How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jasonc

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:01 pm

had a lizzy moment this morning. hopped in the shower, turned the hot water on (was 5 degrees this morning) and the tap fell off.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:45 am

Dipped below zero this morning...might be time to get the winter gear out soon
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:46 pm

Cold and lonely, did my 70km round trip and only saw 2 each way. None going the same direction.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:15 am

Missed riding last week and the car is getting serviced at home this morning so I rode... In drizzle... With very wet roads... And I've forgotten to bring clean underwear. Choices: commando or a wet backside after the shower. :(. Should have put the mudguard on
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:51 am

No commuting yesterday as I had to take partner to airport but when I got home yesterday I noticed the front tyre was flat... again... have had so many punctures lately its no longer funny so binned the $100+ Schwalbe one tyre after less than 1000km (rear lasted 200km) and replaced it with my $20 commuting tyre...that will solve that problem..
forecast this morning was 3c so thought I would wear my winter jacket... only got to 5c and was over dressed...was a sweat fest...Got to work ...had my shower and then noticed no shirt... had to put the cycling kit back on and go home... have a spare polo in the draw now
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

westab

Postby westab » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:13 pm

Cold and wet this morning - and looking cold again tonight (but not wet fingers crossed).

Tomorrow morning is looking cold but I have meeting early so I'll have to be up and going (some times I can leave it a bit later to allow the sun to warm things up.)

The good news about Saturday is there is no netball and the son has a late soccer game so it's a sleep in then a late morning ride to get the fruit and vegetables - first time in months :mrgreen:

You watch now someone in our home will forget to turn off the alarm and then I'll be up anyway :x
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

ChrisR24

Postby ChrisR24 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:18 pm

We've switched to our new offices in the CBD and I did my first ride in today. Still sorting out a good path to use when leaving the bikeway and traversing the CBD streets. Eventually I hope to find something that's safe-ish and easy to use.

Not bad end of trip features here - secure bike racks, showers with towel service, etc. Nice.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:39 pm

Perth

There was hardly a rider, walker or jogger this morning. Indeed I did not see my first rider until I had travleed more than a km on the normally busy Kwinana Freeway PSP.

It was a slightly uncomfortable ride into Perth. Some drizzle and copping a bit of salt water spray at South Perth blowing in from Melville Water . But not long after I left my coffee shop to return home the squalls came in. And they were COLD squalls. Pancho on, head sock on, gloves on. Brrrr.

So while it still required some riding at each end, I took the easy option and caught the train to Bull Creek. Good move.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:55 pm

Wet out. I blame Geoff

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:18 am

Wet out...I also blame Geoff

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:19 am

Wet out...I also blame Geoff

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:50 pm

Got home before the rain. I thank Geoff.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:07 pm

cancan64 wrote:Wet out...I also blame Geoff
I installed a new chain on Sunday. I also blame Geoff :lol:

Took the train home last night, chain still clean hahaha
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:08 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Got home before the rain. I thank Geoff.
You owe me.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:16 pm

I have been pretty lucky, missed the rain but wet roads... but not lucky now...about to head home and looked out tye window to a heavy thunderstorm... I cannot see across the road.... think I will be like a duck and ride the direct 9km busy road home

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:41 am

my BOA failed (couldn't undo it) so I was going to get that fixed yesterday after work (I tried a shop during the day that said they could help me. i went down there. it was suggested I needed new shoes. if you want to know what shop not to go to, PM me)
when i got down to the bike i had a front flat. no idea what caused it. even though i have the floor pump upstairs I just gassed it. shoe now fixed :D

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:56 am

It's school hols so I can ride my commute 5days a week! Yesterday I took the long way to work. It was cool but not cold. On the Tramway track I saw another rider approach after I had stopped to read some chalked graffiti among the sprayed tags. It was an interesting religious type message. I decided I'd try and stick with him while I could, me on a flat bar, him on a cyclocross disc brake 1x11 bike. Was hard work but I did that section a lot faster if I'd been on my own due to the extra motivation of not being dropped - with my legs passing wasn't an option. Thanked him for ht motivation when we got to the lights at the other end. 3rd best time for me (I blame my winter condition) and with some strava stalking he got a PR too.

This morning was beautifully calm, but colder because of it. I rodea fiar way with hands in armpits trying to keep my fingers warm, but it didn't really help.

It's interesting that once I got to work and started to warm up that just before the shower, about 10mins after riding, my chest/stomach skin was icy cold to touch and yet I felt warm.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:34 pm

My commute is only 3.2km since I moved a couple of months ago. Extended that going home last night to 18km going the long way of heading west for a bit then turn around to go east. Kinda enjoyable in the cool.

Jim

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:54 pm

Rained all day in Brisbane. I got in before the rain started. Left after it finished. Half way home the fog set in. Bizarre

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:40 am

I went from rain...then temp dropped below 5c then fog and then cleared up... all within an hour

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:52 pm

Nice and cold again this morning. Rugged up a bit, then set off on a detoured course because Council Cleanup. Spotted a bike in one of the piles, and when I got around the back of the pile I saw the word Scott on the frame. Further investigation and I had to trudge back home. No way I was leaving a proper bike there. All that was missing was a front skewer which meant tucking the front wheel under my arm and carrying the front end of it while wheeling the commuter.

kbekus

Postby kbekus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:52 am

Wow, cold in Melbourne today, there was frost everywhere on the way in... even on the new bridge on the Moonee Ponds creek trail, and it was *slippery*. I crashed on it, several other people crashed on it. Time to let the council know that painted wood is not a great general access surface.

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:18 am

yup. pretty cold in Sydney too. 4C at 6am, 3.8C at 7am (hmmm??).
anyway, it was 4C when i left home. probably at the lower limit of my Gabba (with a base layer). It was more comfortable with my soft shell yesterday.

on another note, i cleaned my cycling glasses with the Kobayashi wipe that came free with this month's issue of Bicycling Australia. WOW! what a big difference. I could see so clearly this morning. I had to double-check t0 make sure I had the right pair of glasses on! More importantly, it didn't fog up when i stopped, exactly as advertised.

westab

Postby westab » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:53 pm

caneye wrote:yup. pretty cold in Sydney too. 4C at 6am, 3.8C at 7am (hmmm??).
I hear the Hmmmm?? and say yes it's normal. The coldest part of the day is just after sun rise. Riding on Tuesday morning to my mates place at 6am there was a light covering of frost. Leaving his place an hour latter there was twice as much frost.

It has been that way for as long as I can remember - and not only in Sydney it was like that out on my uncles farm in Canowindra as well.

I think we are in for plenty more cold days.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:33 pm

Yep, sure was cold this morning, full jacket, full finger gloves and still feeling a bit cold.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)