How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

DavidS

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby DavidS » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:25 pm

jasonc wrote:First ride in a while without my gilet
Yeah, me too on the way home. Nice.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:47 am

Once again morons come in 3s
  1. truck blew through a give way sign without bothering to slow down or look, let alone give way - emergency braking saw me stop just before getting hit
  2. pedestrian on 1 side of the bike path, dog on the other, fortunately no leash between them
  3. "professional" taxi driver managed to break 3 road rules at once - stopped blocking the ramp off the bike path, contrary to no-stopping sign, obstructing traffic
Hopefully things return to the normal quiet for the trip home

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:22 am

Beautiful morning here this morning, shame the ride was truncated by arriving at work.

As I crested the first climb two inconsiderate clowns flew out in front of me. Cue emergency braking until they managed to gather enough speed and get away in front. No idea. It’s as if I startled them from their morning breakfast of bottle brush nectar and they thought that taking off along my line of travel was going to mean the little green lorikeets didn’t want to get eaten.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:08 pm

bychosis wrote:Beautiful morning here this morning, shame the ride was truncated by arriving at work.
IKR, seems to happen to me ALL the time ...

Now that I can grip handlebars again following last week's pterodactyl attack - was nice to get back out there. Midseason makes outfit selection challenging, but got by OK with light jersey with a merino underlay and shorts. It's also nice not to be taking off in pitch darkness.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:58 pm

Super busy in new job... dont even have time to do personal stuff... missing the government gigs... commutes have been short and direct. I picked up a cheap fixie and then broke the chain...7km walk. otherwise pretty uneventful... havent even been hit in a few months but have dropped my km by 200km a week... will have to start gearing it up soon
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:28 pm

cancan64 wrote:Super busy in new job... dont even have time to do personal stuff... missing the government gigs... commutes have been short and direct. I picked up a cheap fixie and then broke the chain...7km walk. otherwise pretty uneventful... havent even been hit in a few months but have dropped my km by 200km a week... will have to start gearing it up soon
Buying a fixie and then gearing it up? What was wrong with the other bike? :D Maybe you are going to put a s3x hub on it.

Cheers,

Cameron

geminimum

Postby geminimum » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:17 pm

Braved my first ride to work in the rain today, seeing as it's clearing up in Parra. It was quite cold but no sign of magpie who attacked me on Mon morning. My face was cold and there was some headwind by the riverbank. I wished I had on my long sleeve merino but at least my cycling jacket kept the wind away (kinda) and I had my long sleeve gloves on again. Syd weather is unpredictable!

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:55 pm

Today was the first morning ride for a long time where I didn't even consider a second layer. Just my jersey - no thought of gilet, jacket or anything else. Spring has come to Brisbane!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:03 pm

Surprisingly uneventful for a Friday night.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:29 am

Made it within 500 m of work when the rain came down - arrived just as wet as if it had been raining the entire trip

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:49 am

^ Beautiful sunny day here in Melbourne, with just a bit of chill to keep the engine cool.

kb

Postby kb » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:29 pm

P!N20 wrote:^ Beautiful sunny day here in Melbourne, with just a bit of chill to keep the engine cool.
Although pre-work ride yesterday hit -2.4°C. Which I wouldn’t actually mind except I was expecting a low of 7°...

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:00 pm

Was soft today and didn’t ride to work in the rain. The bom was saying up to 30mm. It’s hasnt rained a drop since I got to work this morning at 06:00 :(

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:26 pm

All the Brisbane commuters on my Strava feed this week seem to be labeling their rides either, "Dodged the rain", or, "Got drenched". Or words to that effect :)

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:45 pm

mexican standoff with a baby goanna on the M2 breakdown lane a few days ago.
i squeezed between it and the gutter. hopefully it decided to return to the bush rather than scamper across 6 lanes of traffic ..

short bursts of rain here. certainly put the raincoat to good use this week. still have a pair of shoes drying and stinking in the garage.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:02 pm

I live in Ringwood North, and so my daily home/work commute to Melbourne CBD is a pretty hilly one in both directions. This week, on my first commute since returning from the Pyrénées in France, I barely noticed the hills here. :D But then I did ride over there for 29 consecutive days, averaging about 80km and 1700m climbing per day, covering many cols, ski stations, lakes and a few other attractions.

Of course, I did notice the difference in driver attitudes, unfortunately. Over there, careless or aggressive motorists are far less common than they are here.

2 more observations, which I had on my previous trips to France (and Italy): (a) the 'col' *** signs, which are there purely for cyclists' benefit, and which the Australian government would never even consider spending money on; and (b) motorists veering right and/or slowing and/or putting their right-hand indicators on, simply to let cyclists (who are descending a climb behind them) know that they're encouraged to overtake the motorists. That's because more motorists over there recognise that getting from point A to B at the highest possible speed isn't the primary goal, and they also recognise that cyclists have the advantage when descending steep, winding, narrow mountain roads. This, of course, is an extremely rare occurrence in Australia, given how biased the country is towards cyclists.

*** I quoted the word 'col', because these signs are also commonly installed on climbs up to ski stations, and sometimes even for climbs leading to neither a col nor a ski station.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:08 pm

Wet. Lots of wet

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:31 pm

So wet, so rainy, but no magpies

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:00 pm

Wet roads but only a couple of light showers
Edit: 10k commuting for the year

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:07 am

another wet commute, with a puncture

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:17 pm

Wet this arvo in Melbourne, almost forgotten what its like. Been very dry of late.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:37 pm

Finally a dry commute. Rode out with bmx Adam

kb

Postby kb » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:50 pm

DavidS wrote:Wet this arvo in Melbourne, almost forgotten what its like. Been very dry of late.

DS
I got drenched but at least it stayed above 14°

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:55 pm

kb wrote:
DavidS wrote:Wet this arvo in Melbourne, almost forgotten what its like. Been very dry of late.

DS
I got drenched but at least it stayed above 14°
14? We won't see 14 or below till May next year

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:13 am

wet. again