How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

ColinOldnCranky

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:50 pm

Perth:

A great day to ride.

IT seems that tday was, however, the day that those who like to rely on matters outside of their control to keep them safe were out inforce. I can't recall having so many shaving so close to me and to others. Squeezing individually and i groups.

I did a count of the riders that took off with me at a single change of lights at Mill Pt road and Labouchere Rd. Somwhere near 50! It looked like a video from another country. It was gratifying to see so many riders out and about.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:00 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Perth:

A great day to ride.

IT seems that tday was, however, the day that those who like to rely on matters outside of their control to keep them safe were out inforce. I can't recall having so many shaving so close to me and to others. Squeezing individually and i groups.

I did a count of the riders that took off with me at a single change of lights at Mill Pt road and Labouchere Rd. Somwhere near 50! It looked like a video from another country. It was gratifying to see so many riders out and about.
you got a few amused looks from some people this morning walking along near the narrows (city side) colin. i say gidday most mornings when i see you, but i'm just another faceless commuter on a roadie - you stick out a little! :P

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:53 pm

Crawf wrote:
Comedian wrote: Will be happy to cruise on the way home tonight. :)
Ditto. Must. Resist. Urge. To. Chase. Rabbits. It's too damn hot!
37.4 in bne at the moment... 1 hour to departure. :)

Plus, I'm going to put the c50's on tonight in prep for the racing on the weekend. Everyone is going to want a piece of my arse on the wall until they get removed. :o

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:09 pm

7C on the way to work and 70km/h headwinds on the way home. It feels like winter again!! :|

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:13 pm

uglybob wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Perth:

A great day to ride.

you got a few amused looks from some people this morning walking along near the narrows (city side) colin. i say gidday most mornings when i see you, but i'm just another faceless commuter on a roadie - you stick out a little! :P
Stick out a little? Much to the embarrassment of my kids! Isn't payback great?

To kill time I did a count of riders that passed me either way this morning - It was a litle over 600 by the time I got to my coffee stop on Riverside Drive. You guys are usually out of site almost as soon as you pass me. I do I recognise a few regulars here and there.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:17 pm

Heat was fine on the commute... the wind was a bit wild though. :o

Christina Brinkmann

Postby Christina Brinkmann » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:53 pm

I lost my commuter race this afternoon :oops: . After choosing the right moment to blast past the dude, I just imagined I had an unassailable lead. Nek minnut wooshka :shock: , old mate takes me to the cleaners. I’ll get him next time as I have done previously.

Hello Comedian :wink:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:01 pm

Christina Brinkmann wrote:I lost my commuter race this afternoon :oops: . After choosing the right moment to blast past the dude, I just imagined I had an unassailable lead. Nek minnut wooshka :shock: , old mate takes me to the cleaners. I’ll get him next time as I have done previously.

Hi ;)

The question is, where was he on the food chain compared to you? :mrgreen:

ray

Postby ray » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:04 pm

Comedian wrote:
Crawf wrote:
Comedian wrote: Will be happy to cruise on the way home tonight. :)
Ditto. Must. Resist. Urge. To. Chase. Rabbits. It's too damn hot!
37.4 in bne at the moment... 1 hour to departure. :)

Plus, I'm going to put the c50's on tonight in prep for the racing on the weekend. Everyone is going to want a piece of my arse on the wall until they get removed. :o
It was 37.5 when I left at 4:30pm. Bit of a headwind heading to the northern suburbs. I was the rabbit today - decided I might make it a zone 1 ride so was passed by quite a few riders :oops:

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:10 pm

Comedian wrote: Plus, I'm going to put the c50's on tonight in prep for the racing on the weekend. Everyone is going to want a piece of my arse on the wall until they get removed. :o
Are you racing on Saturday??!

If so I will have to stick around to see how you go!

Please tell me that it will be a tailwind for tomorrow afternoon, I'll need it to keep up with you!
Unless of course you cook your legs on Coottha in the morning...then I might have to tow you along!
Lisa

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:11 pm

Nice & warm ride in this morning. Not such a great start, nearly went off the deep end while concentrating too hard on being passed by a big bunch ... whether by class or derriere I managed to brake & correct without causing a scene, only for the bunch to turn off to the left while the last few were still passing me, le sigh ...

Then got caught in a meta-detour infinity loop in Bateman, complete with a mutually confusing and frustrating exchange with a traffic controller who opted to wave me through rather than ... I don't know what, exactly.

Hot & windy on the way home, but after a week of racing to the CBD each evening I'm moooore than happy to be back in the saddle :mrgreen:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:21 pm

I got the guilts this morning as I was heading off to work & my 18 month old boy put his helmet on to come with my. Had the saddest little face when he realised I was leaving without him.

Christina Brinkmann

Postby Christina Brinkmann » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:28 pm

Lizzy wrote:Nice & warm ride in this morning. Not such a great start, nearly went off the deep end while concentrating too hard on being passed by a big bunch ... whether by class or derriere I managed to brake & correct without causing a scene, only for the bunch to turn off to the left while the last few were still passing me, le sigh ...

Then got caught in a meta-detour infinity loop in Bateman, complete with a mutually confusing and frustrating exchange with a traffic controller who opted to wave me through rather than ... I don't know what, exactly.

Hot & windy on the way home, but after a week of racing to the CBD each evening I'm moooore than happy to be back in the saddle :mrgreen:
Sorry I am new. Are you a french sheila?

Christina Brinkmann

Postby Christina Brinkmann » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:33 pm

Comedian wrote:
Christina Brinkmann wrote:I lost my commuter race this afternoon :oops: . After choosing the right moment to blast past the dude, I just imagined I had an unassailable lead. Nek minnut wooshka :shock: , old mate takes me to the cleaners. I’ll get him next time as I have done previously.

Hi ;)

The question is, where was he on the food chain compared to you? :mrgreen:
The dudes seat height was about my head height. He wa in lycra full body armour, I was in Trade Secret. He had a nutsack, I was bereft.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:39 pm

Christina Brinkmann wrote:
I wrote: le sigh ...
Sorry I am new. Are you a french sheila?
Actually no - I'm not sure where that came from. A friend (not french either) says it a lot, I must have caught it from her. Don't mind me :)
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:45 pm

find_bruce wrote:I got the guilts this morning as I was heading off to work & my 18 month old boy put his helmet on to come with my. Had the saddest little face when he realised I was leaving without him.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:51 pm

Hard work both ways today. Heading in I was putting in a big effort on the MTB, not far from work when suddenly a random dog decided to go me. I had to really hammer it (been chewed by a pooch before - did not want a repeat performance) and managed to get away but had serious chest pains for 10 minutes afterwards (might drop by the doc to see about that later in the week). And then, at the hottest part of the day (37°), I had to do flog it home (into the wind - of course) as there was a storm cell heading towards our house. Why the urgency I hear you ask? Rainbow bee-eaters have made a burrow in our front lawn and the eggs hatched on Sunday (you can tell as the parents have started taking insect down the burrow). Heavy rainfall can drown both chicks and parents so I was on "umbrella patrol". As it was the storm cell veered off to the east so it was all in vain. Hoping for a quieter commute tomorrow - I need the rest!

Here is a shot I managed to get of the female leaving the burrow :D

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:09 am

Cool and windy for the ride back yesterday afternoon. A section of the Darebin Creek Trail leading up to Plenty Valley Road is still being concreted, with a bit of an awkward detour around the oval there. Had some feral youths bark at me just past Northland Shopping Center, but no issues otherwise.
Hard work this morning - 10C at 4:30am, 40+km/h WSW head/crosswind and patchy showers. Summer in Melbourne :roll:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:12 am

Xplora wrote:
find_bruce wrote:I got the guilts this morning as I was heading off to work & my 18 month old boy put his helmet on to come with my. Had the saddest little face when he realised I was leaving without him.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Yeah but on the plus side his mum saw how much he likes going on rides so I get a green light to take him more often. Of course it helps that most rides involve stopping at the park for playtime :D

Dean Whittle

Postby Dean Whittle » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:24 am

Another great ride in this morning, picture perfect weather, minimal traffic (by comparison) and a good time getting in.
2012 Focus Planet TR 5.0

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:56 am

Christina Brinkmann wrote:
The dudes seat height was about my head height. He wa in lycra full body armour, I was in Trade Secret. He had a nutsack, I was bereft.

Made me laugh this description...

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:11 am

weather prediction was for a sunny day..woke up and no clouds in the sky...so it was on for few extra k's this morning. Morning started off rather cool, had me thinking we were coming into winter not summer but eventually warmed up enough.

Had one idiot close shave me...instead of moving into the clear right hand lane, it had to try and squeeze the SUV past me whilst staying in the same lane...only issue was I was in the middle of the lane, have to check footage yet.

Winds were up and werent to bad going in but once I hit the turnaround point in my xtra k's it was a nice strong headwind...certainly made me work hard

should be a warm ride home today

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:48 am

The mother of all tailwinds last night on the worst possible (hot) day, the moons aligned last night that's for sure, sooo sweet.
A work colleague chose yesterday to be her first day commuting by bike, talk about a baptism of fire and headwind.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:41 pm

Mugginess out the ying yang this morning, which would have been awful if not for the gentle drizzle for the duration. Only had a t-shirt & shorts on but the evaporative effect was optimal. Tagged along briefly with the over 55s group, my still fairly new brake pads kept squealing like little bitches in the wet though, bit embarrassing!

J-Tim

Postby J-Tim » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:32 pm

Lovely ride in this morning, but it seems that it'll be another battle against headwind on the way back again.