How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jasonc

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:27 am

Garmin said 1.8 degrees. Cold

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:34 pm

Grabbed my bike to go home yesterday, rolled the front wheel to check the lights were working (dynohub) and the tailight flickered and went out. Up on the stand, fiddled with connections etc whilst spinning the wheel, eventually found a break in the cable.

I'll just use my spare light. - No I won't, I put that on the tandem to ride on Saturday.
I'll pay the convenience tax and buy one from the dispensing machine. $30 was pricey but at least the Lezyne KTV is a decent light. - I guess it would be too much to ask that it was charged...
I ended up riding the longer route with more path, less road and relying on my Proviz vest and bike mounted reflectors.

Then today whilst chatting in the bike shed to a fellow rider, I looked at the dispensing machine again, and two slots away was a pair of lights with batteries that were $20. :oops:

Now that it is charged the light is good. Need to do some cabling this weekend.

Cheers,

Cameron
Last edited by ironhanglider on Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:42 am

First commute back after pneumonia - bleah it was slow & hard but at least I made it.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:08 am

Big headwind and I had to watch some idiot roadie ride through a level crossing in front of a long freight/ goods train. I decided to bypass and go the long way through Mawson lakes rather than wait when I saw the train, but this Darwin Award nominee decide his journey was more important than road rules and after waiting for ~20 secs at boom gates, crossed a major rail intersection (4 + lines) in front of the train and about 150 waiting tradies and truckies. I now know where the agro comes from down Dry Creek way....Some people.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:12 pm

Nice to see our old friend the sun on this morning's commute in Melbourne. It has been a while.

kb

Postby kb » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:53 pm

Almost felt fit this morning. Alas, it was just a tailwind.

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:54 pm

about to leave home this morning when i noticed that it was starting to rain. grabbed the rain jacket.
rode with a smug look on my face as the jacket kept me warm and dry when passing cars stuck in peak-hour traffic.
3kms from office, it's all sunny with only damp streets all around.
reached office perspiring heavily, cooking in the rain jacket. bleah ..

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:59 pm

kb wrote:Almost felt fit this morning. Alas, it was just a tailwind.
it will come kb.

caneye - i have a wind jacket and haven't found a suitable weather condition for it yet. unless they want to steam me on the way to work

beat home a decent looking storm in brisbane.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:52 pm

Bit chilly this morning but the wind, aah, just about no wind at all. So much nicer not having to fight the wind all the time.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:20 pm

cycling although a bit sick, tubes flattened twice, one from home, one to home. had to go back as I didn't bring my purse, bought new tubes, but got flat again. now on my last tube.

Did cover the tyre and rim with mount tape from bunnings to decrease chance of puncture, hope it works

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:09 pm

Happy Monday one and all ...

It is no longer pitch dark when I have to leave, yayyy ... Backyard weather station read 1.9C, weather on the radio announced 7C. Caught between two outfits -- who to believe?! Followed Audrey Hepburn's timeless advice and removed one accessory before leaving the house, that's if you'd call a merino base layer an accessory ... whatever, was a good decision and a nice comfy windless ride.

Spring just around the corner :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:42 pm

Riding with new bar tape (inner tube and badmointon overgrips actually) and shifter position (made it more lower so I can shift and brake while at the drops)

Saw a car crashing into the wall-fence around Belfield, at Punchbowl road and Perisic st intersection. There was a police car and then down the way there was a firefighter truck, probably coming there.

Still cold although it should be hotter. It also rained a little in the morning

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:48 am

Melbourne was freezing this morning (literally): my bike's GPS computer got down to -3.2° during my ride to work.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:41 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:Melbourne was freezing this morning (literally): my bike's GPS computer got down to -3.2° during my ride to work.
Wow, what time was that? Didn't seem too bad at ~8:30, although the sun was shining which makes everything feel better.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:54 am

Police blocking bicentennial bike way checking for bells again this morning

kb

Postby kb » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:05 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:Melbourne was freezing this morning (literally): my bike's GPS computer got down to -3.2° during my ride to work.
Wow, what time was that? Didn't seem too bad at ~8:30, although the sun was shining which makes everything feel better.
By 8:30 it had got up to around -0.8° on the KCT/MYT. Was dressed for 15° - I’ll learn one of these days

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:19 pm

jasonc wrote:Police blocking bicentennial bike way checking for bells again this morning
Yea I got stopped this morning as I exited the tunnel that goes under Corro drive.

the motorbike cop said it was road safety awareness week or something, gave me a pen and asked if I had a bell, which I pinged for him haha.

Guy next to me had no bell, but the cop didn't notice, hopefully he wasn't fining every poor bugger that he stopped with no bell.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:34 pm

adam0bmx0 wrote:
jasonc wrote:Police blocking bicentennial bike way checking for bells again this morning
Yea I got stopped this morning as I exited the tunnel that goes under Corro drive.

the motorbike cop said it was road safety awareness week or something, gave me a pen and asked if I had a bell, which I pinged for him haha.

Guy next to me had no bell, but the cop didn't notice, hopefully he wasn't fining every poor bugger that he stopped with no bell.
Good day to have an air zound - the requirement is for a "a bell, horn or similar warning device in working order."

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:05 am

... and this morning was even colder. I'm looking forward to the Pyrénées next week...

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:00 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:
... and this morning was even colder. I'm looking forward to the Pyrénées next week...
Well you usually get Adelaide's weather the next day, and this morning was very mild. I didn't even need gloves!

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:51 pm

First time putting a towel between the straps to stop wind blowing to my neck. Works rather good. Then was attacked around stanmore by magpies, decked twice, but thanks to my motorcycle helmet, I think his beak was hurting instead, probably will buy a fullface helmet as my friend told me about magpies attacking his ears until they bleed.

quite sunny too

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:37 pm

opik_bidin wrote:...Then was attacked around stanmore by magpies, decked twice, but thanks to my motorcycle helmet, I think his beak was hurting instead, probably will buy a fullface helmet as my friend told me about magpies attacking his ears until they bleed.

quite sunny too
On the silver lining side - we can forthwith suspend all discussion about helmet requirements in Australia until November! :D

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:33 pm

Howzat wrote:
opik_bidin wrote:...Then was attacked around stanmore by magpies, decked twice, but thanks to my motorcycle helmet, I think his beak was hurting instead, probably will buy a fullface helmet as my friend told me about magpies attacking his ears until they bleed.

quite sunny too
On the silver lining side - we can forthwith suspend all discussion about helmet requirements in Australia until November! :D
Although there was that Canberra study that showed not wearing a helmet reduced the strike rate compared to wearing one.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:34 pm

pretty ho-hum meh type of commute. nothing out of the ordinary. friday and cold.

ever had 1 of those commuting days when you're taking the shower at work and wondering ... gee, how the heck did i get here???

i wasn't day-dreaming or deep in thought whilst cycling. i could remember details if i forced myself to. but the day just blended into another winter commuting day ..

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:06 pm

caneye wrote:i wasn't day-dreaming or deep in thought whilst cycling. i could remember details if i forced myself to. but the day just blended into another winter commuting day ..
I'm going out on a limb and calling winter over here in Brisbane. It was 9 degrees overnight, so still cool. Tonight it will only get down to 15, and then the rest of next week it is all around 11 or 12.

So that's it - the cold weather has gone. I'm certain.