How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jasonc

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:43 pm

kb wrote:
jasonc wrote:I don't know if you could call them commutes....
Of course they were. Replaced a car trip to and from L'Étape. (Thankfully I didn't get stuck in the ski tube with the power failure like some of the slower folk!)
sound like training rides to me ;)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:19 am

did a fitness test last night as part of a PhD study into lactate threshold that I've volunteered myself as a mule for. this morning I rode in to work with the wife and suddenly found that I was being overtaken by all and sundry. "that must have taken a lot out of me" I thought to myself, as I got slower and slower. then it dawned on me that something was wrong and I discovered the rear disc brake was locked on. one of the conical centre-ing washers for a caliper mount bolt had broken and this seemed to have caused the pads to jam against the disc. 5 mins. of allen key twirling and I was on my way, with front brakes only :)

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:08 am

First commute in almost 3 weeks, my kids have been bringing home cold after cold and I've been right on the edge of catching them, but not quite, so haven't pushed myself. Previous life experience has shown me that trying to ignore my body's warning signs leads to getting properly sick. Frustrating though having to drive in this beautiful weather.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:48 am

A bit roasted yesterday afternoon - looks like another warm day again. Got in early.

march83

Postby march83 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:49 am

Yesterday afternoon: 36ºC average, 15-20km/h headwind. 1h40m turned into 2hrs of torture. Something-something character building.

This morning: Mother in law was late to pick up the kids so i had to chase the train for 5 stops with tired legs. I eventually got it, but less than ideal start to the day.

This afternoon: I think i will be on the air-conditioned train...

tez001

Postby tez001 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:14 am

It was hot this morning when I was riding in at 7am!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:37 am

perfect weather in Brissy

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:28 am

Summer in Auckland... I think it nearly hit 20c and windy.
had the bikes in for services last week... yesterday the rear cassette came loose on the newly built wheel so had to cut the commute home short and head directly home... used the cyclocross bike this morning but switched the wheels over to the road wheels... front wheel must have picked up a slow leek so pulled over to pump it up and when I took the pump off the valve came out as well... I normally have a valve tool in the bike bag...which I took off as I have spares in the backpack... just no valve tool or unused gas cartridges... took 4 goes before I just changed the tube and managed to get the tyre pumped up... hoping for a better ride home although rain is coming
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:29 pm

tez001 wrote:It was hot this morning when I was riding in at 7am!
I was already riding at 5:30am. Avoided going too quickly to avoid getting sweaty.

Tonight was cooler than yesterday- but heavy drops of rain started about 10km away from home. So I ended up having to destroy myself. Thought it might storm, but it didn't. Got home without getting wet from rain, but absolutely drowned in sweat. :lol: :oops:

I did an hour of intervals before that, nothing too hard. Think I was spotted doing those by someone here.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:46 am

end of year brekky with the social group i run. more glorious weather. was at the physio last night getting turned into a pin cushion. a bit sore today but better tomorrow. last work day for the year today.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:43 am

jasonc wrote:end of year brekky with the social group i run. more glorious weather. was at the physio last night getting turned into a pin cushion. a bit sore today but better tomorrow. last work day for the year today.
I haven't been near physios recently thank goodness (they already got near $1000 of my money earlier this year), but I do have very sore legs thanks to yesterday's interval session that just got harder and harder as we pushed up the power up bit by bit. :lol: It was a nice morning for a ride however. :)

Easy ride this morning - first time on 50/34 chainrings to test it out. Can't see much need for it around this area, but I think I'll need it next year.

march83

Postby march83 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:25 am

Yesterday: another brutally hot, headwind afternoon. 2hrs of suffering. Should have caught the train home.
This morning: nothing left in the legs, just a gentle little doddle from the station to the office.

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:17 am

yesterday evening - unbelievable timing. stepped into the garage 2 mins before the downpour. i wasn't even trying to beat the storm this time.

also on the way home a few days ago, had a nasty encounter - 1 moment my bib was clean, the next moment .. fresh and gooey avian faecal matter. sheesh ...
good thing i had some paper towel to wipe it off. would've been awfully distracting .... !

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:25 am

caneye wrote:yesterday evening - unbelievable timing. stepped into the garage 2 mins before the downpour. i wasn't even trying to beat the storm this time.

also on the way home a few days ago, had a nasty encounter - 1 moment my bib was clean, the next moment .. fresh and gooey avian faecal matter. sheesh ...
good thing i had some paper towel to wipe it off. would've been awfully distracting .... !
Oh yes, I forgot about that storm - I did push myself pretty hard to beat that. I could see the dark clouds in the distance. When I say pushing myself pretty hard, it's whatever the legs would do and staying down in the drops and being as aero as possible... It's what you do when you've cooked your legs. :oops:

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:29 pm

Its magic in Auckland.... 16c this morning and little wind and going home is around 23c... not missing Brisbane at all... and not a lot of cars on the road which is a bonus .. having said that a wet front is due tomorrow but will only last a day...i hope
Last edited by cancan64 on Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:48 pm

Bit cooler this morning, took an extension route. Then managed a 4th on a segment leaderboard on my fixie. Realise I need to up my training to sustain efforts for longer and 2min felt like a lot longer, but then I'm way out of shape having completed just over half my annual target to date.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:21 pm

Last one for the year, so made it count. 51.9km, including three quick shopping stops on the way. Biggest ride in months, cramped in the last few kms on the hills unfortunately. Still worth it. Happy holidays everyone.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:07 pm

Woke up to heavy rain this morning so a shortish commute after it dried but super windy and a bit sea sick working on the yacht so came home early but cut that ride short due to feeling crap and the wind blowing me all over the place.
Possibly 2 more commutes to go this year... both over 200km and both according to the expert weather people will be into head winds with possible showers and both in different directions.... I dont know what I have done to upset the weather gods.... would go in the car if it wasnt for the commuter challenge

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:52 am

We had Christmas yesterday. The rest of the family are off to spend the day with Grandpa.
The commute in this morning was sublime.
About 19c, a clear sky, not much wind and hardly a car on the road. :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

tez001

Postby tez001 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:08 pm

Day 1 of commuting for 2017 and I have had the most dramas today than what I can remember for a long time!

1. Pyrmont Bridge - during the holiday season. Dont need to say any more

2. Anzac Bridge exit. Me and another ding our bells for two pedestrians walking across the shared path. One of them starts to go on that bikes need to give way to all pedestrians and he isnt moving. Eventually, his buddy makes room for us to ride past.

3. Iron Cove bridge - again, ding a pedestrian to warn them as they are wandering over the path with headphones in. Don't hear us after multiple rings, so just wait till she is on mostly one side of the path and ride on through.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:22 pm

tez001 wrote:2. Anzac Bridge exit. Me and another ding our bells for two pedestrians walking across the shared path. One of them starts to go on that bikes need to give way to all pedestrians and he isnt moving. Eventually, his buddy makes room for us to ride past.

3. Iron Cove bridge - again, ding a pedestrian to warn them as they are wandering over the path with headphones in. Don't hear us after multiple rings, so just wait till she is on mostly one side of the path and ride on through.
Duncan Gay tells them they can do this, and some riders on certain bicycle forums also wax lyrical on how riders have to give way to pedestrians. So they see this and take it to the extremity.

I've not had any great troubles with pedestrians recently. Did have a trailbike on a cycleway the other day though. I was doing 45km/h and he must have been doing 35km/h going the opposite way - the guy damn near sh#t himself. :lol:

tez001

Postby tez001 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:22 am

g-boaf wrote:
Duncan Gay tells them they can do this, and some riders on certain bicycle forums also wax lyrical on how riders have to give way to pedestrians. So they see this and take it to the extremity.

I've not had any great troubles with pedestrians recently. Did have a trailbike on a cycleway the other day though. I was doing 45km/h and he must have been doing 35km/h going the opposite way - the guy damn near sh#t himself. :lol:
Come on its not that hard to move to the left, the same thing a normal person would do if there was say a pedestrian coming from the opposite direction as well. But in his defence, the bloke looked like he had been drinking since New Year's Eve :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:44 am

holidays were interrupted with a sick child. so rather than sitting at home (like Mrs JasonC is doing with said sick child), I've come to work for a few days.

Ant_S

Postby Ant_S » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:20 pm

Was looking at the temperature graph predictions for today in Perth...apparently 40deg at midday but down to ~33deg at 5pm which is when I head home. Presently still sitting at 38deg though :P lucky its just 18km ride

caneye

Postby caneye » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:06 pm

pretty ordinary wet morning commute.
was bucketing down towards the end. CBF to change to rainproof gilet.
here's hoping the socks dry in time :D

the local Coles is clearing Xmas mince pies for 37c (pack of 6). good value! bought them to fuel-up before the hour-long commute. might even be useful for long weekend rides ... .. lol