How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

TailWind

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:55 pm

Multi-hop commute for me on Friday. Copped some rain after a lay-over at my brother's place, but nothing dramatic.
I seemed to be in reasonable shape for a Friday afternoon, judging by the speed check gizmo on one of the suburban streets I use (it's a flat section too :) )

Single digit temp (9C) for the start this morning. Cool, calm and generally pleasant. Good start to the week, hooray.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

alexander

Postby alexander » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:13 am

Melburn: 13º SE wind 5-10km. Sunny. Footscray to CBD 7:15am

I noticed after the daylight savings shift, that the sun is directly in my eyes on the way in, and on the way home. Put on a cap this morning which worked perfectly, just like the sun visor in your car. Lovely morning, nice and crisp. Took it easier this morning, as I'm still not feeling 100% in the legs. Only thing that irritated me this morning was the few "heroes" this morning who love tearing past and double overtaking through docklands on their crappy MTB's. Seriously? :roll:
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:40 am

Nice ride in this morning. Lovely ride home last night at around 8PM with hardly any traffic. Just a pedestrian walking his dog on Albert St who crossed against the lights and was about to walk into my path on the downhill bike lane, but saw me and stopped in the middle of the road... After I'd already taken evasive action to go around behind him. I think he mumbled some carp, but couldn't hear what he said. His precious small dog was never in any danger.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:55 am

Got wet on the way home yesterday. Had no choice but to leave when I did. The rain wasn't heavy for most of the way but it stopped when I got home, and the ground was only just wet when I left. Oh well, them's the breaks.

This morning was cool, 15-17ish depending on which weather station you look at. Locked up the rear after a lead-less dog decided to turn around and look like it was headed across my path. Otherwise it's nice to be out.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:22 am

Lovely afternoon in Melbs yesterday. Naturally all sorts hit the trails with their mutts in tow, leashed and unleashed. Needed to swerve around a couple of loose canines, but all ok.
Cool start this morning at 9C, colder along the creeks, but not too uncomfortable.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:05 pm

Today was meant to be my group ride, but after driving up to Armidale last Wednesday and back on Sunday (I left the bike at work Tuesday night once the weather started, so brought it home on the train last night) I felt like death warmed up this morning and so I had a slow roll in to work.

I'm going to try extending the ride tonight to put some more kms on the legs.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

kab

Postby kab » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:14 pm

I've been away for a month working, it was good to be back on the bike this morning. I was very slow.

Sent from my Slider SL101 using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:00 am

Due to travel and other commitments I haven't done a cycling kit wash for a while.

So, this morning I was getting ready for work and grabbed an "aspirational" kit I bought last year when I started cycling - which is one size smaller than my regualr gear (Medium vs Large). It fit perfectly, compared to last time wear the jersey was so tight I had bib-knick lines showing through.

This put me in a great mood for my commute in, as did the guy who told me "you have some great power off the line!" when we were stopped at lights. Maybe I should try sprinting instead of climbing? :D

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:03 am

My first commute since hernia surgery this morning, ears and feet cold, everything else OK, my cheap eBay winter tights/jersey did the job but time will tell what other gear I'm going to come to need (it was probably 6-7 degrees this morning).

Overshoes and something to wrap around my ears and everything should be good for a while.

1h15m as well which is pretty good compared to some of my other morning commutes.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:44 am

I'd much prefer sprinting to climbing. I don't like climbing. :P

This morning was 'Smash Your Previous Record for the Number of Cars You Pass' Day. So many cars going absolutely nowhere as they're stuck in traffic. Bike lane for the win! :mrgreen:

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:58 am

Happy to see the sun today, but broke another rear wheel spoke :shock: . Workshop will fix this one for the evening ride home, but if it happens again then the wheel is going back to the factory under warranty. Did I mention how handy it is to have the LBS one block from work?

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:27 pm

Summernight wrote:I'd much prefer sprinting to climbing. I don't like climbing. :P

This morning was 'Smash Your Previous Record for the Number of Cars You Pass' Day. So many cars going absolutely nowhere as they're stuck in traffic. Bike lane for the win! :mrgreen:
I'm not sure why Albert Street was so full today! It was lovely passing soooo many cars :D

alexander

Postby alexander » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:43 pm

Melburn: 11º, Foggy, No wind. 7:15am, FTY-CBD

Quite chilly this morning, but I learnt from last night the gabba jersey is just too hot right now. Needs to be below 15º or wind+rain to really warrant the jersey. So nano flex arm warmers, bib short nano flex, SS jersey, wool socks and long finger gloves and I was perfect. Really felt sluggish this morning, but thats due to the 90 min workout last night (after my ride home) which I lost nearly a kilo in sweat from.

Leading up to Easter and the roads are getting quieter. Still the same amount of cyclists though?

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:11 pm

Excellent commute conditions both mornings and afternoons in Melbourne at the moment. Cool, calm and dry.
One can only hope that the remainder of autumn will continue this way.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:15 pm

TailWind wrote:Excellent commute conditions both mornings and afternoons in Melbourne at the moment. Cool, calm and dry.
Dry season looks to have finally hit Brisbane. Perfect weather, again. (and I've got 100kms on you TW)

Whorl

Postby Whorl » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:17 pm

jasonc wrote: Dry season looks to have finally hit Brisbane. Perfect weather, again. (and I've got 100kms on you TW)
This morning was lovely, and my legs are finally almost recovered from gym session. :)

And have not missed a bike commute since I started just over a month ago. Definitely the highlight of the working day.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:18 pm

jasonc wrote:(and I've got 100kms on you TW)
Hmm, so I see. Serves me right, I've shortened my afternoon commute by 10km since a few weeks ago due to time pressure (and being a bit slack, admittedly :oops: )

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:34 pm

TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote:(and I've got 100kms on you TW)
Hmm, so I see. Serves me right, I've shortened my afternoon commute by 10km since a few weeks ago due to time pressure (and being a bit slack, admittedly :oops: )
get slacker - 100kms isn't enough. If you add back 10kms a day, I'm stuffed.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:03 pm

Stopped by my friendly neighbourhood hardware megawarehouse en-route home last night, hoping to solve the tail light mounting problem I’ve had – using the existing rack mount it is too low + now the mudguard is in the way, there's no good way to attach to the rackbag without it flipping / flopping / taking flying leaps. So I’ve bolted a little galvanized bracket to the underside of the rack with the aid of a couple of spacers from an old set of brake pads and now it sits nicely against the back of the rackbag. OK, looks a bit ghetto on close inspection but so far it works ::self high five::

Interesting ride in this morning, there are a few characters in local folklore (Mr Angrypants among them) … who seem to just ride around abusing people, well I think I met one this morning. As I was heading up the approach to Loftus St closely behind another bloke, a guy riding the opposite way along the footpath heading into Old Aberdeen very stridently declared for no apparent reason that either/both of our heads were made of faecal material. Alrighty then, bro :|

The Kwinana PSP detour got extended down to Cale St last week – so heading south, it seems I have a choice between a steep, narrow overpass against peak oncoming flow, or extend the detour through the station at Canning Bridge. The latter seems the less-worse option …
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Dean Learner

Postby Dean Learner » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:40 pm

Got down to the bike rack at the same time as a workmate who lives all of 500m from my place. A nice 10k roll home discussing kids, family, Easter and nothing about work. Perfect.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:49 pm

Thought I had spotted an elusive suburban cycle chic this morning, when she paused to thin about which way she was going, and promptly fell over. No harm done & nothing worse than a bruised ego, but the air of chic had disappeared :)
Anything you can do, I can do slower

alexander

Postby alexander » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:57 pm

Dean Learner wrote:Got down to the bike rack at the same time as a workmate who lives all of 500m from my place. A nice 10k roll home discussing kids, family, Easter and nothing about work. Perfect.
Completely and utterly jealous. The people I work with are self absorbed, rude, dismissive, cliquey, and as a group always give me the usual, "you're a cyclist, how come all of you run reds and break the law".

For me the commute gives me a chance to forget how much I don't like them. But I ride alone, and sometimes it would be nice to have a buddy to ride with.

Dean Learner

Postby Dean Learner » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:03 pm

Sounds like time for a new job/career change there Alexander. I pinch myself about the ever increasing number and variety of cyclists in my office. Got called into the bosses office the other day to discuss what new handlebars he should get and had a client ask if I had 5 minutes to meet him at the bike shop around the corner today.

Perhaps just a lucky industry choice as we do seem to be tipped heavily in favour of cyclists (surveyors, enviros and planners if you care so it's all development, construction and mining, which makes it's even more surprising for bunch of hi vis wearing ute drivers but it seems pretty common across the industry from what I've seen).

Enjoy the Easter break and some time on the bike and away from your charming colleagues, sounds like you're better off they're not cyclists or you'd end up spending more time with them.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:24 am

TailWind wrote:Excellent commute conditions both mornings and afternoons in Melbourne at the moment. Cool, calm and dry.
Yep, the advantage of winter is certainly less wind. Still warm enough for just shorts and a T shirt for me. The vest doesn't come out until it drops to single figures and the full jacket at about 5 degrees.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:28 am

got a flat from a tack just outside St Lucia Uni today. Riding buddy and I both picked up a handful of them. hopefully we got them all