How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Aushiker

Re: How was your commute today?

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:07 pm

G'day

Back on Froggie last night for the ride over to Fremantle. After a week on Sir Lancelot, it was sweet to get on Froggie, a very nice stiff piece of carbon fibre (no offence to the steel Sir Lancelot but he is heavy!). Anyway I was flying, well flying for me into the wind all the way to Freo in the dark. Felt great and coming through Freo decided to try and keep up the memento to keep the average up a bit.

Anyway, the funny bit was coming up Alma Street beside the hospital. I was climbing at about 30 km/h following a dude in one of those soft 4WD with the Fenix L2D blazing away. I didn't have a problem staying with the dude. It must have upset him because just before Hampton Road, he suddenly swerved to the left to stop and started winding down his window. I guess he was going to say something to me, but I didn't bother to hang-around and spin left into Hampton and kept moving on.

Sort of nice to "hassle" a smoke box for a change rather than the other way round. Funny thing was I was keeping a safe distance and hadn't had any issue with the driver, just happened to keeping up with him.

Today capped it off with a good ride with Bike Force.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:49 am

Didn't need to commute this morning - I didn't leave the office. :oops: Missed dinner last night too - by the time I got off the phone from US tech support all the food outlets were closed. :x

On the upside I got to witness the sunrise over the city.

Time to go get some breakfast.

msn

Postby msn » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 am

Although not keeping in with the "today?" part of the topic. Apologies to all as it was last Friday.

On the commute to work.
Embarrassment: First clipstack, ever, after 1700km on the roady. In front of five rows of cars, picks self up, ignores cars, waits for lights of we go. :oops:

Not happy: My Vent

Happy again: Through Parramatta Park, arrives at work feeling good.

Cheers,

Mark.

Aushiker

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:56 am

G'day

Was it cold this morning or what? According to BOM the App Temp at Swanbourne on the coast was 5 C at 6:00 AM. Felt colder than that for me leaving Freo to Joondalup. Beside freezing, it was good to see a few people heading north for a change and the traffic was good. All up a good ride to Joondalup on Froggie. Riding Froggie is making me seriously consider a aluminium commuter as a fit between Sir Lancelot and Froggie.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:49 am

A great ride in today. It was a cold 6.5 C when I left home at 6.00am which seemed even lower when I reached the valley that is the Connolly Drive stretch between Clarkson and Kinross.

I was aided by a great tail wind (sorry Andrew! :wink: ) and it was a quiet uneventful ride! The car park nr the Entertainment Centre has now gone and there's a temporary PSP (about 15 metres long) that puts you on the footpath at Wellington Street.

Now the winter is here, the showers at work are getting quieter as well! I've not had to wait for at least 4/5 weeks.

Cheers,

Gary
Last edited by gdl_gdl on Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:29 am

My ride in was fantastic today. I was running late so it was not too cold (arrived about 8:40). The air was clear and cool. Nice amount of sun. The river looked spectacular. I didn't ride yesterday as I didn't have any work clothes at work :roll: so it felt extra good to be back on the bike today. Bliss!
<removed by request>

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:51 pm

G'day

Nice Greg. Do you have a bit of tail wind? I copped the north-easterlies this morning pretty much all the way to the campus. Didn't enjoy it, but last night was a different matter.

Last night had a great ride home. As the weather was good and little wind, I took the coast route and then through Scarborough south to Bold Park and then turned west for home. Add about 4 to 5 km to my regular ride. The bonus but was riding between Hillary and Scarborough (West Coast Drive) where I was pushing 35 km/h + through the sand dunes. Was even able to hold up the traffic a bit as they didn't have enough time to pass using the space between the traffic islands. For once the ride through there was in my favour :twisted:

Mind you, going through Scarborough I dropped nearly three kilometres an hour off my average! Ugh.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:16 pm

Aushiker wrote:Nice Greg. Do you have a bit of tail wind?
Not that I noticed. The route I take is not very windy and even when it is it doesn't make much difference because it's so short.
Aushiker wrote:Last night had a great ride home.
Nice :D
<removed by request>

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:27 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Nice Greg. Do you have a bit of tail wind?
Not that I noticed. The route I take is not very windy and even when it is it doesn't make much difference because it's so short.
Do you ride east to west in the morning? If yes, you might have got a bit of bonus which is nice when it happens. Makes the whole ride that much better. I find I am more motivated with calm or tailwinds (not just the wind helping).

One thing I notice is that when it is a tailwind I don't feel the wind; feels calm instead. Checking BOM later gives me an idea of the wind assist.

Headwinds and side winds however have a very noticeable effect; a bloody big negative one like this morning 8)

Andrew
Andrew

msn

Postby msn » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:04 pm

Very nice this morning, cool but clear and better that the random showers from last week.

Left home about 6:40am and into work at about 7:50, watching the day brighten up sets the mood for the rest of the day - bright and cheery. Had to be home in a hurry tonight (and late away from work), so cheated and took the train for part of the way.

Cheers,
Mark.

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:31 pm

Great 40km ride home tonight, only a slight head wind and a gentle warm breeze thanks to the cloud cover!

Connolly Drive at Kinross is being expanded to a dual carriageway so the roadworks there provide the only headache.

Cheers,

Gary

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:55 pm

gdl_gdl wrote:Great 40km ride home tonight, only a slight head wind and a gentle warm breeze thanks to the cloud cover!
And I was hoping you would get punished :twisted:

It was not gentle on the coast but ... gave me a good three to four kilometre an hour advantage from Ocean Reef through to Scarborough. Averaged over 30 km/h along the section tonight. Held up the traffic again :) Not sure if it is the speed or the mounting of the super flash on the right rear stay but the traffic is being more considerate these last two night commutes.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:59 am

Yesterday my Maxxis Detonator rear tyre did, at about 65kph after I hit a big chunk of rock or something :shock: Had a nice tail wind though so was flying along nicely even on the flats (blowout happened on a downhill). Patched it and the tube after I got home and had a nice ride in this morning even though it was only a couple of degrees (forecast max of 8C today), grey skies and a gusty head/cross wind. I don't know what it is, but there's something oddly satisfying and even enjoyable about riding in crap conditions but still somehow having a good time.
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:09 pm

Started to belt down after the first 150m, was running a bit late for me train so 'twas HTFU time. Good thing there's spare clobber at work. Lovely light speckling on the way home.

Might be time for new pads for Princess tho', she squealed like a stuck pig every time I thought about touching the brake.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Pax

Postby Pax » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:11 pm

Finally back on the bike having not put cleat in pedal since 18th May. Amazing how much darker it is now than last time I rode. I still had my Ayups on at the point that I used to change from clear lense glassses to sunnies 8)

Great commute, Soooo good to be on the bike. Pretty chilly this morning and "crisp" this evening. I couldn't believe the still very visible signs of the floods along Enoggera Creek that happenned in the time that I have been off the bike :shock: .

Then on the ride home spotted "Warning Cyclists" signs along Gympie Rd through Aspley and Strathpine in preparateion for the Brisbane to Noosa Imperial Centuary Ride that is on Sunday. Really looking forward to that.

Great to be back...and felt much better at work than I have while I wasn't riding :D

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:15 am

No commute today, decided to be sensible after being caught in a thunderstorm last week. Looks like my decision is justified, it's bouncing down in the middle of the CBD at the moment and there's a lot of green on the weather radar!!! (With a possible storm predicted.)

Dry day forecast for Friday so will ride in tomorrow instead.

So my commute today was a drive down the Mitchell Freeway! :wink:

(Update: Just had call from wife to say thunder and lightning over our house - she'll have to take care of the kids, I'm at work! :wink: )

Cheers,

Gary

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:16 am

cold.

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:37 am

Wet.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:53 am

gdl_gdl wrote:No commute today, decided to be sensible after being caught in a thunderstorm last week. Looks like my decision is justified, it's bouncing down in the middle of the CBD at the moment and there's a lot of green on the weather radar!!! (With a possible storm predicted.)
Come on Gary, if you want that AC/DC persona you need to harden up :lol:

I rode this morning from Fremantle to Joondalup. It was windy, wet and wooley. The WNW wind was an annoying side-head wind which didn't help much at all for most of the ride. Rain a fair bit too.

On the positive side, coming along the coast was great with the seas looking a bit wild.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:17 pm

Come on Gary, if you want that AC/DC persona you need to harden up

I know mate! I've only got 2 weeks to do it as I'm going to watch them at Wembley Stadium on the 26th June! :lol:

Cheers,

Gary

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:30 pm

My commute?

Bloody freezing! Yesterday I rode without gloves at 10am and my hands almost froze over. Today I went riding dressed in heavy jeans, flying jacket, wool scarf, tweed cycling cap and a pair of thinsulate cold weather gloves. Face and ears almost froze over, but I made it alive!

And I have to do it all again tomorrow! It's a bit of involuntary HTFU!
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

Cranky Jim

Postby Cranky Jim » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:45 pm

My daily commute is not very long. It varies between 4 and 10k depending on which way I choose to go.
I live in Bayswater in the municipality of Knox which boasts around 45k of cycle paths and I live in the middle of them so there are many round about ways of getting from home to work.

I got rid of the car, so I ride everyday. There are showers and lockers where I work so I am very well catered for, though I only use the showers if I get thoroughly drenched. I drove over 1,000,000 kms in my former career as a cab driver and while I still have a license I have no intention of getting another car. Should I need a car I rent the car I need. As a result I reckon I have saved several thousands of dollars, lost 30kg and gained a lot of fitness. I couldn't be happier with my decision to get rid of the car.

Formerly I would leave my drive to work to the last minute and get to work half asleep and grumpy. These days I arrive as bright as a button. My commute along the Dandy Creek Trail is the highlight of my day,

I started out riding a Roadmaster Tracker MTB that was too small for me that I bought at Aldi for $127. I still use it as my 'careless' bike for riding to the pub or leaving at the railway station. If it gets knocked off, I couldn't care less ... but nobody steals Aldi bikes. My 'work car' is the Big Friendly Giant, a cosy Cypress. My weekend traveller is The White Knight, an Allegro Tour. I'm rebuilding my old hybrid in an attempt to educate myself as a bike mechanic, and on Saturday I pick up my latest acquisition, a vintage Hercules roadster.

Life's better on a bike.

Runjikol

Postby Runjikol » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:15 pm

Cranky Jim: looks like we're almost neighbours. I'm over in Croydon South. :) I may see you out on the Dandy Trail path after my new cold & wet weather gear arrives. Look out for the nerd on the Bad Boy. :D
--Current rides: Surly Big Dummy || Dahon Dash P-18 || Surly Troll

eucryphia

Postby eucryphia » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:50 pm

Had a bracing ride today...

-5 overnight, -1 when I read it getting the bike out of thew shed (max/min thermometer above the potting bench), my small seedling watering can was frozen solid, the veges were covered in frost.

No water in the house, pipes frozen.

I wore my thermal underwear but my thumbs were numb when I got to work in the relative warmth of the basement. I was feeling a bit woosey, not shivering, a touch of hypothermia perhaps.

I forgot I'd bought a thermal balaclava a month or so ago, I'll have to fish it out.

Cranky Jim

Postby Cranky Jim » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:25 pm

I'll keep an eye out for the Bad Boy. I often ride up the Tarralla Creek trail to the fruit and veg at the Eastfield Shops too. You can't miss me : ridiculous purple helmet with taxi checkers on it :D

(-5. That's cold. 5 degrees I can handle. But -5 ? That's cold.)