How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

find_bruce

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby find_bruce » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:33 pm

Lizzy wrote:Late out of the office last night so went halves with the train, all the way in again this morning. Decided to up my goal to minimum 1.5 round trips per week.

Have a nag right at the top of my hip though, not even sure how I would stretch it :|
jasonc wrote:Do a pigeon but lean forward whilst doing it (nose touching the ground, or close to). Hold it for around 30 seconds. Do it a couple of times. See if that works. The more perpendicular you can get your leg, the better(er)
Jason can you post a video of you doing it? I ask just because I want to help Lizzy, not so I can get a cheap laugh :wink:
Anything you can do, I can do slower

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:49 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Lizzy wrote:Late out of the office last night so went halves with the train, all the way in again this morning. Decided to up my goal to minimum 1.5 round trips per week.

Have a nag right at the top of my hip though, not even sure how I would stretch it :|
jasonc wrote:Do a pigeon but lean forward whilst doing it (nose touching the ground, or close to). Hold it for around 30 seconds. Do it a couple of times. See if that works. The more perpendicular you can get your leg, the better(er)
Jason can you post a video of you doing it? I ask just because I want to help Lizzy, not so I can get a cheap laugh :wink:
no - for some reason I don't trust it will be used appropriately
here's a youtube clip.

I just stay down as far as i can. i can't get my front leg that perpendicular - wish I could

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:54 pm

Hmm I may just have enough floor space to try that one out - thanks. I ran a bit behind sched this morning, and got within a couple of seconds of being busted in-flagrante glute-stretch, not even my colleagues deserve that.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:16 am

Riding home last night & bike developed a creak only on the NDS - sounded like the bottom bracket, but don't they all. This morning I started by loosening & tightening the pedal, nope that was fine but why was the axle moving up & down. Whipped the crank arm off & knock me done with half a brick the creak was coming from the bottom bracket - bearing had failed. Fortunately I had a spare so quick change & I was on my way a bit delayed. Took nearly as much time to clean the grease off my hands as it did to change the bearings

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:57 am

Yesterday I spotted a rider ahead. Quite a slow cadence and what looked like reasonable speed. I assumed e-bike so CCR kicked in and I kept my tempo up. Soon caught him, fairly easily and I discovered said gent struggling away in top gear doing about 25. I on the other hand was doing closer to 29 with a cadence of about 90-100 about 4 or 5 gears from top. Easily passed him.

Poor bloke, doesn't recognise the advantage of a higher cadence. His cadence was probably more like 40.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

HenryCharlie

Postby HenryCharlie » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:34 pm

My commute home last night was a bloody nightmare.

I put a split in a brand new Conti GP4000, it had 46km on it before it was rendered useless. I went through 4 tubes and had to buy a new tyre Then I had someone clipstack onto me as I passed him (in the opposite direction) whilst crossing some lights on the capital city trail. I wasn't a happy bunny....but I did get PR's on a couple of hills on my way home.
I overtook some people going uphill once.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:01 pm

Good ride in yesterday morning, had not planned to ride home until today, but found myself at the office late again and a honkkkking tailwind that looked like too much fun to waste, so I rode as far as the city. Actually got my average speed up to almost-respectable.

This left me with not much left in the tank this morning, so went rail-assisted.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:13 pm

Damned warm this arvo, 37 when I left work.

Lots of water, you certainly need to be careful not to overheat or dehydrate in these conditions.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:29 am

With 2 weeks to go my Tour Aotearoa start I am commuting with Bikepacking bags on... also trying to get on to gravel and tracks so is a fun commute at the moment although chasing the roadies is a bit harder along with yesterdays hill repeats. Fortunately I am still sorting routine at new house so have been leaving late which in turn means less hills
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:13 pm

I carried the oddest thing I've ever carried this morning - an off cut of a frangipani for a work mate
Waiting at a traffic light this morning. Two guys on bikes in front of me having a chat. Lights do a full cycle, except for ours. Numpties didn't hit the button. After some cohersion, button was hit and on the next cycle we were on our way

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:57 pm

That was a bad commute. :( For the first time in months, I arrived home more stressed than when I left, thanks to numerous aggressive motorists. I used my AirZound 4 times.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:40 pm

Been off the road bike for months due to a shoulder injury. Decided to ride it in my commute today - felt really odd for the first couple of ks before it felts like an old glove again. Just glorious

find_bruce

Spotted

Postby find_bruce » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:45 am

Was struggling up Col de Kings St, when a friendly voice shouted encouragement. Thanks bikerjk - I was a bit out of breath to say anything in reply

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:54 am

This morning I had another unnecessarily close pass by an impatient idiot in a ute. At the start of my commute, I ride down Craig Rd in Donvale, a very steep descent, which also has 3 so-called "traffic calming" kerbs (aka chicanes). I was heading down the hill, and rapidly picking up speed, when this complete moron decided he couldn't wait for me to get to the next chicane, and so sped up and overtook me. Bloody idiot.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:20 am

Humidity was off the charts in Brisbane this morning. Horrible

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:31 am

Not commuting myself - but heads up for those around Circular Quay, the old Gold Fields House at 1 Alfred Street Circular Quay (being demolished) has caught alight and gone up in an almighty fire. :!:

Trains are not stopping at Circular Quay (as of last information) and there are extensive road closures.Bridge Street is still open, but Loftus Street is closed and I'm fairly sure Pitt Street near Circular Quay will also be closed. :idea:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-13/c ... on/9425596

Edit: Trains now stopping at Circular Quay again.

tabb

Postby tabb » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:45 pm

Yeah Brisbane was very Cairns-like this morning. Bloody dreadful.

But on the other hand it was a quiet trip in - I do a lap of the bicentennial each morning and the bike counter is normally 700+ for the day on the first pass. Low 400s this morning (and yesterday) at the same time of day.

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:31 pm

Glorious 18 degree still morning in to work this morning, bike running great.
Nice early- mid 20's heading home with a bit of cloud cover so didn't feel too hot.
Put a bit of effort in an picked up a KOM, complete with big backpack, carrying computer and all lol.

HenryCharlie

Postby HenryCharlie » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:59 am

On my way in this morning I had two cyclists collide just in front of me. They hit each other on the first bend of the Capitol City Trail after crossing Footscray rd. Not sure what happened, (didn't see the crash, just heard it) but that is a nasty corner and if people aren't paying attention to their positioning it can easily happen.

Shred11

Postby Shred11 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:09 pm

Had an awesome commute on Monday. Riding home with a huge tailwind... and a three car crash had turned the main road in to a car park. I just cruised past the hundreds of frustrated and stuck car drivers, doing a nice, easy 35km/h on the shared path.

Arrived home half an hour later to a telephone ringing: my other half was still stranded in said traffic jam and had spotted me riding by. Heh.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:18 pm

brisbane is still humid. not as bad as yesterday

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:52 pm

jasonc wrote:brisbane is still humid. not as bad as yesterday

Indeed. I did Coot-tha last night after work and got caught in the start of the rain. It was just a light drizzle and I don't know whether it made me any wetter than my own sweat was doing. (The rain got much heavier later - after I was safely home.)

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:14 pm

Those of us in Melbourne may have noticed a slight breeze this morning. I certainly did while riding along the beach between Brighton and Albert Park. Anyone get blown away?

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

HenryCharlie

Postby HenryCharlie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:27 am

Someone on a bike got collected by a tram on St Georges Rd this morning. I stopped briefly but there were already about 6 or 7 people attending to the person so I left.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/nort ... 104afa4ba7

I hope she pulls through. :(
Last edited by HenryCharlie on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:31 am

DavidS wrote:Those of us in Melbourne may have noticed a slight breeze this morning. I certainly did while riding along the beach between Brighton and Albert Park. Anyone get blown away?

DS
Yeah, coming from the north it was smooth sailing until I got into the CBD where it was the coming of the apocalypse.