How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Lizzy

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Lizzy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:02 pm

Little chilly, little headwind, felt surprisingly good considering unscheduled wakefulness ~0300. Felt a bit creaky due to tooling around on my bike all afternoon on Saturday (it is mutually agreed between homeboy and I that I'm removed from the house during AFL grand finals) so took it easy and trained it after 20km. Might head home tonight and see if I can get 2 return trips in this week.

Due to a long period of fatigue and demotivation I have been having impure thoughts about an e-bike. I even went and met some, but maybe I'll try getting fit again first. Signed up for two R2W breakkies so far :)
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:44 pm

Got a puncture on the way home. Then my fly 6 wouldn't turn on. Joy

Update: Fully charged fly6 using original cable. It now turns on

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:06 am

Great commute this morning along the foreshore on the fixie. Spoiled the mood a tad when I arrived at work and realised I'll be wearing the 'emergency reserve' old shirt today, forgot to bring a clean one.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:22 am

Has been a magic week here... nice and dry so have managed a bit of climbing .. well 6500mtr so far ... off to the beach after work thanks to daylight savings... although partner is leaving early so I am commuting their and then back home in the morning via a bit of gravel ... rain due Sunday so wont be so lucky next week

This is from last Fridays commute

and from this morning
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:41 am

Cancan is about to over take me in the endomondo commuter challenge
This morning it was raining at my place so i started putting on the velotoze over shoes. They take forever to get on. I finally get them on, open the garage door and it had stopped raining

kb

Postby kb » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:03 pm

jasonc wrote:Cancan is about to over take me in the endomondo commuter challenge
This morning it was raining at my place so i started putting on the velotoze over shoes. They take forever to get on. I finally get them on, open the garage door and it had stopped raining
That’s the way they usually keep me dry too :-). At least your shoes would have aero.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:16 pm

kb wrote:
jasonc wrote:Cancan is about to over take me in the endomondo commuter challenge
That’s the way they usually keep me dry too :-). At least your shoes would have aero.
The bag cover helped too....

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:44 am

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:20 pm

Well, that's very disheartening when I look at the side by side comparison with Laurens ten Dam.

Kev.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:13 pm

Kev365428 wrote:Well, that's very disheartening when I look at the side by side comparison with Laurens ten Dam.

Kev.
it's ok though. he's not competing in the ACF endomondo commuter challenge

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:40 am

The forecast for Auckland on Sunday was rain up to today... have been lucky and missed most of it... well up to yesterday arvo... meet up with a few others to go find some gravel roads... rush to get to the start on time from work to find everyone late... and me being the only person still lugging a backpack (full of wiggle goodies)... then into the head wind we went... then rain... then a 4.5km climb at an avg of 7% by which time it was dark... a small break from climbing in a rooty walking track with stairs followed by a 15% 600mtr climb with the first 300mtrs at an average of 19%... was wrecked by then and we all decided to skip the rest of the gravel and head home... was just under 95km when I was close to home and normally I would keep riding to hit the 100km mark but being 10pm and temp had dropped below 10c so that was it for me... have made a note to save those rides for the weekend and not for going home
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:46 am

I know we need the rain, but it arrived at the wrong time this morning. Ended up with a direct commute, later than I wanted - no extensions. Took the fixie so I don't need to clean any fiddly bits after the wet track. Rain is gone now, but we still need more.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:29 pm

I just had my 2nd 30° commute home in a row, and of course the heat just reminded me again of the glorious mid-30s heat I had in the European Alps and Pyrenees (especially the latter) in late June to early July. But then it doesn't take much to remind me of that trip: a steep and/or long hill will also do that. I wish I was back there, where cyclists are just treated as road users: nothing more or less.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:26 pm

Disappointed - ride to work day tomorrow ... and I'll be taking the bus. Darn injured shoulder
Anything you can do, I can do slower

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:01 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:I just had my 2nd 30° commute home in a row, and of course the heat just reminded me again of the glorious mid-30s heat I had in the European Alps and Pyrenees (especially the latter) in late June to early July. But then it doesn't take much to remind me of that trip: a steep and/or long hill will also do that. I wish I was back there, where cyclists are just treated as road users: nothing more or less.
I don't know about riding in the heat in those mountains, but I do remember riding over there in the mountains in Austria and Italy very much. Glorious. Absolutely glorious. And every hill here feels like nothing in comparison.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:11 am

cycling in 30c is a distant memory for me...7c this morning, and rained as I was leaving

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:01 pm

Happy ride to work day :) Popped down to Elizabeth Quay to the breakfast, it filled up pretty quick! I was lucky enough to have a lady from Star Physio have a look at my setup, I've always had niggling heavy-handedness and a tendency to slide forward on my saddle, but now have a plan to shorten my stem a bit. Nice coffee and fun atmosphere.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:07 pm

find_bruce wrote:Disappointed - ride to work day tomorrow ... and I'll be taking the bus. Darn injured shoulder

I took the bus today too. Ironically, I consider myself a bike commuter but I don't ride on most Wednesdays due to after work activities, so I missed out on the Ride2Work stuff here in Brisbane.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:40 pm

I had drizzle and wet roads this morning. The breakfast at the law courts was empty.
Punctures Galore for me lately

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:38 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:I just had my 2nd 30° commute home in a row, and of course the heat just reminded me again of the glorious mid-30s heat I had in the European Alps and Pyrenees (especially the latter) in late June to early July. But then it doesn't take much to remind me of that trip: a steep and/or long hill will also do that. I wish I was back there, where cyclists are just treated as road users: nothing more or less.
I don't know about riding in the heat in those mountains, but I do remember riding over there in the mountains in Austria and Italy very much. Glorious. Absolutely glorious. And every hill here feels like nothing in comparison.
Agreed. The hills on my commute seemed flatter than usual when I got back, and I've still managed to keep that overall level of fitness since returning.

tabb

Postby tabb » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:53 am

jasonc wrote:I had drizzle and wet roads this morning. The breakfast at the law courts was empty.
Punctures Galore for me lately
5th puncture for in the last two weeks for me yesterday arvo - completely over this rain and all the crap it washes on paths.

Also didn't stop for breakfast yesterday... would have felt a bit weird being the only cyclist there.

Much better commute this morning. I see there's even a bit of sunlight currently, hope that sticks around.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:24 am

magic morning here...except the temp dropping below 6c... hope the rain clears in Brisbane soon... back there this weekend to see my kids and family

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:07 am

Got in some extra kms before the heavens supposedly open up tomorrow. Great start to the day. Pity I missed Ride2Work yesterday, but little tackers that need to get to school leave it too late to get to work by bicycle on time.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:21 pm

Nailed a free snag and coffee this morning at the City of Vincent R2W breakfast, yay. A good gaggle turned out for it too, I was enterprising enough to stake out some sunny turf right next to the coffee cart when it opened.

Very gnarly looking crash on the Kwinana path as I headed south of the Narrows, rider well and truly down, being tended to by several others and ambos en-route when I passed. According to a fellow who was warning traffic upstream, one of the first on scene was a doctor. Those there seemed to have things under control so I figured the best contribution I could make was to get out of the way and keep going :( Hope he recovers well.

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Beautiful morning yesterday for ride2work day down here in Melbourne.
Bit of a hot 30deg headwind on the way home though, but great to see so many out riding their bikes where I would usually be the loansome rider slogging it to work without seeing another rider.