How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

rdp_au

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby rdp_au » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:31 am

Warm and almost sunny in Sydney this morning. Lots of water about though, and plenty windblown debris after a few days of torrential rain. There was nearly half a metre of water gushing over the weir at Brown’s Waterhole. Being a cautious soul, and not fancying an impromptu trip down the creek, it was shoes and socks off for me, and porter the bike across. At least the water was warm :D

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:55 am

Nice morning for my alternate mixed mode commute from Box Hill Station to Abbotsford via Whitehorse and Elgar Rds then onto the Koonung and MYT, over the pipe bridge, past Dights Falls to Johnston St. Lots more walkers/exercisers out this morning. I didn't think there were many more bikes on that route than normal

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:57 pm

Brissies afternoon storms yesterday and clear overnight sky's meant a nice cool to work this morning. Good for having a go on some STRAVA segments.

hudnut

Postby hudnut » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:41 pm

Sore shoulders today.

Nothing to do with bike fit. Everything to do with getting hailed on yesterday.
At least I had a helmet.

Now to wait for the bruises to go away.
I don't think rule 9 quite covers it.

And I still rode in this morning, and looking forward to this afternoon. :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:33 pm

Hudnut, were it not for the whimpering today, there would be no question that you had more than complied with rule 9 & that you have no need to meditate on rule 5. :wink: :D
Anything you can do, I can do slower

hudnut

Postby hudnut » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:36 pm

Truthfully, I was leaning way over the top tube not to be aero, but to protect the frame.
"Notthebike, Notthebike, Notthebike..." :)

Felt a bit below par on the commute home.
Got 3 PRs, but I'd only ridden that way once before and it wasn't much of an ride, so they don't count.
Couldn't understand why everything felt like such an effort.
Put the bike back on the rack. Spied the dragging rear caliper.
Ahhhhh...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:47 pm

Was about to ask if it was a full moon, but apparently that was yesterday.

A few too many morons on my way home. A young cyclist of the female persuasion was in considerable distress at the roundabout at the corner of Darling Drive and Pier St - I didn't see the incident but everything about the scene suggested that she was cleaned up by a taxi entering the roundabout. Another cyclist was helping her & a pedestrian was calling an ambulance. Looked like she had lost a couple of teeth.

Then a near miss for me as a moron driver decides to exit the petrol station without even looking straight ahead, let alone giving way to the vehicle on the road related area that the driver was crossing to enter the road. Road rule 74.

On the plus side I got a free bell from the city of sydney

rabbit stew

Postby rabbit stew » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:05 pm

I got to Gilston yesterday afternoon fed the horse and left straight away because it started to thunder, black clouds rolling in, I had the storm rolling in behind me all the way home. I smashed my best time on my commute home by 1min 49 sec. Walked inside, 3 minutes later the storm hit. My legs felt it last night and today.
I,m not quiet. I just dont plan murders out aloud.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:01 am

Back on the bike today. Looks like it is going to be a clear and warm day. The morning however started off with thick fog which always has me a little worried due to reduced visibility and very narrow to non-existent shoulders to ride in. Made it to work safely however.

Over the weekend I had put a new BB, chain and cassette on the commuter and this was my first ride with it. The difference was fantastic...so smooth and easy to move the bike along.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:04 am

gretaboy wrote:Over the weekend I had put a new BB, chain and cassette on the commuter and this was my first ride with it. The difference was fantastic...so smooth and easy to move the bike along.
did you grease the jockey wheels while you were at it?

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:16 am

jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:Over the weekend I had put a new BB, chain and cassette on the commuter and this was my first ride with it. The difference was fantastic...so smooth and easy to move the bike along.
did you grease the jockey wheels while you were at it?

didnt grease them as such...they do get a good clean but I dont grease them for the simple fact that they collect so much crap from the chain...just make sure they get a decent dose of the chain oil

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:32 am

A change hit Melbourne yesterday afternoon, presenting a cool southerly for the ride back via MYT, Banyule Trail, Greensborough etc. Was a little sluggish at the start along the Yarra, but picked up the pace along Yarra Boulevard.
The southerly made me work a little harder this morning, but good conditions otherwise. Came across a cyclist going in the opposite direction on the Darebin Creek Trail at 4:30am, a rare encounter indeed. At least he had some lighting, even though it consisted of rather underpowered blinkies - enough to spot him, but barely enough to cast a light on the path.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:05 am

My commute got off to a great start today....within 500m of leaving home I turn left onto a major highway. Around this point there is an angry magpie which has struck my helmet a couple of times on the commute home...but I have been lucky in the mornings with him not attacking, that is until this morning. I turned left, always thinking is the magpie around when bang goes the right side of my helmet. The mungrel of a bird strikes. Up out of the saddle I go and try and put some speed on to get out of his range, at the same time giving quick glances behind..which does prevent him from striking again.

Once I settle back down and get into the groove of commuting I start to think...is that a headwind or is it me. Given the feel of the wind on my front and the wind noise in my ears, I am certain it is a headwind and not me. Another rider who I occasionally come across catches up to me midway through my commute and I asked him the same...he came back with nope it is a decent headwind. Slugged it out the rest of the way to work.

Sun was shining, it was relatively warm and I got to work in one piece...so life is good :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:21 am

perfect morning in brissy

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:24 am

My commute yesterday afternoon didn't last past an appointment I had with Mrs TW in Fitzroy North. She insisted I should ride in the car with her - couldn't refuse, so the bike went into the back, and I went into the passenger seat. Aaaahh the pain...(the traffic, not Mrs TW :mrgreen: ). Did get another ride in on the cargo bike when I got home though.
Damp roads this morning and light drizzle most of the way into the CBD. Saw a couple of guys on bikes at the Tennis Courts by the Darebin Creek Trail just off Plenty Valley Rd - another odd 4:30am sighting, two days in a row.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:50 pm

Had a great ride out of Perth last night, felt pretty good, nice tailwind assisting in keeping over the 30kmh average for 38kms. Couple of noteworthy incidents, firstly at the end of the Mitchell freeway path by currambine station. As I came down the hill to turn left onto Burns Beach road I notice a white tradie van parked partially on the shared path, by the traffic lights. No worries with that at first, it's a wide path and they'd obviously had to pull off the road due to some incident. As I came round to the back of the van I notice another car on front, plus 2 guys talking (off the path), but the van, which was taking up 1 lane of the path, had left the passenger door wide open leaving less that a bike width to the edge of the path. I had 2 choices, try to stop and probably ride into the door of the unoccupied vehicle, or try to negotiate the obstacle. I managed the latter by reaching round and shutting the door on my way past. It did slam a bit, but nothing too violent, but the 2 guys were less than impressed and yelled obscenities after me. I ignored them, but was surprised they didn't come after me. Morons.
Then as I got to the Bunnings roundabout on Marmion av at Clarkson I was in the shoulder, passing the cars queuing on my right. I intend to turn left and as the shoulder runs out I make an effort to avoid being up the inside of anyone and getting squeezed, so I stay just behind a brand new tray back Ute who starts indicating left. He then sees me behind him, move over to give me space, gestures me past (i decline and let him go) and then proceeds to turn left leaving enough space for a bike on his inside even though I was hanging back. I gave him a couple of thumbs up and a cheery thanks for such courteous behaviour. Well done sir.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:15 am

Was a shortened commute this morning as I had to drop a car in for a service. Had it not been for the service I would not have ridden in at all...the lightning strikes this morning were quite frequent and spectacular and they certainly had me worried but luckily for me they seemed to be running parallel to me. As murphys law always has things, I had my rain jacket on but didnt cop a bit of rain unless you count the internal rain as a result of the jacket itself.

Got to hope the weather conditions improve for this afternoon as currently it is black outside with lightning and thunder.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:20 am

legs felt awesome this morning. bike was running well. perfect weather. what more could I want?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:31 am

jasonc wrote:legs felt awesome this morning. bike was running well. perfect weather. what more could I want?
World peace, a solution to climate change, a cure for moron motorists :D

Sadly I did not play nicely today. I used intemperate language, made rude gestures & refused to share the road. A car driver gave me a polite tootle, no doubt intending to say "excuse me Mr cyclist, I know you are in the right hand turning lane, but I am on the wrong side of the road and I really must get in front of you right now, so please share the road by getting out of my way & you can have it when I am finished with it. Thank you and have a nice day" :roll:

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:47 am

Rode back via MYT etc yesterday afternoon, and further north the wind turned against me. Felt somewhat broken when I got home.
Headwind into the CBD this morning too, but nothing exciting to report otherwise.

Happy Friday! :D

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:16 am

I went to grab a drink on the way home yesterday but no water bottle...thought I left it at work but not here....must be on the side of the road somewhere...love Brisbanes smooth roads.
took the train today, save the legs for tomorrows ride, plus easier to cart the laptop and clothes home.
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

JulMass

Postby JulMass » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:27 am

My commute takes me through Adelaide's delightful parklands where lots of dog owners like to run their pups. Im a dog owner too so understand completely. So im riding along in the opposite direction to a dog owner whose dog is off lead in a 'on-lead only' area.
So I say to dog owner who is walking directly towards me on the same side of the path (left) with her zombie earphones. ..and allowing her dog to stand on the path and I have no idea what said dog will do...by this time I am at a complete stop...."your dog should be on lead, I can't predict what it will do"
Her response?
"Why don't you go and f@! k yourself!"
WOW!
Sorry but I thought that was a bit OTT. I often wonder about abusing others where there is conflict like this.
Was I being too harsh myself....say nothing?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:37 am

JulMass wrote:Was I being too harsh myself....say nothing?
run over a few. the word will get around

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:24 pm

woohoo!!!

finally cracked the 30km/h for my commute home.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:34 pm

That is good jasonc. 28kph is my best on my 5km commute

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk