How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

DavidS

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby DavidS » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:29 pm

fat and old wrote:
DavidS wrote:Into a stiff wind on the way in and . . . into a stiff wind on the way home.

Just not fair. you must have left early Fat and Old, the wind turned Southerly in the afternoon.

DS
Yeah, but you had it made yesty arvo. I almost died :lol:
Hmm, low 40s down Beach Rd with little effort, that was nice. All too rare though. Today was a bit rugged along the beach what with a howling Westerly and all.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:09 pm

calf felt a bit sore after my ride saturday. went to the physio this arvo. grade 1 tear. so i'm off the bike for the rest of the week

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:39 am

jasonc wrote:calf felt a bit sore after my ride saturday. went to the physio this arvo. grade 1 tear. so i'm off the bike for the rest of the week
That's karma for you - commenting on a blokes high heel shoes... [emoji3]
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:59 am

Second day of Fat Bike commuting week in the lead up to Global Fatbike day.

Makes for a fun ride in but would get expensive if I did it year round with $150 tyres :shock:

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:56 am

Two for the price of a lot. 25km on bike one and I dropped the chain onto the spokes (new build - my bad with RD adjustment). One $67 Uber Black later I was back home ready for round two. Different bike, glorious weather, late start. Not too much to complain about. 37 degrees for the commute home. "Interesting" day.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

kb

Postby kb » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:21 pm

Windy last night. Rider in front of me had her bike blow over at the lights and everything fall out of her handlebar basket. I knew there was a reason for a top tube.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:36 pm

It was a 2 banker ride home. Banker #1 was a MGIF on a bicycle - heading west off Anzac Bridge, the best he could manage was to pull up alongside me, I'm doing about 25 km/h so it is not a steep climb, luck if it is 2% for for less than 50m, but this legend was on the wrong side of the path coming up to the blind right hand turn onto Victoria Rd. I couldn't care less if he passed me, but I do care about the safety of innocent cyclists coming the other way so I eased off, whereupon he died & slowed down to about 15 km/h on the flat. I did make some pointed comments as I rode past.

Banker #2 was a member of Hell's Accountants. As I am rolling along a bit over 50 km/h (yes it was downhill, how did you guess ?) he close shaves me on this moto before indicating that I should be on the footpath, because that's the place to do 5km under the speed limit. I indicated that he was a banker & what he could do to himself & the horse he rode in on. It's people like him that give self flagellaters a bad name.

These things usually come in threes. Perhaps I should ride with my trusty cricket bat tomorrow
Anything you can do, I can do slower

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:41 pm

Take it easy Bruce. :) !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! are everywhere as the temperature heat up.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:23 pm

^ooops, I just noticed the word I used there is inappropriate. Sorry :)
Anyway, Bruce, you have that word in your Strava Ride too. Lol

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:51 am

rheicel wrote:^ooops, I just noticed the word I used there is inappropriate. Sorry :)
Anyway, Bruce, you have that word in your Strava Ride too. Lol
No word sensors on Strava rheicel :D The bankers were probably out there again yesterday, but I didn't have to deal with any of them, so it was like they didn't exist.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:58 am

Speaking of bankers, the guy driving this ute stopped momentarily when I had my off yesterday and yelled 'banker' before speeding away. He didn't ask or check that I was OK, so I'm putting him into that category.

https://vimeo.com/147524046" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The financial sector seems to be getting larger and larger... [emoji6]
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:44 am

On bike again today. Sad face emoticon for not riding enough.

Taking it easy on fixed gear when I got caught napping and passed just after a chicane/road crossing. It did get me to up my pace a little and I stayed with the carbon roadie that past me until the entry to work. Pretty unusual to see a roadie on the sharepath, even more unusual to have one pass me. Will have to do some Strava flyby stalking later.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:01 pm

Fun ride in this morning, overgeared effort for the first 10km, bit of a rest then caning it for the next 5 km to needlessly pass cars. A couple of sprints to get past a tram (and make it stick), then the usual fun along LaTrobe Street with one driver in particular getting a bit sore that he was stuck in a line of traffic near the building site just before Queen Street through which a cyclist could easily filter :twisted:

Went the long way home this evening via the Yarra and then the Boulevard with a colleague. Arrived home as a sweaty mess, but throughly enjoyed it - awesome weather for a longer ride this afternoon/evening.
Last edited by WhingingPom on Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:27 pm

Yes, very pleasant conditions in Melbourne today. Not too much wind along the beach.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

kb

Postby kb » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:45 am

WhingingPom wrote:Fun ride in this morning, overgeared effort for the first 10km, bit of a rest then caning it for the next 5 km to needlessly pass cars. A couple of sprints to get past a tram (and make it stick), then the usual fun along LaTrobe Street with one driver in particular getting a bit sore that he was stuck in a line of traffic near the building site just before Queen Street through which a cyclist could easily filter :twisted:

Went the long way home this evening via the Yarra and then the Boulevard with a colleague. Arrived home as a sweaty mess, but throughly enjoyed it - awesome weather for a longer ride this afternoon/evening.
I was tooted several times on the Boulevard by a gesticulating lady who couldn't believe I wouldn't get off the road for her. The police car going the other way wasn't interested in the horn abuse, though to be fair they did have their lights on :-). Got to the separated path in all of 20s and the motorist continued at 30kph holding up 3 cars behind her even though the road was clear. Huh.

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:42 pm

This morning's "commute" was a 55km ride along the Moonee Ponds Creek Trail from the start in Craigieburn all the way down to Docklands. Maybe not the brightest idea after yesterday afternoon's 45km smashfest with a work colleague, but I've decided to "train" for 10,000km this year. If I make it, I'll be happy, if not I'm "training" for next year :lol:

Rode across Melbourne to one of our other offices this afternoon. Possibly a worse idea than this morning's ride. Arrived dripping wet and only just about in a fit state for the meeting I had. Ride home was slow and hot. Took a wrong turn and ended up on Hoddle Street instead of Brunswick St. Put a bit of effort in early on, but decided it was too hot to go hard, especially with my "Friday backpack" so just turned the cranks until I ended up at home.

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:07 am

First commute to work in 6 weeks. By the time I shower and get sorted it's marginally less time than catching public transport! Home took a little longer despite a good tail wind and the last few kms were pretty hard and I was ravenous - hadn't had time to eat properly during the day.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:32 am

Pretty warm this morning, legs were tired so no records were set. Enjoying my coffee and the fact that my commute will soon become about 10km or so, the majority of it on quiet cycleways. I'll be able to wake up late and still get to work early, and get home even earlier. 8)

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:13 am

Was having a great ride in this morning with an awesome tailwind until I found out that City of Hume have decided to destroy part of the Moonee Ponds Creek trail. For some reason, my brain saw the dug up path, the "BRIDGE CLOSED" sign and took that to mean I needed to cross the bridge.

It wasn't until I was about 500m the other side of the bridge that I realised that I'd never crossed the creek at that point before and should probably go back the way I came. Cleaned the mud out of my cleats for the second time that morning and went on my merry way for a blast through the storm drain near docklands.

kiso

Postby kiso » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:11 pm

Caught an insect in my mouth for the second day running. :shock: Not intentionally. Perhaps I shouldn't ride with my mouth open.
John

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:07 pm

mmm protein

koshari

Postby koshari » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:51 pm

kiso wrote:Caught an insect in my mouth for the second day running. :shock: Not intentionally. Perhaps I shouldn't ride with my mouth open.
Hard when your climbing hills and blowing for breaths. I swallowed one the other week and its the worst thing when your strying to regurgitate it up while still attempting to get up a hill :-(

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:26 am

Moths and flies are OK, the bit that bothers me is that I don't see them coming. Swallowing a bee or wasp might not be so good.

Hmmm, grasshopper, mmm , crunchy protein... Getting hungry now.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:23 pm

WhingingPom wrote:I've decided to "train" for 10,000km this year. If I make it, I'll be happy, if not I'm "training" for next year :lol:
You only started in February or March yeah? That's some solid k's 8)

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:37 pm

fat and old wrote:
WhingingPom wrote:I've decided to "train" for 10,000km this year. If I make it, I'll be happy, if not I'm "training" for next year :lol:
You only started in February or March yeah? That's some solid k's 8)
Yep, my first 50km+ week was 16th Feb. Having the 60km round trip commute helps, but I'm still 850km short. Might have to do a few more 80km weekdays between now and Christmas! :lol: