How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

bychosis

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby bychosis » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:44 pm

Lizzy wrote:Happy Super Tuesday everyone :D I got counted twice, since I go inner-mid-North to mid-inner-South. Heaps of people out representing.
I wondered what the cyclist sitting on a bench with a clipboard was doing this morning. Got myself counted I guess. Quick video review showed the suspected counter was wearing the blue shirt and was most likely an actaul counter. Lucky I didn't have the keys for the car, otherwise I would have missed out.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:09 pm

What are they counting for? I noticed one on Victoria rd past Iron Cove Bridge and then another at the start of the Anzac Bridge this morning on the commute in.

Procat

Postby Procat » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:27 pm

tez001 wrote:What are they counting for? I noticed one on Victoria rd past Iron Cove Bridge and then another at the start of the Anzac Bridge this morning on the commute in.
https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/general/media/3255/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doug

tez001

Postby tez001 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:55 pm

Thanks for that. Did not know that was on at all!

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:00 am

Counted - on Heidelberg Rd near Hoddle St overpass. First ride back after a week and bit of annual leave. Perfect return to the commute - lovely morning, really no traffic issues, and a good chat to another cyclist at the lights in Fitzroy.

The ride from CBD to Macleod in the afternoon in lovely conditions - clear and sunny, not too hot, traffic generally well behaved. Only excitement a teenager running across Oriel Rd in Heidelberg West to hook a bus without looking for the 95 kg plus missile at 30 kph in the bike lane a few metres away! :shock:

Cheers

Alan
Alan
BentCyclist

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:52 am

9c here this morning. Bib shorts, summer jersey with t-shirt underneath, arm warmers, bandana, light long fingered gloves. Dark until about 7am, the days are getting shorter.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:07 am

Was bad here this morning as well, got to 16c although was 20c by the time I hit the office. no change in clothing just not dripping sweet like normal. After being out west for the last couple of years where we get to below 7 I am looking forward to Brisbane's winter
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:43 am

I had an 'edu-ma-cated' Melbourne pedestrian last night. I'm approaching on the downhill of Albert Street and I see a lady walking in the middle of the green painted separated bike lane (less than two metres away is the footpath). She continues to meander down the bike path so her walking there is deliberate. I decided to slow down (because I couldn't pass in the bike lane as she was filling the whole thing) and tap her on her shoulder as I come alongside. She's on her mobile phone (of course she is!). I've come to an almost stop and am just about to tap her on her shoulder when she steps a bit right (closer to the road) and makes enough room for me to come alongside her. So I do and I say "Might not want to walk there."

Her response... "PISS OOORRRRRFFFF" and she keeps talking on her phone. It went something like "chatter, chatter chatter.. PISS ORRRFFFF chatter chatter chatter".

I just shook my head and rode away saying over my shoulder something like 'Fine, if you want to get hit, then keep doing what you're doing."

This morning that wind was a bit brutal. Blew me around a bit. I'd forgotten how strong it could get.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:56 pm

Took the long way to work & discovered a diversion due to maintenance work being done on the Cooks River path. Woo hoo cyclocross - nailed it* as I rolled across the grass, deftly avoided the raised pine logs, swerved through the chicane of the fence into the kiddies playground, around the swings, before cutting through the trees & back on to the path.

* this is a work of fiction & any resemblance to actual events is unintentional
Anything you can do, I can do slower

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:48 pm

I had a fun and fast commute home today - I am now 17th on one of my favourite segments (despite slowing 3 times for pedestrians/other cyclists) https://www.strava.com/activities/26319 ... 6162758491" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:56 pm

I only had a short commute today so diverted to the crit circuit and done a lap... Was fun and will do a few more next week
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:38 pm

I've only been commuting to work since last Monday, but today has to have been the slowest commute yet. Evil headwinds from what seemed like every direction until the very last part of my commute along the front of costco and up to Bourke St - that smallest of small tail winds was most welcome by then!

hugh stone

Postby hugh stone » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:21 pm

Riding west along Epping Rd bike path this afternoon and saw a cyclist down. Didn't look good. Plenty of people assisting, but does anyone know what happened and if the rider was okay?

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:08 am

It's been a while since I've posted, but nothing really remarkable has happend during my commutes. I even forget to fire up the Endomondo app to log rides most of the time. Maybe that's a good thing - cycling normalised to the point where riding somewhere is as uncomplicated as strolling down your driveway to collect the mail from your postbox.

Have a slow leak in my rear tyre, might have to have a look this weekend. The kiddos are riding to school every day now too, less than 1.5km each way, no need for me to accompany them - they were quite happy to go it alone after a couple of trial runs. Sidewalks and bike paths all of the way.

It's warmed up considerably, generally between -1C and 5C or higher, still riding in my work clothes with no special thermal kit, just a thick jacket, which does get a bit toasty during the afternoon commute. Had a bit of a snow storm again this morning, but all clear again this afternoon.

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:52 am

bianchicam - please report in
A cyclist has been hit by a truck near Mornington Secondary College. The male cyclist, believed to be aged in his 40s, was struck by the truck on Inglis Street in Mornington shortly after 6am, Marissa Calligeros reports. It is understood he has severe facial injuries. The man is being treated by paramedics at the scene and a police helicopter is on standby to take the man to hospital.
from here. http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/melbo ... 3wmul.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marco1710

Postby Marco1710 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:54 am

Crashed on the way to work this morning. Own fault - inexperience, speed, not really thinking it through. Took a shortcut across some dirt/grass to get from road back onto bike path, going too fast, turned right to get back on to the bike path (90 degree turn...dumb), back tyre lost grip and I lowsided it.

Only damage is grazed knees, fingers and chin plus sore all down my right side. Nothing broken, but really hard to make a fist with my left hand. Bike unscathed. Took a break for a few minutes then pedalled slowly the rest of the way to work (~10km) and got patched up by first aid (who is also IT, so useful guy). My staff have now loaded me up with nurofen, coffee and a muffin plus mother hen behaviour so all good.

Live and learn...

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:55 am

jasonc wrote:bianchicam - please report in
A cyclist has been hit by a truck near Mornington Secondary College. The male cyclist, believed to be aged in his 40s, was struck by the truck on Inglis Street in Mornington shortly after 6am, Marissa Calligeros reports. It is understood he has severe facial injuries. The man is being treated by paramedics at the scene and a police helicopter is on standby to take the man to hospital.
from here. http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/melbo ... 3wmul.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not good. Hope the rider heals well and fast. And same to you, Marco.

I swear the wind changed direction for the ride home to give me another headwind. And it was worse again this morning, battering me around. Other than that it was a good ride. :P

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:59 am

That's no good Marco but glad you are not too badly injured. PMSL at the idea of a IT person doing first aid - we are going to turn everything off & restart you :shock: :lol:

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:43 am

Blardy windy for me this morning. Was riding into a pure Westerly for most of it.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:45 am

gah. this isn't looking good. anyone got a contact for biachicam?

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cycli ... 3wr5w.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PatNZ

Postby PatNZ » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:33 pm

jasonc wrote:gah. this isn't looking good. anyone got a contact for biachicam?

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cycli ... 3wr5w.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:cry: :cry:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:38 pm

jasonc wrote:gah. this isn't looking good. anyone got a contact for biachicam?

Ping him with a PM? If he has his settings set right it will hopefully send him an email saying he has a message.

The news article says it was a Mt Eliza man. Bianchicam is from Mt Martha? Hope that he is okay.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:37 pm

Summernight wrote:The news article says it was a Mt Eliza man. Bianchicam is from Mt Martha? Hope that he is okay.
will send him a pm. am sure he lives around mt eliza and rides around the mornington peninsula

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:47 am

Just smashed it full steam to get in for an 0730 breakfast seminar ... which actually starts at 0800. Ah doy.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:38 am

Good planning Lizzy to give yourself an extra half our to cool off before the meeting :D