How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

__PG__

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby __PG__ » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:39 am

Eye-wateringly fresh this morning, but lovely. I stopped off at Cecil Walker and bought some of these this morning.
http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/gloves/ultr ... ves-yellow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Needed some proper winter riding gloves. My BBB raceshields aren't wind/waterproof.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

find_bruce

How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby find_bruce » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:46 pm

First commute after 4 days off & I was like a horse in clover. Apologies to any following downwind :oops:
Anything you can do, I can do slower

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:13 am

Headed into cold rain after leaving my brother's place on Friday evening after a somewhat damp ride getting there in the first place.
Very chilly ride on Monday morning - set off at 2.5C, but looking at the observations later, the temp went down to -1 in my area. There was frost along the Darebin Creek Trail - little ice crystals reflecting prettily in my lights...

No rides today, working from home after a poor night's sleep....
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:35 am

This morning was the inconsiderate building supplies tray truck (with company logo and custom company licence plate) who decided to:

1) turn from a side street to enter a blocked intersection, thereby completely blocking the whole lane AND the dedicated bike lane beside (so I waited politely until the traffic moved and the bike lane was clear before proceeding); and
2) the next side street up from his move number 1 he turned left again without checking the bike lane first (I was on his left, not in his blindspot and overtaking him at this time) and he would have squeezed me into the parked car/gutter/under his tray truck if I hadn't realised he was cutting off the bike lane and about to skewer me as he turned left over the top of me..

I will be reviewing the video and sending a message off to the company about his poor driving. :roll:

Apart from that, the ride was fairly lovely. A couple of cyclists in front of me on Macarthur and Spring Street need to review the road rules as they went on the left of the left indicating and turning van when the lights turned green, causing the conscientious driver to have to brake so as not to hit them. Not the smartest of moves.

EDIT: Upon reviewing the footage, the truck doesn't just cut the bike lane and endanger me, but also in doing so he turns the wrong way down a one-way street.
Last edited by Summernight on Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:43 am

how's the knee TW?

another nice morning in Brissy.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:20 am

jasonc wrote:how's the knee TW?
Knee was good Friday afternoon and no probs on Monday for my regular distances, thx for asking :)
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:44 am

if you dropped a pump on the MYT this morning, that was me yelling at you as you rode off into the distance. surely you must have heard? no response. no, i didn't pick the pump up :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:56 am

TailWind wrote:Knee was good Friday afternoon and no probs on Monday for my regular distances, thx for asking :)
I'm impressed, if you didn't know better, it looked for all the world like jasonc was genuinely concerned for your health :D

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:18 pm

find_bruce wrote:
TailWind wrote:Knee was good Friday afternoon and no probs on Monday for my regular distances, thx for asking :)
I'm impressed, if you didn't know better, it looked for all the world like jasonc was genuinely concerned for your health :D
bruce - a few weeks off is what he needs. if i could get andre to do the same, it would be great too.
knee injuries are rarely caused by the knee joint.

looking more and more likely that i'll have 2 and a half weeks off in october (attend a wedding and around the bay in melbourne) so I need as much of a gap as I can get.

AndreB1972

Postby AndreB1972 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:10 pm

jasonc wrote: bruce - a few weeks off is what he needs. if i could get andre to do the same, it would be great too.
You've already had a few easy weeks - I've been travelling, so the weekly mileage has been a bit low...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:15 pm

AndreB1972 wrote:
jasonc wrote: bruce - a few weeks off is what he needs. if i could get andre to do the same, it would be great too.
You've already had a few easy weeks - I've been travelling, so the weekly mileage has been a bit low...
I had noticed you hadn't been logging as much. one more day and I probably would have been back in P1.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:33 pm

fantastic commute home from the airport with the wife :)

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:54 pm

-7 degrees celcius this morning.

I am a legend! :lol: :lol: :lol:

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:57 pm

cp123 wrote:-7 degrees celcius this morning.

I concur!

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:14 pm

in my own lunchbox! :lol: :P

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:23 pm

poohkies wrote:fantastic commute home from the airport with the wife :)
so you remember how to commute? ;)

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:25 pm

Yeah, getting there, when this weather gets warmer I'll be back into it! Got to make an effort :) but was good miss riding home from the airport

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:13 am

Lovely rides in this weather! Except the wind made a return on the journey into work this morning. :|

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:51 am

Summernight wrote:Lovely rides in this weather! Except the wind made a return on the journey into work this morning. :|
Hope you are feeling better - or perhaps that's not what you meant :oops:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:02 am

Cold this morning. The temp didn't appear that cold, but at the end my face was aching and all fingers were numb. Glad I didn't attempt it a few days ago on the coldest day in 4years. Temp reading at work said it was 5oC. I was probably under-dressed too.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:34 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Summernight wrote:Lovely rides in this weather! Except the wind made a return on the journey into work this morning. :|
Hope you are feeling better - or perhaps that's not what you meant :oops:
:lol:

Actually I'm coming down with something (sore throat at the moment) but it isn't wind related. 8)

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:58 pm

cp123 wrote:-7 degrees celcius this morning.

I'm impressed! I piked on Tuesday when it was freezing cold. I'd packed all my gear up the night before and everything but I just couldn't do it when I got out of bed and was breathing smoke.
This morning was cold but not too cold. Lots of crazy pedestrians on the way home - a very small girl on a balance bike weaving her way along the middle of the bike track at 5.30pm. I was going so slowly I nearly fell off and she still nearly went under my wheel darting sideways just as I got to her. Parent off to the side watching and doing nothing.
Then some teenagers threw a football across the bike track and missed me by a few cm.
Then a pedestrian wandering up a short stretch of shared footpath staring at her phone was very startled when she looked up just as I was going very slowly through the space on her left.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:59 pm

Great evening commute. Extended my usual 5km to 19km. No Strava trophies though :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:38 am

honourable reasons thread for me today

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:50 am

Drizzle on the way home and drizzle on the way in. Glad I didn't clean my chain at lunchtime yesterday and instead went shopping for clothes! :)

Traffic was busy this morning and banked back a fair bit. I sailed past in the dedicated bike lane. Bikes win again!

The bike is making louder and louder intermittent sort-of-ripping noises that are the unexplained noises I keep thinking are the BB but can never be found. I wonder when it'll pack it in and die.

Oh, and last night I had another cyclist decide to pass just as a light turns green (I'm first at the lights and have been waiting at the red). This guy on a flatbar clearly thought he would be faster than me (because I'm a girl wearing a skirt??? I don't know) and then subsequently held me up as I couldn't safely pass him in the Albert St bike lane until the next intersection (where he ate my dust). If you want to pass me... MAKE IT STICK!!!

And in the block before home the car two in front of me decided to travel at about 20km/h in the 40km/h zone (with speed bumps). It was a positively sedentary pace. All the cars in line didn't attempt to pass or honk their horns or anything. If that was me as a cyclist I would have been getting pass after pass and possibly honks. Amazing the difference.