How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

nuclear_rider

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby nuclear_rider » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:01 pm

Well, my bike has been in for its first service for the past three days and I cannot wait to get back on it tomorrow.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Tapatalk 2

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:54 am

Rode back via MYT/Darebin Creek Trail yesterday afternoon. Lots of peds being taken for a walk by their furry companions (the mutts seem to be in control, rather than their owners).
Quick first half of the commute this morning, then seemed to catch every red light for the rest of the way in.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:55 am

had some of that slippery stuff on the road this morning - been a long time since we've seen it in Brissy.
It was only patchy

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:34 am

Only problem with my commute this morning was that hubby was heading off for a much longer ride in new territory with our riding group while I was pointed towards my office for the day. http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/posti ... 41&t=16139#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I couldn't bring myself to pull a sickie just to go riding with the group.

westab

Postby westab » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:31 am

Good ride when I finally got started - still have a sik kid. Got the other two then started to get myself ready then and the front tyre was flat.

Changed front wheels and away I go - sounds like a good time to service the primary front and run the spare. I have a week off next week so way be a good time during the evening to get it done.

Hope today is not like last night when I got caught in a thunder storm only 10 min. from home.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:21 pm

TailWind wrote:Rode back via MYT/Darebin Creek Trail yesterday afternoon. Lots of peds being taken for a walk by their furry companions (the mutts seem to be in control, rather than their owners).
oh no, it's spring :(

the circus comes to town again..

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:10 pm

After a terrible weekend doing the Goulburn to Camden charity ride - NOT, I considered that Monday's commute might be a of a struggle. Turns it was quite the opposite!

Matched my best time on one segment and got a second best on another. I'm not sure where that came from but I was happy to go with it! I was even firing on the way home.

I'm guessing I'll start to pay tomorrow although I did have the day off today due to having to public transport it to work.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:29 pm

Perth:

I am having a good runthese days. While it bucketted down before I left work, I just got a couple of brief drizzles on the way in. If I hadn't panicked I could have left the pancho in the backpack.

Dunno what happend to the storms that were suppoed to be with us.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:27 pm

jasonc wrote:had some of that slippery stuff on the road this morning - been a long time since we've seen it in Brissy.
It was only patchy
Mine too, although it turned off to be a lovely afternoon for the ride home, glad I rode as the radar was looking dodgy at 4:30 this morning!
Lisa

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:04 am

jules21 wrote: oh no, it's spring :(
Yep, the pleasant afternoons bring them out of hibernation - makes you wish for winter's miserable conditions sometimes.
In contrast, yesterday afternoon's ride back along the same route in rainy and wet conditions saw the Mutt Index drop dramatically - down to 1 from around 15 the day before :mrgreen:
Reasonable ride in this morning, caught all the reds again and was squeezed by one MM at the top of Brunswick St. On the positive side, I clicked over the 10 000km commuting mark for the year this morning :D.

Edit: syntax.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:12 am

wet roads this morning and I had a slip at slide getting off the bicentennial bikeway at the herschel st ramp.
didn't even rip my jersey

EDIT: forgot that the damn bird on the roma st parklands bikepath got me again

great ride to work!

westab

Postby westab » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:02 am

Good ride in the fog this morning - but glad of the sunnies when near work as the fog had burnt off. The roads were slippery this morning more so than yesterday in the rain.

The weather is looking good for this afternoons run but will need to get all the crud out of the R.D. before the ride home as it is making strange sounds after riding inthe rain the last few days - there is so much sand and other dirt that it has picked up. Bike will be getting a serious clean over the weekend (and hubs will be getting a regrease).

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:51 am

TailWind wrote:..... On the positive side, I clicked over the 10 000km commuting mark for the year this morning :D.

Edit: syntax.

TW...well done on the commute mark

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:02 am

Outstanding work Tailwind.

On another note, my wife is only going back three days a week until at least the new year, so I'm still in the endomondo competition, albeit probably surrendering podium. If I go for a group ride and then ride straight to work afterwards, does that count as a commute :D
Last edited by simonn on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:04 am

Commute was wet last night...this morning my cadence sensor died. I wonder if the rain killed it last night.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Tommi

Postby Tommi » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:18 am

Had a nice cycle into work. A tad foggy and cold but alot better than the commute home yesterday through the hail! Today is turning out to be an absolute cracker! :P

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:44 am

Consarned corporate challenge, I had to walk halfway across campus to find a shower that wasn't in use :o Good ride otherwise, took the steed in for an impromptu gear adjustment when I got an unplanned day off yesterday due to a plumbing 'situation', erk :? Turns out my hanger was all bent out of shape, all better now.

The modern dinosaurs are certainly restless though, got buzzed by a biddikwok at Burswood over the weekend!
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:49 am

Well yesterday afternoon I set a PB on the way home. My garmin has the virtual rider facility and I have never used it before, until yesterday. Bad mistake on my part for finally using it.

My competitive streak came out in me and I couldnt help myself, I just had to try and destroy my competitor, the virtual man. I ended up 5.5 k's in front of him at the end and set a PB of 33.7 km/h. The course I was riding against I had previously done at an average of 29 or so.

I had the added incentive of trying to get home before the big storms hit, and given what eventuated, I am glad I did. Would have hated being on a bike when they actually hit, have never seen rain come down so hard and intense as it did yesterday.

Took things a touch easier this morning and enjoyed my ride

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:54 am

simonn wrote:On another note, my wife is only going back three days a week until at least the new year, so I'm still in the endomondo competition, albeit probably surrendering podium. If I go for a group ride and then ride straight to work afterwards, does that count as a commute :D
simon - if you go straight to work after the group ride (i.e. don't go back home), then i reckon it counts (well that's how I've caught you)

westab

Postby westab » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:18 pm

simonn wrote:If I go for a group ride and then ride straight to work afterwards, does that count as a commute :D
Sounds fine to me as well - I regularly ride further with a mate rather than going straight home (if time and weather allows). Isn't that the same thing :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:26 pm

westab wrote:
simonn wrote:If I go for a group ride and then ride straight to work afterwards, does that count as a commute :D
Sounds fine to me as well - I regularly ride further with a mate rather than going straight home (if time and weather allows). Isn't that the same thing :)
my concern would be if simon went home first to pick up stuff, then went to work

if the journey is home-home-work then only home-work counts

but if it's home-long ride-work, that's what i call my extended commute aka getting lost on the way to work

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:29 pm

gretaboy wrote:My competitive streak came out in me and I couldnt help myself, I just had to try and destroy my competitor, the virtual man. I ended up 5.5 k's in front of him at the end and set a PB of 33.7 km/h. The course I was riding against I had previously done at an average of 29 or so.

Nice way to knock of a PB! Now comes the really hard part....beating that time! The worst is where you have a "for no apparent reason" PB that really stands out. Trying to nail that one causes considerable pain!

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:50 pm

goneriding wrote:
Nice way to knock of a PB! Now comes the really hard part....beating that time! The worst is where you have a "for no apparent reason" PB that really stands out. Trying to nail that one causes considerable pain!
yes have already thought about that one....will pick my day to try and beat it...and I will beat it :)

I posted a little while back about feeling flat on my commutes, and it was due to doing the same sort of speed/average each ride I think. Since changing up my rides with my pace, I have felt a big difference. Somewhat took it easy this morning and intend to take it even easier this afternoon if everything pans out the way I want it to go.

This virtual training partner will go a long way in improving my riding now I think

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:28 pm

I find that sometimes the day after a big effort I've got a skinful of go. On the weekend I did a TTT (more like an assisted crit as we weren't much of a team) and then the Goulburn - Camden ride. I thought I'd be knackered on Monday but was on fire narrowly missing 2 Strava PB's and pulling my second best CBD commute!

Today was a very different story so I logged it as a recovery ride :)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:41 am

gretaboy wrote: TW...well done on the commute mark
simonn wrote: Outstanding work Tailwind.
Thanks guys.

Multi-hop commute back via Eaglemont and Watsonia North yesterday afternoon after a lunchtime birthday drinks session for a colleague.
Uneventful ride in this morning. Thought I was going to get rained on for the third time this week, but I only had a couple of drops. Looks like it could still get wet in Melbourne this morning.