How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Summernight

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Summernight » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:29 am

Well, the muscles were all in alignment this morning, I was feeling good, and it even felt like it might possibly be a small tailwind as opposed to a headwind on the way to work. I was passing cars in the lovely bike lane that is Elizabeth St, Richmond (very wide with a buffer zone painted between the bike lane and the vehicle lane). Then I get to the Hoddle Street crossing. The lights change and I cross into the dreaded two block section of Albert Street where there is no bike lane (just a stupid dotted line that is 30 cms away from the parked cars that delineates the third lane). This is the section where I've had the most issues with cars.

Anyway, today was no exception - I'm riding along, claiming the left lane so I don't get buzzed, then I hear a blip beside me and look right and there is a blue and yellow Highway Patrol police car with its passenger window down and the youngish looking male police officer pointing to the dotted line that is decidedly NOT a bike lane and saying that I should be over there. I'd just passed another cyclist in the left lane a few seconds before too (although I stay in the middle of the lane so the overtaking doesn't really change my line much). So I tell him "That's not a bike lane" and I repeat it because I think he says something like "Yes, it is". Anyway, he probably didn't want to have more of a fight or maybe he realised he actually didn't know the rules well enough because he drove off. 30metres up the road was the REAL 'copenhagen' Albert St bike lane, which I pointed at and said "THAT is a bike lane".

It made me quite annoyed that this police officer, who is supposed to KNOW the road rules, doesn't know or doesn't care to know about the road rules in relation to bikes and seems to be saying that the two seconds saved by the car behind me is more important than my life (I wasn't going that much slower than the cars were). I mean, surely safety of people on the road would be his top priority but here he is telling me to get into the door zone and to make myself less safe by moving left and possibly allowing cars to think there is enough space to pass me without changing lanes. No thanks.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:44 am

Summernight wrote:
It made me quite annoyed that this police officer, who is supposed to KNOW the road rules, doesn't know or doesn't care to know about the road rules in relation to bikes and seems to be saying that the two seconds saved by the car behind me is more important than my life (I wasn't going that much slower than the cars were). I mean, surely safety of people on the road would be his top priority but here he is telling me to get into the door zone and to make myself less safe by moving left and possibly allowing cars to think there is enough space to pass me without changing lanes. No thanks.
You have your gopro running??? If so, you should have the car number....make a report to the relevant part of Vic Police about it.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:47 am

Another multi-hop commute past my brother's place yesterday afternoon to pick up my gloves I'd forgotten there on Friday. The ride started out overcast with the threat of showers, but cleared up the further north I got, even broke a bit of a sweat with the humidity.
Back to the norm of rain and wet roads for this morning's commute into the Melbourne CBD, and a brisk southerly to ride into to boot.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:41 am

Plus side: I had a squishy ride in because I was too lazy to put the SMPs back on my wheels last night, so I rode in on the Conti CX Races from Saturday's gravel grind.

On the down side: my first Moron Motorist/road rage today.

Coming up Albert St past Hoddle, from the first to the second set of lights (before the separated bike lane starts) I had a woman on her horn.
The.
Whole.
Way.

I looked behind and she was gesturing over to the left, either insisting that I ride in the door zone (no thanks) or on the footpath (I'll stay on the road, where I am allowed to ride, cheers).
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:10 pm

gretaboy wrote:
Summernight wrote:
You have your gopro running??? If so, you should have the car number....make a report to the relevant part of Vic Police about it.
I have three cameras running now (one GoPro on the handlebars, and two 808 #16s - one on the helmet and the other facing rearwards) and after he did that I read out his plates as he drove away so my voice should be audible on the GoPro and the helmet cam (haven't reviewed the footage yet). I was thinking about sending something to the police but wouldn't that be like poking the hornet's nest?

I don't delete commute footage anyway so will have a think about it.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:13 pm

Magpie swoop this morning. I thought their breeding time is over by now.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:45 pm

We've got an injured baby magpie in our front yard well guarded by its family, and its siblings are out and about feeding themselves.

Fine warmer weather here, I remembered to put a bell on a bike added to the commute mix that was forgotten, and each time I'd set off I'd think "damn no bell" and by the end of trip forget about it.
Not this time, found a new one, all is good again. Return trip home go to use it and the top unscrewed, cap fell to the path, I caught the rest of the bell/spring/hammer assembly in my hand and stashed it in a jersey pocket. One ride bell, nice one Reid Cycles =D All the other bells seem to be held in by a rivet type non-threaded retaining centre so you can spin it all day, not coming off. This one had a plastic cap (now lost). I guess when $1 bells aren't cheap enough, you need to make them cheaper =D So little to complain about that's the biggest complaint I can muster =D

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:55 pm

^you just reminded me about the bell. My awesome bronze bell lever got lost last weekend.
The spring gave up after 600 km of riding. This bell is for shows only and nothing more. Back to the old reliable $1 bell for now.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:06 pm

Maybe a small brass hammer cradled in a brass rack off the bars and tethered by some chain.
With one pure white gloved hand you can use the dainty hammer to give the brass bell a 'ding' for all good taste observing high society to meander to their left as you glide through.

PS: very pretty frame/components just from that shot :)

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:17 pm

eldavo wrote:Maybe a small brass hammer cradled in a brass rack off the bars and tethered by some chain.
With one pure white gloved hand you can use the dainty hammer to give the brass bell a 'ding' for all good taste observing high society to meander to their left as you glide through.

PS: very pretty frame/components just from that shot :)
I'll see what I can do with this bell and thanks - this is a frame of joy to me at the moment.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:42 pm

Cruise commute in this morning, cool, calm, pleasant.

This afternoon was a little different. Torrential rain before leaving left water and debris everywhere. Howling gales (50km/h) slowed progress to the lowest gear and pushed me to the side plenty of times while the rain stung my face and kept the puddles topped up. Probably the worst conditions I have ridden in, ever, but it was a good challenge and I proved it can be done.

Now to try to dry everything out and decide wether to attempt to play in the mud on the way in tomorrow morning.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:50 pm

No rain on my short commute today. This arvo, wind is so mad that it is always blowing against me, :(

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:00 pm

Slow one this morning, which I expected after tough Mudder on Saturday, but it turns out the main reason was when I had given the bike a good clean on Sunday I have either not got the real wheel on straight or moved one of the brake pads (or both) and as a result I had a semi sticking rear brake for 38km, whic explained why I was struggling to maintain any speed. Slackened off the brake for now and will try to re-seat the wheel later, I'm sure it was round before I cleaned it!

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:32 pm

Had a bit of a bump coming from the back wheel last week. Tyre was coming away from the beading. Still, got about 5,000KM out of it, most of that on the front but probably 1,000 on the back so not so bad.

Monday, after doing the monthly clean and check, plus replacing the tyre, I break a spoke. Right pain, I do seem to be very good at breaking spokes.

Today it seemed the wind was the main issue, big Southerly on the way home. Is it just me or has the last couple of months in Melbourne been more windy than usual for this time of year?

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:38 am

DavidS wrote:Had a bit of a bump coming from the back wheel last week. Tyre was coming away from the beading. Still, got about 5,000KM out of it, most of that on the front but probably 1,000 on the back so not so bad.
What sort of tyre? For commuting you could consider marathon plusses. I got over 9000km on the rear from my last marathon plus. The one I have on the back now has down 7500km on the front, 1500km on the back, and probably has at least another 5000km to go!

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:42 am

Yesterday afternoon was a bit wild and wet...at one stage outside was as black as night despite it being only 3pm. As such I delayed my journey home by about 20 minutes. Had winds blowing about 56 k/h but for once they were going my way...yay for me. Put my new gortex wet weather jacket on and it worked a treat...but as always, having it on meant the rain stopped. So I stopped and took it off as I was getting wetter inside it than on the outside. When the raid did come back I couldnt be bothered putting it back on. Shoes felt like swimming pools on numerous occasions and I could feel the road grime come into the shoes each time I went through a big puddle.

Luckily I had no incidents to contend with, but with about 15 k to go, the lightening started back up. The gap between light and boom was a fair way apart but was getting closer and closer as time went by. This did worry me a little but I ended up getting home all nice and safe. Within ten minutes of getting home, the skies really opened up.

This morning I was expecting more rain but it held off. The roads were dry too. Ended up being a little overdressed as a result.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:44 am

InTheWoods wrote:
DavidS wrote:Had a bit of a bump coming from the back wheel last week. Tyre was coming away from the beading. Still, got about 5,000KM out of it, most of that on the front but probably 1,000 on the back so not so bad.
What sort of tyre? For commuting you could consider marathon plusses. I got over 9000km on the rear from my last marathon plus. The one I have on the back now has down 7500km on the front, 1500km on the back, and probably has at least another 5000km to go!
My current front tyre, which did a stint on the rear also, has done close to 14000 k's. Marathon plus too. Reckon it would have another 2-3 thousand left in it too but I may bin it due to a huge cut I recently got in it

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:30 am

DavidS wrote:Today it seemed the wind was the main issue, big Southerly on the way home. Is it just me or has the last couple of months in Melbourne been more windy than usual for this time of year?DS
I've battled northerlies on the way home for months now, thought it would never end...the wind seems to have come to its senses now! :wink:

Nice conditions for the ride back yesterday afternoon - MYT -> Heidelberg ->Greensborough and onwards, assisted by a southerly :)
...which was still around for this mornings commute, albeit slightly subdued, can't complain though.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:40 am

gretaboy wrote:My current front tyre, which did a stint on the rear also, has done close to 14000 k's. Marathon plus too. Reckon it would have another 2-3 thousand left in it too but I may bin it due to a huge cut I recently got in it
Idon't know how you keep your SMPs going that far, gretaboy. My rear SMP has 6000km on it since I fitted it mid-June, and is starting to look a bit of a sorry sight: squaring off, pitted all over (I do patch the larger gashes), and has some spots where the puncture protection is starting to show. Made the decision to change it this week, cornering is a bit ordinary on squared-off tyres....
The front is closer to 12000km, fitted at the beginning of the year, will change that for a Durano Plus...so SMP rear, SDP front...

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:53 am

Gosh, I'm getting no riding done at all right now. Commuted to the local child care centre to scout it out. Only 2kms each way, but it was good to get on something and spin!

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:10 pm

TailWind wrote:
gretaboy wrote:My current front tyre, which did a stint on the rear also, has done close to 14000 k's. Marathon plus too. Reckon it would have another 2-3 thousand left in it too but I may bin it due to a huge cut I recently got in it
Idon't know how you keep your SMPs going that far, gretaboy. My rear SMP has 6000km on it since I fitted it mid-June, and is starting to look a bit of a sorry sight: squaring off, pitted all over (I do patch the larger gashes), and has some spots where the puncture protection is starting to show. Made the decision to change it this week, cornering is a bit ordinary on squared-off tyres....
The front is closer to 12000km, fitted at the beginning of the year, will change that for a Durano Plus...so SMP rear, SDP front...
Neither do I...but I record in Garmin Connect when I change components so I have a good idea of distances I am getting from them. All comes down to luck I guess and what damage you incur during riding. Got a new SMP on order and once it arrives the front will go, the rear will go to the front and new onto the back. Only reason front will go is because of the recent huge gash it collected

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:39 pm

After the torrential downpour yesterday and continuing rain overnight decided that discretion was the better part of valour this morning so avoided the MTB Glenrock commute and chose a longer roadie route. Delayed departure by about 20 min due to a shower of rain and then headed off only at the last minute decided to extend the route. There was plenty of debris around and the track was damp but otherwise was a good ride this morning. Glad I extended the ride.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:24 pm

gretaboy wrote:but I record in Garmin Connect when I change components so I have a good idea of distances I am getting from them.
Okay I do this in Strava, but didn't know you could do it in G connect. What worse, after having a look around there, I can't even find how to do this. So, where do I find this feature?

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:40 pm

oxonabike wrote:
gretaboy wrote:but I record in Garmin Connect when I change components so I have a good idea of distances I am getting from them.
Okay I do this in Strava, but didn't know you could do it in G connect. What worse, after having a look around there, I can't even find how to do this. So, where do I find this feature?
I simply change the "Activity Name" field to whatever...easy to do searches on then

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:29 am

What a beautiful morning for a ride. I hacked the feet off a couple of my long motorcycle riding socks and they made great impromptu arm warmers.

First time riding in to work on the roadie and I shaved 8 minutes off my PB and got the average speed to over 30km/h. Now the next target is to get under 1h10m.

What a great morning.

The challenge today is I have ridden in to work and plan to ride home, the other two times I've done this I've ridden home and then back the next day.

Hopefully I can recover enough by 4.30ish to smash home as well, hopefully it's nice and still not stupid headwinds like I'm used to going north.