How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Thrilloilogy

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Thrilloilogy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:46 pm

Had a guy suck my wheel on the commute home today - which normally annoys me. But we had a chat and he thanked me! Just wish he did a bit of the hard yakka!

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:58 pm

Got soaked in the last 10 minutes of my ride home today . . . should have left work earlier, maybe even on time, but that ain't going to happen anytime soon.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:22 am

Busted a spoke on the front wheel on the final climb home. It's a short 10% climb and I guess I was loading the front wheel a bit as I was out of the saddle. Luckily it was a short ride home from there, and as a 32-spoke front wheel the wobble wasn't too great in any case.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:56 am

I got pooed on by a bird this morning.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:12 am

jasonc wrote:I got pooed on by a bird this morning.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_it_con ... you#slide1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:36 pm

Nothing of any great importance to report as my commutes have all been totally routine. The bike has developed some unusual noises so it’s time to give it a good check over.

My front Tannus tyre at almost 7,000 kms is looking decidedly worn but should get to something well in excess of 10,000 kms. The rear tyre at 4,400 kms is also looking worn. I’d say that the front tyre will make it to around 12,000 kms and the rear probably around 8,000.

My commute extension from 30 kms (return) to 59 kms (return) is still a chore but not so much that I’ve abandoned the idea of going the whole hog and riding all the way to work 70 kms return. All going well I hope to give it a try within the next couple of weeks.

The extra distance plus a more careful diet (lots of vegetables) should see Hamster begin to shrink somewhat.

So far for the year I’m up to 9,463 kms so should make it to 10,000 for the year.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:48 pm

Hamster wrote:My front Tannus tyre at almost 7,000 kms is looking decidedly worn but should get to something well in excess of 10,000 kms. The rear tyre at 4,400 kms is also looking worn. I’d say that the front tyre will make it to around 12,000 kms and the rear probably around 8,000.
Makes the marathon plus tyres look good (my front MP is up to 12625.25kms, last rear got 8267.98). So far 1 puncture, caused by a 1 inch nail between 3 tyres)

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:47 pm

Thrilloilogy wrote:Had a guy suck my wheel on the commute home today - which normally annoys me. But we had a chat and he thanked me! Just wish he did a bit of the hard yakka!
I'd be quite happy to have someone suck my wheel. In the 15 years of riding to work I have only had 5 days where someone ride with me for part of my commute.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:49 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
Thrilloilogy wrote:Had a guy suck my wheel on the commute home today - which normally annoys me. But we had a chat and he thanked me! Just wish he did a bit of the hard yakka!
I'd be quite happy to have someone suck my wheel. In the 15 years of riding to work I have only had 5 days where someone ride with me for part of my commute.
come and do a few rides with me

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:55 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:I'd be quite happy to have someone suck my wheel. In the 15 years of riding to work I have only had 5 days where someone ride with me for part of my commute.
You're not riding enough :roll: :lol:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:30 pm

eldavo wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:I'd be quite happy to have someone suck my wheel. In the 15 years of riding to work I have only had 5 days where someone ride with me for part of my commute.
You're not riding enough :roll: :lol:
It's just where I live that commuting via bike is not high on many peoples priority lists.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:51 pm

tough day - 95kms with ~1500m of climbing

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:54 pm

just worked out - 12k for the year commuting

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:53 am

jasonc wrote:tough day - 95kms with ~1500m of climbing
A taste of things to come for next year's challenge? :shock: This is gretaboy type mileage...

Had a new cassette, chain and chainring fitted at work on Thursday, and the new drive train had its inaugural rain ride the same afternoon. Light rain all the way home.
Needed to be in Sydney on Friday, so no commute that day. Took a cab from the airport to Woollahra during morning peak hour...crazy traffic. Spotted only one cyclist around the Paddington area.

Warm in Melbourne for the commute into the CBD, came across one of the fox cubs on the Darebin Creek Trail again. This time it jumped onto the path from my left, dashed along ahead of me for a few seconds before diving into the underbrush. Seemed fairly busy on the roads today...perhaps the warm overnight temp at people getting up early.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:59 am

TailWind wrote:
A taste of things to come for next year's challenge? :shock: This is gretaboy type mileage...
can't do that every day. I was still 20 or so minutes from work and my wife was sms'ing me wondering where the hell I was.

Perfect weather in Brissy this morning

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:04 am

jasonc wrote:
TailWind wrote:
can't do that every day.
Thats what I thought when I first started commuting just one way...how in earth could I also ride home, given how much pain I felt each arvo just riding 2 k from the train station to home....you get used to it :)

Was planning to take things a little easy this morning due to racing yesterday...however my "harden up" flag got raised early in the commute so I pushed it a bit. Felt like a had the tiniest of headwinds all the way but still averaged 32.9 or so which I was really happy with. Weather was just brlliant, even though it was a little cool at the start.

Now for the commute home :)...see how my legs pull up as a result of this morning.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:08 am

gretaboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:can't do that every day.
Thats what I thought when I first started commuting just one way...
It's not the distance, it's the climbing that I can't do every day.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:22 am

Commute this morning was spoiled by... Having to get to work. Perfect morning, wanted to keep pedalling.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

westab

Postby westab » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:57 am

bychosis wrote:Commute this morning was spoiled by... Having to get to work. Perfect morning, wanted to keep pedalling.
+1 - good news is we both get to do it again this afternoon. Hopefully in the same conditions (I am going to be late home if they are.) :D
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:41 am

Unlikely, typical NE will probably blow in this afternoon and make a headwind for the trip home.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:31 pm

Been a few days since my last commuting update.

Thursday night I rode home through the pre-symptoms of a migraine (although I'd dosed up on drugs at work and was hoping they'd kick in sometime soon). Said symptoms were altered vision:- inability to see in peripheral vision (which went away before I left work luckily) and during the ride I got altered sensations (which is another symptom of my migraines and sometimes includes a pins and needles feeling) and I couldn't feel my hands. Which was a very weird feeling when riding.

Got home, took it easy and the drugs kicked in so it didn't go full blown headache and vomiting. Woohoo!

I think it is the heat. Especially at night (no air-con, which will be rectified when I purchase my own house sometime in the future).

Friday was uneventful. This morning my legs felt like lead and it was a struggle to do my morning jog prior to the ride to work. Riding didn't feel any better.

I need to check the tightness of the seat bolt as a sound from what seems to be the pedal is intermittently squeaking and the only thing I've changed recently was the seat angle.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:19 pm

My commute was completely uneventful, unlike the poor chap stopped at Queens Square whose derailleur had done a turtle impression and swallowed a plastic bag. He was trying to pull the remnants out from the jockey wheels, cassette etc. Bleah
Anything you can do, I can do slower

myforwik

Postby myforwik » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:16 pm

I had so much crap happen today.

Stopped at green light, and when I got green car opposite me, turning across me, kept nudging forward making me have to swerve around them. So I went extra slow.

Had a kid run right out in front of me, i don't know how I missed him, I was lucky I was properly covering both front and back brakes and instantly slammed them on. I'd say the front tyre missed his leg by about 2cm.

Was riding down the shoulder in heavy traffic and there was a parked truck, I'm weighing up if it was safe to sqeeze down the line when it starts reversing and swings its nose out.

At one point my camera fell off. I noticed about 1km later and started to retrace my steps and eventually spotted it in an intersection where I had gone over some of those stupid edge reflector things. The plastic mounting bracked cracked. Camera still works but didn't get footage of the drop because it seems to have locked up/lost power on impact?

I start hereing a ting ting noice and stop and find one spoke completely lose.

Worst of all I had to stop twice on the way back at the top of hills because I am so unfit. Maybe I should just get an e-bike :-P
What I don't understand is why it seems to hard to get back home, on the way there I felt on top of the world and barely built up a sweat. The return jurney nearly broke me. Its interesting that the return journey is more downhill than uphill, but the uphills are very steep. While the journey out is more uphill, but its gentle, with the fast downhills.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:41 pm

myforwik wrote: Maybe I should just get an e-bike :-P
maybe you should just get a bike fit for purpose!
commute wheels are meant to be strong, not losing spokes
camera mount - was that the plastic gopro one?

Thrilloilogy

Postby Thrilloilogy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:03 pm

Had a car drive round the wrong side of the road round a 90 degree turn and almost take me out right at the beginning of my ride this morning. It was overtaking a cyclist coming the otherway. Moral of the story for the driver - only overtake when you can see what is in the other lane.

This incident put me on edge and made my tolerance lower for other nonsense. This included an older chap who was pedalling like there was no tomorrow to get ahead and would always take the aggressive line to get in front when stopped at lights. Got fed up and I may have muttered the F-Bomb as I overtook him afterwards. To you sir, I apologise.