How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

ColinOldnCranky

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:40 pm

Perth:

All in all a week with some extra moments.

Not being at work atm, I had a pleasant ride late in this morning. The staff at Sassys remembered my birthday and treated me to some extra goodies, a lit sparkler, a chorus of "happy birthday" and hugs all around.

And checking my odometer, I will make 25,000km on the main beasty tomorrow during the bike hike.

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:07 am

find_bruce wrote: Did you say SMIDSY ? :D
Haha, had to look up what a SMIDSY was.. And yes, I did say that to him, but he just blankly looked at me and went back to his little world and then nearly collected me going into the next intersection. Lol.
ColinOldnCranky wrote:
And checking my odometer, I will make 25,000km on the main beasty tomorrow during the bike hike.
I hope that also means party time! :D my commuter will be up for its 10,000km party later in the year, so celebrating by having a party where invitees don't get through the front door unless they ride their bike :lol:

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:31 am

266 kms this week :D - feeling pleased with that but also tired.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:08 pm

Hamster wrote:266 kms this week :D - feeling pleased with that but also tired.
That's a good run... well done. :D :D

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:36 pm

Comedian wrote:
Hamster wrote:266 kms this week :D - feeling pleased with that but also tired.
That's a good run... well done. :D :D
Thanks Steve

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:54 am

Well...am back. First commute in over two weeks. Felt good and had to pull myself up a bit. I wanted to push it a bit but knew that I had another 3 days of riding to do and that this would take a bit out of me initially until I get back into the swing of commuting.

Was a good ride however, weather was great if not cool

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:57 am

welcome back gretaboy. ride in this morning was meant to be an easy one after the coot-tha challenge yesterday. unfortunately half way in the rear derailleur cable snapped. So I pushed in the high-limit screw as fat as I could and 2-speeded it to work.

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:25 am

jasonc wrote:...unfortunately half way in the rear derailleur cable snapped...
How'd that happen Jase? O.O

My trip in was uneventful. New cassette so was running up and down through the gears a bit.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:29 am

Dan wrote:
jasonc wrote:...unfortunately half way in the rear derailleur cable snapped...
How'd that happen Jase? O.O
pushed the lever and there was no tension
just wear and tear - it's done ~9000kms

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:23 am

Replacement GoPro froze this morning (brings back bad memories of the original GoPro that this one replaced because the original had this ongoing problem). I did an on-the-go unfreeze while waiting for a long light 5 minutes into my commute and it worked after that. Not sure why it froze. Really hoping I didn't get a malfunctioning camera to replace my malfunctioning camera. I've had it for a few weeks now and no problems so fingers crossed that was a once off.

Chill in the air this morning again - my favourite type of commute. I would like to commend all the cyclists and cars waiting at the corner of Spring and MacArthur/Collins Street who heard the firetruck coming up behind them from the fire station near Victoria Street and all waited patiently and politely for the truck to go past before we went through our green. Very civilised. :)

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:08 pm

I enjoyed the ride in from Box Hill to St Kilda Rd this morning. I'm really getting to know Mont Albert Rd very well. The chill in the air is always refreshing (and welcome). I just can't wait until we exit daylight savings so there is a little more sun before halfway through my ride :)

PB on my route this morning - very chuffed.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:10 pm

The bonus round this morning was really good, ended up doing a lap out to Richmond and then into work, hit around 78kms in. Another 25 home including an extra lap of Parramatta Park to ensure I hit 100 for the day, looking good for this week. Also a really helpful ride in that I worked out exactly how many matches I have been burning and where I tank on the Saturday bunch ride... going to need to hold fire a bit more to ensure I get one last hill!

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:30 pm

gretaboy wrote:Well...am back. First commute in over two weeks. Felt good and had to pull myself up a bit. I wanted to push it a bit but knew that I had another 3 days of riding to do and that this would take a bit out of me initially until I get back into the swing of commuting.

Was a good ride however, weather was great if not cool
Welcome back gretaboy. No super long-haul commutes from me in your absence, so I've barely dented your lead in the challenge.

Pretty straightforward and uneventful commmute this morning.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:56 pm

rear derailleur cable replaced. wasn't too bad on the way home. definitely not 100% but it's ok. it got me home

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:17 pm

My strava machine tells me I hit 72.0km/h on the way home. Um, no.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:24 pm

Dan wrote:My strava machine tells me I hit 72.0km/h on the way home. Um, no.
down coot-tha?

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:30 pm

jasonc wrote:
down coot-tha?
Along George street o__O

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:41 pm

Dan wrote:
jasonc wrote:
down coot-tha?
Along George street o__O
umm, yeah right, sure. did you get the KOM? :shock:

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:09 pm

Same machine more correctly tells me I averaged 14.3km/h over 300m. I think it just makes it up as it goes along.

VRE

Postby VRE » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:33 am

I replaced my BB yesterday, and that, combined with the cleaning and brake cable re-clamping I did on the weekend, means my commuter bike is running like the well-oiled and maintained machine that it is :) . Pretty good for a bike that's done almost 60,000km over 4.5 years. The Vivente World Randonneur is a nice bike.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:34 am

Smashing ride yesterday morning. Slotted in behind a bloke going up Gladstone rd. Got waved through at the top and had really quick run down Dormoch. He was attached to my wheel when I got to the bottom, so up the power down all the way along riverside drive to GOMA in order to drop him. lost him by the boatsheds. Felt great and strong and we a few PRs.

Showered, coffeed and felt a bit of abdomen strain. Went to GP at lunch expecting a muscle strain or something. Now in the hospital awaiting Surgery to get the appendix out. Cat-scan shows inflamed appendix and Dr said if I left it any longer there would've been a chance of a rupture.

So won't be commuting for a few weeks. Not impressed.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:37 am

clydesmcdale wrote:Smashing ride yesterday morning. Slotted in behind a bloke going up Gladstone rd. Got waved through at the top and had really quick run down Dormoch. He was attaché for my wheel when I got to the bottom, so up the power down all the way along riverside drive to GOMA in order to drop him. lost him by the boatsheds. Felt great and strong and we a few PRs.

Showered, coffeed and felt a bit of abdomen strain. Went to GP at lunch expecting a muscle strain or something. Now in the hospital awaiting Surgery to get the appendix out. Cat-scan shows inflamed appendix and Dr said if I left it any longer there would've been a chance of a rupture.

had my appendix out - not the worst op/recovery. do nothing for the first week, then start walking in the second week. hope you feel better

legs are starting to recover. perfect weather in Brisbane. a slight crispness in the air.

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am

clydesmcdale wrote:Smashing ride yesterday morning. Slotted in behind a bloke going up Gladstone rd. Got waved through at the top and had really quick run down Dormoch. He was attached to my wheel when I got to the bottom, so up the power down all the way along riverside drive to GOMA in order to drop him. lost him by the boatsheds. Felt great and strong and we a few PRs.

Pffft htfu ;)

Hope it all goes well - close call!!

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:02 am

My legs are already feeling the commuting. Seemed really slow this morning. Had heavy thick fog this morning and combined with early morning darkness, I was hoping the cars/trucks would seem my flashing rear light in plenty of time.

Over the weekend just gone I rode both sat and sun, not all that long a rides, but also had swapped out my commute tyres for slick road tyres. I think half my slowness issue this morning is due to the mental thinking that my commute tyres have so much more resistance/drag. The use of slick road tyres was the first time in over a year or more and I was surprised at how quick they rolled, my riding seemed effortless...scored a few strava KOM's as a result.

I am happy to be back on the marathon plus tyres however as I know they will get me to and from work with minimal punctures.

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:44 am

GoPro wouldn't start, forgot my water bottles and didn't realise til about 6km from home and local council still hasn't cleaned up a mess of glass on the road. So I left the GoPro at home, stopped and bought a bottle of water at the servo in the next town, used Snap, Send, Solve to report glass to the council and still had a great ride into work. Have booked in for a bike fit this afternoon as moving to cleats has changed how I sit on the bike and I want to get everything comfy again.