How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Lukeyboy

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon May 20, 2013 10:40 am

On Saturday it got to 8 degrees (according to my Garmin) going along the Kedron Brook cycleway and that was around 7am. I only rode from Toombul to the Grange exit and it dropped from 11 degrees to 8 and was still dropping just before I exited the cycleway. If I had kept on riding no doubt it would have got lower. Needed something thicker than the UV arm sleeves and fingerless gloves :P :P

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon May 20, 2013 11:56 am

The usual morning commute today: Car reversed out of driveway and then proceeded to drive 20-30ms on the wrong side of the road. He was starting to make me think he was just going to drive into me coming in the opposite direction but he gave me a little bit of space as he sauntered his car slowly to the correct side of the road. Such a pity I hadn't turned on the GoPro yet as that would have been nice footage. :)

Another 'honk because you're taking the lane' this morning by a black BMW. It was quite a polite honk but your lack of knowledge of the road rules, Mr Car Driver, was duly noted.

And 4WD driving beside me indicated late to turn into an empty car space at the top of Collins St in the CBD. As soon as I see the indicator go on nowadays I'm on my brakes going around the back of the car to pass on the right. No way am I being pincered between a parked car and a car trying to park.

I thought it might be a bit rainy this morning but only got spat on a little bit on the morning run. Looking out the office window at the moment though shows some pretty ominous rainclouds...

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon May 20, 2013 2:24 pm

I just can't catch a break at the moment. After my broken spoke and two tyre punctures on Friday, coming to work today I somehow picked up a piece of nylon cord about 20cm long that instantly wrapped itself through my chain and got tangled up in the rear derailleur jockey wheels!
Took me a good 5 minutes to get it out, but at least my RD wasn't torn off!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Mon May 20, 2013 2:29 pm

queequeg wrote: picked up a piece of nylon cord about 20cm long that instantly wrapped itself through my chain and got tangled up in the rear derailleur jockey wheels!
Took me a good 5 minutes to get it out, but at least my RD wasn't torn off!
I'd call that lucky.
I wussed out this morning. 4.2° on the outdoor thermometer. Took the train. Riding home though....

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Mon May 20, 2013 2:55 pm

I'm home with 2 sick children so all I've done is ride the youngest who isn't sick up to school. She fell off her bike by wobbling off the footpath where there was a drop to the nature strip, but no major harm done. I'm like a kid in a candy store myself though, as my Altura Night Vision jacket arrived in the mail. I am sitting here typing in it and will wear it to ride up to school shortly and ride the youngest home again.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon May 20, 2013 5:51 pm

Summernight wrote:
gretaboy wrote:
Summernight wrote:
I got honked by a truck driver saying 'move into the gutter so I can pass you to get stuck in traffic further up' on the way in this morning. I saw him coming up behind me and no way was I letting him close shave me so I moved into the right hand wheel track to make sure he couldn't pass without moving into the right hand lane. It was the right move for my safety IMO as I think he overtook the other cyclist who was hugging the left side (that I had just overtaken) without changing lanes.
You did the right thing in my opinion too....
I always feel like such a hog doing it especially when almost everyone else cycle-commuting on that section of road pretty much hug the left and ride close to the parked car doors. I have to keep reminding myself that it is for my own safety and that I don't have to follow the rest of the herd over the cliff...
Well you have a good precedent in the QLD truck driver innocent case:
http://blogs.crikey.com.au/theurbanist/ ... motorists/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About that article, this morning I approached two primary kids on kick-board scooters taking both lanes heading in same direction as me. I thought "now if I were the QLD truck driver, I'd pass between them in the belief that I gave them enough room."

This rib cage stabbing chest pain at start of month that lasted ~5 days has flared up again, my self diagnosis at start of month was
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costochondritis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No good explanation this time (previous was purposeful deep breathing on hill climbs night before). This time only bad posture on cold tiles failing the 3rd repeat of 10second task to assemble rear wheel hub shifter pulley in wee hours of cold morning and only half as much sleep as a result. Possible but doesn't seem to add up. This is comical insult to injury:
"Costochondritis tends to occur in patients who are aged between 20 and 40, typically female."

PS: the late night bike mechanics was to fit/try new tyres, a 37c Schwalbe Marathon Plus for up front since its black goodness felt so sticky and rubbery nice in the hand it wanted to be rubbed up in the dirty rain. The Kenda Tendril 32c on front moved to the back replacing the kermit green 24c Halo TwinRail.
Success on comfy ride and still like touching the Schwalbes. I have a couple 20x2.5" on another wheelset and they are like koala and panda bear cuteness for tyres to cuddle.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon May 20, 2013 11:20 pm

Tailwind, no wonder you ride so much and call yourself tailwind. You ride South in the morning and North in the evening. I go the other way and am still trying to remember what a tailwind is like ;)

JasonC, you own fingered gloves and long pants in Brisbane?

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue May 21, 2013 7:41 am

Brilliant morning to be out today, pity it was just a commute. Cruised, enjoyed the scenery on my 17min of commute. If i didn't need to leave early-ish this arvo I would have extended it.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue May 21, 2013 8:02 am

DavidS wrote:Tailwind, no wonder you ride so much and call yourself tailwind.
More like wishful thinking :mrgreen:. There are those happy days where the wind turns during the course of the day and I have a tailwind both ways, but that's fairly seldom...

No rain yesterday afternoon for the ride back, but grey, damp and cool. One of the positives of riding in inclement conditions, so I told myself, is that there aren't that many peds about on the paths. I think I need to re-examine that theory. That sort of weather seems to bring out a different type of ped, die-hard joggers and dog-walkers, all probably with the same notion that they would be alone on the paths, therefore less inclined to keep left, keep mutts under control, etc.

Cold this morning, but clear. The Darebin Creek Trail is being ripped up again between Northland and Plenty Valley Rd, next to the sports field, through which one has to detour to get around the affected section. Odd that they didn't to this in one go, as this section lies between the two rebuilt over the last few weeks.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue May 21, 2013 8:26 am

DavidS wrote:JasonC, you own fingered gloves and long pants in Brisbane?
garmin said 8 degrees this morning. it gets down to zero at my place in the middle of winter

couldn't feel my toes by the time I got to work this morning. time to pull out the overshoes.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue May 21, 2013 9:23 am

Clicked over 7000 pure commute k's on the ride home yesterday...been something like 11 full days (full 24 hours) of riding...amazing when I think about it, I have spent a full 11 days of my life so far this year just getting to and from work...but on the upside...I hit a weight this morning on the scales that I havent seen since 1992

Positively steamer of a morning...compared to yesterday anyways. Had the same gear on but had to take the rain jacket off after about 17 k's as I was starting to sweat a little. Was a joyful mornings ride, didnt push myself too hard and had no issues at all with other road users.

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Tue May 21, 2013 9:45 am

jasonc wrote:garmin said 8 degrees this morning. it gets down to zero at my place in the middle of winter

couldn't feel my toes by the time I got to work this morning. time to pull out the overshoes.
Garmin said 7deg along the river at Tennyson this morning, dunno how accurate they are though. Felt cold regardless!

First time I've put the leg warmers on this season. :shock:
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

Marto

Postby Marto » Tue May 21, 2013 9:47 am

jasonc wrote:
DavidS wrote:JasonC, you own fingered gloves and long pants in Brisbane?
garmin said 8 degrees this morning. it gets down to zero at my place in the middle of winter

10 degrees at the Chelmer river crossing. I had the thick (explorer) socks on this morning. Overshoes when it gets colder. My commute starts with a gradual 800 m long descent, so it's not the best start to warm up.

Nice ride in. The Lambert Road sewerage upgrade is less of a moonscape these days.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue May 21, 2013 9:56 am

Marto wrote:The Lambert Road sewerage upgrade is less of a moonscape these days.
A mate had a fall there on the weekend. please be careful. those metal sheets are slippery.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Tue May 21, 2013 10:05 am

First commute in a while. New handlebars and new cables on the old bike. Feels like riding a completely new bike. As I've been battling man-flu for the past week or so I rode in with a scarf for the first time ever. I think I'll do it again. Not just for the health benefits, but for adding a little north-of-the-river cyclic chic to my otherwise utilitarian cycling garb.

I also wonder if there is a particular word for the feeling you get when you are half way to work on your morning bike commute and you realise that you have left your toolkit, spare tube and puncture kit at home?
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue May 21, 2013 10:11 am

__PG__ wrote:I also wonder if there is a particular word for the feeling you get when you are half way to work on your morning bike commute and you realise that you have left your toolkit, spare tube and puncture kit at home?
There's a thread for it - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22881" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Tue May 21, 2013 10:37 am

LOL thanks. Also rode with gloves for the first time this year, and have discovered that my bell doesn't really work that well when I've got gloves on.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue May 21, 2013 12:03 pm

Scarves on a bicycle are so hot right now. I've taken to wearing a scarf when horse-riding and it is great (although the wearing of the scarf has more to do with me not being able to put sunscreen on my neck due to an allergic reaction that seems to keep flaring up if I use it there). Although I wear the scarf and a sleeveless vest and it is pretty darn cold so everyone out at the place thinks I'm crazy. Maybe that's why I still can't shake the last vestiges of this cold. :roll:

I felt fantastic riding home from work yesterday. Everything was working. The engine was purring (which was lacking last week). Not even the right hookers, the cars pulling out of parks in the CBD without looking or the left hookers could dampen my mood. I felt like I was flying!

It may have something to do with receiving my package from Wiggle just before clock off time. I love presents!!! It came in a huge box (due to the new Crud Roadracer mudguards I bought just in case I have another catastrophic failure of my now epoxied set that are currently still hanging in there after a full year of commutes). New chains (red and silver!), bar tape (the Cinelli black with rainbow through the perforated holes!! It looks good!), other (cheaper) bar tapes in Wine red and black for a possible Harlequin taping (which probably won't happen now that I've seen the black/rainbow tape) and new brake pads.

And I felt even more accomplished after replacing my own brake pads (first timer here). Multi-tool for the win! I almost lost one of the brake screws under the bookshelf (which would have necessitated pulling all the books off the shelf and moving the shelf as the clearance underneath isn't enough to put a hand under) but was lucky that it stopped just on the edge of reach. I managed to adjust the tension on the back brake cable to allow the brake to open further so the pads didn't rub. I felt so Ms Handy-woman. :P

This morning I just did not want to get out of bed, even after having a not-so-good sleep. But I dragged myself out and went for a swim and I'm glad I did so.
I was thinking I may have under-dressed by not wearing full sleeves on the vest on the ride to work as when I first started off it was raining and there was an icily cold wind. But the rain stopped and the sun came out so all was okay after a few minutes.

Although I get to work... AND ALL THE BIKE RACKS ARE IN USE!! (admittedly there are only 9 in that area for a building of over 20 floors). I had to grab my lock and go elsewhere... Why are the fairweathers riding today??? It is winter and they should all be PTing.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue May 21, 2013 12:41 pm

Nice work on the handy person tasks Summer. Keep it up, before long you'll be building a bike from a box of bits. YouTube is your friend here.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue May 21, 2013 3:37 pm

So I left home at 5am this morning to ride in for a regular group ride. I rode along kelvin grove road, which is a major route from my side of town.

Anyway, at 5am its pretty deserted, and three lanes wide alas with no shoulder. Yet... Every tradie wants to pass me in the far left lane, some fairly closely. When I'm in a car they all glue themselves to the right and won't go near the bumpy left lane no matter what their speed.

What's with that?

At least the chilly weather made for plenty of bike parking in the cage. :o

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue May 21, 2013 4:25 pm

The most polite reason I could think of is object fixation?

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Tue May 21, 2013 7:51 pm

That's a very alarming photo!
I had a nice ride in but was way too hot with my new jacket over a fleece. I had to stop and take a layer off. Then coming home I was still too hot with just a thin merino top under the jacket. Well at least I know it will keep me warm in the middle of winter. It smells of fish though, very odd. It must have made its way to Australia with a shipment of tuna I think. The hood, which I bought separately, arrived today and doesn't do up around my neck without choking me if leaning forward to ride :(

I'm impressed with your handiness Summernight, but I think we need photos of the colourful tape in action.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue May 21, 2013 8:06 pm

eldavo wrote:The most polite reason I could think of is object fixation?

I've seen the video of that accident, which is probably in the US. Some pore riding on part of the motorcyclist.

Despite the cold, its beautiful weather for commuting in Sydney this week. Your work colleagues might think you are mad, but madness would be not commuting at the moment
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue May 21, 2013 8:14 pm

Time to start boasting about commuting in a velomobile with my racing hood on ....

Ventilation controlled by adjusting the visor up and down. No more than shorts and t shirt for me folks :mrgreen:

LM324

Postby LM324 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:10 pm

Second commute today. I slept in so left the house 20 minutes later than last time and there were so many more cars and cyclists on the road. Heaps of cyclists were on the harbour bridge, the steps going up onto the bridge were full when I got there (i.e. line of cyclists from bottom to top of stairs). I don't know if this many cyclists is normal on a day like today but I assume that it isn't because some guy was taking a photo of it with his phone before going up.

Downside to todays commute was that I LOST ONE GLOVE :cry: I must have dropped it somewhere when putting my stuff in my locker. :| So I will be riding gloveless now as I can't afford to buy another pair.