How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

TailWind

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Mon May 06, 2013 9:15 am

gretaboy wrote:
TailWind wrote:TW...I have tried the Durano Plus...failed for me on the roads I ride.
Not what I wanted to hear.. :(, but judging by your reports your conditions are pretty extreme...so perhaps I'll get away with it on my mix of paths and inner city/suburban roads.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon May 06, 2013 9:18 am

TailWind wrote:
gretaboy wrote:
TailWind wrote:TW...I have tried the Durano Plus...failed for me on the roads I ride.
Not what I wanted to hear.. :(, but judging by your reports your conditions are pretty extreme...so perhaps I'll get away with it on my mix of paths and inner city/suburban roads.
yeah you may be right...given my roads have destroyed gatorskins, durano plus tyres...two steel water cages, one chromoplastic mudguard and one wheel hub they arent the smoothest roads I ride

plus I am a fat b...d at 97 kilos, so if your lighter they may work better for you

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon May 06, 2013 9:24 am

TailWind wrote:
gretaboy wrote:

the rear on my roadie is a durano plus. so far, just over 2000kms. 1 puncture.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon May 06, 2013 9:32 am

gretaboy wrote:yeah you may be right...given my roads have destroyed gatorskins, durano plus tyres...two steel water cages, one chromoplastic mudguard and one wheel hub they arent the smoothest roads I ride
plus I am a fat b...d at 97 kilos, so if your lighter they may work better for you
Ouch, that's quite a bit of attrition...I'm somewhat lighter, bouncing between 72-74kg + panniers. Will report back after a couple of months of commutes as to how they are faring.
jasonc wrote:the rear on my roadie is a durano plus. so far, just over 2000kms. 1 puncture.
Hmm, another strike against the Durano :? .
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon May 06, 2013 9:41 am

TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote:the rear on my roadie is a durano plus. so far, just over 2000kms. 1 puncture.
How is that a negative?

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon May 06, 2013 9:48 am

Dan wrote:
TailWind wrote:
How is that a negative?
Maybe I'm a little paranoid about punctures :mrgreen:
My experience sofar:
Vittoria Randonneur - 6.5K for the rears, no punctures
Marathon Plus - 6.5 K for the rears, no punctures (ok, one was destroyed by some sharp metal blade that sliced right through the tyre and even slashed the rim tape).

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon May 06, 2013 11:36 am

I suspect that with jasonc's puncture history, his 1x puncture would've been something extraordinary, too :)

In other news, lukeyboy and I did exactly 50km/h down Kedron Park road this morning. Honest.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon May 06, 2013 12:17 pm

Dan wrote:I suspect that with jasonc's puncture history, his 1x puncture would've been something extraordinary, too :)
Nah. nothing interesting. sorry. The marathon plus tyres are up to 7833kms. Didn't get time on the weekend to change the rear one. Hopefully this weekend :?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon May 06, 2013 1:09 pm

Man my bike was heavy this morning. Ferrying in shoes, frozen meals etc. :o. I had probably 12kg of panniers on too of my 15kg bike. :)

Still felt good after the weekend off, though. :)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon May 06, 2013 2:19 pm

Perth:

I left early this morning after a weeks leave from work. Got about 2km downthe road and realised that my shower key was in another bag. That pretty well wiped out my itnetion to get to work and get on top of the email.

Oh well, when I got back inside the door I did take advantage however to strip off the over-clothing that I had,the gloves etc as the morning, again, was fine for riding in a singlet. And few extra kms never hurt anyone.

Ain't perth weather just so kind?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon May 06, 2013 2:37 pm

gretaboy wrote:
TailWind wrote: The tyre they fitted is a Schwalbe Durano Plus (they were out of stock of Vittorias), which, according to the marketing blurb is a higher performing tyre than the Marathon Plus, however, the puncture protection strip is apparently thinner, and the expected mileage is less than for the Marathon Plus.
Oh well, we'll see how it works out, hopefully the protection strip is adequate for the routes I ride.
TW...I have tried the Durano Plus...failed for me on the roads I ride.

The Durano Plus is nowhere near as good as the SMP, but I have only punctured on the Durano Plus when commuting on my road bike. They are great for road riding but they wear very quickly compared to the SMP.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon May 06, 2013 6:58 pm

The wife was riding home tonight and the police were picking cyclists at random on Butterfield St at Herston and checking that they had a bell, lights, and an Australian standards sticker inside their helmet...that's a first.

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon May 06, 2013 7:07 pm

Fkn unbelievable.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Mon May 06, 2013 7:23 pm

Comedian wrote:The wife was riding home tonight and the police were picking cyclists at random on Butterfield St at Herston and checking that they had a bell, lights, and an Australian standards sticker inside their helmet...that's a first.
are they handing over free lights and helmet if the riders don't have one?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon May 06, 2013 7:56 pm

rheicel wrote:
Comedian wrote:The wife was riding home tonight and the police were picking cyclists at random on Butterfield St at Herston and checking that they had a bell, lights, and an Australian standards sticker inside their helmet...that's a first.
are they handing over free lights and helmet if the riders don't have one?
hmm. knowing campbell, i doubt it. probably a chunky donation to the "LNP we're selling everything fund"

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue May 07, 2013 12:45 am

Don't suppose they were doing roadworthies on cars were they??

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue May 07, 2013 8:29 am

queequeg wrote:The Durano Plus is nowhere near as good as the SMP, but I have only punctured on the Durano Plus when commuting on my road bike. They are great for road riding but they wear very quickly compared to the SMP.
I'm starting to get the distinct feeling that I'm going to have some fun with this tyre on a cold, wet and dark morning :? ...doesn't sound like a replacement for the SMP for commuting purposes.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue May 07, 2013 8:51 am

There was some excitement in one of the other threads regarding the bridge on the Darebin Creek Trail under Heidelberg being open, and I misinterpreted "The Boulevard" referring to Yarra Boulevard, thinking one could get from the MYT next to the Eastern Freeway to the Darebin Creek Trail via this new trail. Tried it out yesterday afternoon, and of course, after a bit of off-road cycling, realised my mistake and went around via Eaglemont/Ivanhoe East to check it out on the Heidelberg Road side (Detour of about 7km). A helpful sign there informed me that the missing link of about 1.8km would be completed over the next few years. Clearly, I was a bit early :mrgreen:
It'll be a lovely ride once done, very scenic. The wooden bridges will have to be treated with some anti-slip coating, they'll be lethal in their raw state when wet...

Some more work going on further up the Darebin Creek Trail behind Northlands more of the bitumen being ripped up to be replaced with concrete - this requires a detour across a sportsfield...hope they don't take too long.
Also came across a group of teenagers taking turns on one of those horrible noisy, smelly mini trail bikes:
Cheeky bugger tried to wheelspin some grass at me as I was passing shaking my head.

Dressed for rain this morning for the ride into the Melbourne CBD as the radar was looking ominous, but the rain front moved slowly enough for me to get into the inner suburbs, and then it was only a few drops. Looks a bit worse now.

Edit: spelling
Last edited by TailWind on Tue May 07, 2013 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue May 07, 2013 8:57 am

Yesterday arvo clouds, dark clouds were rolling in along with a 30+ southerly. Decided to leave work a little early to try and miss the rain. As I was hopping on the bike I could see in the sunlight faint little rain drops, couldnt really feel them tho. My route home was riding away from the dark clouds luckily, and combined with the good tailwind I was able to get away from them and stay dry for my ride home.

Every monday night I do a boxing for fitness "class". I get home around 5:30 and the class starts at 6. It is good fun and it works everything. Only issue is my legs are now totally stuffed and it is only Tuesday morning. Going to be a painful week coming up riding wise.

This morning wasnt as cold as yesterday due to the grey clouds hanging around. I obviously missed the morning rain as the roads were wet but I stayed dry...yay for me. Uneventful ride all up so am a happy camper.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue May 07, 2013 9:18 am

@TW - well done on > 5000 commuting k's for the year

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue May 07, 2013 9:22 am

gretaboy wrote:@TW - well done on > 5000 commuting k's for the year
Thx - feels like it's taken forever..prob because I can see you charging away in the distance :mrgreen:

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue May 07, 2013 9:50 am

I am sweating like hell on my short commute this morning.
I was freezing yesterday, I tried to gear up more this morning and I ended up sweating after 1 km and all the way to the office.

ray

Postby ray » Tue May 07, 2013 10:01 am

rheicel wrote:I am sweating like hell on my short commute this morning.
I was freezing yesterday, I tried to gear up more this morning and I ended up sweating after 1 km and all the way to the office.
In Brisbane, felt colder than what it was with a headwind on my way into work from the North side but I'm made of sugar :) Base layer on - wasn't warmed up until a k to go (20km trip). Enjoyed the warm shower.

Brownster

Postby Brownster » Tue May 07, 2013 10:04 am

Awesome commute this morning utilising the M2 from Baulko to Pennant Hills Rd. Past a Motorcycle copper parked on the side of the M2.
Def not as cold as yesterday morning. Looking forward to the 2;15pm commute home this arvo...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue May 07, 2013 10:52 am

JasonC down!

2kms from home I went over a thick stick that I hadn't seen (it was dark). Don't know how I came down but I have grazes on my left leg, left arm (both quite deep), both my shoulder blades, and a small one on my left hip. Went home had a shower and scrubbed them as much as I could then went to the doctors to get it bandaged up.
Feeling a bit sore and sorry. I did ride the bike home so it is in a working state but will give it a once-over

EDIT: speed would have been 35-40km/h