How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

ColinOldnCranky

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:16 pm

Perth:

Today was glorious - to the n'th degree! The sunrise is happening now as I venture out doors so the light is now mostly just for visibiity. The water was mirror smooth and there are a few more people out and about doing whatever their particular thing is.

I am hoping to get away from work early enough to repeat the dose on the way home.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Reman

Postby Reman » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:49 pm

Warm and sunny going in :)
Cold and windy coming home :(

nuclear_rider

Postby nuclear_rider » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:36 pm

I love my P45's!!! I haven't had a chance to test them out before and i was really impressed with how well they kept the spray off me. It was my first wet commute ever and I haven t been turned off wet riding!!!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:46 pm

smashed the commute on the way home. averaged 28.7km/h over just under 22kms - garmin connect records it correctly, strava doesn't :evil:
not bad for a flat bar

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:52 pm

jasonc wrote:smashed the commute on the way home. averaged 28.7km/h over just under 22kms - garmin connect records it correctly, strava doesn't :evil:
not bad for a flat bar
nice work Jason. Sylvan rd looks like where you 'lost' time .... Those lights there are a PITA.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:01 pm

Kenzo wrote:
jasonc wrote:smashed the commute on the way home. averaged 28.7km/h over just under 22kms - garmin connect records it correctly, strava doesn't :evil:
not bad for a flat bar
nice work Jason. Sylvan rd looks like where you 'lost' time .... Those lights there are a PITA.
sylvan rd has a slight head wind which would explain that too..

it was meant to be an easy ride :roll:

EDIT: actually had a funny one earlier in the ride. I was riding with my mate - he's FAST (makes me look slow sort of fast). We were behind the grammar schools, just before them actually. We approach a woman on a bike, doing her best. I say over my shoulder to my mate "Are we going to be THIS lazy?" We both then blasted off into the distance. Sorry if you're on here. We were "on" tonight. When you're on, you're on.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:42 pm

Puncture (AT) 50k/hr today .. thank God my wife was home...
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:44 pm

jasonc wrote:
EDIT: actually had a funny one earlier in the ride. I was riding with my mate - he's FAST (makes me look slow sort of fast). We were behind the grammar schools, just before them actually. We approach a woman on a bike, doing her best. I say over my shoulder to my mate "Are we going to be THIS lazy?" We both then blasted off into the distance. Sorry if you're on here. We were "on" tonight. When you're on, you're on.
Ooh, if I was that woman it would have been a red flag for me to plant it and give chase....for as long as I could hang on :roll:

No commute today, just a quickish river loop before work...I'm giving the 28k average a nudge, not too bad for a solo loop, 8)
Lisa

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:40 pm

A dramatic improvement this afternoon. I had to run an errand on the way home & had good legs so turned a 10k commute into a 32k ride - commuting Jasonc style :D
Anything you can do, I can do slower

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:11 am

I'm annoyed that I've never found anyone willing to put up a chase or run a paceline on my commute to/from Ashfield and Macquarie park. I overtook one guy on a roadie along a nice straight, flat cycleway who was going almost my speed and then attempted to set a good even pace for him to follow behind but when I looked back he was like 20m behind and dropping :(

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:13 am

Mixed conditions in Melbourne yesterday afternoon for the ride home along the MYT/Darebin Creek combo. Rain just before I left and cool, then sunny and warm, then cloudy, and a final downpour for the last 5km.
Cold start at 5C this morning, but dry.
Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:53 am

magpie strike riding on the roma st parklands shared path this morning. hit the helmet. wind was very gusty

nuclear_rider

Postby nuclear_rider » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:24 am

Did an extended commute this morning via Bobbin Head. Was overtaken a goodfew times coming up the hill! I thinkdon't feel too bad as my bike weighs a good 20kg and I'm a good 20kg heavier than the blokes that overtook me! Need to get a good windbreaker vest.

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:14 am

TailWind wrote:Mixed conditions in Melbourne yesterday afternoon for the ride home along the MYT/Darebin Creek combo. Rain just before I left and cool, then sunny and warm, then cloudy, and a final downpour for the last 5km.
Cold start at 5C this morning, but dry.
Happy Friday! :D
hahaha, melbourne weather, you gotta love it!

Had a misty rain ride in this morning, didn't get too wet though because the head wind kept drying me out :roll:

And it's that time of year again, last night got a photo of a dirty tree rat.. What useless animals they are...

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:45 am

Was having a good ride home from work yesterday until my rear derailleur locked up and popped the chain into the spokes, breaking a spoke and gouging up the rest of the spokes on the drive side of the wheel :evil: :evil: :evil:

Time for a rebuild or new wheel methinks - if i buy a new wheelset, then at least i can use it on a new bike down the track. It looks like i'll be building up my strength commuting on the mtb for a while...

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:59 am

Yesterday was beautiful weather in the morning, not too chilly, but around lunchtime it changed dramatically. Started getting thunder, didnt see the lightening, and it bucketed down. Winds were strong too.

I actually approached someone in the office to see if I could get a lift home and had one. Then, about 5 minutes before I normally leave to ride home, I looked outside, it was overcast but not raining, and thought you lazy bugger, just ride home. So I told my lift it was no longer needed, that I was going to brave it. Then whilst packing up to go home, I realised I had no flat changing equipment at all, I had left the little bag holding everything at home. Was able to score some tyre levers off another person, but had a pump and some spare tubes in my bag already.

Didnt want to hit wet roads and a 45 k trip without some tyre changing capability.

Mantra all the way home was "I am going to have a dry ride and flat free ride"...repeated that a few times. And it worked lol. The biggest upside to my ride was that the winds had turned and I ended up getting a decent tailwind for 30 k's of the ride. At around the 30 k mark I came over a hill and the wind changed, smacked me head on and really slowed me down..but I stayed dry.

Oh and had a magpie swoop me once..made me get up out of the saddle and peddled hard to get out of range.

This morning was simply glorious...was chilly but just a joy of a morning to be riding

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:43 pm

I had a not-normal commute, about 6ks into the CBD for a workshop/discussion rather than going to the normal office, which meant that I had to get to the velodrome by using the track bike and carrying a fully loaded backpack containing race clothes and shoes. Then after work I had a couple of ks between the station and the 'drome before and after racing.

Not a very pleasant way to get to work compared to any of my other bikes, even with a front brake added. The extra gear inches really made the slow work a grind when one is heading for a conference and therefore not trying to get sweaty (which I do really easily), and the minimalist padding on the seat didn't work well with work pants on. :shock: I respect fixie riders (well, not the many trendoids seen breaking all the rules and smarming off around town) but the bikes definitely don't fit my personal preference for commuting. The CX bike is definitely my security blanket all-round unstoppable commuter.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:00 am

Uneventful ride back Friday afternoon.
This morning, Melbourne was rainy, drizzly and damp for most of the way in. Sets the tone for a Monday morning :roll:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Marto

Postby Marto » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:38 am

Lovely morning. I didn't feel like I had much energy, and my legs weren't wanting to work, so I took it easy in parts, but still averaged 30kmh. Not sure how that works, but I did leave 90 minutes earlier, so avoided the school drop off congestion.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:39 am

Marto wrote:Lovely morning. I didn't feel like I had much energy, and my legs weren't wanting to work, so I took it easy in parts, but still averaged 30kmh. Not sure how that works, but I did leave 90 minutes earlier, so avoided the school drop off congestion.
+1 to the lovely morning and not having any energy. i didn't average anywhere near 30 though...

Marto

Postby Marto » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:05 am

jasonc wrote:
Marto wrote:Lovely morning. I didn't feel like I had much energy, and my legs weren't wanting to work, so I took it easy in parts, but still averaged 30kmh. Not sure how that works, but I did leave 90 minutes earlier, so avoided the school drop off congestion.
+1 to the lovely morning and not having any energy. i didn't average anywhere near 30 though...
That shows that external factors have a huge influence on average speed. Closer to school drop off time, I'm crawling along behind lines of cars in the narrow parts of Oxley Road, and around St Peters at Indooroopilly.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:28 am

Marto wrote:
jasonc wrote:
That shows that external factors have a huge influence on average speed. Closer to school drop off time, I'm crawling along behind lines of cars in the narrow parts of Oxley Road, and around St Peters at Indooroopilly.
but I never average 30 :D

westab

Postby westab » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:39 am

Had a good ride in this morning - was as flat as a tack due to lack of sleep.

no.1 kid woke at 11pm with the tummy bug going around and kept being sick till 3am - feel very sorry for her. Was glad to clear out the cobwebs with the ride.

Might have to go for a ride at lunch time to keep the mind working.

Looking forward to the ride home. :D
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:34 pm

Ride home Friday night... bonked about 2/3 of the long way home. Had about 4hrs sleep each night last week and didn't eat too well. Felt much better this morning after a rested weekend. Was the first confident ride on the new bike this morning too... a quick trip up Highgate hill and down to Riverside drive. Just need to tweak the pads to eliminate a bit of squealing and should be good.

Weather is great this time of year in SEQLD for morning rides... might do a lateish river loop in the morning. Leaving from 7am from the UQ side of the Green Bridge.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:37 pm

cut off by a moffat van this afternoon heading outbound sylvan rd at the cnr of jephson st toowong. driver turned left straight in front of me after driving past me. grrr