How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jasonc

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:01 pm

If you need a clamp I have a clamp for a project that your can have and replace (34.9 band)
tapatalk for Windows Phone. For when you want it done right

RedlandSteve

Postby RedlandSteve » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:16 pm

Thanks guys. It wasn't too bad on the way home. Already have replacement on order. Shimano FD-R443 8 speed version, bottom pull, braze on. 34.9 clamp prob work as well.

Next year when it happens again, I'll remember to ask here first.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:34 pm

Ride home was fun, once I got out of the CBD escaped the drunk pedestrians
Anything you can do, I can do slower

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:12 am

Good grief, most of my commute was happy as, except for a 1km stretch at Pyrmont where

(1) a taxi driver tried to door me. Fortunately I had slowed significantly before riding past.

(2) a zombie ped tried to step into me. Appeared surprised there might be a bike on the cycleway :roll: Notice the impressive headcheck before continuing to cross against the red

(3) I stop waiting for the lights, front of the queue, lights change I am about half way across the intersection when a dumb cyclist gets half way alongside and then tries to left hook me. Funnily enough not captured in video. Maybe I need side facing cameras :roll:

How much do I win for the trifecta ?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:37 pm

find_bruce wrote:How much do I win for the trifecta ?
Your life and sound limb. Congratulations, I think? :roll:

:P

Very windy ride in this morning, most of it being a headwind. I should have worn the bandanna as I had a coughing fit on the corner of Elizabeth and Collins due to all the gunk in the air. Silly me for forgetting.

Oh, and I also got smashed (effort wise) by a cargo bike up the Albert Street hill. The lady riding it wasn't even trying hard... I was initially concerned at how bad I'd obviously become due to the two days off the bike, but then quickly looked at her rear wheel and saw the telltale electric motor. Phew!!!

bigtbafe

Postby bigtbafe » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:22 pm

Last night's commute home wasn't so great. I was riding along a two lane road, going forward through a t-junction, without traffic lights. Guy was coming up the t-junction, turning right, the way I was going. I don't know if he didn't see me, or was trying to aim for me, but he came into my lane and, had I not been paying enough attention, would have sent me off into the curb.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:39 pm

Horrible headwind this morning, dunno why but I felt crappy. Now, looking at riding home with a ring of fire thanks to 5 days of meat bbq and no greens :? :cry: And it's hot in these work clothes.

Lots more traffic on the roads at 04:30 nowadays too. What's with that?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:18 pm

This morning was nice and I cruised on in. This afternoon storms rolled in around departure time. I watched the radar and decided to wait it out. While waiting I got a concerned phone call from home to reassure my son that I wouldn't be riding in the storm. There was a couple of people hit by lightning over the weekend and he was scared I was next. Lightning strikes had never really worried me before, but I probably would have waited for it to pass anyway. No point getting drowned wet when another 15min will mean you just get damp. Just as well I waited, apparently there was hail too. Picked a gap and got blown home with very little wet from above, but a lot from below, got to dry me shoes off now.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:58 pm

Trying to get back in the groove after a couple of weeks of being away & having too much on in too many far away places involving too much gear [/excuses].

Just out of home this morning I had to throw the anchors down hard to avoid a little lapdog out on its morning walk, she had been sitting nicely by the side of the road next to her person, but I swear - looked me in the eye, smiled and trotted out straight under my front wheel with about 2m to spare. Silly bitch* already had a cone on her head, she must really like having to go to the vet :/

*and I can say that because she probably actually is one :P
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:30 am

The dog walkers have been out in force last few days on the way home. Last night I got the full house, 1 doggie next to 2 mums with prams straight across the path. Actually had a go at me for not going off the path around them.

"Can't you see we've got babies"? :roll:

"That one on the leash is pretty ugly, you should have bred with me, I make beautiful kids. Bye now" :D

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:01 am

Back in the big smoke today for a meeting so my first commute in months...got a pb for the ride in along with a couple of top 10's...wonder how the ride would be if I didnt get all those lights and didnt have to lug the laptop and everything else into work...but then that wouldnt be commuting
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:30 am

nice job cancan

lizzy will appreciate this - it was foggy this morning so I had my sunnies sitting on my forehead. I took a corner sharp and had a leaf slap me in the eye.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:31 am

Yesterday I rode the MTB to work to give the tyre sealant in a new tyre a bit of a run. Still deflating a bit during the day but I couldn't be bothered pumping it up before going home. Should have. It was like riding in wet cement, and there was a headwind as well. Soooo slow. Roadie this morning was quite pleasant on the foreshore path, and significantly faster! I know now that my legs are not ready for the weekend. 100+Km off road in the highland fling is going to hurt on Sunday. Just haven't had the time to extend my commutes for training like I would have liked to.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:37 am

jasonc wrote:hmmm TW. does that count as a commute?
Cough..splutter... errr, how else would you classify a ride to the office and back?
Think you are scraping the bottom of the barrel here looking for rule infractions :mrgreen:

Melbourne traffic in the City and inner suburbs felt quite busy over the last week, but different to normal patterns, probably because of Cup week?
Going to be warm today, so a pit stop at my brother's place for some refreshments is definitely in order this afternoon!

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:41 am

fat and old wrote:The dog walkers have been out in force last few days on the way home. Last night I got the full house, 1 doggie next to 2 mums with prams straight across the path. Actually had a go at me for not going off the path around them.

"Can't you see we've got babies"? :roll:

"That one on the leash is pretty ugly, you should have bred with me, I make beautiful kids. Bye now" :D
Did you say that last one to them?... :shock: :mrgreen:

I also had a couple and a loose dog walking on the Walmer Street bridge - but I think both the owners and the dog were missing a few tools in their sheds (or on something). A cyclist had just overtaken me on the downhill approach (I was jogging) and we were both approaching the couple and the little brown dog. The dog then proceeded to stop directly in the path of the cyclist (on the wrong side of what is already a tight bridge shared path) and didn't make any attempt to move. The cyclist had to brake and wait for the dog to decide to move. Said dog-owning couple did absolutely nothing about it. I was right behind the couple as the cyclist had overtaken me not far behind the couple so the dog caused a backlog of overtaking cyclist and me. I made a comment that the dog should be on a leash. Didn't hear the response once the dog actually decided to move out of the way as I jogged off.

Anyway, the joys of shared paths. I prefer the road really. Lovely rides in and home these past few days. A couple of peds who like to put their life in my and other motorists' and cyclists' hands by stepping out onto the road after tram stops without looking. I especially love when the peds know their light is red and ours about to go green, stop, wait and then decide to make the dash after our light has gone green and we're moving off. Swanston and Collins superstop is an absolute classic for that.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:56 am

Summernight wrote: Did you say that last one to them?... :shock: :mrgreen:
Why not?

I was quiet and didn't disturb the babies, they were aggressive, rude and asked for it. I smiled and went on my way. I'm also ugly, so there's the irony. My kids are good looking though, thank god for their mum :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:14 pm

fat and old wrote:I'm also ugly, so there's the irony. My kids are good looking though, thank god for their mum :lol:
lucky Australia Post have beauty standards?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:27 pm

fat and old wrote:
Summernight wrote: Did you say that last one to them?... :shock: :mrgreen:
Why not?

I was quiet and didn't disturb the babies, they were aggressive, rude and asked for it. I smiled and went on my way. I'm also ugly, so there's the irony. My kids are good looking though, thank god for their mum :lol:
Hilarious. Would love to have seen their faces when you did. :D

noggin the nog

Postby noggin the nog » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:22 pm

Hi , new to the Forum and back in cycling after 15 years. I'm commuting to work on my bike in Ipswich, QLD.

Asking you all with loads of experience, is there an element of motorists who deliberately try and bait cyclists ??

I had one look straight at me, drive straight across the road causing me to stop sharply. The driver had a big grin on his face as he did it.

I never seemed to have this problem when i used to ride in Britain, why here in Aus ?

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:15 pm

35 degrees riding home today - a bit of a shock to the system time of year.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:25 pm

MEant to be a slow cruise on the way home today saving legs for sunday. THen what happens? e-bike ahead, of course I couldn't let him stay in front, used him forf a bit for shelter from the ehadwind tehn.... CCR+1

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:59 pm

I had an offsite meeting today, so I had to bus it in. As happens every time I use the bus, there was insane traffic on the way home and it took me 2 hours to get home, which worked out to an avg speed of 14km/h!
I was looking rather jealously at all the cyclists whizzing past me, trapped in a bus. If I had to do this every day I think I would just want my life to end!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:46 am

Ugly commute yesty. Went down to the job in Docklands from Preston. That was ok. Came back home via the Moonee Ponds Ck and WRR trail. Dirty stinking northerly headwind all the way, and hot. Ran outta water just at the top of Jacana hill. To stoopid to stop at the servo at Pascoe Vale Rd, so went to Dalton Rd, almost gagging by the time I got there.

Gotta take the tool bottle off and use the saddle bag with 2 bottles methinks :?

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:21 am

Headwind into the CBD this morning, but more unusual was that I hit a bird (not sure what kind it was) as I was heading down Macarthur St, just next to the Treasury. It's a quick downhill section too. I saw movement out of the corner of my eye, then there was a thump on the front of my helmet and a squawk from the bird. Looked back, but didn't see the little bugger. Not sure if it was a swoop or whether the bird wasn't quite awake and alert yet at 5:20am.... :shock:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:13 am

TailWind wrote:Headwind into the CBD this morning, but more unusual was that I hit a bird (not sure what kind it was) as I was heading down Macarthur St, just next to the Treasury. It's a quick downhill section too. I saw movement out of the corner of my eye, then there was a thump on the front of my helmet and a squawk from the bird. Looked back, but didn't see the little bugger. Not sure if it was a swoop or whether the bird wasn't quite awake and alert yet at 5:20am.... :shock:
MURDERER!!! Haha... I had a magpie chasing (and attacking) another bird. They flew right in front of me when I was jogging and they were clearly intent on only each other and not the world at large. If I'd had my hand out they would have hit it.

Another lovely commute in this morning. :)

Welcome Noggin the Nog.
Nogging the nog wrote:Asking you all with loads of experience, is there an element of motorists who deliberately try and bait cyclists ??
There are a scant few that may deliberately do this, but most simply just don't SEE you there (selective blindness?), or don't believe that you could possibly be going at any decent speed to be in the space they are going to move into.

I understand that Australia's motorists are not as cycle friendly as Britain's, although I have absolutely no evidence or anecdotes to back it up as I have never ridden in Britain.