How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

oxonabike

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby oxonabike » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:54 pm

Commuter bike was out of position (ie: still at work) for the trip in this morning, so the roadie was rostered for the run. Wow, fast trip very enjoyable. Infact, noting the headwind out there, I think it will be doing the return run tonight. The commuter can go home in the car with the wife!

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:45 pm

rheicel wrote:Wet morning ride to work. I am fully equipped today, so there is no problem riding in wet. I only saw one cyclist though :-)
Where are the others?
It is only hard on my first step outside. Once I have stepped onto the pedals, adrenalin kicked in and there is "no stopping me" after that. Went straight to the hot shower at work after the commute.

Here is the short video of my commute...

I saw one other cyclist between Dural & Nth Sydney. It was mostly drizzle at 5:30am, but due to flooding I had to detour around my usual M2 underpass route, and the poor visibility from headlights reflecting on the road meant that I took the circuitous backstreet route.
Should get a dry ride home as we've been given the ok to bail early before the nasty weather arrives.
If it is awful tomorrow I will work from home.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:04 pm

[quote="rheicel"]Wet morning ride to work. I am fully equipped today, so there is no problem riding in wet. I only saw one cyclist though :-)
Where are the others?
It is only hard on my first step outside. Once I have stepped onto the pedals, adrenalin kicked in and there is "no stopping me" after that. Went straight to the hot shower at work after the commute.

Rheicel, Thanks for the video- having lived up Mowbray Road up to the start of 2013 (and still owning property along there) was good memories, one question, has the Shell and Maccas at Lane Cove West turned into a construction Site?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:23 pm

CXCommuter wrote:
rheicel wrote:Wet morning ride to work. I am fully equipped today, so there is no problem riding in wet. I only saw one cyclist though :-)
Where are the others?

Rheicel, Thanks for the video- having lived up Mowbray Road up to the start of 2013 (and still owning property along there) was good memories, one question, has the Shell and Maccas at Lane Cove West turned into a construction Site?
The Shell servo is now a hole in the ground, but the main building and car wash are still there. I think they are cleaning up where the fuel tanks were.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:37 pm

queequeg wrote: The Shell servo is now a hole in the ground, but the main building and car wash are still there. I think they are cleaning up where the fuel tanks were.
^This.

They will probably start the construction sooner than later. Time is money to the builders!

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:39 pm

queequeg wrote:I saw one other cyclist between Dural & Nth Sydney. It was mostly drizzle at 5:30am, but due to flooding I had to detour around my usual M2 underpass route, and the poor visibility from headlights reflecting on the road meant that I took the circuitous backstreet route.
Should get a dry ride home as we've been given the ok to bail early before the nasty weather arrives.
If it is awful tomorrow I will work from home.
Car for the next two days as I have early medical appointments on those days. :-(
I will be back commuting only on Thursday!
Last edited by rheicel on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:41 pm

Bailed from work 35min early to beat the approaching wall of water. Home nice and dry!

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:29 pm

Wow, fog thicker than I have seen in years this morning. No fog before Albert Park though, Brighton and StKilda seemed fairly clear.

I can't believe people went out on Saturday morning, I stayed home in a nice warm bed as it ain't a work day so it ain't a commute day.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:02 am

Well despite the predictions of Armageddon here in Sydney, this mornings ride was dry and pretty good conditions. A nice moment when I gave a smile and wave to a motorist who had been nice and patient and she gave me a big smile and thumbs up.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:20 am

very cold in Brisbane this morning. half way around the riverloop it was 5.5 degrees. happy I wasn't leaving home then - would have been about 2 degrees.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:43 am

Uneventful ride back yesterday afternoon, coolish, and a few drops from a hazy sky.
Warmer at 3C this morning, some damp/wet patches from the previous night's rain/drizzle. Good thing we didn't hit freezing again, would have been a very slippery ride otherwise. Lots of fog made parts of the trail quite eerie, and the sound-insulating quality of the fog instilled an interesting sense of isolation. Incident free ride into the Melb CBD, which is always pleasant.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:10 am

I thought it'd be foggy the whole way in to work but it burnt off before I got to Hoddle Street. It was a lovely ride in today.

And last night's ride home was okay too, apart from one MGIF who roared past me in the straight-ahead lane as I'm in the bike/left turn lane, then indicated to turn left in front of me, had merged halfway into my/the left turn lane and then decided he'd actually seen me (or realised the speed I was going wasn't as slow as he'd thought) so stopped his turning to presumably let me undertake on the left of him. No way was I putting myself in that position to get left-hooked even if he had seen me so he got waved to continue with his left hand turn.

Oh and the cars held me up again on one of the streets I ride... These slow cars should be registered. :wink: Not that I overly mind if I can cruise at a constant speed and they drive smoothly and don't decelerate quickly before the speed bumps.

Two uneventful commutes in a row. Lovely. :)

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:39 am

Foggy this morning..meant my glasses kept fogging up.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:00 am

Plenty of CCR action this morning (with me as the bunny). Lots of people out and about trying for that last bit of fitness before this weekends cyclosportiff at Swam Valley. Seriously things got dangerous with big trains of up to 8-10 roadies screaming past people at over 40km/h. Amazed no one got hurt. After being sick over the weekend and yesterday I took it at a moderate pace. If they are still around tomorrow might have to give it a stab at regaining some CCR points

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:59 am

Cairns and perfect riding conditions this morning although at 18 degrees I need to think about the full fingered gloves :wink:

Honourable mention to good guy motorist who performed a text book pass on a narrow bridge this morning. I was so impressed, I've uploaded it - who know's, maybe it might (should) become a training video!

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:12 pm

Back in the game :)

Was having a nice easy time of it this morning then 5 minutes out from the office I got nailed right in the face by a brief but powerful downpour. The only article of riding gear that didn't get saturated was my rain jacket, still safely tucked away in my trunkbag because I didn't feel like stopping.

In my haste to get out the door I grabbed the wrong pants - my skinny low-slung ones, when sadly I'm in a non-skinny phase ATM - luckily I keep a spare set of more office-appropriate mum-pants in my foot locker at work, because I'm sure my colleagues would much rather get their muffin top fix from the cafe ... :oops: Hooray for spares!
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Lizzy wrote:Hooray for spares!
N+1 works for clothing as well as bikes

welcome back Lizzy

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:47 pm

My commute this morning was wet...
<removed by request>

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:54 pm

Frustrated this morning. Gloriously clear, dry morning but my headlight failed unexpectedly just 5km from home so I had to turn back and make my way back home very carefully. Looks like I will be up for a new one.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:50 pm

Helped a fellow commuter with his jammed chain on the ride home tonight. My reward for this good Samaritan behaviour? My left pedal snapped in half a kilometre from home at the bottom of a 10% hill !! Where is the karma?
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:44 am

Beautiful conditions in Melbourne yesterday afternoon for the ride back via MYT, Banyule trail etc. Made it in a good time too.
Cold this morning, 1C according to the digital temp display on Heidelberg Rd, but arrived in the CBD in good shape.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

alkhoo

Postby alkhoo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:03 am

Uneventful commute in from Southern Cross to my Port Melbourne office except that it was freezing and my toes are just starting to thaw out after an hour in the office! I took the knobbies off the Crux last night (after Sunday's Melburn Roobaix) and put on 28mm Conti 4-Seasons - felt quicker this morning without all that rolling resistance. :D

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:26 am

I seem to be having pretty good luck in avoiding the rain here in Sydney. Wet roads this morning and strong winds but otherwise a pretty good ride in.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:27 am

__PG__ wrote:Helped a fellow commuter with his jammed chain on the ride home tonight. My reward for this good Samaritan behaviour? My left pedal snapped in half a kilometre from home at the bottom of a 10% hill !! Where is the karma?
now that sucks. maybe karma only works with the puncture fairy

coot-tha commute for me. not as cold as yesterday, still definitely cold enough

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:58 am

Had two days off the bike...and this is the story

Weatherman predicts foul weather for the whole week in NSW. I take the car Monday and the morning is nice and sunny, cold but sunny, and no rain at all for the day. Tuesday I am in the car again and same thing, cold, maybe a little windy but no rain. Jump on the bike this morning and as I am taking the bike out onto the road I see faint rain drops in the beam of the light. As I start riding down the street the rain drops get a little bigger. For 30 k's of the ride the rain is on and off, light then heavy. Last 15 k's of the ride and I hit headwinds that are pumping along at 40+ k/h.

Now, how good do I go to get the foul weather on my first ride of the week. I am now just hoping that the strong winds which I faced riding in, are still present when I ride home :)