How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

poohkies

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby poohkies » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:48 am

lovely ride home this morning, but is very late (early even, need sleep) one more commute for the week :)

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:06 am

Headwind into work this morning , but managed to avoid the rain showers :D

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:47 am

wet roads and drizzle turned into blue sky. was awesome on coot-tha riding through a cloud.
had one of the heaviest backpacks this morning i've ever had. urgh

alexander

Postby alexander » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:06 am

Melbourne:

Was 20 degrees when I left at 7:15. A lot less riders today. Obviously the heat, and it being Friday perhaps meant that people took the day off riding. Took it a lot easier, and still got hot. Got passed by a few riders this morning. I normally try to pull a wheel if they are passing me, but I really didn't care this morning.

Got to my city coffee place, and enjoyed a lovely coffee while talking to the staff. Got my fresh coffee for the machine at home. It's making my bag smell so nice.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:14 am

alexander wrote:Melbourne:

Was 20 degrees when I left at 7:15. A lot less riders today. Obviously the heat, and it being Friday perhaps meant that people took the day off riding.
I noticed that too. I didn't get passed as much. :P

Ride home last night was a bit tough with the headwind. Ride in this morning was sore as I've slightly twinged a gluteal muscle doing something or other (don't think it was riding - probably the gym session I did at home on Thursday morning doing burpies and squats etc.).

Razorwolf

Postby Razorwolf » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:47 am

Brisbane:

left at 6.30 weather was great! (a little overcast and cool for summer).
Worked really hard and managed to stay behind 2 riders that were way faster than me so I got to work 2minutes earlier but my legs burn.

:)

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:31 pm

didn't commute today, didn't sleep enough and my legs are killing me :(

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:06 pm

drizzle on the way home too. have one very dirty bike and one a bit dirty to deal with this weekend. first commuting week of 2014. too many to go

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:00 pm

Jason how do u do so many Km's etc and your legs recover?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:00 am

poohkies wrote:Jason how do u do so many Km's etc and your legs recover?
i have a daily recovery routine
i spend time on a physio roller each night, do a bit of stretching and I put an ice pack between my knees for 15 minutes or so
I try and do all the above even on days I don't ride.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:25 am

Sweet I'll have to look into that

Fantastic ride this morning, did a heap or pb's on the way in, down just over an hour which was good, need to get under an hour and I'll be happy!

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:29 am

After a hot ride yesterday it was very different on the the ride to work this morning. Thick mist and 10C was a bit of a change. Sun is out now and it's warming up to another hot day.

alexander

Postby alexander » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:14 am

Melbourne:

This week is going to be hot. 35º Monday, 41º Tuesday, 39º Wednesday, 41º Thursday, 40º Friday.

A lot of riders this morning. More annoyingly, two dolts who decided to cross on red lights. I ended up catching both of them again. Seriously whats the rush? Or do you need that much of a head start because you're rubbish? :twisted:

Seems the news years resolutions and warm dry weather means more people are on their bikes, which is great. But there's still too many people doing silly stuff, and it's giving us a bad name.

The weather was only 15º this morning, and not a breath of wind, which was so nice. Lovely commute this morning, although tonight on the way home will be different.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:27 am

Tested out the road tyres and backpack for the commute today, instead of Schwalbe Marathon Pluses and pannier rack/trunk bag. (The bag also has a water bladder, important given Melbourne's forecast)

I also took the road route instead of the bike paths. Total time was 30 mins vs. 40 mins normal moving time and 36 vs 45 mins total trip time.

It made for an interesting ride. Definitely have to be more switched on riding on the road, but also more likely to have a group of riders than the paths where I pass people more often than stay with.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:09 am

Back in the saddle this morning, got up a little later than usual and opted for a shorter route into the Melbourne CBD. The legs were a little surprised at the sudden demands made on them after a lazy week in WA riding only to the beach, but all in all the ride was good.
The cagers appeared to be at their lethal best this morning (as far as wildlife is concerned), with two roos mowed down within 50m of each other on Plenty Rd at Bundoora. :(
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

westab

Postby westab » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:30 am

First ride back this morning to work - good ride, I was surprised by the little that I have lost over the three weeks without riding.

Also very few cars on the road - an enjoyable ride in. Hope to add an extra thousand kms to this years commutes as I have found a better route to work. it will help get rid of the extra 3kg of extra weight that have crept onto the gut over Christmas / new year.

Target for the year 6000km commuting.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:28 pm

I injured my thigh on Sunday (the inexperienced horse decided he wanted to go AROUND a jump instead of over it and in the process smashed my thigh into the heavy side gate that holds the poles up). Didn't knock me off the horse although it did shunt me back behind the saddle. Once I got the bucking bronco under control and calm again I hopped off and had a breather (head between the legs breather to get rid of the faint feeling). Knew I'd be feeling it today but I got back on the horse and did the jump again (never leave on a bad note and all that mojo). The bruise looks like it'll start at the top of the leg and finish at the knee (really did a number on that quad). Hopefully only bruising of the muscle and nothing more.

I had to skip this morning's run as I can't put much pressure on the leg but strapped it up and attempted to ride to work (the trams aren't running along my route due to works and the nearest train station is a fair walk anyway which means not much point switching modes of transport). Once I actually managed to clip the injured leg into the pedal (thank the lucky stars I have clipless pedals to keep the leg in position) I rode in slowly with pain on every upstroke of that leg. Yay. Still enjoyed the ride in, even with the pain as it was a lovely morning. And I managed to catch most of the green lights, which was nice so I didn't have to slow the pedaling down (slower pedaling = more ouchies).

It's going to be interesting on the ride home in the heat. :)

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:41 pm

well after a 10 hour day, and leaving home at 3:40am this morning and gettng home now at 17:15 i'm very happy with my commutes both ways, got heaps of PR's both ways, which means i'm getting fitter / faster :)

Paul 1965

Postby Paul 1965 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:42 pm

This week is going to be hot. 35º Monday, 41º Tuesday, 39º Wednesday, 41º Thursday, 40º Friday.
Forecasting 43 for tomorrow now in Melbourne, how does everyone cope commuting in this type of dry heat?

turtle rider

Postby turtle rider » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:27 pm

Paul 1965 wrote:

Forecasting 43 for tomorrow now in Melbourne, how does everyone cope commuting in this type of dry heat?
No enjoyment riding in that temp. I cycled to work this morning and went a different way that included 2 extra hills , but i had to drive home in the work car when i arrived as i was wet and sweaty and needed a change of clothes. Might avoid the hills tomorrow.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:26 pm

poohkies wrote:well after a 10 hour day, and leaving home at 3:40am this morning and gettng home now at 17:15 i'm very happy with my commutes both ways, got heaps of PR's both ways, which means i'm getting fitter / faster :)
you're scaring me

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:47 pm

Warm today but not too bad. The rest of the week looks daunting. I'll have a go but if I get too tired in the heat then I'll have to go in the train. Train ain't much fun on a really hot day.

How do we cope? I take an extra water bottle (which makes 3) so I have enough water to toss over myself to keep cooler. You still get hot but at least it is bearable. On hot days I also remove the helmet earlier, about 4KMs from home. Stupid law made stupider on very hot days. My water bottles are also partially frozen at work so the water stays cold all the way home.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:09 am

jasonc wrote:
poohkies wrote:well after a 10 hour day, and leaving home at 3:40am this morning and gettng home now at 17:15 i'm very happy with my commutes both ways, got heaps of PR's both ways, which means i'm getting fitter / faster :)
you're scaring me
Scared or excited Jason :)

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:45 am

First commute for the week. As a result of racing on the weekend I have made the commitment that I really need to start pulling the finger out on my commutes and start visiting the pain factory. I take it too easy on my commutes normally....and this is where/why it would be great to have a commuting partner to help push me.

I went hard from the get go and kept pushing, despite a mildish headwind all the way, and ended up getting my second best commute avge I believe..34.7 k/h for my 45 k commute. From now on I will be happy with anything above a 33 k avge until my fitness improves a bit more.

The commute home may not be as hard :)

Razorwolf

Postby Razorwolf » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:51 am

gretaboy wrote:34.7 k/h for my 45 k commute
That's pretty quick! My average is only 24.5km/h for a 20k commute.