How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

TailWind

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:53 am

After my involuntary close-up view of the Darebin Creek Trail surface yesterday morning, I headed back that way yesterday afternoon and had a good look at the section from the direction I take in the mornings.

View of the upcoming right turn - note the expansion joint between the two sections:

A little closer...

and even closer..

The 700x28 tyre floats nicely over the groove, but the 700x25 gets trapped - which is what happened yesterday morning and brought me down. Have reported this via the Go-Fix app, let's see what happens.

Also, encountered this idiot on a trail bike flying along the Darebin Creek path - a cyclist and a group of school kids were just ahead of him:

The thigh muscle that took a hit from the bar end was still a little painful and stiff for this morning's commute, so I took it easy.
Plenty of foxes about, including two youngsters that where chasing each other making coughing/snarling noises - I just saw two sets of red eyes heading straight towards me before veering off. Quite unnerving.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:58 am

Stay safe everyone, seems to be some bad luckl going around.

This morning was an interrupted commute for me. My usual route with one intersection of note and three roundabouts caused me to virtually stop at each this morning. Very unusual. Most of the time I cruise through all locations with occasional slow down at one or maybe two.

Car coming at the first T, slow, wait, wobble then off. Said car then had to stop to give way on the roundabout, I had to slow to an almost stop and lose all my downhill momentum, then same at the second roundabout. The third roundabout I managed to slip up the left a bit, but then waited for a car to get ahead of me after I snuck past him, then the speed hump sowed down the cars enough for me to have to brake or again slide up the left. I chose the brake option.

Lost momentum, put it into cruise mode and enjoyed the perfect weather for the rest of the way.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:19 am

In this post I need to offer a number of apologies.

Firstly to the ‘gentleman’ in the battered white utility I’m sorry that my turning right from a right hand lane caused you such grief. However, your various comments do not apply to me, my family or anyone that I know. Might I suggest that you visit Brazilian Beauty as currently you are, at best, only 10 hairs short of being a baboon.

To the snake that I ran over in the Boondall Wetlands I offer my sincere apologies. I hope that any injuries that you suffered are minor and you quickly recover. The fault is of course all mine

To the ‘person’ in the silver vehicle in Maine Road this morning I also apologise. Obviously my tooting along in the bike lane at 22 kph provoked you into proceeded down Maine Road at extremely high speed and then being unable to stop at the lights at the bottom of the hill. I hope that the first and only person that you kill is yourself.

With all that off my chest I am feeling cleansed.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:55 pm

first ride in nearly 2 weeks to work, started at 11:45 weather was okies wind not so much, stopped for a drink with the wife then continued on to work

yesterday had a nice ride to the wife's work, got yelled at by some lycra lovers for doing wheelies along corro drive, think they where just jealous :P

wes2412

Postby wes2412 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:26 pm

20 minutes

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:17 am

just got home,

airport to kenmore, lovely ride, first half i missed the rain but got the very wet roads resst of the way was lovely

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:49 am

Yesterday's commute home was just a normal commute with a headwind.

This morning I arrived sweaty, spotted with mud, covered in a spiderweb or ten and loved every minute of my diverted by MTB commute. The air was still, it was foggy and the sun was rising. Well, loved almost every minute, by the time I got back on the road near work I reached down to lock out the rear shock and got a shock, I'd been riding all that off road with the shock locked. Still that was only a few seconds of negative. It also means my Yeti needs more time in the wild.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

alexander

Postby alexander » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:53 pm

After a week off due to some lower back issues I'm back, and how did I miss riding, PT is just the pits.

Melburn: 12º, 0-5km winds, NNW. Sunny. Footscray to CBD. 7:20am

What a morning! Slightly chilly, and I watched the sun rising as I rode in, hardly any wind. Took it easy due to my back, and enjoyed the ride immensely. Got passed, but I just didn't care today. Also rode with my new AYUPS today and felt safer as two different people decided against pulling out of side streets in front of me, because of the lights.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:02 pm

I had lovely rides home last night and to work this morning, even with some people recognising the gloves (I do like my gloves).

alexander

Postby alexander » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:06 pm

Summernight wrote:I had lovely rides home last night and to work this morning, even with some people recognising the gloves (I do like my gloves).
good to see that nothing has dampened your love of riding.

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:40 pm

Summernight wrote:I had lovely rides home last night and to work this morning, even with some people recognising the gloves (I do like my gloves).
Yes those gloves. Despite the dire circumstances in which they were displayed to the world, I couldn't but remark how... err ...pink they were. Very Stylish.

So commuting here has been very sporadic due having to transport crippled wife around, who is recovering from knee surgery. Only getting about half of the usual kms ridden and can be quite frustrating, but it's for a good cause. Actually, with a drenching monsoon burst going through the Cairns now, it's probably not too bad a time to have a forced rest off the bike

westab

Postby westab » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:31 pm

:lol:
oxonabike wrote:
Yes those gloves. Despite the dire circumstances in which they were displayed to the world, I couldn't but remark how... err ...pink they were. Very Stylish.

So commuting here has been very sporadic due having to transport crippled wife around, who is recovering from knee surgery. Only getting about half of the usual kms ridden and can be quite frustrating, but it's for a good cause. Actually, with a drenching monsoon burst going through the Cairns now, it's probably not too bad a time to have a forced rest off the bike
Good on you OX - as much as we all like riding our loved ones are more important. I hope Mrs Ox has a speedy recovery.

By the way I do think there are two exercises that are low impact, increase bone density, improve cardio health, and improve ones feeling of well being. One is swimming I just can't think of the other so please do some research and introduce Mrs OX to the other exercise - she may just like it :lol: 8)

Good rides this week - realy enjoying the kms I am able to do at the moment even if the changing weather makes me feel like I have a cold in the mornings. All is good once I get moving.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:05 pm

Roadkill in the Brunswick St bike lane this morning, just south of Merri Creek.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:33 pm

Lovely ride in this morning. A truck at the intersection of Albert/Elizabeth and Hoddle was really, really impatient to get in front of all the cyclists waiting on his left at the light, so started pushing ahead prior to the green and floored it and drove close to a couple of cyclists in front of me when it did turn green. Since he was clearly going to do what he did from the start, I waited until he wouldn't cause me any danger before pushing off on the green and heading on my merry way.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:06 pm

Pretty standard commutes over the last couple of days, no critters, MMs (well, within tolerable limits), and no attempts at throwing myself at the ground and (not) missing.
Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Jonno

Postby Jonno » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:40 pm

Got smashed by the rain this morning, but the ride home was awesome (didn't see a single cyclist!).

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:33 pm

I got to do 4 return trips between Redcliffe and Fortitude Valley last week which gives me 316 kms for me. I'm hoping for 5 return trips this week. The forecast is looking like they are going to be wet kms, at least the change rooms at work won't be crowded.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

alexander

Postby alexander » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:43 am

Melburn: 12º Overcast - Drizzle/Showers, 0-5kms S-SE wind. 7:15am Footscray to CBD.

It was dry when I started in Footscray, but by the time I got to Costco, the ground was wet, and it started showering. Nearly made it without it raining, but I was prepared so it wasn't completely awful. Castelli Nanoflex 3/4 knicks, arm warmers, and under vest. So I wasn't cold, and was hardly wet. Still a fair few people braving the weather this morning which was surprising, as the city looked almost black this morning. Also the AYUPS did the job this morning. I had good visibility of the road, and people could see me.

Got wheel sucked nearly the entire length of Footscray road, only to be jumped up the small overpass near bolte fwy. No thanks, no nothing. You're welcome.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:55 am

Missed the showers this morning more by luck than anything else. Got a few metres of CX practice due to path works on the capital city trail under Royal Parade.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:58 am

Felt a bit flat on Friday afternoon and decided to forsake the usual stop at my brother's place for an early night home.
Got a little worse over the weekend, and pretty much didn't budge from the couch yesterday...think I must have caught a bug from one of the kiddos.

Pulled myself together this morning and headed out, taking it easy. Beat the wet stuff into the CBD.
I miss the Durano Plus on the front, I don't have the same cornering confidence with the SMP 700x25. Thinking of reverting back to the SDP...

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:53 am

Gorgeous weather this morning, interesting ride in.

Spotted a fellow getting up from a crash of some sort coming into Leederville. As I approached, he walked his bike off the path into bushes and started heading towards the cafe strip. He was carrying his helmet, looked a bit out of it from what I could see and was wearing some blood. Pulled over and yelled after him to ask if he was OK, he kept going so took that as a "yes" and went on my way, hope I'm right :?

Little bit of aggro through the Kwinana PSP detour - to the fellow in the truck behind me tooting all the way up Mill Pt Rd, a very good morning to you too, sir :D Then as I was waiting to turn right into Richardson, got a slow shake of the head from a guy in an oncoming 4WD for reasons that escape me. It was nearly all I could do not to flip him a bird; sadly at that moment I'd forgotten about the "blow-a-kiss" trick, which would have been perfect.

Then got some CCR action from the Pagoda all the way to work ... I acquitted myself respectably I think but now I'm pooped and I have to work all day!
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:36 pm

Had a school mum try and take me out with her car door. She missed, not least because I had noticed the way she drove & was well clear
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

kb

Postby kb » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:55 pm

alexander wrote: Still a fair few people braving the weather this morning which was surprising, as the city looked almost black this morning.
The city may have looked black but the BoM radar looked pretty clear. And I forget I'd already used my spare dry socks at work. Ah well.

On the plus side, for once I got the lights at Kew Junction.

kb

How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby kb » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:00 pm

kb wrote:
alexander wrote: Still a fair few people braving the weather this morning which was surprising, as the city looked almost black this morning.
The city may have looked black but the BoM radar looked pretty clear. And I'd forgotten I'd already used my spare dry socks at work. Ah well.

On the plus side, for once I got the lights at Kew Junction.
[edit: Er... Botched edit :-) ]

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:11 pm

Lizzy wrote:Little bit of aggro through the Kwinana PSP detour - to the fellow in the truck behind me tooting all the way up Mill Pt Rd, a very good morning to you too, sir :D Then as I was waiting to turn right into Richardson, got a slow shake of the head from a guy in an oncoming 4WD for reasons that escape me. It was nearly all I could do not to flip him a bird; sadly at that moment I'd forgotten about the "blow-a-kiss" trick, which would have been perfect.
I need to keep reminding myself of that trick. :P

Nice ride into work today, even with the drizzle. I had to drop the partner off (in the car) at the airport at 6:10AM-ish before the commute. We passed three rear-ender accidents on the way to the airport that were causing traffic delays. I just wanted to get on my bike.

Plus the tailgating huge 4WD on the way back into the city again who was pretty much glued to my rear bumper (incidentally I 'saved' him from getting a speeding fine from the police car doing speed checks in an 80 construction zone near The Age printing factory as I was overtaking others in the right lane and therefore blocking his speedy driving, not that he appreciated that). My poor blood pressure. At least the ride into work helped and the compression pants seemed to make the legs feel less tired. :)