How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Summernight

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Summernight » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:27 am

Last night there was a cyclist on Albert Street with a red front flashing light. Confused me no end when I was trying to work out whether there was anyone behind me through the rear view.

This morning on Albert Street the empty rubbish and recycle bins (about 11 of them) had been placed completely blocking the separated bike lane:

I stopped and moved them all so there was a pathway through for bikes, but seriously, why don't people think these things through??? :roll:

98octane

Postby 98octane » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:55 am

On the Gardiners Creek Trail this morning, I passed a dual-suspension ebike which was hurtling along at just under 40kph up a slight hill. I thought these things must be limited to 25kph?

He then caught me on the Yarra Blvd flat at Burnley well over 40kph. Knowing his weakness is hills, I sped up and passed up the next one. I stayed ahead all the way into the CBD, and eventually out of earshot of the whirring of the electric motor.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:17 pm

Summernight wrote:Last night there was a cyclist on Albert Street with a red front flashing light. Confused me no end when I was trying to work out whether there was anyone behind me through the rear view.

This morning on Albert Street the empty rubbish and recycle bins (about 11 of them) had been placed completely blocking the separated bike lane:

I stopped and moved them all so there was a pathway through for bikes, but seriously, why don't people think these things through??? :roll:
Solution. If empty hit em while riding a fat bike :P

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:21 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Solution. If empty hit em while riding a fat bike :P
:lol:

Problem: Not riding a fat bike. And those bins were bigger than the usual bin size and were almost bigger than me! :P

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:25 pm

Summernight wrote:

Problem: Not riding a fat bike. And those bins were bigger than the usual bin size and were almost bigger than me! :P
not many bins are bigger than luke either...

kb

Postby kb » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:12 pm

Summernight wrote:This morning on Albert Street the empty rubbish and recycle bins (about 11 of them) had been placed completely blocking the separated bike lane
No they weren't.
Summernight wrote: I stopped and moved them all so there was a pathway through for bikes, but seriously, why don't people think these things through??? :roll:
Oh. I see. Keep up the good work! ;-)

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:32 pm

Summernight wrote:This morning on Albert Street the empty rubbish and recycle bins (about 11 of them) had been placed completely blocking the separated bike lane.
That looks like around 11 violations of Road Rule 293 to me. At $738.05/violation that's a hefty $8k fine for the rubbish truck driver who left them there.

You might want to contact the local council (or whatever company contracts to them) and remind them to not put things on the road that could obstruct the path of other drivers, it could be an expensive mistake if someone catches them doing it.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:56 am

Last nights commute home was in the WOW folder- not the heaviest rain but fell solidly for the entire 20km, saturated when I got home- it was so wet that the bike was clean as a whistle when I checked it over- the water had washed any dirt off :shock:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:56 am

jasonc wrote:
Summernight wrote:

not many bins are bigger than luke either...
Certainly when it comes to height. Width wise I'm about 0.15 a bin :P

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:00 pm

TailWind wrote:Another beautiful afternoon yesterday in Melbourne. As I exited the underpass at the M80 Ring Road, an oncoming cyclist said something that I at first didn't quite understand as we passed, but when my fine, feathered friend slapped its wings next to my ear, I realised he'd been saying "magpie". :mrgreen:
That M80 maggie really takes its job seriously.

Very misty this morning, to the point where I was a little damp by the time I got into the CBD.

Happy Friday! :D
I cop old mate every night now :lol: He's got a big nest in the tall gum near the first house off the path. Lord of all he surveys 8)

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:59 am

Scott_C wrote:
Summernight wrote:This morning on Albert Street the empty rubbish and recycle bins (about 11 of them) had been placed completely blocking the separated bike lane.
That looks like around 11 violations of Road Rule 293 to me. At $738.05/violation that's a hefty $8k fine for the rubbish truck driver who left them there.

You might want to contact the local council (or whatever company contracts to them) and remind them to not put things on the road that could obstruct the path of other drivers, it could be an expensive mistake if someone catches them doing it.
Thanks for that. I'll send the photos to the City of Melbourne - they have a complaints webpage that I've used before. Much easier than writing a letter and having to drop it off. :)

Friday night's commute had a similar incident to Thursday's commute at the exact same intersection - bike lane requires cars turning over it to give way to bikes in the lane. VW Van (looks like this: http://scottsvwwerks.com/wp-content/upl ... Bus-10.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) indicates to turn left over the bike lane and gives way to me. Lady in the car pulling out of the side street assumes that, because the VW has stopped, there are no oncoming vehicles. She pulls out and I could see that she didn't even look to her right once and was focused on looking in the other direction to go straight across the street. She was oblivious to the fact that there was a cyclist about 2 metres away from her and I don't think she even knows what she almost did, even with my shout at her.

This morning was the usual moron in a car who thinks he knows everything about the road rules... He shouts at me to "Get out of the way" in the two block section of Albert St, East Melbourne that is two lanes and no bike lane. He does this while fully in the right hand lane (me in the left about to head into the start of the bike lane) with me not holding him up one iota.

Funny that he apparently knows the rules because just before the Albert/Hoddle intersection (2 blocks before him shouting at me) I have clear footage of him blocking and then driving in the bike lane because he doesn't want to have to wait in the traffic like he is supposed to... Pure class... :roll:

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:12 pm

fat and old wrote: I cop old mate every night now :lol: He's got a big nest in the tall gum near the first house off the path. Lord of all he surveys 8)
Are we talking about the same bird? He hasn't missed me once on my daily afternoon commutes that way...I head off the path up Blau St.
See below for the MAZ (Magpie Awareness Zone) :mrgreen: :

Warm but windy ride this morning, looks pretty damp for this afternoon.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:44 pm

Bit chilly this morning! But nice to be back on the bike after no commutes at all for August (for a variety of reasons)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:57 pm

It was cool again in Perth today, but clear and sunny. Commute was good, still feeling the effects of a cold, but had new bibs, jersey, cleats and helmet pads, so always nice to debut new stuff. Thought I was going to get to ride the new section of kwinana PSP to the city, but they re-shut it by the time I got there. Some talk that it at only be temporary while they do the lines, but not holding out any hope for the homeward trip

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:25 pm

TailWind wrote:
fat and old wrote: I cop old mate every night now :lol: He's got a big nest in the tall gum near the first house off the path. Lord of all he surveys 8)
Are we talking about the same bird? He hasn't missed me once on my daily afternoon commutes that way...I head off the path up Blau St.
See below for the MAZ (Magpie Awareness Zone) :mrgreen: :

Warm but windy ride this morning, looks pretty damp for this afternoon.
Yep, that's the one. Lives outside #89. I go the same way it seems. :D

Very warm this morning, wet this arvo.All good.

Oh yeah....that bridge building at Norris Park......council says finito 6/ September. At last :evil:

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:41 am

Mildest weather for weeks today and the dire predictions of rain haven't eventuated (yet), so a pleasant ride this morning. This afternoon... we'll see.

Saw the boys in blue and their official issue mountain bikes on the way in, chatting side by side as they weaved through the pedestrians on the footpath next to the Burke street cycle path. If I did that guys, you'd book me wouldn't you? Riding in a manner dangerous contrary to the applicable regulations or something similar.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:45 am

FiveDaysAWeek wrote:Saw the boys in blue and their official issue mountain bikes on the way in, chatting side by side as they weaved through the pedestrians on the footpath next to the Burke street cycle path. If I did that guys, you'd book me wouldn't you? Riding in a manner dangerous contrary to the applicable regulations or something similar.
cops are exempt from just about all rules

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:47 am

Rode home between drenching showers last night (WIN!) so just had the road muck and puddles to ride through. Same this morning. No numpties that I recall too, which is a positive. :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:55 am

Summernight wrote:Rode home between drenching showers last night (WIN!) so just had the road muck and puddles to ride through. Same this morning. No numpties that I recall too, which is a positive. :)
Double win.

Only numpty I had on my commute was me - rode past my turnoff & had to jump a 4ft concrete barrier to continue on my way. Regrettably I am don't have the skills of Danny MacAskill so I had to hoick the bike over then clamber across myself. Passing ped was amused :oops:

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:28 am

Missed the rain this morning with a well timed ride. Although in some ways I wanted it to rain as I've yet to test out my new sealskinz gloves in a downpour.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:24 am

Interesting morning. Rained all the way, which was cool cos that meant I was. Except when Mr car couldn't make up his mind whether or not to pass me before a pinch point in the road........so he locks up just before, right next to me :roll: :lol: Then he gives me the "what are you doing wave" :lol: Then he has to explain himself at the lights :lol: :lol: Might be a bit early for him to be driving I think.

You know, I'm convinced this happens because those people who do these things are actually caught out by the speed of the bike. They just don't realise that we're not all 9 year olds on BMX's.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:25 pm

fat and old wrote:
TailWind wrote: Yep, that's the one. Lives outside #89. I go the same way it seems. :D

Very warm this morning, wet this arvo.All good.
Oh yeah....that bridge building at Norris Park......council says finito 6/ September. At last :evil:
Yep, sounds like we travel the same way indeed...in the afternoons, I pick up the Darebin Creek Trail just off Darebin Rd and head all they way up north under the M80, then through the suburbs (Blau St, then up to McKimmies and then up Plenty up to River Gum.
That Norris Park construction wrecking the trail is just ridiculous, it's been months now - I opt for McLeans Rd rather than riding through the mud...

As for my commutes, rain all the way home yesterday arvo (which didn't deter the maggie one bit), and showers into the CBD this morning, otherwise quite pleasant.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:11 pm

Nice ride home. Big tailwind 8)

Magpie extremely keen tonite, watching his shadow was pretty cool.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:00 pm

Monday's ride home saw my shoes sodden once I finally made it inside.

This morning I was too slow getting everything together and ended up having to get the train (on the plus side, I got to watch an episode of Da Vinci's Demons - just have to make sure I get a seat at the end of the carriage where no-one inadvertently looks over my shoulder to see blood or people's bits)
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:18 pm

headwind, unpleasant. wheelsuckers to boot.