How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

chuckchunder

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby chuckchunder » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:47 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Two weeks ago I was driving home and looked at that path and went "I so remember commuting on that 3 years ago"
Today I'm back :shock:
New job, with a fixed location instead of field engineer where I HAD to drive a work car :(

Headwind all the way to work except for the last 4km and a bit of CCR action. 27.8km one way for me
Hey welcome back! Are we likely to cross paths?
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:25 pm

I saw your brother on Monday. I'm hopefully commuting tomorrow back to Welshpool.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:36 am

First commute back this year. Avoided first two due to upset guts and not having eaten enough, third due to impending heat (and glad I did) so fourth day at work and onto the bike.

Bit of a southerly blowing, but not bad. Not too hot. I was just cruising along, enjoying it. As I crossed the road onto the sharepath I spotted a rider almost on my tail, looked around a few times as he missed the traffic gap and didn't cross immediately and thought he had gone the other way. Threaded my way past a few peds, still in cruise mode. Then, a couple of km late looked behind me before passing some more and got a shock was there he was drafting me (with a tailwind). No biggie, other than the surprise. Took a few moments to decide wether to stand-stomp-drop and kept my leisurely pace. Hopped a kerb to avoid some peds at a crossing point and dropped him, but he came back after I got caught in more traffic.

Wonder whether he was attempting CCR or didn't have the legs to keep up. Either way, I was cruising and shouldn't have been hard to pass.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:32 am

Got irritated at the front brake chatter from the TRP canti's on the Alan. Other than that Kent St was the smoothest one ever, almost as if they've changed the light phasing slightly...

Jim

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:26 am

Hot last night- just got home when the southerly hit (typical :roll: ). This morning had mr wheel suck in Sydney Uni Velo gear run up my rear end on the harbor Bridge at the "pinch point" work site as I stopped (with hand signal) for an oncoming rider. Advised each other of our lack of good genetic breeding then headed on our separate ways.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:55 am

CXCommuter wrote:...harbor Bridge at the "pinch point" work site as I stopped (with hand signal) for an oncoming rider...
How long is that thing meant to be there? It is very poorly placed for path use, more driven by the work requirements below, no doubt.

It really has the potential to cause a lot of havoc. I was following a guy on this morning heading north, I'd caught up to him about 1/3 of the way across the bridge. He spent the next 1/3 of the bridge checking over his shoulder every 3 seconds and speeding up when he kept seeing me there. Not that he was going too fast or too slow, but I was happy to wait behind him. I ended up backing off to half pace to give him some space. He then proceeds to nearly clip the witches hat cause he was looking for me not forward.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:44 pm

familyguy wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:...harbor Bridge at the "pinch point" work site as I stopped (with hand signal) for an oncoming rider...
How long is that thing meant to be there? It is very poorly placed for path use, more driven by the work requirements below, no doubt.

It really has the potential to cause a lot of havoc. I was following a guy on this morning heading north, I'd caught up to him about 1/3 of the way across the bridge. He spent the next 1/3 of the bridge checking over his shoulder every 3 seconds and speeding up when he kept seeing me there. Not that he was going too fast or too slow, but I was happy to wait behind him. I ended up backing off to half pace to give him some space. He then proceeds to nearly clip the witches hat cause he was looking for me not forward.
It regularly causes issues for myself and others, it can be hard to see oncoming traffic, several times have had to stop three quarters of the way through as someone just ignores the narrow path and blats straight through.
Sigh, I can remember the bridge path before they narrowed it for the "safety" barrier.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:14 pm

First for the year, and as usual hot. No wind tho :D

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:39 pm

fat and old wrote:First for the year, and as usual hot. No wind tho :D
Wow, sounds just like me, I had my first commute for the year and it was hot, but tomorrow will be hotter.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

tez001

Postby tez001 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:38 am

It will be hot in Sydney this arvo too, water bottle is in the freezer for the commute home :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:23 am

humid this morning. went through my whole water bottle.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:52 pm

3 water bottle day in Melbourne, and a visit to the dentist on the way home. Also soaked the jersey in water half way home to keep cool.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:20 am

Hot this morning, little sleep last night. Left home at around 615 and the Garmin said it was 32 degrees. Maxxed out at 36 degrees and there was a hot NW blowing, which for the most part was a headwind. Nearly got blown off the bike with a gust as I passed a building next to the track. Got to work and the drink bottle was noticeably warm.

Not the best morning to add 20km to the commute. Feeling flat now.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:28 am

Summer has hit Auckland as well.... avg 15c this morning, I think I had a mouthful of water although went through a bottle of water before cycling to work at gym/core class.
day off the bike yesterday as i was in Wellington. I work at the base of Mt Eden so head up there as a warm up to ride home but Monday a bus decided to overtake me on the entrance climb, problem was he cant see if anyone is coming down, which there was so he decided to pull into me... he managed to clip me as I stopped and fortunately his trailer missed me.. confronted the driver who tried blaming the car coming down but as I was leaving he muttered something about i shouldnt be on the road... went back for 2nd round and he back pedaled a lot...closest I have come to hitting someone in a while. ... will leave Mt Eden for the mornings now when there is no buses or clueless tourists
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:51 am

the heat and humidity is back in brissy - cancan - i don't think you'd appreciate it. thoroughly enjoyed the swim in the pool at home last night. the 2017 endomondo commuter challenge already has a bolter with ironhandglider have a 150km lead.

westab

Postby westab » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:36 pm

Sydney very hot this morning (last night also) - it was like walking out into an oven at 8am when the temp was 37 degrees C.

When I got to work 12km later I was spent and received applause from my workmates who had been betting on if I would work from home. It was still a good ride as for once I had a tail wind which is a rare thing.

The great news is that the weather has changed and it will be a nice cool ride home - and I can't wait.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:07 pm

westab wrote:The great news is that the weather has changed and it will be a nice cool ride home - and I can't wait.
the current apparent temperature for me is 36 degrees. but i have a tail wind

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:31 pm

Hot yesty. Nice today. Southerly today too :D

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Howling southerly this afternoon. Temp dropped by about 15 degrees from the ride to work, but nearly blew me back to work it was that strong. Still once I rounded the horn the tailwind was sweet and got me a second place on a segment.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:09 am

oh man. the temp and humidity is smashing me. apparent temp of 30 degrees at 4:40 this morning. feel like i'm swimming to work.
talking to a bloke in town this morning who was commuting from beenleigh to eagle farm, via the city - 50 kms each way. massive respect for him.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:17 am

jasonc wrote:the heat and humidity is back in brissy - cancan - i don't think you'd appreciate it. thoroughly enjoyed the swim in the pool at home last night. the 2017 endomondo commuter challenge already has a bolter with ironhandglider have a 150km lead.
Auckland temp is perfect for cycling in.... well for me who sweats a lot.
looks like a bit of competition this year... I have decided after finally getting to a cycling weight to cut back on commuting and do gym classes .... a lot safer but will see how it goes.
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:32 am

cancan64 wrote: looks like a bit of competition this year...
I've won it the last two years. might be the honour of someone else this year

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:49 pm

jasonc wrote:oh man. the temp and humidity is smashing me. apparent temp of 30 degrees at 4:40 this morning. feel like i'm swimming to work.
talking to a bloke in town this morning who was commuting from beenleigh to eagle farm, via the city - 50 kms each way. massive respect for him.
Yup, proper toasty at the moment, and i got back from a very cold NZ last week so am finding it hard adjusting!

I thought it was a good idea to go up Cootha this AM, it wasn't.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:50 am

Much cooler this morning. 20min quicker than the horrid Tuesday morning effort with less fatigue at the end.

2 surprises on the way. A parrot dropped down out of an overhead tree not much higher than head height. It dropped to around hub height about half a metre in front of me (braking in surprise) before it gradually got under way and flew ahead. The path had a fence on both sides so the only way it could go was in front. Then later on a quiet sharepath, down hill at about 45km/h, came around a corner and saw a Council truck taking up 95% of the path with no room to pass. Surprise brakes again, rolled past and on my way.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:45 am

I enjoyed my Gore-Tex booties this morning. Very wet for the first half of the ride in Melbourne.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0