How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

queequeg

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby queequeg » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:28 pm

I did a quick survey of Browns Waterhole on the way home.

http://youtu.be/hUtb2TlNUxA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quite a bit of water has gone over the top. There was debris in the trees about 1 to 2m above the path.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:55 am

Here is quickly edited video of my ride yesterday.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:42 am

Commuting in on the bus however the sun is out now in Sydney and I really should have taken the bike

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:14 am

tez001 wrote:Commuting in on the bus however the sun is out now in Sydney and I really should have taken the bike
Yes you should! :). No need for Rule 9 at all this morning. Damp roads and a little fog in the first five mins for me but otherwise much more pleasant that every other commute of mine this week.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:16 am

Road bike today. Cycleway was still pretty messy, which was not unexpected given the priority of other clean ups. Took the road option and didn't have to ride through flood waters today. I can hear them hooking up the generator to get us power, but I think it'll be cold shower rather than wait for it to get up and running.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:53 am

I'm back baby. Wore a long sleeved base layer and the temperature was quite comfortable, Just on 1h20 which is pretty good first time back. Leg injury feels probably 95%. What would have been a howling tailwind on the way home has disappeared after blowing constantly for the last two days. Just my luck.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:03 am

Boognoss wrote:
tez001 wrote:Commuting in on the bus however the sun is out now in Sydney and I really should have taken the bike
Yes you should! :). No need for Rule 9 at all this morning. Damp roads and a little fog in the first five mins for me but otherwise much more pleasant that every other commute of mine this week.
Time to belt out a bit of Neil Diamond

Got the sun in my eyes
And the wind in my face
And it's good just to be alive.

I will try & resist the urge to set out tonight for New Orleans :D
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

simlin

Postby simlin » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:49 am

Great commute this morning...my phone died, I had a blow-out on the rear and then snapped my rear mud guard will fixing it....gah...no to look for a replacement mud guard before the forecast heavy rain tomorrow

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:55 am

queequeg wrote:I did a quick survey of Browns Waterhole on the way home.

http://youtu.be/hUtb2TlNUxA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quite a bit of water has gone over the top. There was debris in the trees about 1 to 2m above the path.
I thought you'd taken your bike over that tree and were riding towards the flooded path about to attempt to ride across it. I'm glad you didn't! :P

Love the footage, Bychosis! Riding through those waters looked exciting. You clearly had to know where you were going! You managed to pass a car too (who was on the shared path??)! And pushing through that downed tree! :P

I took the La Trobe Street way home last night as had to check the mail for an overseas relative. Crossing 4 lanes of traffic in Victoria Street to turn right into Spring (for the left turn into Albert) was a bit easier with less peak hour traffic!

On the way in this morning I caught up to Rainbow Leggings lady (the one I'd asked where she'd bought her leggings from). We had another chat at two sets of traffic lights about leggings, where to get colourful jerseys and other stuff. Lovely. :)

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:19 am

simlin wrote:Great commute this morning...my phone died, I had a blow-out on the rear and then snapped my rear mud guard will fixing it....gah...no to look for a replacement mud guard before the forecast heavy rain tomorrow
K Mart have very similar to these (the rear only) for about $5 if that is any good to you for a temporary measure?

Cheers,

Tony

simlin

Postby simlin » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:32 am

Funnily enough that is exactly what I had on...$4 from Hong Kong...though the 4 weeks delivery really kills it coming into late autumn...thanks for the tip...might check out k-mart tonight.

kb

Postby kb » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:28 pm

simlin wrote:Great commute this morning...my phone died, I had a blow-out on the rear and then snapped my rear mud guard will fixing it....gah...no to look for a replacement mud guard before the forecast heavy rain tomorrow
Could be worse... the rear blowout was the bike's rear, yes?
Sorry, does sound like a bad day.

Had a good trip in myself. One of those rare precious winds with an easterly component.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:55 pm

kb wrote:
Could be worse... the rear blowout was the bike's rear, yes?
Sorry, does sound like a bad day.

Had a good trip in myself. One of those rare precious winds with an easterly component.
& your comment now has me wondering what medical malaise you are suffering to have wind with an easterly component :shock:
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:33 pm

Got a nice rinse on the way home. Almost as fast coming home as I was this morning.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:46 pm

Rode the road in the way home. 2lane 60km zone with no shoulder that seems to be a race track when I drive it. I was quite nervous with lots of shoulder checking and listening for approaching cars. Happily, no half lane passes from any cars. One moto lane split with me, but it wasn't too close. Not keen to do it again though and will be happy once they get the cycleway cleaned of debris from out of the lake, either that or take the alternate up and over route, but that's a nasty climb at the end of a day.

kb

Postby kb » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:04 am

find_bruce wrote: & your comment now has me wondering what medical malaise you are suffering to have wind with an easterly component :shock:
:lol:

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:40 pm

Speaking of medical malaises I rode in yesterday thinking I could chase away a threatening head-cold, this failed and I limped home on the train ... would have whopped it today had my bike not been at work, I don't like her being out all weekend by herself. Choices are now ride home with a deteriorating head or wait until train o'clock, hmph. ::wahchoo::
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:49 pm

The earliest knock off time is always the best option on a Friday.

:)

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:22 pm

Lovely ride home at 10PM last night after stuffing my face at a work-ish function. Felt seedy walking back to the office because I'd eaten a heap, but after the walk the ride had no nasty events happen. Got most of the green lights too. :) Bit warmer this morning compared to a couple of the other mornings this week and a lovely ride in passing all the cars stuck in traffic queues. :)

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:26 am

Still crook as a dog, but I can hardly wait to start tomorrow back on the new toy :D 1 full week off now :?

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:58 pm

Summernight wrote:Lovely ride home at 10PM last night after stuffing my face at a work-ish function. Felt seedy walking back to the office because I'd eaten a heap, but after the walk the ride had no nasty events happen. Got most of the green lights too. :) Bit warmer this morning compared to a couple of the other mornings this week and a lovely ride in passing all the cars stuck in traffic queues. :)
Free pizzas every second friday at work- always feel seedy riding home on half a pizza- but it tastes so good and the price is just right :)

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:29 am

13 degrees this morning, slightly overreacted with longs top and bottom, so a comfortable start to the ride but a too-warm finish. Should have realised the the direction things were going from the fact that my sunglasses were steaming up every time I stopped for a red light :-) .

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:51 am

This morning's commute can only be described as painful.

To start with, my shoes hadn't dried fully from yesterday's drenching. I then noticed it was pi**ing with rain as I left the house. Despite being slightly soggy, the commute itself was fine until I got half way down Latrobe Street and a driver helped me to demonstrate that riding into the side of a ute after he cut across the bike lane then stopped in the middle of it is an effective method of me stopping instantly.

Finally arrived at work to find that while I remembered to bring a week's worth of clothes, I forgot to put a towel in this morning. Lucky it was cold today!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:02 am

Cool this morning, 11 degrees at my place when I left at 0445. I was contenplating the leg warmers but decided against it. Arm warmers and a vest was just about right. Best thing was the WSW wind had gone and it was perfectly still.

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:30 am

After copping a real soaking last Monday's trip home there was no work for me the rest of the week. No power and site shut down. No power at home for over 4 days too.

So back at it today, just cold and a few detours from fallen trees. They've been quick to remove trees that block roads, but bike paths... not so quick, well ok they removed the boat that washed up last week, that was quick.

I think it was this one that eventually left the water...Image and ended up about 10m away from the edge.

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish