How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

bychosis

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby bychosis » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:30 am

Sublime. Cool, sunny, relaxed. Enjoyed it.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:14 am

It's getting better every day. Extending my commute home from 3km to 20km is nice, too.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:34 am

The weather here is all over the place... have had heavy rain... winds and below 10c to and from work... and then here was yesterday which was magic...today back to windy, wet and cold.
Also for some reason the alarm didnt go off and woke up 5 min after I should have left... on the good side it got me out of jogging but I have a bike packing trip this weekend with day 1 having some tough tracks to climb so was hoping to taper off the effort... that didnt happen..
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:49 am

Commute spoiled by a muppet in a smokebox today, bad start to the day. First got me scared, then angry. From side street, g=hesitated then pulled out as I passed the intersection. She had to use the wrong side of the road to accelerate while I was doing 60km/h down a big hill. Then as I pedalled furiously to maintain speed she passed me at probably 80km/h (50 zone), admittedly with a wide berth. So cranky I wanted to catch up, but couldn't and went in too hot to the next roundabout right turn and nearly hit the kerb on the exit. So cranky because A: I usually have to brake behind cars that have passed as I enter the roundabout faster than them, but I nearly crashed instead and B: couldn't catch her to get the rego.

Must think Frozen: Let it go, let it goooooo!
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:14 pm

First storm of the season. Got wet. Mistimed it by 10 minutes

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:44 pm

Lovely day in Melbourne and a very good average speed (for me) of over 26KMh today. Hoping to maintain some better average speeds as the weather improves.

Nothing unusual from the morons I share the roads with, probably some closeish passes but I don't remember them much any more.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:34 pm

Got told that cyclists weave all over the road & that he was looking forward to me being run over soon. Sadly nothing unusual about that - but I was in the lift at work.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:47 pm

find_bruce wrote:Got told that cyclists weave all over the road & that he was looking forward to me being run over soon. Sadly nothing unusual about that - but I was in the lift at work.
Tell Magda Szubanksi to take the stairs next time.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:27 pm

find_bruce wrote:Got told that cyclists weave all over the road & that he was looking forward to me being run over soon. Sadly nothing unusual about that - but I was in the lift at work.
Please tell me it was a great opportunity to tell them they could do with some exercise, but you'll probably die from diabetes/heart disease/lung cancer first.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:14 am

biker jk wrote:Tell Magda Szubanksi to take the stairs next time.
That's a bit harsh - on Magda that is. I could use the stairs but I don't like carrying the extra 14kg, but he had way more excess baggage than that.
bychosis wrote:Please tell me it was a great opportunity to tell them they could do with some exercise, but you'll probably die from diabetes/heart disease/lung cancer first.
It was a great opportunity, but sadly one I didn't take as I must have left my humour in my other pants. Besides the bulbous red nose & slightly yellow skin suggests cirrhosis will kill him first. It is possible that I did spend some time assessing his character flaws but such language probably wouldn't get past the word filter.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:34 am

find_bruce wrote:
biker jk wrote:Tell Magda Szubanksi to take the stairs next time.
That's a bit harsh - on Magda that is. I could use the stairs but I don't like carrying the extra 14kg, but he had way more excess baggage than that.
bychosis wrote:Please tell me it was a great opportunity to tell them they could do with some exercise, but you'll probably die from diabetes/heart disease/lung cancer first.
It was a great opportunity, but sadly one I didn't take as I must have left my humour in my other pants. Besides the bulbous red nose & slightly yellow skin suggests cirrhosis will kill him first. It is possible that I did spend some time assessing his character flaws but such language probably wouldn't get past the word filter.
I'd be considering some sort of official complaint. We've got to fight these mouth-breathers at every opportunity.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:35 pm

Garmin died this morning ☹

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:05 pm

jasonc wrote:Garmin died this morning ☹
Upgrade!

Maybe treat yourself to a new bike to put it on, too :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:58 pm

RobertL wrote:I'd be considering some sort of official complaint. We've got to fight these mouth-breathers at every opportunity.
Self employed person & so unlikely to be any formal avenue of complaint. Time does wound all heals however
How did you get to work then, because if your garmin died, its not on strava --> if its not on strava it didn't happen --> you can't have ridden to work :)

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:48 am

heading home yesterday and a cyclist was sitting on the side of the bike path...asked if he was ok and he said he punctured but the bike shop gave a tube that was to big and his mate has gone to another bike shop to get the correct one.. checked his rims and they were 700c, he had taken the tyre off and put the tube on but there was some slack... I took the tube off and aligned it with old one to show him its the correct size... put the tyre on 1 side...slipped tube in and put other side of tyre on and gave it back to him to pump up...happy camper
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:04 am

find_bruce wrote:
How did you get to work then, because if your garmin died, its not on strava --> if its not on strava it didn't happen --> you can't have ridden to work :)
Because i have a Garmin vivoactive hr that i wear that i was able to use. Lost just over 1km of the ride.
I happen to have a spare Garmin at the moment. I used it on the way home. It lost the first half of my ride. Not having a good week

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:19 am

The approaching summer means earlier sunrises. Earlier sunrises mean now that it's open slather for the magpies to give me a touchup on the way to work.

Got hit by 2 different birds on the Eastern Service Rd at Burpengary this morning :roll:

kb

Postby kb » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:49 am

singlespeedscott wrote:The approaching summer means earlier sunrises. Earlier sunrises mean now that it's open slather for the magpies to give me a touchup on the way to work.

Got hit by 2 different birds on the Eastern Service Rd at Burpengary this morning :roll:
Daylight Savings tomorrow. Oh, Queensland... whoops :-)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:01 pm

kb wrote: Daylight Savings tomorrow. Oh, Queensland... whoops :-)
Think of the curtains and the poor cows :roll:

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:21 am

Have had daylight savings here for a week now... just need sunshine...

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:19 pm

We got both today.woohoo. Fun fun fun on the arvo run :D

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:40 pm

Ooh I do love daylight saving. Not being a morning person helps, can't seem to go to bed before 12.30-1 each night.

Nice day today, great for the ride to work.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:38 am

Wet roads in. Wasn't too bad considering all the overnight rain

tabb

Postby tabb » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:08 am

Actually my favoured kind of commute. Next to no pedestrians and wandering dogs to contend with. :)

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:47 am

jasonc wrote:Wet roads in. Wasn't too bad considering all the overnight rain

Ditto.

And I'm sorry for making it rain. After all, I washed, cleaned and lubed two of my bikes on Friday afternoon - so it's all my fault :(