thunk every revolution. If you heard a thunking bike in the Melbourne CBD near Collins St around 8:45AM this morning - it was me. :P
Only slightly wobbly looking too so I thought "it'll be right and I'll limp it to work". Had a 9AM meeting so didn't want to be late.

The wheel is currently in the bike store getting a new spoke and being trued. Same day service, FTW! So hopefully I can ride it home (although I now have a movie night so I'll be riding at like 10PM). Really should get this bike serviced... Still waiting on the replacement cassette on backorder from Wiggle. Apparently should come mid June so not too far away now.

EDIT: Oh, and I grabbed the wrong clothing this morning - thought I was grabbing the suit pants. Ended up grabbing the suit skirt (from the same set as the pants so at least I got that part right). Got to work and pulled out the 'pants' to change into - realised I'd brought the skirt. I hadn't primed the pins for a day in the air so am walking around hoping people don't look at my legs as they haven't been looked after for over a week. :oops:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed May 29, 2013 9:06 pm

Summernight wrote:If you keep falling off on purpose, Jasonc, then you would need to become a stuntman as that is clearly your calling. :|
Well I walk away. Doesn't that count for something?

Made it home. honourable excuses thread for me tomorrow. daughter is sick AGAIN.

Marto

Postby Marto » Wed May 29, 2013 11:13 pm

jasonc wrote: the list of phone calls in the last 24 hours:
dad - doesn't want me to call him anymore. he panics every time i do
mum - called me again today to see how I was. told her I rode. she flipped. stated "this is not the right way to get a new bike"
wife - knows it's like talking to a brick wall
father-in-law - freaked out last night when he heard about the bike vs 2 bikes crash in toowong last night (i was already home - anyone know the details?)
brother - also rides. just asked "what did you do this time? you ok? bike ok?
I'll keep riding. I keep telling them I don't want to fall off and it's definitely not something I do on purpose
It would be more peaceful riding Oxley Road than taking/making those phone calls.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed May 29, 2013 11:29 pm

Tailwind, I would cook if I dressed like you! I'm sure you do better than me in summer though.

Summernight, a front spoke? Gee I hardly ever do a front spoke. When you break as many as I do you have to learn to fix it yourself. It costs a fair bit to get a spoke replaced, and it's all labour. I don't think this is unfair but if you do it all the time it adds up too quickly, it costs me a couple of dollars to replace a spoke. But when you think of the time it takes to get everything off the wheel, replace spoke, true wheel and then put it all back together, it is a fair bit of time and expertise.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu May 30, 2013 6:12 am

Marto wrote:It would be more peaceful riding Oxley Road than taking/making those phone calls.
only have to do the first. the rest come loud and clear when I hit the green button on the phone...
oxley road is good fun. so is bowen bridge road, sandgate road, coro drive
have ridden all of them. will happily ride them all again

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Thu May 30, 2013 8:01 am

Pretty good riding the last few days. I try to be a pretty considerate rider so last night was a surprise when I got abused by a driver who wanted to pass. The thing was I was in very slow moving traffic and was easily keeping up with the car in front. So he wanted to pass me in order to be stuck behind the car in front.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu May 30, 2013 8:07 am

DavidS wrote:Tailwind, I would cook if I dressed like you! I'm sure you do better than me in summer though.
I've been heard to utter "Give me a cold and miserable winter afternoon anyday" on those 43C+ days we had last summer :mrgreen:

Rather uneventful multi-hop commute via Eaglemont yesterday afternoon.

Dressed for rain this morning, but only got damp roads and paths. Amused myself by "racing" public transport into the CBD. First up was the Hurstbridge line train from Alphington station at 5:05am through to Clifton Hill. Just as it went underneath the Heidelberg Rd bridge at Clifton Hill, I passed overhead 8). Next up was the tram from Clifton Hill running along Queens Parade and Smith Street - beat it to Victoria Parade. All while sticking to the road rules, of course :). Little challenges like this keep the commutes interesting!

VRE

Postby VRE » Thu May 30, 2013 8:45 am

After the prolonged March heat we got, I'm still enjoying the colder weather, and was disappointed this morning that it was so warm (about 14°C). We could do with more rain, too.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Thu May 30, 2013 8:46 am

TailWind wrote:All while sticking to the road rules, of course :)
Kudos to you TailWind.

Great morning commute here at Lane Cove. I earned a KoM, thou only 2 people have ridden that segment, lol!

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu May 30, 2013 9:20 am

Another slow commute this morning. This cold is taking its toll on the body, got a bad cough now too. Thick fog but all up great weather.

Yesterday I had two issues with vehicles/trucks. This morning was the opposite. I had a medium sized truck slow down and signal me to move in front as my road was quickly dissappearing, believe the truck was from Maitlaind Maxi Hire Trucks or somethign like that. He could have easily cut me off to get his 30 seconds in front but he didnt, big wave to him. I then had two incidents involved a good shoulder but road work signs and a parked car and semis. First incident I signaled that I was moving right, just had no shoulder left and as a result I could hear a semi behind me gearing down/braking in order to not skim me. Gave him a wave and a big thumbs up. The second incident was a parked car in the shoulder, I had a little bit of shoulder left to work with, but again I heard a truck gearing down/braking to allow me to get past. A wave and a thumbs up again, this truck was a Startrack express vehicle..number was p125 I believe...last two numbers were 25 at least. Both semis could have flown past, as a few do, but both took my safety into consideration and it was much appreciated by myself.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu May 30, 2013 9:59 am

Nice to hear good motorist stories for once, Gretaboy. :)

And I also like beating the public transport, TailWind, although for me it is more like - passed one tram, passed the tram in front of that tram, and another and another (CBD peak hour commutes - the trams are really slowed down by all the city stops).

DavidS - all up cost of the replacement of the spoke and true of the whole wheel was $35 with same day service so I didn't think it was that expensive although you are correct in that if I kept snapping them regularly it would start adding up. I'm 99% sure the reason it broke is because I have been negligent in my servicing of the bicycle and it has been running every work day since January 2012. :oops: But before you all lecture me, I am going to book the bike in for that much needed service as soon as I get the replacement cassette delivered.

The spoke was replaced and front wheel was trued and returned to me for my ride home last night so I was very happy. Although checking the rear wheel after getting the front wheel fixed there is a spoke loose on that too. Can I DIY tighten that? If so, can I do it without any specific bicycle tools?

When I was installing the front wheel back on the bike the wheel slipped and snapped the epoxied mudguard bits off so the mudguard has broken again in the same spot it broke when the front brake came off. I'll try and glue it together again on the weekend although I do have another spare mudguard now so it isn't as much of an issue.

And I was at a movie last night before heading home so left the office (had to return to pick up the bike to ride home) at around 9:15PM. Got home and 10 minutes later the skies opened. Very happy about that as I would have been completely unprepared for the rain. But I was a bit overdressed for the ride home considering it was quite a warm night for autumn. :)

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Thu May 30, 2013 10:11 am

Bit hairy this morning. Roadworks on my route has seen a realignment of the road lines, and the old markings ground off the road surface. However, in wet low light conditions the old markings seem to be more visible to motorists than the new painted lines. The also realigned bike lane crosses these markings and I got a bit of a scare when I was shaved by a large coach enroaching into my bike lane. I bailed and headed over to the safety barriers (it is wide here as a new slip lane is being built) and watch as a progression of cars happily sailed along the old lane. All on video so I have emailed the highway upgrade project team with a suggestion to place some traffic cones along the new alignment until the work is finished.

Also had a semi fully blocking the dedicated cycleway in town, no detour signs out, apparently parked there to unload some trees. And just a bit further along, nearly got cleaned up by a someone in a hurry to exit a car park. These will go on the commute highlight reel.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu May 30, 2013 10:24 am

Did a longer commute this morning. Unfortunately all the roads were soaked. So, despite there being no rain I got smashed. Still nice enough though.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu May 30, 2013 10:33 am

Summernight wrote: The spoke was replaced and front wheel was trued and returned to me for my ride home last night so I was very happy. Although checking the rear wheel after getting the front wheel fixed there is a spoke loose on that too. Can I DIY tighten that? If so, can I do it without any specific bicycle tools?
Yes and yes (not recommended), but be careful if not using the proper spoke key or the nipple will be rounded and too hard to adjust in the future. If you have a good bike multi tool it may have a spoke key on it you are not aware of. It is also possible the whole wheel needs truing.

Commute this morning started out fine. Decided to push for a good time again, unfortunately once I got into it the lungs weren't willing so only got a reasonable time. I did manage to be a dumb cyclist too, came out of a T where I 'never' see traffic and pulled in front of a car, fortunately he was only going slow so I could get out of the way. Followed him down to the roundabout overtook him (two lanes) then went into the next roundabout too hot and had to go wide, fortunately no traffic, and enough space to run out without drama. That'll learn me I guess.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Thu May 30, 2013 10:44 am

Slowly getting back into the saddle after a damnable persistent sinus/ chest virus which is still lingering enough to keep the average speed down. Still it was beautifully mild in Hobart this morning and I was enjoying the trip until half way through the commute, just as I arrived at the longest climb I had a back spasm! Given I was at the midpoint of the ride I figured I'd just have to grind up the hill as best I could. Seemed to loosen up slightly, and the shower at work helped. I don't expect the office chair will be doing it much good for the rest of the day though!
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket