How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

gretaboy

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:06 am

cool start to the morning again. was an uneventful ride, thinking the body might be flatlining a bit, the last couple of weeks I have been doing a steady average of 29-30 k's for my rides and I think I need to change things up a bit to shock the body

ride home is very different to commute in morning..in the arvo I do go for strava koms in between taking it easy if I am feeling good, and I do have stretches where I have to go hard if I wish to survive so these at least give me sprint work lol

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:07 am

killed my self

yesterday road for about 4 hours, 2 hours of that was mtb'in in the pineforest

went hard this morning, a little to hard to early, and pretty sure i burnt out at the 10km mark, still managed a 31 km av but am very sore :(

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:16 am

after comedian made a mess of me yesterday (and then riding with 2 of the fastest blokes in Brisbane on 2 wheels for the commute home), I took the opportunity to load lug and do a recovery commute. perfect weather this morning but now the clouds have come over.

EDIT: stopped and helped a guy over the green bridge whose chain had fallen off

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:28 am

20 hour work day yesterday...working from home today... no rides :(
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:43 am

TailWind wrote:20 hour work day yesterday...working from home today... no rides :(
The day is young, don't be too hasty!

Nice ride this AM. Nice chat down Spit Hill at 15km/h griping about non-school holiday traffic (must've been the six bikes holding up all those cars, right?). Decided to ride Tabby as she hasn't been out in 2013 yet. Two compliments on the bike, and one long stare. She's too clean for a commuter!

Jim

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:01 am

Summernight wrote:
TailWind wrote:Ride back via MYT, Banyule Trail etc. Pleasant day for the longer route.
Inbound into the Melb CBD via the Darebin Trail. Enjoyable conditions again.

Edit: MTBer showing me up descending the steps on the MYT at the Chandler Highway.
Do you ride the stairs too or hop off? I haven't seen any cyclists attempt the Abbotsford stairs which are underneath the Gipps St(?) bridge MYT crossing although I only go running through there in the morning when most cyclists are going up them to work so they might do so in the evenings. :lol:
No suspension on the commuter, on 700x25 commuting wheels, panniers....heck no, I trundle the bike down the gutter :shock:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:54 am

TailWind wrote:
Summernight wrote:Do you ride the stairs too or hop off? I haven't seen any cyclists attempt the Abbotsford stairs which are underneath the Gipps St(?) bridge MYT crossing although I only go running through there in the morning when most cyclists are going up them to work so they might do so in the evenings. :lol:
No suspension on the commuter, on 700x25 commuting wheels, panniers....heck no, I trundle the bike down the gutter :shock:
I point you to that youtube clip of the talented cyclist on the Pinarello doing amazing things and say to you "I Dare you". :lol:
(With someone else's bike obviously...)

The commute to work was fine apart from one car starting to inch into the bicycle lane on Collins Street without looking, presumably so he can get into the left turning lane. There were lots more cyclists out today (and yesterday afternoon there were so many too!). The hot weather brings them all out.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:25 pm

i love commuting by bike.

see ya, suckers :mrgreen:

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:27 pm

Toasted legs and diabolical traffic this morning made for a slow commute. Predicting another slow one tonight.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:39 pm

slow ride home. next to the vic park golf course there was a guy stopped. looked like he had a flat. he said his tube exploded. :shock:
offered him a tube but he said he was getting a lift from the rescue vehicle.

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:46 pm

jasonc wrote:slow ride home. next to the vic park golf course there was a guy stopped. looked like he had a flat. he said his tube exploded. :shock:
offered him a tube but he said he was getting a lift from the rescue vehicle.
I managed to explode a tube....I guess. The valve came out of the tube completely when I accidentally ran over a small bump (not a curb). Does that count?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:54 am

had full on rain for about 10 minutes this morning. but afterwards there was a really vivid rainbow.
noice. sorry, no photo

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:02 am

Ride home was great, stopped at Hidden Valley Race way and did a few laps with the NT cycling club, then proceeded to ride home extremely slowly

This morning was slack, got a life put the bike in the back of a ute :P will ride home this arvo!

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:43 am

Pleasant ride in via the Darebin Creek Trail this morning...scared up a fox that ran ahead of me a while alongside the path. Will see if the camera picked him up in the dark.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:44 am

Heavy storm last nite meant wet roads this morning...but luckily I did get rained on. Uneventful ride until the car at the roundabout which didnt indicate, didnt observe me already on the roundabout and decided to just join at his own free will...I went off verbally. Caught up to him at the next set of lights and he sheepishly waved sorry at me...I was still angry as it was a close call and he was going at speed...so my face wasnt the happiest as I indicated to him to look.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:01 am

Rode in along the Darebin Creek Trail and then tried another route through the back streets of Clifton Hill.
Cool southerly headwind all the way in had me riding a few minutes longer then normal.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:31 am

late commute after dropping my daughter at daycare. legs sore from my ride yesterday

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:13 am

jasonc wrote:late commute after dropping my daughter at daycare. legs sore from my ride yesterday
Nice to say hi!

I too was shattered after the afternoons MTB extravaganza at crazy hill!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:17 am

Comedian wrote:
jasonc wrote:late commute after dropping my daughter at daycare. legs sore from my ride yesterday
Nice to say hi!

I too was shattered after the afternoons MTB extravaganza at crazy hill!
don't worry if i stopped, I may not have made it to work. went the hi-5 but got left hanging

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:32 am

got a commute in this morning, after popping home from my riverloop. One thing I've noticed more and more is the crazy manouvres by cyclists to get ahead of cars in heavy traffic. I ride through Rosalie on Baroona Rd and then Park Rd, so spend plenty of time at the Milton Rd lights. Never ceases to amaze me how many cyclists (of all ages, abilities, sexes, bikes etc) insist on wiggling through to the front of the queue, just to be the first away at the lights. On a motorbike, that's all fine as you can speed away from the cars. However, many of these cyclists, take an age to clip in or strap in to their fixies and wobble away slowly. There's no bike lane or extra width on these roads for a car to get past a bike safely, so to me it makes sense to "claim the lane" and act like a car. I find myself passing the same people over and over and all I am doing is taking a spot in the lane and cruising along with the cars.

I can see how this behaviour grates on motorists. Just an observation, but I don't see how you can have it both ways. Take a spot and stay there or sneak along the curb, but expect cars to squeeze past you.
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:51 am

Strange commute this morning.

Lots of traffic around my home road, which is unusual. No traffic on the few main roads I have to interface with...one was even empty when I crossed it. Most unusual. And then a lot more bikes around, although I was running about 5 minutes later today. Especially odd as today is supposed to be hot as.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Morning Ride was nice and slow, after last week i need a few recover rides, tried the whole heart beat limit, nothing over 125bpm did okies averaged 26km/h over the 23 km's and felt fantastic getting of the bike!

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:44 pm

Sydney Inner West traffic was appalling this morning! I got held up everywhere and because of the traffic cars were darting in and out making it a very hard morning on the brakes! Be careful out there!

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:29 pm

This morning was a lovely easy commute from Redcliffe to Northgate Station through the Boondall Wetlands. What a lovely and varied ride it is: ocean views, bushland, housing developments, industrial estates and virtually no traffic anywhere :D .

At one point I have to cross a freeway off-ramp at Nudgee Road, a young guy in an elderly ute stopped and allowed me to cross. My faith in human nature is somewhat restored :D .

Anyway 29 kms this morning but I’ll take a shorter route this evening along Bilsen and Mueller roads which is far less scenic but around 5 kms shorter.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:17 pm

dynamictiger wrote:Lots of traffic around my home road, which is unusual. No traffic on the few main roads I have to interface with...one was even empty when I crossed it. Most unusual. And then a lot more bikes around, although I was running about 5 minutes later today. Especially odd as today is supposed to be hot as.
I also noticed a bit more traffic on some roads which normally a fairly light on ... all a bit odd.

Andrew